Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Lenovo Supersizes Its Yoga Line with 27-Inch Touchscreen All-In-One/Tablet

http://blogs.wsj.com/personal-technology/2015/10/19/lenovo-supersizes-its-yoga-line-with-27-inch-touchscreen-all-in-onetablet/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

lol @ the tortuous staging of this image. I can imagine the back and forth with executives on set on how we need to see the product at THIS angle but also we need to see the canvas and the guy's face leading to this completely absurd neck-destroying pose

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
he can't even see the screen and it's loving up his writing lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I wonder if the tattoos were photoshopped on after and there was a meeting where they brainstormed potential tattoo designs

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

Sir Unimaginative posted:

It actually does that with opening the file itself, rather than inside a program/'app'/whatever, after any change to the relevant file extension or protocol's association. I don't know if it does that for the first time an extension or protocol prefix is associated with something.

Android does the same thing; I don't know about other OSes/UIs.

This is not a comparative value judgment, but an 'are you sure' on file associations is actually pretty hard to argue against unless you're not satisfied with attacking Microsoft pack-in garbage on its own merits.

somebody already pointed it out, but that wasn't the first time I opened a html file. firefox had been set as the default handler for while.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

It actually does that with opening the file itself, rather than inside a program/'app'/whatever, after any change to the relevant file extension or protocol's association. I don't know if it does that for the first time an extension or protocol prefix is associated with something.

Android does the same thing; I don't know about other OSes/UIs.

This is not a comparative value judgment, but an 'are you sure' on file associations is actually pretty hard to argue against unless you're not satisfied with attacking Microsoft pack-in garbage on its own merits.

Users are sometimes dumb but will still (might have to) use general-purpose OSes anyway. That box actually probably stops some bad stuff from happening. Until dehumanize yourself and face to Chromebook (or equivalent) becomes a viable way to handle one's computing affairs that isn't going away.

Also it only happens once if you set it explicitly through anything other than that box (because it can't tell if it was you or a program that did it, probably because of a lifetime of technical debt or something). Happening consistently with something that has no or a contested association until something gets alwaysed was not even new to XP.

Well yeah, that part's garbage, and you already saw my opinion on the clingy-rear end defaults page.

lmao this guy

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
lenovo targeting the key "ethnically unclear contortionist" demographic

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

pseudorandom name posted:

the awesome gaming power of our laptop streaming from our console

at least this has a real life common use case of "mom won't let me use the tv to play video games"

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

It is supposed to be a big tablet, so why wouldn't they advertise using that as the menu board instead of a black board?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MrMoo posted:

It is supposed to be a big tablet, so why wouldn't they advertise using that as the menu board instead of a black board?

a microsoft guy probably smacked his forehead when he read this post

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ahmeni posted:

at least this has a real life common use case of "mom won't let me use the tv to play video games"

except if your cable box goes through the console as intended, this doesn't work

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

forza is good. except for the music

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Space-Pope posted:

lenovo targeting the key "ethnically unclear contortionist" demographic

that's not ethnically unclear, dude's a honky

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Cocoa Crispies posted:

that's not ethnically unclear, dude's a honky

honkied again

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

univbee posted:

except if your cable box goes through the console as intended, this doesn't work

loving lol but does anyone actually do this though?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Amethyst posted:

lol @ the tortuous staging of this image. I can imagine the back and forth with executives on set on how we need to see the product at THIS angle but also we need to see the canvas and the guy's face leading to this completely absurd neck-destroying pose

also why would you loving ever want to use the "tent" or the "stand" modes in a yoga laptop.

just loving put it on the table like a normal laptop.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i say this as an owner of a yoga laptop

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

wouldn't the correct term be honked?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

lmao ipad pro broke windowos vendors

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stux posted:

lmao ipad pro broke windowos vendors

nah foldable tablets were around well before the apple surface

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Stymie posted:

nah foldable tablets were around well before the apple surface

i think he meant the size maybe the ipad pro is pretty big isnt it?

lord of the files
Sep 4, 2012

Wheany posted:

wait, have they told how much ram surface book has? and what kind is it?

have they told us what type of nvidia gpu they will be using here? everywhere I look I only see “nvidia gpu” but i don’t see any specs on what kind of gpu or how powerful it is.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Nitrocat posted:

have they told us what type of nvidia gpu they will be using here? everywhere I look I only see “nvidia gpu” but i don’t see any specs on what kind of gpu or how powerful it is.

it's allegedly below a 940m

lord of the files
Sep 4, 2012

at this point they might as well replace custom tv firmwares with android. no reason to be making insecure mini-firmwares that transmit your http traffic from your smart tv in plaintext when you can be running android.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Nitrocat posted:

at this point they might as well replace custom tv firmwares with android. no reason to be making insecure mini-firmwares that transmit your http traffic from your smart tv in plaintext when you can be running android.

and android is different how??

med school head
Apr 17, 2012

Ludwig van Halen posted:

and android is different how??

joke the thats

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

gargle chome posted:

joke the thats

:doh:

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

univbee posted:

it's allegedly below a 940m
going to get beaten out by intel graphics next year unless iris pro beats it out already

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Phoenixan posted:

going to get beaten out by intel graphics next year unless iris pro beats it out already

It does

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Amethyst posted:

the martian has several product placements for the surface but its never used for anything. they just sit on desks in front of the characters' actual useful computers

always at just the right eye-catching angle though

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:jackbud:

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

THC posted:

the martian has several product placements for the surface but its never used for anything. they just sit on desks in front of the characters' actual useful computers
I love movies that take the realistic details into account

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

THC posted:

always at just the right eye-catching angle though

the amount of money microsoft spent to have its products appear in tv & movies is going to be a topic of some grad student's paper in a decade or two

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i lied, there is actually one part where a surface is on a guy's desk displaying charts. but its still never actually used. unlike the numerous Samsung laptops in the movie which are actually used. i guess samsung outbid microsoft, or maybe microsoft got wind that samsung poo poo was in the movie and was like "us too!"

so then they kind of shoved some surfaces in the NASA sets during last minute reshoots

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 21, 2015

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

everything I hear about that book/movie is incredibly gauche

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Amethyst posted:

for a botanist he sure knows his way around rover hardware
oh and the chinese space agency heroically reveals their secret rocket program that allows them to help the stranded american astronaut. this definitely has nothing to do with filmmaker interest in the lucrative chinese market

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Amethyst posted:

It's a very good movie, but hey sorry you didn't enjoy it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

oh and the chinese space agency heroically reveals their secret rocket program that allows them to help the stranded american astronaut. this definitely has nothing to do with filmmaker interest in the lucrative chinese market

it actually doesn't because it's in the book

• Locked thread