Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I've finished the Hunting log and I'm trying to promote to the last sargeant rank.

I'm a Chief Serpent Sargeant now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Leofish posted:

There was an event this past fall where you solved a puzzle and Yoshi-P's in-game avatar thanked you for playing. :3:

A couple years ago a friend of mine and I went to PAX East and stood in line to do the Ravana fight and it was pretty neat seeing Yoshi-P walking around and watching groups fight Ravana for the first time and clapping when he saw people complete it :kimchi:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Trawling JP twitter again:

https://twitter.com/yura622/status/884415287126237186
https://twitter.com/yura622/status/942326275175211009

Bonus points if you can read moon runes, but the artist is sufficiently great that you still get something out of it if you don't.

https://twitter.com/harusi00/status/882537794114998272
https://twitter.com/harusi00/status/904716232464535552
https://twitter.com/harusi00/status/924637120974659587

Click through for album on both.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

https://twitter.com/harusi00/status/806849309710815232

Does anyone have a link to the translated version of this one of that artist's comics? I remember it being good and sad.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

vOv posted:

*trim*

Does anyone have a link to the translated version of this one of that artist's comics? I remember it being good and sad.

Why as a matter of fact I do.

http://harusi00.tumblr.com/post/161956214467

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Thank you!

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Leofish posted:

There was an event this past fall where you solved a puzzle and Yoshi-P's in-game avatar thanked you for playing. :3:

That was really sweet. I loved that.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Leofish posted:

The second year of The Rising we straight up got a developer's room easter egg straight out of Final Fantasy 2/4, Chrono Trigger et all. It was pretty heartwarming.

Mad Science
Jul 23, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

I've finished the Hunting log and I'm trying to promote to the last sargeant rank.

Have you completed the dzemael darkhold and aurum vale dungeons? iirc, that's the rank where you can't rank up until you've done the two quests for those two dungeons

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Nm

isk fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 26, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Mad Science posted:

Have you completed the dzemael darkhold and aurum vale dungeons? iirc, that's the rank where you can't rank up until you've done the two quests for those two dungeons

I've done them but not in time he's assigned them. I guess I'll work on that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I thought it was Qarm you had to redo. Then a bee stung me and I had to do Qarm again to kill the dinosaur! QARM!!!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
You do Halatali, Qarn, and Wanderer's Palace for the Hunting Log, and it doesn't even have to be a full run. Dzemael and Aurum Vale need to be done in full.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

WoW's general aesthetic is ugly as sin though, and its popularity is one reason why a lot of western fantasy games look like poo poo.
WoW looked amazing compared to its competition when it was new.

It's just this was thirteen years ago, and while they've done graphical updates and such over the years that only gone so far. Hell, FFXIV having little visual details like hair actually having physics and being compatible with most helms is amazing compared to a lot of MMOs.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Asimo posted:

WoW looked amazing compared to its competition when it was new.

It's just this was thirteen years ago, and while they've done graphical updates and such over the years that only gone so far. Hell, FFXIV having little visual details like hair actually having physics and being compatible with most helms is amazing compared to a lot of MMOs.

I was talking about the art design, not the graphics.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

WoW art design is great and one of the strongest things going for it.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

My favourite thing about FFXIV is seeing the honeymoon period fade and people start agreeing that most the game actually is a slog and that all that negative stuff is right.

Yet people still keep playing despite it, which is the real vouch for quality the game has.

sunk costs v:v:v

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

I was talking about the art design, not the graphics.

Yeah, this. I've tried WoW twice. The first time I was driven off really fast by the look and feel (and annoyed by the hours of work installing external add-ons to get the UI close to acceptable). The second time I decided to ignore those things and made it to the mid twenties before quitting when I realized there wouldn't be interesting quest or a cohesive story for hundreds of hours. Bitch all you want about "pray return" in FFXIV: at least it means there's an overarching story from 1-50.

EDIT: basically at minimum I would like levelling in an MMO to work as a single player RPG. FFXIV (and LOTRO and SWTOR, though I gave up on that last for other reasons) met that standard for me; WOW hasn't seemed to.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 27, 2017

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

WoW's art design is very solid and distinctive in a comic book/cartoon sort of way and it's great for WoW.

But for a brief period of time there was way too much stuff that imitated it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I don't mind WOW's art outside the game much but it looks like poo poo when playing it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Zoidberg is my favorite Final Fantasy XIV character.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Alder posted:

sunk costs v:v:v

Honestly, the only thing keeping me from being permanently subscribed is a combination of real life obligations leaving me without much energy and a shift in the kind of content I'm interested in. I've said it before, but if they added in a Mythic+ system to this game, I'd play every week until I turned into a skeleton.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

hey me and some dudes are playing this again, is the process still Main Story MSQs > Buy Expansion 1 > Expansion MSQs > Buy Expansion 2? Everything is locked behind story progress right?

e: I know I can make a dragon dude if I get the first expac sooner rather than later but I'm not worried about that

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Babe Magnet posted:

hey me and some dudes are playing this again, is the process still Main Story MSQs > Buy Expansion 1 > Expansion MSQs > Buy Expansion 2? Everything is locked behind story progress right?

Expansion #1 is now included with expansion #2, so no need to worry about a separate purchase. I'd say play to level 50, if you enjoy the game, pick up the expansion and keep on going.

And yes, nearly everything is still locked behind story progress. There's an option now to skip ahead with a jump potion, but that's a separate cost on top of buying the game. It isn't a terrible idea if you already have friends playing current content and it'd take you more than a month or two to grind up to level 60 at your regular pace.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

For some additional context, there's almost nothing that requires the expansions until you reach level 50. The only thing available that matters is the Au Ra race from heavensward, but that's not a big deal unless you're super into anime dragon people for some reason.

Shy posted:

WoW art design is great and one of the strongest things going for it.
Yeah, it's one thing to dislike the style, but on an objective level the art direction for WoW (and blizzard's stuff in general) is pretty amazing. I'd say Square/FFXIV's is noticeably better at the moment sure, but 1.0 was rough as hell and you sure as gently caress couldn't do that level of detail in 2004.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

neat

we're all in the mid-low thirties right now, just killed Titan, so we've still got a bit to go. This is as far as any of us have been

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

How are you enjoying Hildibrand?

There is a thing I want to mention in regards to a lost in translation joke towards the end of that quest.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hildibrand is on hold, on account I haven’t been able to team up with some friends to fight Gilgamesh yet.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
Hey, asked this last night but I think it got lost in the shuffle. I'm leveling BRD up right now, and having a great time with it. One thing I'm a bit unsure of is what to do in big pulls. Obviously, Quick Nock is your spammable AoE, but I get the impression that I should be throwing Poison Arrow and Windbite out as well for Ballad/Paeon procs, especially since I'm about to unlock Rain of Death. Is there a general number of DoTs that you should throw out before switching to Quick Nock spam, and should I prefer one over the other?

As way of thanks, have an arguably-cute Elezen playing the flute in Mor Dhona.

Also, I think we have a few new people running through the game; if you're on Excalibur, don't be afraid to ask for help from people in your FC or on the Discord. Helping newbies learn stuff is fun! When they're actually willing to learn, which most random Duty Finder people aren't.

Kobata
Oct 11, 2012

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Hey, asked this last night but I think it got lost in the shuffle. I'm leveling BRD up right now, and having a great time with it. One thing I'm a bit unsure of is what to do in big pulls. Obviously, Quick Nock is your spammable AoE, but I get the impression that I should be throwing Poison Arrow and Windbite out as well for Ballad/Paeon procs, especially since I'm about to unlock Rain of Death. Is there a general number of DoTs that you should throw out before switching to Quick Nock spam, and should I prefer one over the other?

As way of thanks, have an arguably-cute Elezen playing the flute in Mor Dhona.

Also, I think we have a few new people running through the game; if you're on Excalibur, don't be afraid to ask for help from people in your FC or on the Discord. Helping newbies learn stuff is fun! When they're actually willing to learn, which most random Duty Finder people aren't.

Rain is 100 potency, Quick Nock is 110, but a quick calculation of the lv70 dots puts them at 450/550, meaning they'll be better even without accounting for Mage's up to 5 targets, and with Mage's letting you spam it basically every OGCD slot when you've got that many due to sheer number of dots running... apparently 50 targets.

So: Use DoTs + Rain all the time when Mage's is up, outside of Mage's use Quick Nock above 5.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I've been watching videos comparing 1.0 to everything after ARR and oh my god Aurum Vale was somehow even worse.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Aurum Vale is why I no longer do LLDR, Alliance Roulette is my friend now.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
The last time I did Vale was when I for some reason decided to run WHM in leveling roulette.

It was fun times, people pulling every mob in the first room, both DPS getting nailed by every Bad Breath, going OOM because folks tried to go up to 4 or 5 poison stacks despite being told multiple times what to do, the BLM getting one shotted by Coincounter's melee moves oddly enough

I don't think I have played a healer since.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I seriously think the AV thing is a meme, I've run it a bunch since coming back and have had 1 bad experience the whole time, despite dozens of first time bonus runs. The mechanics are super straightforward and quick to explain

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

I got Aurum Vale yesterday in LLDR, with a sprout tank. Who proceeded to pull basically the entire front room. we only wiped once and that was partially because I stopped healing after he grabbed an extra pack for the 3rd time.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

I always start trash fights with Straight Shot then immediately tag at least two (and usually three) mobs with both DoTs. Then spam Quick Nock while hitting Rain of Death between GCD every time it pops. Don't worry too much about refreshing your DoTs. Anything you tagged should be dead or close enough to it that it's a waste of time to recast them or Iron Jaws. If the fight is still going after your DoTs wear off just tag the least damaged surviving mob with both DoTs or a couple mobs with just Windbite. Ideally you're looking for something with at least 40%+ health left to get the most bang out of your DoT. The pack should have been winnowed down enough by the time your first DoTs wear off so folks are starting to focus fire on what's left and nothing should live long enough to justify tagging multiple mobs with both DoTs most of the time.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kashuno posted:

I seriously think the AV thing is a meme, I've run it a bunch since coming back and have had 1 bad experience the whole time, despite dozens of first time bonus runs. The mechanics are super straightforward and quick to explain

I healed a 65 minute AV this year. I can't believe we finished it at all tbh.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Yesterday when I got into the Vale we wiped on the first boss because the tank didn't know to eat fruit and wasn't reading the chat at all. The healer immediately left. Then the second time the tank ate fruit, but also stood in the yellow death. Then I got disconnected.

The really lazy thing is that the first and third boss have basically the exact same mechanics.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

SonicRulez posted:

Yesterday when I got into the Vale we wiped on the first boss because the tank didn't know to eat fruit and wasn't reading the chat at all. The healer immediately left. Then the second time the tank ate fruit, but also stood in the yellow death. Then I got disconnected.

The really lazy thing is that the first and third boss have basically the exact same mechanics.

Smart healer. I'll dps aurum vale any time, healing it? Eeehhhhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Aurum Vale was a mistake.