Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Finished the 18th annual Year's Best Science Fiction (2000)collection edited by Gardner Dozois.
Most of the stories in that years collection were depressing as hell, figure Dozois must have been going through rough stuff that year when picking out the stories.
Only 1 Greg Egan story this time jello on a escalator/moving sidewalk won yet another challenge vs Egan's writing, Charles Stross had 2 stories,
and Peter F Hamilton had such a lovely story I took a break after finishing it & re-read Pratchett's Wyrd Sisters just to clear away the mental funk.

Rick Cook/Ernest Hogan had a interesting alternate history story involving a world where the Aztec empire never fell/fought off the Spanish invasion/didn't get wiped out by smallpox + a south america full of regular dinosaurs + near-human intelligence dinosaurs.

Charles Stross's short story Antibodies predates his Laundry series, and was really strong. The Laundry series went a different way with the use of technology........
or did it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

ToxicFrog posted:

He's written a shitload of other books in that setting, most of which I haven't read, but I would recommend the Daughter of the Empire trilogy (co-written with Janny Wurts).

Yeah the Janny Wurts trilogy owns bones. The Roo and Erik books (Serpentwar trilogy) I thought were pretty enjoyable but those are where I picked up the series in the first place so that probably colors my perceptions, and the Conclave of Shadows series started with a fun take on the Man in the Iron Mask story and finished with a follow up story of the guy that the main character of the first two books spent taking down. I think I read the third to last and second to last books and I got sort of put off them because when the book first came out Feist had accidently swapped out two major major characters (Pug and Magnus, his son) suddenly and unexpectedly and it made things make no sense. He later corrected it but I didn't go back because I thought they were pretty meandering in general and he had killed off a lot of the better characters by then.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

BananaNutkins posted:

I'm reading Raymond E. Feist's Magician right now. I was surprised at how solid the prose was, and the world and characters have more detail than anticipated. Very vanilla Tolkin-esque setting, though, and a typical coming of age/hero's journey style plot.

Any fans of the series? Does it ever get more adult?

Also, I realized about 1/3rd of the way through that Betrayal at Krondor, the ancient pc game, was in the same universe. Loved that game back in the day.

I remember enjoying the first few books greatly back when I was a D&D-playing high school kid. No idea how well they would hold up today, think I'll let them stay in the fond memories box.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Seconding this hard although you might get somewhat more than you asked for.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

YES. I love the Wizard Knight. It has some of Wolfe's standard obscure puzzles and narrator games, but also presents an upbeat coming of age story drawing on Arthurian myth in a cool Norse mythology setting. Its plotting is also a bit tighter than Wolfe's other work, though that's not saying much.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Tor's free ebook of the month is: The Quantum Thief

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

less laughter posted:

Read this if you haven't everyone. It's real loving cool.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I haven't read it but it is a bit of a running joke in our book store whenever someone picks it up to read the blurb and then we watch their faces.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

less laughter posted:

Still the perfect example on why 100% show with zero tell can be a problem, I love it when half the mystery of the book is figuring out what the gently caress the characters are talking about.

*This weird unique thing in just this story that I made up, that everyone in universe knows 0 description figure out from the context clues I'm dropping in bits and pieces all over the book so you have to reread the book to fully get whats going on.
*Some chandelier with no major plot significance, lets give that a 3 paragraph description.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Still the perfect example on why 100% show with zero tell can be a problem, I love it when half the mystery of the book is figuring out what the gently caress the characters are talking about.

*This weird unique thing in just this story that I made up, that everyone in universe knows 0 description figure out from the context clues I'm dropping in bits and pieces all over the book so you have to reread the book to fully get whats going on.
*Some chandelier with no major plot significance, lets give that a 3 paragraph description.

If you like that sort of thing I'd strongly recommend Graydon Saunders.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

cultureulterior posted:

The March North is extremely good military fantasy where figuring out what the gently caress is going on in this quiet* little corner of a post-d&d apocalypse hellscape is part of the fun.

The standards, in particular. And the weeds. And the wizards.

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Finished the 18th annual Year's Best Science Fiction (2000)collection edited by Gardner Dozois.
Most of the stories in that years collection were depressing as hell

I enjoy reading anthologies and sometimes you can tell the editor's mindset from the types of stories selected. Also I want to say thanks for posting your thoughts on these!

I'm currently going through Hartwell's The World Treasury of Science Fiction and... I discovered that I like Jack London's writing style, John Updike's prose is unbearable for me and a lot of the translated stories are amazing.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

90s Cringe Rock posted:

The March North is extremely good military fantasy where figuring out what the gently caress is going on in this quiet* little corner of a post-d&d apocalypse hellscape is part of the fun.

well this is almost exactly the sort of thing I like. cheers!

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Yeah, I really enjoyed The Quantum Thief but if this sort of thing puts you off probably avoid it, nothing I've ever read throws you into the deep end with no help quite as hard as it does.

Super cool universe though, it's very original.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

Arcsech posted:

Yeah, I really enjoyed The Quantum Thief but if this sort of thing puts you off probably avoid it, nothing I've ever read throws you into the deep end with no help quite as hard as it does.

Yeah it was neat and I don't regret the read, I just really really wanted to love the book and even after I figured out what was going on it was just ehhh okay.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Yeah it was neat and I don't regret the read, I just really really wanted to love the book and even after I figured out what was going on it was just ehhh okay.

It's been a while since I've read it, but I recall thinking the first few chapters were really bad about this, but then it was mostly fine after they got to Mars.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Nevvy Z posted:

Read this if you haven't everyone. It's real loving cool.

I loved it. Is he ever going to write more books?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Phanatic posted:

I loved it. Is he ever going to write more books?

The answer is right there if you click the link.

IYKK
Mar 13, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

Cyborg ninjas. wait, no, that was the Cobra series.

Zahn isn't one of the great authors but he is a consistently fun one. Other Zahn book premises include:
- a planet that eats metal and shits nanotubes
- first contact with aliens that react to radio the way we react to nerve gas
- a solar system that can only be entered by ships piloted by the recently dead
- NYC is full of dryads and gargoyles but they're actually alien refugees from Earth's distant past

Also The Icarus Hunt which is impossible to describe concisely without spoiling the poo poo out of, and the end is too good to spoil.

I read the cobra books and they were boring, slow and overly long. Bland action and eye-rollingly bad "political intrigue". I.e not very fun.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

cultureulterior posted:

Or Steven Erikson.

Ghostmonkey
Mar 22, 2007

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I loved The March North so much I read sequels as well, which I didn't like nearly as much.

Have you read The Human Dress? I'm trying to figure out whether I should pick it up.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Arcsech posted:

Challenge mode is listening to the audiobook of this, especially if you haven't read it before. That was a hosed up experience.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

nessin posted:

Challenge mode is listening to the audiobook of this, especially if you haven't read it before. That was a hosed up experience.

I’ve listened to the audiobook version of this so many times (though only after having read it) I find it kind of meditative. The only other audiobook I’ve done as often is Dune.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Ghostmonkey posted:

I loved The March North so much I read sequels as well, which I didn't like nearly as much.

Have you read The Human Dress? I'm trying to figure out whether I should pick it up.
The sequels were good, but different. I didn't like them quite as much.

I haven't read The Human Dress. Keep considering it, but I'm more interested in more Commonweal.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

cultureulterior posted:

Or not.
March North is fantasy Black company Cook style, the sequels are utter poo poo Minecraft fantasies explaining why he is self published.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
oh darn. that explains having not heard of him or these books.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Selachian posted:

Or Steven Erikson.

Or Bakker or Cook or Wolfe.
One could almost call it generic fantasy.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Comedy option. Kevin J.

Though I think that is because there is never any plot beyond the first few pages.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

Cardiac posted:

the sequels are utter poo poo Minecraft fantasies explaining why he is self published.

For some reason I keep imagining this as a lit-RPG but with Minecraft as the game base instead. Hopefully with complete listings of the protagonists inventory every dozen or so pages.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
It is nothing like that, it's basically wizard students doing civil engineering, but if you'd like I can find you some of that. There is a *lot* of that. Let's see... It's a self-insert too! :)

(dear god no I haven't read this, holy poo poo, even I'm not that desperate to feed nerd words into my eyes)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

90s Cringe Rock posted:

It is nothing like that, it's basically wizard students doing civil engineering, but if you'd like I can find you some of that. There is a *lot* of that. Let's see... It's a self-insert too! :)

(dear god no I haven't read this, holy poo poo, even I'm not that desperate to feed nerd words into my eyes)

Then what are you doing posting here?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Then what are you doing posting here?
I said I'm not that desperate. I'm pretty desperate. The new Yoon Ha Lee and Peter Watts aren't out yet.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Exactly.
So if you buy into his sequels based on March North, you are sorely disappointed to say the least.
March North is ok, nothing new really and could have used some actual editing, but there was clearly options to expand the universe.

Which wasn’t done and I guess here is the reason why he is self published. The sequels are simply just boring with no progression whatsoever. Even latter books of GoT and WoT have more flow.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

andrew smash posted:

I’ve listened to the audiobook version of this so many times (though only after having read it) I find it kind of meditative. The only other audiobook I’ve done as often is Dune.
I was so frustrated that they didn't retain Scott Brick for the third book. He even said it was one of his favorite books he's ever read but they never contacted him when the third one came out and instead used someone else who had a weird recitation rhythm and didn't know how to pronounce anything and it completely ruined my enjoyment of the series.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Think I'll give Gene Wolfe a try. I'll admit everything I've heard about his writing has intimidated me so I never tried.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Think I'll give Gene Wolfe a try. I'll admit everything I've heard about his writing has intimidated me so I never tried.

Personally I find his work impressive on an intellectual level, but not something that I actually enjoy reading. Still, worth giving it a shot.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
The first book of the New Sun comes off as gratuitous shock horror on first read, at least it did for me. I went in expecting the standard hero's journey fantasy tropes, with Severarian rescuing the captive princess he was assigned to torture. I was very, very wrong.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

A Proper Uppercut posted:

He's a pretty easy read. I'm serious. His prose is GOOD. It's a joy to read. Don't worry about all the "THE REAL STORY IS HIDDEN TEN LAYERS DEEP" bullshit. That may be true but it doesn't matter, Wolfe's stories also work fantastically on the surface level, even if sometimes they don't make a lick of sense (looking at you, An Evil Guest).

I think Wolfe's biggest strength as a writer is his characters. They're so...human. Even the aliens and trolls and poo poo.

There's one scene in The Wizard Knight that pops into my head frequently because it's so intensely, depressingly, moving. TWK SPOILERS when Able sees Disiri for what she really is, a shoddily-constructed creature of sticks and leaves and mud, who doesn't have a soul and isn't even "alive," really. But he still loves her.

And then there's the entire Book of the Short Sun, which is probably the most emotional piece of fiction I've ever read. Oh man, the last few chapters of Return to the Whorl are insane. And the scene in In Green's Jungles where Horn clears the sewer on Green - it takes up like a paragraph but packs more thematic resonance into it than the entire body of most SFF authors's works.

I like Gene Wolfe, and you should read him. Start with The Sorcerer's House if you want something fun, The Fifth Head of Cerberus if you want something more serious/intellectual, or just dive right into The Shadow of the Torturer.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Finished the 20th annual Year's Best Science Fiction (2002) collection edited by Gardner Dozois.
Had read about 1/3 of the of the stories in this anthology from other sci-fi story anthologies so it was a quicker read than normal. Quickness of reading aided by the "Greg Egan hell no" apathy effect making me skip his story + the following 3 stories in the anthology. I will never know or care if the stories I skipped were good, Greg Egan just taints the hell out of things for me.

Ian R. MacLeod, Nancy Kress, Paul McAuley, Molly Glass, Ian MacDonald, and Geoff Ryman all had interesting stories and/or good characters in them. Robert Reed dropped acid & tried to emulate Vonnegut(and failed) for his story, Alastair Reynolds story took place in the Revelation Space universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Any recommendations on books similar to David Eddings' Elenium and Tamuli? I am probably the minority, but I like them better than the Belgariad and sequel.

I like the church knights characters more I suppose than the cast of Belgariad, what with them being of militant orders yet pragmatic and often humorous.