Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Or weddings using "I'll Be Watching You"

So romantic :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

spog posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it was simply a case of them being great fans of Bruce and simply respecting his views.

Is anybody going to play at this inauguration? It seems like it is heading towards an empty stage.

I believe the Mormon Tabernacle Choir (those members who haven't quit, anyway) and whatever Rockettes really need to pay off their student loans are still booked.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012
That band should have accepted the booking but started playing some sort of Hell March style Russian music whenever Trump was coming to the stage.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

CommissarMega posted:

Horrible as it may sonnd, I really think they should've played anyway. I mean, one important part of modern liberalism is tolerating different opinions even if you don't agree with them, while modern conservatism has mutated into "DEATH TO THE HERETIC!". Sure, they might have lost fans if they played for Drumpf, but who knows, now they might lose their lives.

Yeah, sure, dude. :thumbsup:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Since when does the modern left allow differing opinions on anything without being called a literal Nazi?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

whiteyfats posted:

Since when does the modern left allow differing opinions on anything without being called a literal Nazi?

Since always you idiot. Don't pretend D&D is real life.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

CommissarMega posted:

Horrible as it may sonnd, I really think they should've played anyway. I mean, one important part of modern liberalism is tolerating different opinions even if you don't agree with them, while modern conservatism has mutated into "DEATH TO THE HERETIC!". Sure, they might have lost fans if they played for Drumpf, but who knows, now they might lose their lives.

The Alt-Left/Dirtbag Left has completely rejected this view and the general standpoint is "gently caress you I don't have to respect your lovely views."

Also I seem to remember the copyright holder being able to C&D to prevent public performance of their material, but it's on the basis of a specific performance. Now, Bruce could have very easily sent that C&D for each and every song he's ever released and prevented them from playing any of his music at that show. He could have also followed that up with sending similar a similar order for every show that band plays.

But at best I bet he just covered their legal costs to back out.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Shoulda played and opened with this ala Green Room

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MkRuV0aCcI

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

bitcoin bastard posted:

My favorite was Wrangler jeans using most of the first verse of Fortunate Son and cutting off just before 'it ain't me.'

Or Phillips using the Beatles "Have to admit it's getting better... getting better all the time" but cutting out just at the point where the backing vocals come in "Can't get much worse"

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

bitcoin bastard posted:

My favorite was Wrangler jeans using most of the first verse of Fortunate Son and cutting off just before 'it ain't me.'

There was a Mercedes Benz ad that used the first line and literally nothing else of the song Bohemian Like You by The Dandy Warhols.

you've got a great car
oh what's wrong with it today

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I hear the intro and the bridge of "Nobody Speak" in all kinds of commercials.

The very first line is "Picture this, I'm a bag of dicks/put me to your lips". Not exactly selling your image there.

Edit: I mean someone was like "this is cool, can you cut out the part about us being a bag of dicks? And all the other lyrics...." and three minutes later, "and that part too"

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 03:34 on Jan 18, 2017

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

One of the major pickup truck companies used Eminence Front recently.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Azhais posted:

And an actor not that long ago

Who was Governor of one California, of the largest economies in the world.
People seem to miss that fact when making comparisons.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Baron von Eevl posted:

The Alt-Left/Dirtbag Left has completely rejected this view and the general standpoint is "gently caress you I don't have to respect your lovely views."

Nothing wrong with that.

Respecting the right someone has to hold lovely views in no way translates into respecting their desire to inflict those views on others.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Baron von Eevl posted:

Why would you have to respect someone's actually-lovely worldview? Like, someone believes the world is flat, so I should debate them and provide opposing evidence as opposed to just calling them a fuckwit and moving on with my day?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

One thing I never understood about the flat earth thing is, what's the end game? What is the benefit to having a flat earth?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
"Rudie Can't Fail" being played by Giuliani's campaign was just gold.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

oldpainless posted:

One thing I never understood about the flat earth thing is, what's the end game? What is the benefit to having a flat earth?

To destroy the illuminati guarding the edges.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

oldpainless posted:

So you know to not fall off the edge, obviously.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
apparently the dude who got hit was arrested for mugging in colombia

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
re: Unfortunate music choices

Some young Finnish hockey player was drafted by the Buffalo Sabres and there was a small news piece on television. The savvy reporter probably thought that they needed a song with Buffalo in it so what did they choose? Eminem's Buffalo Bill of course! That one is about a serial killer.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

FCKGW posted:

Who was Governor of one California, of the largest economies in the world.
People seem to miss that fact when making comparisons.

It's not like his time in California wasn't highlighted by throwing the mentally disabled onto the streets, followed by the rest of the US when he got elected

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

oldpainless posted:

Takes up less space for easy storage.
Easier to draw.
Fills us with an unease about what all the people that live on the flip side are up to....

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

oldpainless posted:

One of my family members is a straight up flat earth illuminati no one went to the moon the big bang theory was designed by science to remove the divine from the world so the Nephilim spawn of angel and women who still walk the earth can rule wall street unopposed we're in a divine war and noone even knows it loony. After a 45 minute lecture he couldn't really give me a good reason as to why they would lie about the earth's shape. Even if it was flat would anyone really care?

Also 'no accurate maps of the earth have been made' is a legitimate statement apparently.

It's fascinating because the flat earth argument falls apart so quickly under the smallest scrutiny but he won't let go.

The schadenfreude is that mental illness runs in my family so it's only a matter of time before I start ranting about shaved bears running the country.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Outrail posted:

The schadenfreude is that mental illness runs in my family so it's only a matter of time before I start ranting about shaved bears running the country.

Yeah, that's actually a bit unsettling. All these crazy old kooks were once relatively normal 20-year-olds with their whole lives ahead of them. Maybe a little prone to flights of fancy or whatever, but... you have to really veer off course over a long period of time to get where they've ended up.

Thinking about how a person can change so drastically over their lifespan gives me the existential heebie-jeebies if I let it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Outrail posted:

Also 'no accurate maps of the earth have been made' is a legitimate statement apparently.

Of course not, you literally can't make an accurate 2d map of a globe. Even globes are bound to be off a bit since the earth isn't perfectly spherical. And there is bound to be some imprecision due to the difference in size, so little things get left off. And then there's the fact that map makers hate New Zealand and likes to pretend it doesn't exist.

I wonder if flat earthers will finally disappear once commercial space flight becomes more affordable? Climbing everest is like $40,000 and people are literally lining up to do it. Going to space for a few hours and taking selfies in front of a window with Earth in the background is bound to become the new middle class aspiration if the price ever drops below $50k. Or will the conspiracy theorists just double down and insist those companies are fraudsters and the whole trip takes place in a simulator?

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Or will the conspiracy theorists just double down and insist those companies are fraudsters and the whole trip takes place in a simulator?

Yes. Basically everyone who has been in space/works with space related stuff is part of some sort of conspiracy elite and all footage from space is fake. Also flat earthers have come up with their own physics model so for example gravity doesn't exist because reasons.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Technically gravity is still a theory

Like love.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pingiivi posted:

Yes. Basically everyone who has been in space/works with space related stuff is part of some sort of conspiracy elite and all footage from space is fake. Also flat earthers have come up with their own physics model so for example gravity doesn't exist because reasons.

Well, yeah, of course everyone who has been to space so far is part of the conspiracy. But there's only a few hundred of them, and they were mostly in the military with the oaths that entails. And besides "I've been to space" speaking tours are very lucrative so they have every incentive to keep up the gag.

But in the near future it should be possible for "regular people" to buy their way into orbit and experience a couple hours of free fall before heading home. These unreliable civilians won't be in on the conspiracy. So either the orbits are really happening, or there is some elaborate ruse to fool them, and their families who accompanied them to the so called launch site.

Kinda like how cell phones and dash cams have made stories of UFOs, Sasquatches and the Loch Ness monster ever more unbelievable. At the rate people were encountering those things 20-30 years ago there should have been tons of new footage in the last 5 years, but there's almost nothing new.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Like love.

For you maybe, I've discovered love and gravity.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Conspiracy theorists dismiss stuff that’s way more concrete “you can see the Globe out a window if you pay $40 k”.

The second plane flew into the WTC and there were hundreds of thousands of eyewitnesses? Holograms.

Steel loses 90% of its strength at 50% of its melting temperature? That’s Judenphysik. Good ’Murican steel maintains full strength at 2749°F.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

Or weddings using "I'll Be Watching You"

So romantic :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-voADFn0aow

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

oldpainless posted:

Like love.

More like oldhypothesess

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Memento posted:

Why would you have to respect someone's actually-lovely worldview? Like, someone believes the world is flat, so I should debate them and provide opposing evidence as opposed to just calling them a fuckwit and moving on with my day?

If someone believes killing babies isn't murder, why should I debate them?

If someone believes women should cover their heads, faces and bodies, why should I debate them?

If someone thought Hillary Clinton would've been a good president, why should I debate them?

drat its almost like people have different viewpoints on things and conversation about them is how society develops.............. too bad you're a retarded dipshit who can't realize his high horse is a kid's rocking one

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

One of these things is not like the oooothers~

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Regalingualius posted:

One of these things is not like the oooothers~

Does that somehow make a difference? Does one thing being considered worse than the others make it any less relevant to debate? Besides, they're just three things I came up with off the top of my head that people with different view points disagree with. If you want something no one disagrees with, here's one: the guy I first quoted is a little bitch.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

You're rapidly proving who the only fuckwit is here.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
It's almost like changing the content of a post changes the meaning of that post, dumbass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
How long before we get an unironic use of the phrase "your intolerance of my intolerance"?