Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
I think a lot of them received so much public repudiation and rejection by award voters that they declared victory one final time and retreated back into their own little echo chambers. They're probably salty down in their basements but who cares? Read books, be happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Finished The Fifth Season last night. Liked.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Oh I know but didn't her winning last time start the whole sad puppies meltdown.

I want angry dweebs

Show me the angry dweebs

Nah, she had a couple of public slapfights with, I think, Vox Day. But puppies were in full swing before she won anything major.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Is The Book of the Dead series worth getting into and is the publication order the best reading order?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

hey thread Jemisin won a prestigous sci fi award again please point me to the nearest meltdowns k thnx

I think they gave up on the Nebulas a long time ago.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Redacted.

MartingaleJack fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 20, 2019

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I could never finish Jemisin's first book. The second person POV just doesn't click with me and the use of comms as a short form for community instead of making up another term or using an actual word that does the same thing just tweaks me every time I see it. There, one free angry nerd against Jemisin.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

nessin posted:

I could never finish Jemisin's first book. The second person POV just doesn't click with me and the use of comms as a short form for community instead of making up another term or using an actual word that does the same thing just tweaks me every time I see it. There, one free angry nerd against Jemisin.

I could pretend to be mad about how the entire series is just LeGuin but with more worse words, but Jemisin herself already admitted that so no controversy really

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Oh I know but didn't her winning last time start the whole sad puppies meltdown.

I want angry dweebs

Show me the angry dweebs

I think BravestoftheLamps is probated.

Edit: Dagnabbit, too slow with the joke.

MrFlibble fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 24, 2018

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

MrFlibble posted:

not anymore (un)fortunately

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What happened to Effectronica

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Solitair posted:

not anymore (un)fortunately

whoops nevermind i was wrong lol

he'll be back

he always comes back :kheldragar:

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

NinjaDebugger posted:

What the gently caress are you reading?

Jhereg, the 1st Vlad Taltos book.

On a different note, the US Amazon kindle store has Stanislaw Lem's Memoirs of a Space Traveler: Further reminiscences of Ijon Tichy
on a mega price-cut for the 40 hrs, $1.99. All the stories in it are good, eighteenth voyage story will either amuse you or piss you off.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

It's always a bad warning sign when a book starts with a pronunciation guide, especially if it's a science fiction or fantasy book.
Page four, the author has hammered home the main character is sixteen and knows sorcery AND is now in the process of learning witchcraft.

....gently caress this I'm out. 4 pages in and I am already feeling the main character is being funneled through a mary sue's worth of specialized training to justify how awesome(and unkillable) this main character is going to be. If anything, my recent James Blish's Cities in Spaces read-through confirmed that if a book starts off poo poo for you, it will probably stay poo poo as you continue to read the book.

Jhereg, the 1st Vlad Taltos book.

LOL at thinking Vlad is unkillable.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
its ok he dies, but he gets resurrected

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

BananaNutkins posted:

I've got a story at dailysciencefiction.com today. It's called The Third Martian Dick Temple. You can read it for free. Warning: I'm no Seth Dickinson.

Well you're just missing the Seth and the inson

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

General Battuta posted:

Well you're just missing the Seth and the inson
The Third Martian Baru Cormorant when

(also everyone go buy that Lem, Lem owns)

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

BananaNutkins posted:

I've got a story at dailysciencefiction.com today. It's called The Third Martian Dick Temple. You can read it for free. Warning: I'm no Seth Dickinson.

My god, it's full of dicks, what else would it be full of. Beautiful.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

Redacted.

MartingaleJack fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 20, 2019

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Patrick Spens posted:

Nah, she had a couple of public slapfights with, I think, Vox Day. But puppies were in full swing before she won anything major.

Yeah it was Vox Day the leader of the Rabid Puppies. But, he gets in slap fights with like everyone.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BananaNutkins posted:

I heard it has plenty of dick in, son.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

BananaNutkins posted:

Obvious sequel hook spotted. The search for the fourth dick temple.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

MrFlibble posted:

Edit: Dagnabbit, too slow with the joke.

I said meltdowns not intelligent and thoughtful commentary

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Xarbala posted:

Obvious sequel hook spotted. The search for the fourth dick temple.
They're all dick temples. who let 14" go to mars

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

Redacted

MartingaleJack fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 20, 2019

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Not sad the Taltos series turned out to be a bust for me.

The first two Taltos books only cost me $2+ tax total, and when I sold them back to the used bookstore I managed to snag a near-mint paperback copy of M John Harrison's The Centauri Device. Really happy with that chain of events, Centauri Device is bleak as gently caress yet has a very lived-in universe. Theory crafting this next statement but I think: The outcome of the Centauri Device caused the Kefahuchi Tract.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

BananaNutkins posted:

Like Alien did to Alien$, but with dicks.

The next story I'm trying to sell is about a machine that changes people's gender to state of quantum uncertainty until the observer effect collapses the probability wave into dick or a vag. It's called The Double Slit Experiment.

I loving love you

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Not sad the Taltos series turned out to be a bust for me.

The first two Taltos books only cost me $2+ tax total, and when I sold them back to the used bookstore I managed to snag a near-mint paperback copy of M John Harrison's The Centauri Device. Really happy with that chain of events, Centauri Device is bleak as gently caress yet has a very lived-in universe. Theory crafting this next statement but I think: The outcome of the Centauri Device caused the Kefahuchi Tract.

I think you misunderstood the Taltos books. His training isn't all that special and while the combination of Witchcraft and Sorcery may be rare it's not unique or particularly out of place. Sorcery in particular, at some level, is very common. Brust does love his odd ball names you need a pronunciation guide for though.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I said meltdowns not intelligent and thoughtful commentary

Oh i'm sorry, I should have explained better. The joke is Bravestofthelamps doesn't like Jemisin's work (or much of contemporary fantastic literature) very much. This work got an award for being an astounding work of contemporary fantastic literature. Seeing as Bravestofthelamps is on probation, s/he cannot post their reaction to this happening. Bravestofthelamps is notorious for leaving long, drawn out replies which, in the common parlance of this website, are referred to as meltdowns. Stating that Bravesofthelamps is on probation in response to your question is drawing attention to the absence of this theoretical 'meltdown'.

I didn't intend that you construe this simple and logical chain of thought to be an attack against a fellow poster that you admire and will work to ensure that any future wit I engage in, meager though it may be, causes no injury to the character of any described within, perhaps by adding a spoiler (being a section of blacked out text that is unreadable unless moused over) that explains the full intent of my post.

There is no joke in this post, but I thought the example of a spoiler box may be helpful to someone of your obvious advanced maturity. I understand it is hard to keep up with the computers and the internets these days, but keep at it :)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

nessin posted:

I think you misunderstood the Taltos books. His training isn't all that special and while the combination of Witchcraft and Sorcery may be rare it's not unique or particularly out of place. Sorcery in particular, at some level, is very common. Brust does love his odd ball names you need a pronunciation guide for though.

I don't remember any of my Taltos books having a pronunciation guide but maybe I just skipped it.

But yeah, calling Vlad a "mary sue" for being a sorcerer and a witch in that setting is like being upset that a character in present-day fiction, in addition to being able to read and write, is also learning high-school calculus.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

nessin posted:

And Vlad is in no way a sorcerer. He knows some spells, but he spends more time thinking about more spells he ought to learn than using what little he knows. He can't even teleport himself unless he brings a bucket to throw up in. He is, however, an accomplished witch.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

MrFlibble posted:

This work got an award for being an astounding work of contemporary fantastic literature.

Except that's not what winning it says anymore, now that the award has become politicized to such an extreme degree.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

mllaneza posted:

And Vlad is in no way a sorcerer. He knows some spells, but he spends more time thinking about more spells he ought to learn than using what little he knows. He can't even teleport himself unless he brings a bucket to throw up in. He is, however, an accomplished witch.

You could plausibly argue that he's "a sorcerer" in the sense of "someone who can do at least some useful sorcery", but that describes literally every adult citizen of Dragaera so :shrug:

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

less laughter posted:

Except that's not what winning it says anymore, now that the award has become politicized to such an extreme degree.

Ah, good. Could you explain to Mel Mudkiper exactly what you mean by this? I believe he was looking for someone like you.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

MrFlibble posted:

Oh i'm sorry, I should have explained better. The joke is Bravestofthelamps doesn't like Jemisin's work (or much of contemporary fantastic literature) very much. This work got an award for being an astounding work of contemporary fantastic literature. Seeing as Bravestofthelamps is on probation, s/he cannot post their reaction to this happening. Bravestofthelamps is notorious for leaving long, drawn out replies which, in the common parlance of this website, are referred to as meltdowns. Stating that Bravesofthelamps is on probation in response to your question is drawing attention to the absence of this theoretical 'meltdown'.

I didn't intend that you construe this simple and logical chain of thought to be an attack against a fellow poster that you admire and will work to ensure that any future wit I engage in, meager though it may be, causes no injury to the character of any described within, perhaps by adding a spoiler (being a section of blacked out text that is unreadable unless moused over) that explains the full intent of my post.

There is no joke in this post, but I thought the example of a spoiler box may be helpful to someone of your obvious advanced maturity. I understand it is hard to keep up with the computers and the internets these days, but keep at it :)

now this is a weird meltdown but not about jemisin so no cigar

less laughter posted:

Now this is more like it

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

ToxicFrog posted:

I don't remember any of my Taltos books having a pronunciation guide but maybe I just skipped it.

You probably skipped it - it's definitely there. I suspect that if the reader knows Hungarian they don't need the guide at all.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

less laughter posted:

Awwwwww, wost wittle puppy

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

jit bull transpile posted:

Awwwwww, wost wittle puppy

MrFlibble posted:

Ah, good. Could you explain to Mel Mudkiper exactly what you mean by this? I believe he was looking for someone like you.

You dudes are being kinda gross.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Megazver posted:

You dudes are being kinda gross.

I'm not a dude and angry/rabid puppies aren't welcome itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'm at KC ConQuest for the next three days if anyone wants to drink doctor who themed glowy drinks and attend panels with a real cool dude.