Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

aaaaa I'm having a bad morning and I needed this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

ladron posted:

ahhhh, Seoul.....

Nah mate your the arsehole

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

simplefish posted:

Nah mate your the arsehole

can't deny that

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

You all laugh but the hostage was actually an alien and she just joined the Men In Black.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
and she'd appreciate it if you eased up off her back about it

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Imperialist Dog posted:

One of the last sections of Old Shanghai, Laoximen, is set to be bulldozed.

Click through for sweet pics of Art Deco structures mostly in disrepair

https://avezink.livejournal.com/67617.html

I've seen stuff like this before and each time I wonder about the market potential of taking neat architectural details (wood carving, stonework, etc) that those older buildings have and reselling them in the west, since they're pretty cool and are definitely going to be obliterated in the demolition. I kinda bet they could be purchased cheaply (well, until someone realizes the potential exists for price gouging), but transport for the heavier stuff would definitely be an issue, plus no idea on potential customer base.

Just a though, I would never remotely act on this idea given I have no desire to visit China, no connections, and am in a completely different industry.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

ladron posted:

ahhhh, Seoul.....

feel like the people arranging buildings like that deserve a one-way helicopter ride themselves

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
TCM is super prevalent in Taiwan too which never made sense to me. "Let's latch onto one of the most backward parts of our Chinese heritage and cover it under a slowly collapsing national healthcare system."

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Vernii posted:

I've seen stuff like this before and each time I wonder about the market potential of taking neat architectural details (wood carving, stonework, etc) that those older buildings have and reselling them in the west, since they're pretty cool and are definitely going to be obliterated in the demolition. I kinda bet they could be purchased cheaply (well, until someone realizes the potential exists for price gouging), but transport for the heavier stuff would definitely be an issue, plus no idea on potential customer base.

Just a though, I would never remotely act on this idea given I have no desire to visit China, no connections, and am in a completely different industry.

Architectural salvage is hot poo poo in the west in recent years so I'm sure there would be a market. I wonder though if they would let a FOREIGNER take this stuff out of China, you know this is history so it should be kept in China (in a dump).

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Vernii posted:

Where I lived had a bunch of old buildings in this run down part of the town and me and this girl used to spend hours exploring them and talking about how if the chinese had any taste whatsoever all the beautiful doors and carvings and stuff would be salvaged and sold for a mint, not to mention the places would all be refurbished with people spending a bunch to live in them instead of the expensive 'villas' or whatever.

Anyway its not really an issue to transport 'heavy stuff' out of china they have trucks and cargo ships its how they export stuff.

I assume the government owns all the old buildings but what that entails for getting stuff off them I really don't know. Maybe you can't maybe its just a small bribe away or something.

Anyway this was almost 10 years ago the place i have in mind so its probably been bulldozed by now :(

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

quote:

The street is reportedly named after a red-light (=red banister) district that blossomed here in the late nineteenth or early twentieth century. A couple of lanes branching off this street appear to confirm this theory: one miniature alley is called Hongzhuang Nong 红庄弄 (Red Village Lane) and another one used to be called Monai Nong 摸奶弄 (Tit-Grabbing Lane) until it was stripped of all names and assigned a lane number.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

ladron posted:

ahhhh, Seoul.....

The difference being, in Seoul the complex wouldn't even have any trees, and would be even farther from any sort of shopping.

The more I think about my time there the less I like Korea.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
Monai Nong 摸奶弄 (Tit-Grabbing Lane) is an awesome name

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

VideoTapir posted:

The difference being, in Seoul the complex wouldn't even have any trees, and would be even farther from any sort of shopping.

The more I think about my time there the less I like Korea.

I occasionally feel a bit of nostalgia for it because I was right out of college and the country is just so much more functional than Thailand. But then I actually sit down and think about all the things that drove me insane and that feeling fades. I think I mostly just miss being 22 and being able to drink until 3 or 4am, get up at 6, and be relatively functional at work and not notably less functional than any of the Korean men present.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
South korea's got no soul.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

VideoTapir posted:

and would be even farther from any sort of shopping.

That's just a poor choice of apartment on your part

Or on the fool who chose your apartment's part

Other criticisms are pretty valid

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

hakimashou posted:

South korea's got no soul.

sk is fine if china didn't do a naughty thing for face

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17lkdqoLt44

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Everything in Korea that's better than something in China is counterbalanced by something that is worse.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Significant Ant posted:

Can someone, very briefly, please explain to my why TCM is still a thing in China?

Think of insects as TCM and Sparrows as doctors.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

VideoTapir posted:

Everything in Korea that's better than something in China is counterbalanced by something that is worse.

this man speaks my language

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Imperialist Dog posted:

One of the last sections of Old Shanghai, Laoximen, is set to be bulldozed.

Click through for sweet pics of Art Deco structures mostly in disrepair

https://avezink.livejournal.com/67617.html

As cool as this stuff is, the complete lack of care that's gone into maintaining it makes me think nobody really cares if it gets demolished anyway.

All of the surfaces are coated with mold and rot, some things seem to be solid rust at this point, it's really sad.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
So the newspaper front page in northeast China is what to do in case of nuclear attack

I hope everyone has a shelter plan, I'm going to hide out in the Hong Kong railway tunnels

the secret one

https://twitter.com/Jinghan_Zeng/status/938318529627152384

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Probably going to hide out in the tunnels you went hiking in behind my house.

And probably therefore going to get bitten by a snake and die before the fallout hits the ground.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lol we're all going to die

???

profit

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Public schools in Japan issued guidelines to each household about what to do if there's a missile launch.

1. Listen to announcements
2. Get inside a big strong building or
3. Hide from view if you're outdoors
4. Don't touch any debris that falls from the sky

Sorry, there's no joke here. The kids were very worried for two days and have already forgotten everything.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

peanut posted:

2. Get inside a big strong building or

Due to how houses are made in Japan I doubt this is A general Thing.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My house has hella beams n stuff but folks in lovely tin nagaya are encouraged to evacuate to a local elementary school.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Do public buildings in Japan have shelters in the basement? That’s a thing in Taiwan, and a lot of the metro stations also seem to be built to double as shelters if needed

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Few buildings have basements outside of big cities.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
God I accidentally have the best seat in the world for the apocalypse.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Atlas Hugged posted:

God I accidentally have the best seat in the world for the apocalypse.

There are lots of worse places to watch the world end than Bangkok.

I mean there are probably lots of better places too, but there are still lots of worse places

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
don't drink coffee, don't live in china, but for some reason I am very curious about this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/12/06/worlds-largest-most-lavish-starbucks-opens-in-shanghai/

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Pirate Radar posted:

I mean there are probably lots of better places too, but there are still lots of worse places

It's close enough that we should experience some the consequences (refugees, military on high alert) but just far enough away that I don't think I'll get cancer any faster than I would less the radiation but with all the developing-world pollutants still present.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

That's just a poor choice of apartment on your part

Or on the fool who chose your apartment's part

Other criticisms are pretty valid

Most English teachers in Korea live in school-provided apartments, which are obviously not the best ones. You can move, but the school is still under contract for the rental and usually will ask you to wait until their agreement is up and they're legally in the clear.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Pirate Radar posted:

Pattaya felt like, well maybe not the end of the world, but certainly the end of the line for a lot of people

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Most English teachers in Korea live in school-provided apartments, which are obviously not the best ones. You can move, but the school is still under contract for the rental and usually will ask you to wait until their agreement is up and they're legally in the clear.

that dude's a loving idiot, just ignore him

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

simplefish posted:

Pattaya felt like, well maybe not the end of the world, but certainly the end of the line for a lot of people

I thought Phnom Penh was the agreed upon place for farangs to die?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

ladron posted:

that dude's a loving idiot, just ignore him

I legitimately thought he didn't know! Haha.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

bongwizzard posted:

But like we have/had that? At least the Appalachian region produced a pretty widespread folk medicine culture.

Now they have modernized and just treat everything with ground up Oxy.

I guess it’s like, if it was nationally identified rather than a regional thing. Because not growing up in Appalachia I’ve never heard of Appalachian folk medicine nor would I identify with it (not being Appalachian) whereas it’s clear that for many Chinese (nationally or ethnically), TCM is an issue of identity for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

simplefish posted:

Pattaya, why does that sound familiar... isn't that the den of child prostitution that the one creepy Bitcoin guy was pushing really hard for the International Bitcoin Conference or whatever way back in the day?

• Locked thread