Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

ninotoreS posted:

This is probably a fruitless point to make because I doubt the audio-book-listening OP is even literate enough to actually know the difference, but there's a difference between being a good writer, and being a good story-teller. Lovecraft was the latter, not the former.

Lovecraft's enduring legacy in the horror genre isn't a result of the excellence of his writing; it's a result of his ideas, which were objectively unique at the time. Literature was just the medium through which he expressed those notions and themes.

Lovecraft is to horror what Tolkien is to high-fantasy. Neither guy was really a master wordsmith, but they were the first to use certain themes and conventions that would end up getting endlessly mimicked by later storytellers.

Yep. Also don't forget elitist, atheistic, and functionally useless to society.

but he wasn't fat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
That's a pretty funny distinction to sneer at people not being literary enough to understand since not only is literary history paved with the bones of countless authors who had 'great ideas' that might have been amazing in skilled hands but you can go and look at just how scintillating Lovecraft's ideas are absent his writing. Every moron on DeviantArt thinks a great 'idea' is going to descend from the heavens and transform them into a master artist beloved by all, meanwhile the titans of the horror genre are a creepy 1930s racist writing about his sex hangups and that guy whose magnum opus was about a hell clown spider whose sole weakness was underage sex.

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 11, 2014

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

quote:

Doors found mysteriously open and shut etc.—excite terror.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
The Temple is the first horror story to be set on a submarine (and if you hate his typical bookish protagonists, The Temple's protagonist is a polar opposite; also I think HPL is deliberately lampooning the rise in the belief of racial purity here).

I believe Whisperer in Darkness started the trope of "aliens among us" that directly lead to Invasion of the Body Snatchers, but I'm not 100% certain.

Also a note about At the Mountains of Madness goes into extreme detail about Antarctica for the same reasons every other chapter in Moby Dick spergs on about whales; everyone did not have access to an encyclopedia back then let alone a public library.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

This is a good documentary but I gotta lol at the guy talking about how lovely Lovecraft was for being a xenophobe while simultaneously taking a jab at Islam

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

That's a pretty funny distinction to sneer at people not being literary enough to understand since not only is literary history paved with the bones of countless authors who had 'great ideas' that might have been amazing in skilled hands but you can go and look at just how scintillating Lovecraft's ideas are absent his writing. Every moron on DeviantArt thinks a great 'idea' is going to descend from the heavens and transform them into a master artist beloved by all, meanwhile the titans of the horror genre are a creepy 1930s racist writing about his sex hangups and that guy whose magnum opus was about a hell clown spider whose sole weakness was underage sex.

his actual magnum opus was a pair of them, in the novel the gunslinger

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

actually his magnus opus is about the antichrist taking over las vegas then going on a tropical vacation after god has enough of his poo poo and blows up a nuke in his face

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
mods pls change my name to "A Nautical-Looking Negro"

The man was seriously scared as gently caress of lobsters

I haven't read much King but his Colour Out of Space bit in Creepshow is the best

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Effectronica posted:

his actual magnum opus was a pair of them, in the novel the gunslinger

I didn't read that one so I didn't feel confident in summarizing it but I did read the one about the mind-controlling alien butt monsters

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

I didn't read that one so I didn't feel confident in summarizing it but I did read the one about the mind-controlling alien butt monsters

it's a joke, about the guns that the titular character carries. he uses 'em to exorcise a demon baby.

Doctor Bishop posted:

actually his magnus opus is about the antichrist taking over las vegas then going on a tropical vacation after god has enough of his poo poo and blows up a nuke in his face

the stand isn't really horror, at least not sustained over the course of the book. it's one of the great* american fantasies, though.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Doctor Bishop posted:

Dude isn't the Antichrist, he's just some failed gunslinger that got it forced up his rear end and turned vengeful.

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Momohime Katsumi posted:

I thought I'd get in the HJallow en spirit by listening to some HP Lovecraft audiobooks. I wasn't familiar with his work but I thought that it'd be cool because he's the cthulu guy, and I'm pretty nerdy, and nerds like cthuly. it seemed to make sense. Anyway, I've listened to two stories so far -- Call of Cthulu and The Shadow Over Innsmouth -- and I think I have his whole shtick down: black, monolithic Cyclopean architecture (wtf is that), ooze, non-Euclidean geometryu (I don't know what that is either), cosmic, uninmagineable terror. You mix those things together and some gibberish nonsense words made of all consonants and you have an HP Lovecraft story. Seriously, like I don't even need to read any more of his stuff because it's just gonna be the above + doomsday occultish poo poo and people either dying or going crazy from "abominable" horror. Like, bro, have some breadth.

Anyway, thanks for reading my thread. Peace!

Theres actually way more than that. Peace.

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

H.P. Lovecraft posted:

The walking dead—seemingly alive, but—. [x]

lovecraft was right

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Philthy posted:

I dunno, he was known as a pulp writer, but his style resembles more Tolstoy than King.

God Almighty, no it doesn't.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Daedra posted:

wasnt afraid to write nbombs and a total shut in loser

the ultimate alpha goon

Nah, he thought the 18th Century Britain and her colonies were the pinnacle of human civilization and had a stick up his rear end (but I repeat myself), so he wouldn't touch SA with a ten-foot pole. Now Robert E. Howard, that was a proto-goon if ever there was one. He spent his entire adult life living with his parents and banging out dozens of adolescent male power fantasies. His bizarre behavior (e.g. running through the streets punching the air) made him a pariah in his hometown, even though he made more money than the town banker through his stories. He only dated one woman in his entire life, and she was more interested in learning how to be a successful author than in him as a person. He and his best friend fainted at the sight of a pretty woman in the street, and he went on to describe his reaction to her blonde hair, blue eyes, pale skin, and large chest to his dark-haired, dark-eyed, dark-skinned, flat-chested girlfriend!

The 1996 made-for-TV movie "The Whole Wide World" dramatizes Howard's goony behavior to his girlfriend for your enjoyment. Watch as Vincent D'Onofrio spends 105 minutes sperging out as Renée Zellweger looks on in bewilderment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDZF-W7ctkU
Ah, romance.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 11, 2014

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Also Lovecraft got his own Library of America collection so he is officially a part of the Western Canon, y'all can suck on that

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Helical Nightmares posted:

The Willows by Algernon Blackwood. It is a polarizing horror tale because the antagonist is never seen and some people love it or hate it based on that.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/11438

Yes.

Mine too. And Lovecraft's.

I read this thoutht it was good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Beef Hardcheese posted:

If anybody is old enough to remember rinkworks.com's "Book-A-Minute" from the late 90s they pretty much nailed it:

Also,

lol

• Locked thread