Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Professor Shark posted:

h p lovecraft was all ideas and very little writing talent

much like hitler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
a man who was really good at xenophobia. hewlett packard loveshaft

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Frostwerks posted:

much like hitler

hitler had both actually. he was the complete package

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

All of the penpal fanfiction was horrible and august derketh ruins everything.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Benedick Cuckold posted:

hitler had both actually. he was the complete package

Hitler just had one, actually :mrgw:

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Cthulu is basically just Slenderman who's been around longer. Just as dumb and just as lovely

Buck Turgidson fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Oct 10, 2014

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Hi Op. Don't stop reading lovecraft - and preferably don't use audiobooks if you can help it. Lovecraft's best enjoyed by actually reading him so you can get it in its raw form. Audiobooks are handy but they often provide a bit too much separation between the reader and the work as they're essentially an adaption. Lovecraft is a writer who's very heavily about atmosphere, and the more you can feel there's no separation between you and building that atmosphere in your head as you read, the better.

Call of Cthulhu are and Shadow over Innsmouth are two of Lovecraft's most iconic works, but they're honestly far from his best. (For Shadow over Innsmouth, Lovecraft actually felt that story was badly flawed. Call of Cthulhu meanwhile is a bit too abstract and more about an idea of a monstrous encounter than an actual story.) They're pretty all right as tonal pieces though, but the real meat of Lovecraft is in stuff like The Colour Out of Space, Dunwich horror, and At The Mountains of Madness.

Also here's a nifty documentary that may help you get a better handle on why people get so much out of him. Neil Gaiman also goes over some of the criticisms of Lovecraft's tropes that you express in the OP too. as it can be very easy to sell Lovecraft short for the cliches & flaws in his work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spoz_1KyZiA

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Oct 10, 2014

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
All writers are poo poo and books are for stupid idiots

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zzulu posted:

All writers are poo poo and books are for stupid idiots
800 pages about a single subject matter

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Holy poo poo, check out his mom

lol

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics

redshirt posted:

How about this?

bitch poo poo

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
I like Stephen King and Lovecraft and apple pie.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Harime Nui posted:

lol

Yep. :allears:

Lovecraft's father went mad and died early on in his life - likely it's presumed, due to syphilis. Lovecraft was then raised by his mother and his extended family. He had constant health problems as a kid, and didn't really go out much.

So basically if he had the internet back then, he'd be here.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I'm 90% sure Shadow over Insmouth doesn't actually contain any mentions of Cyclopian Architecture or noneuclidian geometry or even cosmic terror. I'm starting to think OP didn't actually make this thread in good faith!?!?

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

I'm not sure what's so scary about big blobs anyway, HP.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
Whatever happened to that guy we used to make fun of in GBS like eight years ago who was super into HP Lovecraft and wrote a million stories about indescribable horror and I think he was really angry at us?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Duck and burger posted:

Whatever happened to that guy we used to make fun of in GBS like eight years ago who was super into HP Lovecraft and wrote a million stories about indescribable horror and I think he was really angry at us?

turned into a fishman

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

He was a racist rear end in a top hat, but he was good at writing horror stories.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

i like some of his stories

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

im my perfect world hp lovecraft and robert howard make an open world rpg

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012
FREE THE SHOGGOTHS!
Actually At the Mountains of Madness is not a good story.It should be called At the Mountains of Badness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGTEOrX_I08

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Harime Nui posted:

lol

aaahahahahhahah his mom is him in a wig you can't fool me lovecraft.

Rats in the Walls is one of my favorites because of the idea of a weird race of people that rode these other people around and used them as cattle. It's so goofy and hosed up.
There was this science fiction book called The Mount that was about aliens who use humans as horses.
I don't know why this idea fucks me up so much.

Pizzagate Pedophile
Mar 2, 2013

by Lowtax

Momohime Katsumi posted:

I thought I'd get in the HJallow en spirit by listening to some HP Lovecraft audiobooks. I wasn't familiar with his work but I thought that it'd be cool because he's the cthulu guy, and I'm pretty nerdy, and nerds like cthuly. it seemed to make sense. Anyway, I've listened to two stories so far -- Call of Cthulu and The Shadow Over Innsmouth -- and I think I have his whole shtick down: black, monolithic Cyclopean architecture (wtf is that), ooze, non-Euclidean geometryu (I don't know what that is either), cosmic, uninmagineable terror. You mix those things together and some gibberish nonsense words made of all consonants and you have an HP Lovecraft story. Seriously, like I don't even need to read any more of his stuff because it's just gonna be the above + doomsday occultish poo poo and people either dying or going crazy from "abominable" horror. Like, bro, have some breadth.

Anyway, thanks for reading my thread. Peace!

Hahaha you LISTEN to books, drat! Fingers too fat to turn a loving page?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

reignonyourparade posted:

I'm 90% sure Shadow over Insmouth doesn't actually contain any mentions of Cyclopian Architecture or noneuclidian geometry or even cosmic terror. I'm starting to think OP didn't actually make this thread in good faith!?!?

miscegenation fears don't count as cosmic terror?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Benedick Cuckold posted:

miscegenation fears don't count as cosmic terror?

Hm that's fair I'll give you that

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Livers posted:

Hahaha you LISTEN to books, drat! Fingers too fat to turn a loving page?

If you're on the bus people wont know you're reading racist literature if you're just listening to it.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

If you're on the bus people wont know you're reading racist literature if you're just listening to it.

play it on a ghetto blaster

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Frostwerks posted:

play it on a ghetto blaster

lovecraft posted:

On the Creation of Niggers
by H. P. Lovecraft

When, long ago, the gods created Earth
In Iove's fair image Man was shaped at birth.
The beasts for lesser parts were next designed;
Yet were they too remote from humankind.
To fill the gap, and join the rest to Man,
Th'Olympian host conceiv'd a clever plan.
A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,
Filled it with vice, and called the thing a friend of the family.

Put it to a beat.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Covered by Cypress Hill.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
"He was a loathsome, gorilla-like thing, with abnormally long arms that I could not help calling fore legs, and a face that conjured up thoughts of unspeakable Congo secrets and tom-tom poundings under an eerie moon. The body must have looked even worse in life - but the world holds many ugly things."

UNSPEAKABLE CONGO SECRETS

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I think I've read Nyarlahotep or whatever it's called five times and I still can't figure out what the gently caress it's even about.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

aaahahahahhahah his mom is him in a wig you can't fool me lovecraft.

Rats in the Walls is one of my favorites because of the idea of a weird race of people that rode these other people around and used them as cattle. It's so goofy and hosed up.
There was this science fiction book called The Mount that was about aliens who use humans as horses.
I don't know why this idea fucks me up so much.

I like the weird-fiction that makes me feel off balance like that and kind of violates my senses a bit. I actually get a similar effect reading through artbooks by certain artists too.

Such as reading through Barlowe's inferno for the first time - text + the images.

For example:

He wrote a thing about unspeakable horrors that go on in the buildings in that image, and it kind of hosed me up a bit. Also the bricks of the buildings are made out of compressed human being souls, as he shows in another image of a demon holding one.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

If anybody is old enough to remember rinkworks.com's "Book-A-Minute" from the late 90s they pretty much nailed it:

quote:

Narrator: I will tell you about something horrific I witnessed.
(Narrator discusses MUNDANE experiences which supposedly lead up to something HORRIFIC.)

Narrator: We're almost at the horrific bit.
(Narrator talks about more stuff that might be SPOOKY if he'd only GET ON WITH IT.)

Narrator: We're very close now.
(Narrator draws it out MORE.)

Narrator: This time I swear we're just about at the horrific thing almost.
(Narrator FINALLY gets to the HORRIFIC thing which is HUGE and POWERFUL and EVIL and LAME.)

THE END

Also,

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Beef Hardcheese posted:

If anybody is old enough to remember rinkworks.com's "Book-A-Minute" from the late 90s they pretty much nailed it:

Also,

Haha.

The game Dark Corners of the Earth was fairly decent, but the developers got their funding cut or something, so they can't make more :(

El Boot
Mar 18, 2009

Thank Dog It's Friday

Beef Hardcheese posted:

Holy poo poo I used to love Rinkworks.

gently caress am I old now?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I dunno, he was known as a pulp writer, but his style resembles more Tolstoy than King.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I really like Cool Air, it is a fun story

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
wasnt afraid to write nbombs and a total shut in loser

the ultimate alpha goon

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
Vampire dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Thanks for the input, Jeff!
This is probably a fruitless point to make because I doubt the audio-book-listening OP is even literate enough to actually know the difference, but there's a difference between being a good writer, and being a good (or at least original) story-teller. Lovecraft was the latter, not the former.

Lovecraft's enduring legacy in the horror genre isn't a result of the excellence of his writing; it's a result of his ideas, which were objectively unique at the time. Literature was just the medium through which he expressed those notions and themes.

Lovecraft is to horror what Tolkien is to high-fantasy. Neither guy was truly a master wordsmith, but they were the first to use a certain style that would end up being endlessly mimicked by later storytellers.

Daedra posted:

wasnt afraid to write nbombs and a total shut in loser

the ultimate alpha goon

Yep. Also don't forget elitist, atheistic, misanthropic, and functionally useless to society.

ninotoreS fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 11, 2014

• Locked thread