Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ripley posted:

Yeah, I like Rudy, just amused by Zokari's post. I won't have the earth elementals to get them all up to 6* for a long, long time, though.

New player question: how likely is it to get the chessboard unit without having to spend topaz on extra pulls?

I think it's 33% of the board per draw over the life of the board (ie, 33% if you spend nothing, 66% if you do one extra daily draw, 100% if you do both).

I read somewhere that doing the single extra daily draw is worth it efficiency wise, but, that assumes you have the resources necessary to do it.

It's pretty drat expensive, so I haven't bothered, just do the freebie daily and hope I get lucky (didn't get lucky last month :v:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Well, I got Spike to 6*! So that's pretty cool. And I got Rudy!

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

victrix posted:

I think it's 33% of the board per draw over the life of the board (ie, 33% if you spend nothing, 66% if you do one extra daily draw, 100% if you do both).

I read somewhere that doing the single extra daily draw is worth it efficiency wise, but, that assumes you have the resources necessary to do it.

It's pretty drat expensive, so I haven't bothered, just do the freebie daily and hope I get lucky (didn't get lucky last month :v:)

Worth noting and something I didn't learn until I do it: eventually you do start getting Topazes even if you don't buy Rubies, specifically by Transcending characters. So it's not impossible to get the Topazes to do that.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I got a Rudy. Is he not a good tank?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

victrix posted:

Not sure who to pick for the chessboard this month though, since the event rewards Ace... but I don't know how annoying the event will be to complete.

Seems like it is going to be a pain. You have to basically get every drop from every zone

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I like the puzzleboard because I think at the end of the month it gives me Band Hat Lady, who is cool and good

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I six starred May, but then she turned into a terrible air hostess.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

victrix posted:

New Rudy owns though, and being able to level break your 7k right away is rad?

I got Eileen, and I have enough dark elements to 6* her right away :neckbeard:

Not sure who to pick for the chessboard this month though, since the event rewards Ace... but I don't know how annoying the event will be to complete.

Thinking of setting it to Sun Wukong, just based on how much wild bullshit he is in arena.

i sort of get the impression that this event is going to be super hard. the units it wants from the 8th map have some base 4* drops i think?

i got a jave and got him to 6* immediately, glad i never bothered to unlock or rank up my velika.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i used my free 4* selector from the event to grab a Rei to test, and it doesn't count for the puzzle board. that's gonna be four base 4* units you need to farm for this puzzle board, rip.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

rabidsquid posted:

i got a jave and got him to 6* immediately, glad i never bothered to unlock or rank up my velika.

Does Rudy give you better damage negation than Velika for Raid? As Rudy's is increased Defense but Velika's is -50% magic damage received. I'm not sure which works out to being better there. You could also stack the two I guess but I dunno if you'd need that ever?

I got a Jave for mine. Hrm, I should definitely replace Jam with him for Arena because his pierce is so strong (and reflect is fun in Arena). Might make farming a little easier too I guess. Luckily I was sitting on this big pile of Dark elements.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Got Dellons from the random 7k ticket.

Don't think I'm going to be managing the ace puzzle event.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

i used my free 4* selector from the event to grab a Rei to test, and it doesn't count for the puzzle board. that's gonna be four base 4* units you need to farm for this puzzle board, rip.

If you actually click on the unit in question on the puzzle board thing it'll tell you all the ways you're allowed to acquire the unit that will count. Unfortunately Selectors are not one of those ways. Another thing that isn't one of those ways? Pulls from the Summoning Shop, so don't try doing that as a last ditch effort either.

Tetracell
Feb 16, 2008
My bicycle masters boardwalk and quagmire with aplomb. Those that doubt me... suck cock by choice.
So I'm sitting on a 5* hero selector, and i'm at a complete loss. I don't want to throw it away, as i'm pretty sure I made some bad decisions with my freebies after starting. Right now i'm sitting on the following heroes:

6* Bai Jiao
5* Shane
5* Guan Yu
5* Sieg
5* Bai Long
5* Heavenia
5* Velika (at least I got one chessboard win)
5* Dellons
4* Yu Shin
4* Li
4* Spike
4* May
4* Ling Ling
4* Jin
4* Espada
4* Ariel
4* Lucy
4* Yui
4* Karon
4* Jupy
4* Jane
4* Ellin

These are all the people of note that I have that are at least 4*. The 5* selector seems to be a good selection of stuff that aren't Lords or Seven Knights, so given that is there anyone that is a uh, common? character that I should pick up from it?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Supposedly the 7K puzzle is a permanent, 1 time deal, but the item selectors for it are the month-limited. This is just what I've read on reddit, so I wouldn't take too much stock in that because I can't find where it says that on the patch notes

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I've gotten a few Seven Knights 6* items in my mailbox. Can I slap them on catpuns and miniguns with impunity, or should I hold on to them for their namesakes?

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

gwrtheyrn posted:

Supposedly the 7K puzzle is a permanent, 1 time deal, but the item selectors for it are the month-limited. This is just what I've read on reddit, so I wouldn't take too much stock in that because I can't find where it says that on the patch notes

It does track at least to some extent based on the fact that the link to the Puzzle is located in the same place as the Chessboard which is also permanent, rather than up under the Events tab.

Tetracell posted:

So I'm sitting on a 5* hero selector, and i'm at a complete loss. I don't want to throw it away, as i'm pretty sure I made some bad decisions with my freebies after starting. Right now i'm sitting on the following heroes:

*snip*

If Giaparang is an option then grab him as he doesn't have a 4* form and is thus significantly harder to acquire otherwise. If he isn't available through it . . . you could grab a Lina, as the best support you have in your current batch is Karon, or a Xiao might also be a good choice as her ability to shut down skill use can help a lot in CT.

WAR FOOT posted:

I've gotten a few Seven Knights 6* items in my mailbox. Can I slap them on catpuns and miniguns with impunity, or should I hold on to them for their namesakes?

Despite the naming weapons don't really care who they're equipped on, the only real difference is that much like the Seven Knights being a lot better than regular characters, their weapons are way better than regular weapons. You could throw one on May if you like but you might hold off and save them for a character that has Damage Immunity of some kind. She is useful but not having that makes characters hard to use on hard content like high CT or Hard Dailies.

LornMarkus fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 2, 2016

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

THAT'S A YES

i have a thing for using suboptimal characters in netmarbu games and threadds shaking their heads in disappointment

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Treat the chessboard like a lottery ticket. If you get anything worthwhile from it at all, consider yourself very lucky. Otherwise it's just pissing away 10k gold a day for a tiny shot at something good, which isn't much to spend. (The extra picks per day cost both topazes and a shitload of rubies, so unless you really really really want your target lord now now now it's not worth it.)

7K items are indeed very good, but you can put them on anyone because you don't get any particular bonus for, say, putting Eileene's Spear on Eileene. I pick someone whom I want to push to the moon (a good 7K, a Lord, an important regular unit) and stack up those items via Unlocks and power them up to +5.

Anyone you get from a 5* Selector is still a project because you'll need to get them to 6*. Once you've got a pile of 6*s you'll start picking 5*s to match so that you can evolve them and transcend your main one, but you're not there yet. So I'd say one of:

* Yu Shin -- damage immunity, skill delay and piercing skills, really good anywhere but Raid
* Alice -- no 4* version, bring back a dead heavy hitter as a zombie for two turns
* Daisy -- damage immunity, defense break and piercing skills, magic damage booster
* Black Rose -- hide-in-plain-sight ability, buff remover and piercing, worth cultivating

The other suggestions made above aren't bad either.

As for May, she's great for Castle Rush (lowers incoming physical damage, debuffs opponents) and pairs quite well with Rachel.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Excellent, Rachel is the coolest looking 7k.

I picked Muse Lina for my newbie quest 6* 5+.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Short of digging through the codex, has anyone made a list of good units with 5* versions but not 4*s?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

May has quite a few unavailable costumes (As do a lot of characters). I'm guessing these were promo costumes and are now permanently unavailable?

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

WAR FOOT posted:

May has quite a few unavailable costumes (As do a lot of characters). I'm guessing these were promo costumes and are now permanently unavailable?

In theory but I haven't played long enough to know if they cycle some of those back in at any point.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

delfin posted:

* Black Rose -- hide-in-plain-sight ability, buff remover and piercing, worth cultivating

Da Qiao seems to be worth considering as well. You lose the Hide passive and Bleed damage, but you get full party 5xAoE immunity for 3 turns, a larger pierce (3x instead of 2x), and the debuff effects all enemies and removes all turns of buffs and has a shorter cooldown (but does no damage, of course).

They seem fairly comparable to me, but people were switching to DQ for the Arena so I'm guessing she's a little better overall?

Also worth considering: DQ is Magic type, Black Rose is Attacker.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
It's a mixed bag, as they serve a similar purpose. The skills are pretty similar; Qiao's are a little larger in effect, Rose's are more damaging. If your teams are built around Physical damage then Qiao won't fit quite as well. Also, Qiao is vulnerable to status effects if not protected by someone else, whereas Rose is debuff-immune.

If you know who you're going up against -- which you won't most of the time in Arena -- you can pick the right tool for the job. Qiao is great against 5-target AOEs but Wukong will chew her up, for instance.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah, I ended up picking DQ because I have almost nothing else Magic type worth ranking up at the moment but a giant backlog of Attacker types. Also I use Dellons so it doesn't really matter to me Phys/Mag damage wise at the moment. Plus DQ is cuter anyway.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Da Qiao is quite good in higher Celestial Tower levels, buff removal can be life saving and it's instantaneous no loving around, along with her relatively useful passive.

I spent over 100 keys trying to get Raccoon for this fuckin puzzle board. I do not look forward to trying to get Jin/Lina/Rei. On the bright side we got our new 7k in time for the new limited time costumes! The Jave one is okay, it gets rid of his Cubone helmet at least.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Okay well, I did just confirm the weird poo poo I saw earlier with Ariel still applies to DQ. If a skill says 'remove all buffs' it does not have any effect on Passive buffs that start from the beginning of the round, at all. The only thing it will dispell are active buffs, or passive buffs that trigger (like Immortality, or respawning like SWK, or other active skills like Rudy).

Skills that just reduce buff duration will actually effect all buffs (so that includes any Immunity and resistances and such with a turn limit). So that seems like a pretty huge negative against DQ, unless there's something else I'm missing there.

On the other hand I guess, the good thing about DQ's active in particular, is that the AI won't choose to use it unless there actually is something to dispell. Presumaby because that's the only component to the skill, no damage/bleed/etc.
The downside ... well, you can get trolled into using it by skills like Jam's Magic Buff :v:

It probably matters less as you go since you'll be geared up with tons of pierces and status effects, and a lot of heroes have Void Damage anyway which is not effected by either. Plus, eventually you'll pull an Ace or Teo to help fill in as well.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 2, 2016

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

wait wait wait there are blazblue characters in this game?

and tao ISN'T one of them? guess i'll have to settle for getting Jam. You can still get them, right? :ohdear:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

You can't get them anymore and none of them are worth pursuing anyway. You can't transcend them without duplicates of themselves which means you'd need to turbowhale to get them to level 40 anyway (think in the range of ~500$).

On top of that, they'll get replaced in the meta shortly anyway, and then there will be the level cap increase later on top of that.

So basically don't roll on collabs ever.

Also just found out that DQ's skill doesn't even have any effect on SWK's respawns despite them being on a timer. So that's another use for her thrown out the window. There's like, 2 things that her skill even works on, it'd be kinda completely useless if both of those two things weren't extremely common in Arena.

E: Oh loving lol, DQ doesn't even have a real Void Shield. Pierce attacks go straight through it, what the gently caress is even the point of this character lol

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 3, 2016

lets be best friends okay
Jun 1, 2000

okay

gwrtheyrn posted:

Short of digging through the codex, has anyone made a list of good units with 5* versions but not 4*s?

I think that the only units like that are Giparang, Alice, and Aragon. Giparang is the best of those but Alice can be useful too. They added a 4* version of Bi Dam in Global which is why his 4* and 5* have the exact same description and look the same.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
psa if you're on android and it's whining about 7k being a malicious app, it's a known issue, though I can't see what's at the mobirum link and I'm too lazy to register an account to.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

This puzzle is going to take forever. I cleared the first two zones but it seems like the rest are going to suck big time

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

gwrtheyrn posted:

This puzzle is going to take forever. I cleared the first two zones but it seems like the rest are going to suck big time

yeah, even 3-10 is annoying to farm because leo keeps popping back up and making speed attacks. basically all of the other x-10 zones after the first two areas are not fodder safe and or have an annoying immunity or zombies or something

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

It's not even just that, it's that the drop rate sucks. The fodder part wouldn't matter if I didn't have to spend hundreds of keys on it as well.

Speaking of which, I've finally run out of the initial rush of keys :(. Guess I have to be a little more careful about saving them up for hot time now

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Remember to farm for those during weekend hottime as you get a significant bonus to your drop rates during that. It definitely seems like a pain but at least that helps.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I see this game has the Future Fight problem where some costumes can look worse than the vanilla variant, but if you want those sweet, sweet bonus stats, you just have to uglify your characters.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I did a buncha boosted missions to try and get the puzzle pieces for Ace, and now I am in a keyless, rubyless hell

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

AFAIK Boost Mode is only good for decreasing the Time you spend doing things, it's crazy inefficient in terms of Key usage by comparison to just running normally.

Also as far as Costumes go, the bonus you get from them is hilariously trivial. Like, ~2% of your stats in terms of bonus at high end. So don't bother buying one unless you like how it looks.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Better use of 4* dark element, Sieq or Spike(or neither)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

probably Spike unless you have some other 7k kicking around

• Locked thread