Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rockman Reserve

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i am so excited to read the initial draft of everything thrown together in the next phase of this awesome cult project

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Glompton

food court bailiff posted:

i am so excited to read the initial draft of everything thrown together in the next phase of this awesome cult project

:same:

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Fredflonston

Absolute Lithops posted:

:siren::siren::siren: HELP ME I NEED DIRECTION :siren::siren::siren:

I need to write about Margaret's Trials, but I have too many options and it's scary.

My advice is to just start writing. Even if you just pick stuff from the top of your head or the first word that comes to mind just roll with it and it'll come together. Even if you start over you gotta just get some words on paper ya know?

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms

Absolute Lithops posted:

I need to write about Margaret's Trials, but I have too many options and it's scary.

My ideas are:

- A tree or rock (or both???) give(s) her tasks to complete, because sometimes rocks and trees do that in fairy tales.

- She is rewarded with having stuff come out of her mouth when she talks, like in the "Diamonds and Toads" fairy tale.

What happens in the middle? What are her trials? I don't know! I need suggestions!

make them insanely easy task except she have to do them in a real roundabout way cause she for example has stuff coming out her mouth when she t alks

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
Urge...to probate...posters who haven't turned in their chapters yet...rising... :devil:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
If you would like to be probated to facilitate your writing, please let me know :)

----------------

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms
well if you're handing them out for free...

joke_explainer

Absolute Lithops posted:

My ideas are:

- A tree or rock (or both???) give(s) her tasks to complete, because sometimes rocks and trees do that in fairy tales.

- She is rewarded with having stuff come out of her mouth when she talks, like in the "Diamonds and Toads" fairy tale.

What happens in the middle? What are her trials? I don't know! I need suggestions!

Well one quick tip is the chapter title is Miriam's Trial's, not Margaret's.

Ideas for Trials:

Miriam is tasked with unearthing an ancient relic but isn't an archaeologist.

Miriam has to calculate escape velocity with only what she can find in a jail cell.

Miriam's being forced to work for the enemy, and the three trials test her loyalty but she manages to see through them.

Miriam's a doctor and she has to treat three difficult patients

Idk, there's a lot of ideas!

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms
miriam has to play dota 2 but she can't get angry at her team

City of Glompton

Miriam needs to collect something that is hard to get, either due to scarcity or because physically difficult. see the fairy tale The White Snake for examples

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

MrWillsauce

I can't do it! I just can't do it! I've been trying to write stuff for like 2 hours and it just won't work and it's bad and I hate myself. dang it.

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug

MrWillsauce posted:

I can't do it! I just can't do it! I've been trying to write stuff for like 2 hours and it just won't work and it's bad and I hate myself. dang it.

Hey man, don't be so hard on yourself. If nothing's working go take a break, do something completely unrelated and just relax.

When you come back try starting over and just write a simple bullet point outline. Really broad like,

• Sally goes to the store
  • Sally buys some milk but spills it
  • Sally gets in trouble

Then from there expand on each point. Why is sally going to the store? Why did she spill it? Why is she getting in trouble? You can start at any one, but lets start in the middle.

• Sally goes to the store
  • Sally buys some milk
  • A bad goblin trips sally
  • Sally spills the milk
  • Sally gets in trouble

Now we have to expand on the goblin character. I put in a goblin because I like goblins and by doing so it also allows me to bring in fantasy elements. To keep it neat and tidy I really only want to bring in one more character and we can tie it up neatly by expanding this way.

• Sally is a slave to her evil godmother
  • Sally is sent to the store for milk
  • Evil G.mom has made this a setup to hurt Sally's confidence
  • Evil G mom sends her goblin to mess it up
  • Sally buys some milk
  • A bad goblin trips sally
  • Sally spills the milk
  • Sally spots the goblin and chases it home
  • Sally gets in trouble for wasting money and no milk
  • Sally tries to blame a goblin by G.Mom won't hear it.
  • Sally is sad she got in trouble by knows the goblin was real and instead becomes determined

So now you have a pretty solid outline for a chapter. You can easily the attack the story bullet point by bullet point. Each element has a place and logical reason for being there and the chapter neat and concise in terms of overall story. The rest is just writing to fill out your points with colorful language and dialog.

At least that's my method, other people have different ones but i'm a little ADD and need a structure to keep me on task and this breaks it into little bits.

Hang in there, You can do it!

Manifisto

MrWillsauce posted:

we believe in you!

the moon people believe in you!

miriam believes in you!

arkanomen has some solid advice (thanks!) another thing that works sometimes--after taking a break (which is an excellent idea), write stream of consciousness, full force, for five or ten minutes. just keep powering through, don't worry about making everything neat and tidy and grammatical, incorporate the most outrageous or stupid ideas that come into your head. what you want to do is tap into the firehose of creativity. you may find that some of the stuff that comes out is not half bad.

social vegan

what happens to sally next

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

MrWillsauce posted:

Dude...chill...just describe the treasures.

----------------

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
Describe moon gems. Moon swords. Moon helmets. Moon tapestries illustrating the moon stories of long ago. Moon statues of moon myths. Moon shields. Moon chests.

----------------

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
Use this as a starting point maybe? http://chaoticshiny.com/treasuregen.php

----------------

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms
just write some random words and let the editor sort it out

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug

social vegan posted:

what happens to sally next

She decides that living at home is terrible, convinces the goblin that her step mom isn't chill and they both run away to California and start a traveling bluegrass street band and work at an animal shelter rehabilitating lizards.

Nathilus

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Sorry, I'm still working over here. I'm having some issues with the actual argument part. It keeps coming out really stilted. I'm gonna have to drink a lot of booze and just ram through it.

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

Nathilus posted:

I'm gonna have to drink a lot of booze and just ram through it.

This worked for Hemingway.

----------------

Nathilus

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

misty mountaintop posted:

This worked for Hemingway.

It legit works for me too. I'm a bit fussy with my own writing which results in a lot of stops and redos when I'm sober. When I get drunk though I can write without all the stopping and deleting. I just go "gently caress EEEEEEEEEET" like that dude from dusk till dawn and just drunkenly ram out a whole thing in one go, and it will still generally be at least as good as it would have been if I had tried loving with it forever, sober.

I share a muse with countless other writers and creative types down through the ages. :cheers:

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms
creative juices I believe they're called

joke_explainer

Describe moon gems. Moon swords. Moon helmets. Moon tapestries illustrating the moon stories of long ago. Moon statues of moon myths. Moon shields. Moon chests.

legit salivating imagining all these moon treasures

social vegan

moon shirts depicting moon mash ups of the super mario bros and popular sitcoms at the time

Rockman Reserve

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i am cheering on everybody who is still writing! you can do it!

Manifisto

Urge...to probate...posters who haven't turned in their chapters yet...rising... :devil:

so you're saying that by telling you stories we can avoid your wrath? :confused: weird

food court bailiff posted:

i am cheering on everybody who is still writing! you can do it!

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

Manifisto posted:

so you're saying that by telling you stories we can avoid your wrath? :confused: weird

At the end of every night I will ban you, unless I am so interested in how the story will end that I have to not ban you until it's over.

----------------

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
:siren: I'm gonna give until the 8th for people to get their writing in, in whatever form they have it :siren:

At that point we'll see what we've got, what we need, and whether/in what form this project can move forward.

If you haven't yet turned something in, here are some simple rules:

1. Don't erase! Never ever! If you don't like what you're writing, just start a new page and write, but keep the old stuff because:
2. Even if all send me is a complete jumble of words with no organization, coherence, or basic sanity, that is still ok and a Valid Contribution
3. Believe in yourself! :) I do.
4. Please write something.

----------------

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms
what happens to them if they don't deliver before the 8th :ohdear:

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

Ahundredbux posted:

what happens to them if they don't deliver before the 8th :ohdear:

Trump becomes president.

----------------

Android Blues

the byob project rips off its mask, revealing it was a clinton campaign stunt all along. a tear in my eye. she finally connected with the vital weed idiot demographic

social vegan

please do ur best to submit to misty asap, I can't sit much longer on my script movie adaptation of Chapter 7 - Edith, the Girl Who Was Born With Her Heart in Her Hand, I'm already pitching it to the directors of Crank as a 3rd instalment in the trilogy

joke_explainer

so how are you guys depicting the devil? the devil is a voice in a radio in my chapter telling frog how to do things in my chapter.

my new dog

by Nyc_Tattoo
are there chapters posted in this 9 page thread. how can i help. :wizard:

----------------

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug

joke_explainer posted:

so how are you guys depicting the devil? the devil is a voice in a radio in my chapter telling frog how to do things in my chapter.

My devil is a pretty lady frog in disguise that usurps his throne.

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
El diablo takes many forms.

----------------

Android Blues

my devil is capable of reading the text of the book, like the reader can

social vegan

my uncle glen who always gives me burnt copies of the same Cream cds every year is the devil, he doesn't appear in my chapter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

Android Blues posted:

my devil is capable of reading the text of the book, like the reader can

my devil is the op of this thread :devil:

• Locked thread