Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

Prediction time...

- How is Zarco gonna bottle it today?
- Who is going to claim the victory when Zarco bottles it today?

Hope Marc can come away with something decent today though. Spots of rain should add some suitable spice to proceedings.

p.s. Also happy to be proven wrong by Zarco today; just not seeing it atm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

I doubt he even has to bottle it, quatrararo and olivera have been going so well this weekend the win is theirs to throw away. zarco got lucky with pole and if he can stay up he'll probably be on the podium which would be good for the championship

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

and that's why I don't bet, lmao. happy for Marc though that has to be a big ego boost.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Marc won that through sheer force of will,and the fact that Aleix backed everyone up when the rain warning flags came out while Marc just put his head down and went for it.

I have to say all the fuckacting and hand waving during qualyifying was really annoying.
Its one thing having the dumb teens in moto3 doing it. But alex marquez taking his hand off the throttle mid turn to wave at Miller and almost causing a 3 bike pile up should have got him put to the back of the grid.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FBS posted:

I hope I get to root for an American again someday. :sigh:

Too early to say, but there's promise.

Rossi Moor was lapping me four years ago on a kx65, and now he's racing in the Northern Talent Cup, a feeder league for moto3. The top racers get rides in moto3, and in his first season he's gotten pole twice but couldn't keep up on rainy and mixed races. This weekend in Germany they finally got some dry races and he showed everyone what he can do. 2nd on race 1, and his first win on race 2. This puts him 3rd in points with 4 rounds left. Worth following if you wanna see a fast American again, but you won't hear the right anthem, as he's racing as a Hungarian (born on Portland Oregon, but both parents from Hungary, which is how he got in)

Full race 2 here, it's up there with moto3 in how close the racing is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye9JvrFJ6z0

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

echomadman posted:

Marc won that through sheer force of will

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Haha nice one from Acosta, kicking butt and taking names again as riders were dropping like flies. Good one for Remy too. Oliveira did the job imo.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Meanwhile, in the bin:

quote posted:

“I always have the same problem and that is that the rear wheel skids a lot,” he fumed afterwards. “I have been saying it since Portimao and there is no solution. Yes it is true that we are working , but… six races have already passed to find a solution.

“I really try to be calm, I try to work, I try to do everything. But the result is the same. And then if you have a Ducati in front of you, the frustration is incredible.

“When I had like 15 laps behind [Luca] Marini and [Enea] Bastianini… I could not pass them. I prepared really well, downhill, everything – they have more power, they brake later.

“I’m sorry but with this bike it’s impossible. When I arrived to Franco [Morbidelli] I overtook quite well, just in the first try I overtook him, because against a Yamaha it is much more easier but with the Ducati it’s so hard.”

Even worse than being stuck behind the Ducatis, though, is the extraordinary admission that he purposely dropped back during the race, in a move that some have suggested was a signal to Yamaha about his concerns.

“So basically when I spent 10 laps there,” he explained, “I said ‘okay, I’ll go back, I’ll take fresh air, and I will try to collect data and see how the bike is working alone’. I could make low 1m22s laps at the end of the race, which is not bad.

“While behind them [the Ducatis], I was making [1m]23.5s laps. It’s a big difference.

“But overall, I don’t know. Nobody has the answer to what is going on here. We have to keep working.
“Let him go out to collect data and work,” he says when asked what Yamaha’s response was. “And what do I do? Do I finish 23rd? I’m not here to do 23rd, or to collect data or to be a test rider. In the end, there comes a time that as a rider you say that it seems like a lack of respect.

“The easy way is to take Fabio’s setting, try to adapt, give 100% and see how far I go, but this is not the solution. If I really want to win I have to do it with my own motorcycle.

“Someone else’s settings are not the solution. Yes, one day you can be inspired and it may work well, but it is not the solution. I have been doing I don’t know how many races, since Portimao, in this situation.”
“It shouldn’t be like that,” insisted Vinales. “Each rider has to have his settings. It can’t be that he has been using a rival’s settings for two years. It can’t be. Each one has to carry the settings for their own style and every day they teach me to be a pilot. Take the brake, release the brake, open the throttle, do not open the throttle.

“It is very difficult, as a pilot it is very complicated, because you have to have a lot of patience and I don’t want to use Fabio’s settings because I don’t ride like him. I’m not going to adapt to something that is going well for him, but it’s not going well for me. I have to build a motorcycle for myself. I don’t want to use another rider’s settings ”

The whole situation brings into question whether the seemingly nuclear option of sacking long-time crew chief and close friend Esteban Garcia in place of former Valentino Rossi technical guru Silvano Galbusera was the correct move, given that so far there seems to have been zero impact to Vinales’ on-track performance.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:

Slavvy posted:

Meanwhile, in the bin:

That was hands down the best thing I've read in ages. Never stop being you, Maverick.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
He's gone right. Zarco to factory Yam?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also unrelated anything, I was thinking about this race the other day.

https://www.motoracing-japan.com/result/jrr/1998/r1998_09.html

That field lol.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

What do these tire graphics mean from qualifying? S/M/H is obvious, but is white and yellow? New vs used? Why different shades/filling?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

White and yellow correspond to soft and hard. The tyre sidewall is painted to match so you can tell from a distance, no paint is a medium.

Filled vs hollow is new vs used tyres yeah.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Similar bin, opposite mindset:

quote posted:

"Honestly, I was following my line [with bike set-up] because I felt it was good but in today's race… in the time attack I was not too bad, I was fast, even on the race pace," Espargaro explained.

"But after today's result, it's not that Marc is winning because of the bike, but I'm saying that to understand that I need to do what he is doing, I need to use exactly the same bike.
"So, like that I'm going to understand exactly how he is doing and how I need to ride this bike on the 100% levels as he does. So, today was the first time I [finished] so much time [behind] my teammate.

"I think I never took 14 seconds to my teammate and it's opened my eyes.

"So, I need to work harder, I need to copy what he is doing because he showed me that this bike can win and I was not able to.

"So, from now on I'm going to try to be closer to him than what I've been till now."

Espargaro admits that his plan to copy Marquez's bike going forward means "there is no excuses" for home if he can't turn that into top results.

"I mean, from now on I think I'm just going to try to copy Marc's settings, Marc's chassis – because he's using a different one to us – and I'm going to copy his line," he added.

"Till that moment, we were not very far away in rhythm, in lap time, but this race it's a step and for sure I'm very happy for all the team and all the guys who have been working so much, even for Marc.

"But the point is that for sure Marc showed the performance of the bike today and I need to be on that level.
"So, the only way I see is to copy his settings, his bike, his chassis as soon as possible and then go in his line.

"From that moment on there is no excuses, I need to do what he does or else I'm too slow for that bike. That's it."

Binales and Yamaha have both been in denial about the bolded part. Yamaha isn't in denial anymore and seem to have given up on achieving anything with him. The only people to achieve anything on the Yamaha in recent memory have all done their damnedest to incorporate Lorenzo's approach, while binales' mistakenly thinks the bike can somehow be made stop-go fast like the v4's and seems to think Yamaha are just choosing not to do this.

His very first crew chief was Lorenzo's guy, who was in morbidelli's box last year, and the results are plain to see. Copying the fastest guy is how they all do it, if you don't have to copy at all then you're literally Marc Marquez and don't need to copy by virtue of your supreme adaptability, not religious adherence to your comfort zone. Even Lorenzo himself, arch manbaby with a thousand red gummy bears in his trailer, successfully adapted to Ducati's extreme stop-go character.

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

Slavvy posted:

Similar bin, opposite mindset:

Binales and Yamaha have both been in denial about the bolded part. Yamaha isn't in denial anymore and seem to have given up on achieving anything with him. The only people to achieve anything on the Yamaha in recent memory have all done their damnedest to incorporate Lorenzo's approach, while binales' mistakenly thinks the bike can somehow be made stop-go fast like the v4's and seems to think Yamaha are just choosing not to do this.

His very first crew chief was Lorenzo's guy, who was in morbidelli's box last year, and the results are plain to see. Copying the fastest guy is how they all do it, if you don't have to copy at all then you're literally Marc Marquez and don't need to copy by virtue of your supreme adaptability, not religious adherence to your comfort zone. Even Lorenzo himself, arch manbaby with a thousand red gummy bears in his trailer, successfully adapted to Ducati's extreme stop-go character.

Well said - it's hilarious because as I read your post, i went to search "Vinales Yamaha Contract" and Google top searches got there before I could!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Slavvy posted:

This post will age extremely well.
Didn't have a chance to watch the races until now, but :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It shows that you're only as good as your last race result, stats are for dorks and nobody looks at them.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

It shows that you're only as good as your last race result, stats are for dorks and nobody looks at them.

Secret Vinales enthusiast spotted.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

builds character posted:

Secret Vinales enthusiast spotted.

Binales' stats are abysmal, Yamaha picked him up because people thought the Suzuki was much shittier in 2016 than it really was and that he was working some kind of miracle to win a race on it. In hindsight it was probably nearly on par with the Yamaha, which itself wasn't a trainwreck at the time.

The people writing contracts seem to be just as susceptible to goldfish memory as spectators, and it seems like everyone is desperate to find the next Marquez so they take punts on people like iker while people like Redding lose their seats. Sometimes it even works, you turn over a rock and a quartararo jumps out.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

Sometimes it even works, you turn over a rock and a quartararo jumps out.

This is the problem.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

builds character posted:

This is the problem.

Everyones just biding their time to get Acosta on a GP bike now

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

echomadman posted:

Everyones just biding their time to get Acosta on a GP bike now

Acosta has crazy stats though. So did Marquez, so did Rossi and stoner and George and all the rest of the greats. So he's an obvious bet.

But then look at quartararo's stats (one moto2 podium), they are abysmal and he doesn't look like he'd be anywhere near morbidelli (championship, reams of wins and podiums) but he's turned out to be a little bit faster.

This happens maybe one in a hundred times but it's enough to perpetuate the sweaty-handed hype-driven speculation that fucks good riders over. I think they should at the very least introduce a contract negotiation window so you don't have dumb stuff like guys losing their seat before they've even turned a wheel.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
i'm not religious

but Assen is like church for me.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
o gently caress Marquez

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
drat what a flip

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/aaronbearden93/status/1408489112563240964?s=20

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Acosta got run over :(

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

algebra testes posted:

Acosta got run over :(

That would have been the dumbest way to get really badly hurt or killed.
They need to have the flags as lights on the bikes dash, everyone that was racing in that pack bar Acosta and McPhee had already taken the chequered flag.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Binales to Aprilia lmao

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

Binales to Aprilia lmao

Nice shitpost

Wait

Oh god oh god you're serious lmao

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

Slavvy posted:

Binales to Aprilia lmao

Just when I think this sport can't provide any more sheer amusement. I guess congratulations are in order for Yamaha.

Humour me ladies/fellas - Dovi for Yamaha 2022... I mean, Binales to Aprilia is happening so I'm not taking anything off the table.

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

Well done to Fabio; keep working on that golf swing though lad.

LOL @ Binales. Hope he feels every bit the Aprilia-bound dipshit after that P2.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
hmm, i can't figure out how to pass on my corner speed bike. perhaps i should go to ducati and try something different? nah, let's go to another corner speed bike that also has less horsepower, i'm binales and i'm very smart.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Update on mini Rossi:

That speck up ahead is him in race 2. 7 second lead against the other spec KTMs. Unfortunately he's pretty weak in the wet, so the mixed conditions in race 1 put him in 9th. If he can solve that, he'll be unstoppable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaBYqzmY9gw

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

https://www.yamahamotogp.com/news/28-06-2021-yamaha-and-maverick-vinales-agree-to-part-ways-in-2022

got made official yesterday. so far I haven't seen anything other than wild speculation over who gets that seat not to mention where it leaves petronas if franky gets it

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Franky is not getting that seat. People are thinking he will because it would be logical and make sense to put your second best rider on your second factory bike. But Yamaha aren't operating on logic they're operating on gently caress franco morbidelli. Plus petronas don't seem as interested in being Yamaha's bitch as tech3 were, in all likelihood they'd rather keep him and lobby for a current bike than replace him with a flawed moto 2 guy, which is all the options they have atm

I hope it's gerloff.

Fernandez is going to replace petrucci because KTM wanted to cut off the possiblity of him going to Yamaha. Bezzechi is either staying put or going to vr46, Gardner is also at KTM, there's basically nobody decent left in moto 2 for them to choose from.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 29, 2021

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

the paradigm shift posted:

https://www.yamahamotogp.com/news/28-06-2021-yamaha-and-maverick-vinales-agree-to-part-ways-in-2022

got made official yesterday. so far I haven't seen anything other than wild speculation over who gets that seat not to mention where it leaves petronas if franky gets it

So going with Vinales as my guy from the start has been a...bumpy road. I will say, it was a lot of fun to see him in this race. I kept hoping he'd get by Nakagami and Bagnaia, and when he finally did it was great to see him cut Quatararo's lead a bit, even though he didn't have enough time left to make a game of it. As someone new to this sport though, going from Yamaha (which seems to have pretty excellent bikes) to Aprilia (which seems to have kind of crappy bikes) seems like a very strange choice. Am I missing something there?

Moto3 was awesome as ever. I can't believe Fenati was able to knock out a double long lap penalty and claw his way back to the podium, that was a hell of a ride. Acosta seems to have a couple moments in each race where he should definitely crash, and yet he almost always stay on. Assuming he finishes the season, I don't see how anyone catches him.

Do most of you have a favorite rider that you cheer for against everyone else? When I watch other sports I'm dedicated to a particular team, and don't really enjoy the success of other folks. But for this, maybe because I'm new to it and haven't developed deep loyalties, I really like watching everyone, and the battles at the front are great no matter who's winning (although it was awesome to see Yamaha 1 & 2 this week). Am I weird in that or do most people enjoy motorcycling that way?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Generally only mouthbreathers obsess over one rider at the expense of others (these were called Rossi fans but they're mostly dead now), everyone has favorites and people you don't like but you watch it for the stories, all those little sub-plots intersecting and affecting one another. Plus the battles. Plus the technique (it is much, much more interesting if you know how to ride a bike), plus the engineering aspects of the bikes which are honestly probably the least influential thing on the results.

Aprilia are crappy bikes yes, but binales has no choice whatsoever. No other seats are available until 2023 and skipping a year is a good way of retiring. The bikes are now so close that in a purely performance sense he could probably do some damage on the Aprilia early in in the season, the problem is their tiny budget and amateur hour team. The bike and rider can contribute to good individual results but points over the length of a season are influenced by development and strategy and the work of the team personnel, this is why the satellite teams tend to have really strong early results that fizzle out as the season goes on and the big boy factory outfits really get going. Like how a man can outrun a horse until the horse sorts all it's legs out.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

Slavvy posted:

Generally only mouthbreathers obsess over one rider at the expense of others (these were called Rossi fans but they're mostly dead now), everyone has favorites and people you don't like but you watch it for the stories, all those little sub-plots intersecting and affecting one another. Plus the battles. Plus the technique (it is much, much more interesting if you know how to ride a bike), plus the engineering aspects of the bikes which are honestly probably the least influential thing on the results.
I have wondered about this. I've been riding motorcycles for a little over a decade, but I just tool around country roads for fun, if my lean angle exceeds 10 degrees very often I'd be surprised. Is there a good resource to learn what to watch for in terms of riding technique?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

JohnClark posted:

I have wondered about this. I've been riding motorcycles for a little over a decade, but I just tool around country roads for fun, if my lean angle exceeds 10 degrees very often I'd be surprised. Is there a good resource to learn what to watch for in terms of riding technique?

Sylvan guintoli's YT channel is a good place to start if you want high level poo poo from the horse's mouth. If you just want to get better at riding in an immediate sense read/watch twist of the wrist and total control, these are a good way of understanding fundamentals which you may or may not need idk. But mostly you kind of need to understand what they're trying to do with the bike and what you're seeing is just their method for achieving that aim, and that understanding comes from improving your own riding not looking at others from the outside. Horse before cart.

Otherwise: try posting in other threads on this forum, there are lots of clever riders here.