Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

Because it allows the user to derail the discussion to address an endlessly shifting counterfactual, and abuse any recognition of any good thing in preference to the unreal (and any user who expresses understanding of what is happening).

I will request politely, once, that you keep your words in your own mouth. I'm fully capable of speaking for my own motivations, and if I wanted your words in my mouth I'd slap them out of yours and scoop them up out of the dirt myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

The hemming and hawing about McAuliffe potentially losing just seems divorced from reality here on the ground in VA. My mom asked me about how to vote before she left for a trip and she never votes on state level poo poo, but she wanted to make sure she punched the card for that tremendous loving turd.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Lib and let die posted:

I will request politely, once, that you keep your words in your own mouth. I'm fully capable of speaking for my own motivations, and if I wanted your words in my mouth I'd slap them out of yours and scoop them up out of the dirt myself.

Could we not do this?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Ciprian Maricon posted:

The hemming and hawing about McAuliffe potentially losing just seems divorced from reality here on the ground in VA. My mom asked me about how to vote before she left for a trip and she never votes on state level poo poo, but she wanted to make sure she punched the card for that tremendous loving turd.

Frankly, I could see your mother voting for either candidate from this post.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Could we not do this?

Can we "not do" both parts? I'm perfectly happy not to engage with DV so long as they're willing to not take shots about what "the poster" is saying in place of me speaking for myself.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

With these local elections I’m curious how covid effects things considering that more old reliable conservatives have straight up died over the past two years

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Youngkin +2 most likely due to the Republicans being re-energized from that stupid little tiki torch stunt.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

You’re going to have to clarify which turd your talking about here.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Peter Daou Zen posted:

Youngkin +2 most likely due to the Republicans being re-energized from that stupid little tiki torch stunt.

no it was before that. partly because of Nimby culture grievance poo poo that resonates with NOVA indies and conservatives and partly media and polls and race tightening. apperently alot of early votes were encouraged to get out and vote because of the fox poll.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Peter Daou Zen posted:

Why pick that particular event as the turning point, and not "Parents shouldn't set school curriculums," or the BBB bill languishing, or the supply chain or covid issues?

The tightening in the polls happened before the stunt.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Yeah if McAuliffe loses its probably going to be more from the parents shouldn’t have say in their kids education.

Raccooon fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Nov 2, 2021

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Edmund Lava posted:

You’re going to have to clarify which turd your talking about here.

I'm guessing these are solid jokes about how much McAuliffe sucks, but yeah my mom, a very disconnected voter, was hyped enough to want to make sure she got in her vote for him. This is in NOVA and its whats going to carry that loving loser to Victory imo.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Are there really that many people into overzealous parents on school boards?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fame Douglas posted:

Not if they think about it for two seconds, but, well

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Wife has voted in SWVA. No Democratic signs or Democratic Reps hanging around the polling place, but a lot of Republicans. She was 136th this morning. She voted the same time of day in 2020 and she was much earlier in the numbers.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

+1 for Princess Blanding in the Richmond. Probably going to be disappointed by the results tonight, but I voted my conscience. :unsmith:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
USNews is dead, all hail US Current Events

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

B B posted:

+1 for Princess Blanding in the Richmond. Probably going to be disappointed by the results tonight, but I voted my conscience. :unsmith:

Dumb as dog poo poo.

Edit:
The Democrats have had both houses and the Governor's Mansion for two years. In that time they've ended the death penalty, restored voting rights to tens of thousands of disenfranchised felons, legalized cannabis, took "I smelled weed" out of the police toolbox, and set trans-affirming DoE policy. In VIRGINIA.

If you voted for Blanding you cast a vote for that progress to stop, because you didn't like a guy. You're dumb as dog poo poo.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 2, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Fame Douglas posted:

It was the #1 issue - above economy, coronavirus, and jobs - in every poll from the last week.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Fame Douglas posted:

When every right wing media source screams that it should be a huge issue nonstop, yes. Yes there are, even if McAuliffe's comment was absolutely appropriate.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Fame Douglas posted:

I'm not sure but I can say that being on a school board is going to be a really really poo poo gig for a while with the GOP making this one of their major rallying tactics. It was already crappy but it is going to be a completely different level.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Fame Douglas posted:

Friend, let me tell you why I left teaching and became an Adult Education Counselor...

Parents are loving insane lately. Trump opened the door to every psycho who wants to question what history or Literature you are teaching. Parents are not just helicopters: they're Harriers actively strafing your classroom for any sign or issue they remotely disagree with.

K12 Education in this country is a capitalist customer service model in many affluent places, and parents will lawyer up immediately for the slightest provocation or reason. This country's ongoing propaganda war against teachers and anyone remotely more educated than your "common sense" qanon moron is also a major factor.

Education is hosed until systemic issues are actually addressed

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 2, 2021

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

Scratch a parent and a fascist bleeds.

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheScott2K posted:

Dumb as dog poo poo.

Edit:
The Democrats have had both houses and the Governor's Mansion for two years. In that time they've ended the death penalty, restored voting rights to tens of thousands of disenfranchised felons, legalized cannabis, took "I smelled weed" out of the police toolbox, and set trans-affirming DoE policy. In VIRGINIA.

If you voted for Blanding you cast a vote for that progress to stop, because you didn't like a guy. You're dumb as dog poo poo.

If somebody doesn't want to vote for the Democrat they aren't obligated to. They can vote for whoever they want. What is wrong with you?

Their values obviously more align with the Liberation Party than the Democrats.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Peter Daou Zen posted:

If somebody doesn't want to vote for the Democrat they aren't obligated to. They can vote for whoever they want. What is wrong with you?

Their values obviously more align with the Liberation Party than the Democrats.

Voting is the thing you do with your brain. Donate with your conscience. Demonstrate with your conscience.

In this race a vote for Blanding is a vote for the GOP. Vote with your brain.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Nah, it was a vote for Blanding.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Blanding is going to be a great Governor.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

B B posted:

I was about to laugh at you for voting "LP" but I didn't realize that she's actually not a libertarian candidate

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Look, Scott, I'm also someone who will vote for Democrats even if I technically like a third party candidate better. In my viewpoint that's better overall. But vote scolding makes these boards really toxic. It's toxic and entirely ineffective. Calling B B 'dumb as dog poo poo' isn't going to get them to vote D next time. Make a positive case for your candidate of choice before the election.

Edit: Honestly I feel like vote scolding in either direction should be probable. It's the root of much of the ugliness on the board.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

If Youngkin wins, the takeaway for the Dems is going to be "progressive policy leads to electoral backlash that costs us our jobs." Whatever you think you're voting for by voting for Blanding will be even further away than it is now, and you'll have helped make it that way.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Look, Scott, I'm also someone who will vote for Democrats even if I technically like a third party candidate better. In my viewpoint that's better overall. But vote scolding makes these boards really toxic. It's toxic and entirely ineffective. Calling B B 'dumb as dog poo poo' isn't going to get them to vote D next time. Make a positive case for your candidate of choice before the election.

If two years of policy achievements that were basically unthinkable a decade ago still has this person doing DSA moron poo poo with their ballot then they are in fact dumb as dog poo poo.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 2, 2021

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
the parties and media love pigeonholing people into voting strategically, rather than for who most aligns with their political beliefs.

Even when the choice is within one of the two major parties. Wasn't there a recent example of this? How did it work out?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

In this race a vote for Blanding is a vote for the GOP.

Absolutely not and this logic is stupid as gently caress.

RBA Starblade posted:

I was about to laugh at you for voting "LP" but I didn't realize that she's actually not a libertarian candidate

Yeah I made that mistake when I first saw that too haha.

Jack-in-the-Bach
Oct 15, 2005

Democrats have to earn votes too. People can choose to vote for whomever they want.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

Dumb as dog poo poo.

Edit:

No, he just didn’t want to vote for a conservative like T-Mac.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

TheScott2K posted:

Voting is the thing you do with your brain. Donate with your conscience. Demonstrate with your conscience.

Oh dang I bet they're fishing their ballot out right now to fix it. You absolutely did something here for something besides yourself.

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheScott2K posted:

No, it was a vote for the non Democrat. People aren't obligated to vote for ANYBODY.

My family in Virginia all voted for Youngkin, but I'm not going to call them names over it.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

In my opinion the only way to vote for Youngkin is to vote for Youngkin. Votes for all other candidates are definitionally not votes for Youngkin. Thank you for your consideration.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
This is why America is a right-wing country: the left isn't able to stay disciplined in electoral politics.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wonder if she'll get a higher percentage of the vote than Howie did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Morrow posted:

This is why America is a right-wing country: the left isn't able to stay disciplined in electoral politics.

Is Terry on the left?