Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Endorph posted:

also Nintendo of America just blatantly has no idea how to market fire emblem on any level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOMEamyw_Zw

peep the only US commercial three houses got. WAR IS IMMINENT (war does not happen for half the game,) literally no mention of the teacher/academy premise, no mention of character stuff, a lady doing a bad impression of professor mcgonagall, trying to sell the game as a hardcore tactical challenge.

Why is the framedrop so terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Tired Moritz posted:

Why is the framedrop so terrible

Three Houses was not super well optimized. I watched that Digital Foundry regarding Engage and the comparisons they did made it clear 3H was not a technical marvel. It struggled to keep 30fps in battle and don't even get started on the monastery.

It also had the color palette of an early CoD game.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
excited to play this game! moreover I haven't actively followed most of the videos released for it so not hugely aware of what to expect

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Is there still no jp version of the opening on youtube? I feel like the japanese twitter etc. did at least 5x more infoposting than any official english source.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The literal simple answer why emgage is getting less notice than three houses is because the game was annoinced in september and releasing im january.

Fe3h was over a year between annoncement ans actual release.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

Is there still no jp version of the opening on youtube? I feel like the japanese twitter etc. did at least 5x more infoposting than any official english source.
i think the eng opening was leaked from the preview copies. japan doesn't have a similar culture - they don't hand out preview copies to japanese youtubers or anything, at least most of the time, and most professional reviewers in japan are still in magazines, not websites.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

watching some vids now and wow the optimization looks way better for this entry over 3H

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Going from3Houses cutscenes to 3Hopes cutscenes was funny.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Deltasquid posted:

Twitter discourse is still deranged though
gently caress you for posting that

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/mikapikazo/status/1612463805346512898

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

depends if it triggers if diamant is gonna break the enemy. the battle previews show the enemy being unable to counterattack if you're gonna break, but on the other hand if diamant misses the enemy would counter.

Going back to this 'cause I went back to look at his combat video

The skill triggers here at the battle start and the enemy's hit chance is really high, so yeah it activates before combat no matter what as long as the enemy was at some point able to counter.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

in that case leif definitely seems like diamant's best engage, since hes the one built around breaking

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

It looks like a really good personal regardless, I'll take any accuracy booster the game will give me. It'd be even better with Brave weapons.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I like colors and tile games.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Diamant definitely has my favorite design of all the characters we've seen. Here's hoping he's actually interesting.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Emblem spoilers: it appears the 13th emblem is Alear.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The rpgsite guy mentioned the english embargo couldnt talk about some things despite jp revealing it.

If you remember nintendo refusing to let outlets talk about smash 4 charactera despite literally being advertised in japanese websites.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Zoran posted:

Do...

Do you clone yourself????

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
What if twins but one is evil.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Does it have to be Alear? It could be JP noticed it but decided to remove the portrait instead of redoing the shot and thus that Emblem could be anyone. It is a 13th Emblem for sure, true.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Eimi posted:

I really love Genshin Impact. I also loathe the look and style of Engage. I'm with Endorph in really questioning how people say they are similar. If Engage was like Genshin It would eliminate at least half the reasons I hate it. Genshin's style is comparatively subdued while I'm sure even the fans of Pikazo's style would say she's using the artistic equivalent of all caps when it comes to color.

Also muted colors are awesome and while I hate how 3H looks, I blame issues more like anti-aliasing and just the engine being rear end instead of the art style.

i think engage looks like genshin impact a fair bit but in terms of overall visuals (mostly just the way the character models are rendered and the stylised environment - though as previously noted engage is more saturated overall), not the character designs which are indeed very different.

three houses had big technical problems but the environments would have still been pretty ugly even if it had antialiasing and ran well. it really could have used more stylised environments to gel better with the character models (which were fine) instead of the ugly ps3-game realism it went for.

Zoran posted:

does anything actually suggest that the thirteenth emblem is alear or is that just speculation for now?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

lih posted:

does anything actually suggest that the thirteenth emblem is alear or is that just speculation for now?

Not explicitly, but the person with access to the preview initially posted a follow-up that very strongly suggested the guess was right and expressed astonishment at how bold the JP marketing team was to post a video that just barely kept some crucial plot element out of frame. They've since edited that out.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 10, 2023

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Levantine posted:

Three Houses was not super well optimized. I watched that Digital Foundry regarding Engage and the comparisons they did made it clear 3H was not a technical marvel. It struggled to keep 30fps in battle and don't even get started on the monastery.

It also had the color palette of an early CoD game.

I remember being shocked when I first played 3 Houses around release how terrible it looked, particularly during the monastery. I want to say that it ran better than it did when I resumed playing again last year due to patches, but I think that was me having my expectations realligned.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Zoran posted:

Not explicitly, but the person with access to the preview initially posted a follow-up that very strongly suggested the guess was right and expressed astonishment at how that bold the JP marketing team was to post a video that just barely kept some crucial plot element out of frame. They've since edited that out.

...it's gonna turn out we're not the real Alear and actually Sombron's kid or smth, and the true Alear (of the opposite gender as yours) is the final Emblem, and Marth and the Stewards were put to keep an eye on them, ins't it.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

...it's gonna turn out we're not the real Alear and actually Sombron's kid or smth, and the true Alear (of the opposite gender as yours) is the final Emblem, and Marth and the Stewards were put to keep an eye on them, ins't it.

That sounds dumb.

So you're probably right.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

There's skills that reference dragon and not alear, so either there's another dragon character or it's literally just because of DLC Tiki which ugh

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Tae posted:

There's skills that reference dragon and not alear, so either there's another dragon character or it's literally just because of DLC Tiki which ugh

Be some kind of thing if Tiki's ring magically made extra divine dragon's to abuse abilities with.

But really it's probably just because you can change alear's name.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Oh god it's worse than that. Tae's post made me check Serenes Forest to see if Tiki's Emblem does turn units into the Dragon subclass.

There's a loving slot between Tiki and Byleth. And it's even on the English trailer! Either Nintendo doesn't gaf about spoiling poo poo themselves, or someone got fired from the promo team.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug

Supremezero posted:

Do...

Do you clone yourself????

I mean if the metric for being a ring is 'Be the Protagonist of a Fire Emblem game', then having the meta moment where Alear is the protagonist in a Fire Emblem game and thus must equip their own ring is a natural progression.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think alear's ever been shown equipping the blank ring though. isn't it way more likely that they just turn into a ring and you equip them to non-alear characters.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

theshim posted:

Diamant definitely has my favorite design of all the characters we've seen. Here's hoping he's actually interesting.

Yeah this guy loving owns. I am cool on several of the designs (especially the MC's) and really like others (the blond griffin woman woman comes to mind) but this guy loving nails a look I dig very much. His scarf-cloak and his armor and his color scheme are all rad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

diamant's design really reminds me of ike's which makes it funny that roy seems to be his default engage.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
getting more xenoblade 2 vibes tbh

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
the character designs in this aren't anywhere near as stupid as xb2

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

lih posted:

the character designs in this aren't anywhere near as stupid as xb2

Literally no one in this game has an outfit within ten thousand miles of how dumb Rex's design is in XB2.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
My favorite design right now is Kagetsu.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Kanos posted:

Literally no one in this game has an outfit within ten thousand miles of how dumb Rex's design is in XB2.

Half 'slap some gears on it and call it steampunk', half 'Luso from Tactics A2.'

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Hellioning posted:

Half 'slap some gears on it and call it steampunk', half 'Luso from Tactics A2.'

The excuse is supposed to be that the outer steampunky parts are part of armored diving suit that gets filled out when he goes diving, but it's still hideous.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Kanos posted:

one of the worst character designs ive ever seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kanos posted:

Looks like something Aqua would try to trick Kazuma into wearing.