Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

sullat posted:

Yeah everyone knows that the best time to buy stock in a company is when you're panick-withdrawing all your money out of it.
tip of the day: buy high, sell low

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

tip of the day: buy high, oops thing blew up no longer exists and has no value

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

buy high, sell sober

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
ready for some big gains tomorrow., thank you fed and biden

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol I'm not a banker but it seems like if the FDIC is now insuring all deposits no matter how big then it's basically a blank check to do whatever no matter how risky. A billion dollars of deposits to speculate in PonziCoin? Why not you already got preemptively bailed out

shareholders =! depositors

shareholders were nuked.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
lol love yellen/jpow doing unprecedented poo poo

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Thinking about that one startup that paused a round layoffs because of this

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol I'm not a banker but it seems like if the FDIC is now insuring all deposits no matter how big then it's basically a blank check to do whatever no matter how risky. A billion dollars of deposits to speculate in PonziCoin? Why not you already got preemptively bailed out

the insurance is covered by premiums which are paid by banks

I can't imagine the huge banks are particularly happy about their insurance pool thinning out and going to cover all of these feeble competitors who were snatching up their high-return clients already. The FDIC assessments on banks will almost necessarily have to increase.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

This banking thing seems pretty easy we should all get into it.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Oglethorpe posted:

buy high, sell sober

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Oglethorpe posted:

buy high, sell sober

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

homer: no you won’t

sec: yes I will

homer: nope

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

shareholders were nuked.

Yeah reading the actual statement this sounds fine - the bank goes under BUT the depositors at least will likely be made fine through asset sales.

Maybe startups should actually learn how to operate businesses in a legitimate manner by spreading payrolls out over multiple deposited accounts, this is a completely solved problem for large businesses

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Oglethorpe posted:

buy high, sell sober

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

shareholders were nuked.

I still fondly remember when Maurice 'Hank' Greenberg sued the Fed for breaching fiduciary duty towards AIG shareholders, with the trial court saying they exceeded authority but the value of AIG at takeover was $0 so he was entitled to no damages.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

FizFashizzle posted:

Forgive me, if this is wrong, or obvious, but I read that many of the start ups were required by their founders to park their money at SVB. Presumably, this money was coming from accounts that were already at SVB.

Doesn’t that just scream fraud?

neal breen

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

:patriot:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCC_dVGIMDM

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Yeah man we've been in a recession since about 1976 they just chose different numbers to look at

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ix_AF7Q5R0

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

when you withdrew but she still bailin

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Shipon posted:

the bank goes under BUT the depositors at least will likely be made fine through asset sales.

I don’t think it’s actually going to cost too much either.

the problem here are MBS and treasuries that fell in value because rates rose. eventually even if rates do not fall those will rise in value back to the original price as they approach maturity.

they’re illiquid not worthless.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

So if the paper loss on treasuries for SVB isn't real anymore because they can get new loans from the fed, then why exactly are the shareholders screwed? Isn't this company worth something again?

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

gently caress yeah, crisis averted. suck it doomers.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

ScrubLeague posted:

Yeah man we've been in a recession since about 1976 they just chose different numbers to look at
mid-90s were reasonably good times for the average working poor-middle class. housing still like 40k-140k, median household income $33k, healtchare like $100/month, etc. it was at least the first and last time things were pretty good for minorities

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

err posted:

lol love yellen/jpow doing unprecedented poo poo

I feel like homer waving grampa simpson at the stonecutters here

It's not unprecedented, they did it before, it was just successfully cast into the memory hole

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Woke Mind Virus posted:

So if the paper loss on treasuries for SVB isn't real anymore because they can get new loans from the fed, then why exactly are the shareholders screwed? Isn't this company worth something again?

the company is already gone. it doesn't exist. The feds have their money and their executives are preparing to be sued into the ground. it died so quickly that even people with short positions are scrambling to try to get their money

only depositors can access the loan money, and the FDIC is running those deposits now

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

what does HFN in India do

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

lol indian farmer tech startup

Ruchit G Garg, Founder CEO of HFN, said, “At HFN, our goal is to help farmers realise their full potential by reducing the plethora of inefficiencies across the agriculture value chain. Simple and widely-available technologies like WhatsApp and Twitter have allowed us to create massive data-driven farmer co-operatives, which allows farmers to negotiate better rates for farm inputs and more competitive prices for outputs.”

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

cackling at NUMBER even as they feed me into the woodchipper

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

shyduck posted:

BREAKING: the economy

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
drat i take a break to watch some hockey and we got a whole new thread and several pages of posts already

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Lessail posted:

drat i take a break to watch some hockey and we got a whole new thread and several pages of posts already

same

so it's a bailout. p fuckin funny.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
if people have an healthy tolerance to reddit-isms, this is an interesting read. https://www.reddit.com/r/Superstonk/comments/z8wus9/hyperinflation_is_coming_the_dollar_endgame_part/ i don't agree entirely but im with the general gist

quote:

SERIES (Parts 1-4) TL/DR: We are at the end of a MASSIVE debt supercycle. This 80-100 year pattern always ends in one of two scenarios- default/restructuring (deflation a la Great Depression) or inflation (hyperinflation in severe cases (a la Weimar Republic). The United States has been abusing it’s privilege as the World Reserve Currency holder to enforce its political and economic hegemony onto the Third World, specifically by creating massive artificial demand for treasuries/US Dollars, allowing the US to borrow extraordinary amounts of money at extremely low rates for decades, creating a Sword of Damocles that hangs over the global financial system.

The massive debt loads have been transferred worldwide, and sovereigns are starting to call our bluff. Governments papered over the 2008 financial crisis with debt, but never fixed the underlying issues, ensuring that the crisis would return, but with greater ferocity next time. Systemic risk (from derivatives) within the US financial system has built up to the point that collapse is all but inevitable, and the Federal Reserve has demonstrated it will do whatever it takes to defend legacy finance (banks, broker/dealers, etc) and government solvency, even at the expense of everything else (The US Dollar).

The Inflation Serpent

To most citizens living in the West, the concept of a collapsing fiat currency seems alien, unfathomable even. They regard it as an unfortunate event reserved only for those wretched souls unlucky enough to reside in third world countries or under brutal dictatorships.

Monetary mismanagement was seen to be a symptom only of the most corrupt countries like Venezuela- those where the elites gained control of the Treasury and printing press and used this lever to steal unimaginable wealth while impoverishing their constituents.

However, the annals of history spin a different tale- in fact, an eventual collapse of fiat currency is the norm, not the exception.

In a study of 775 fiat currencies created over the last 500 years, researchers found that approximately 599 have failed, leaving only 176 remaining in circulation. Approximately 20% of the 775 fiat currencies examined failed due to hyperinflation, 21% were destroyed in war, and 24% percent were reformed through centralized monetary policy. The remainder were either phased out, converted into another currency, or are still around today.

The average lifespan for a pure fiat currency is only 27 years- significantly shorter than a human life.

Double-digit inflation, once deemed an “impossible” event for the United States, is now within a stone’s throw. Powell, desperate to maintain credibility, has embarked on the most aggressive hiking schedule the Fed has ever undertaken. The cracks are starting to widen in the system.

One has to look no further than a simple graph of the M2 Money Supply, a measure that most economists agree best estimates the total money supply of the United States, to see a worrying trend:

The trend is exponential. Through recessions, wars, presidential elections, cultural shifts, and even the Internet age- M2 keeps increasing non-linearly, with a positive second derivative- money supply growth is accelerating.

This hyperbolic growth is indicative of a key underlying feature of the fiat money system: virtually all money is credit. Under a fractional reserve banking system, most money that circulates is loaned into existence, and doesn't exist as real cash- in fact, around 97% of all “money” counted within the banking system is debt, in one form or another. (See Dollar Endgame Part 3)

Debt virtually always has a yield- that yield is called interest, and that interest demands payment. Thus, any fiat money banking system MUST grow money supply at a compounding interest rate, forever, in order to remain stable.

Debt defaulting is thus quite literally the destruction of money- which is why the deflation is widespread, and also why M2 Money Supply shrank by 30% during the Great Depression.

This process repeats ad infinitum, perpetually compounding loan creation and thus money supply, in order to prevent systemic defaults. The system is BUILT for constant inflation.

In the last 50 years, only about 12 quarters have seen reductions in commercial bank credit. That’s less than 5% of the time. The other 95% has seen increases, per data from the St. Louis Fed.

Even without accounting for debt crises, wars, and government defaults, money supply must therefore grow exponentially forever- solely in order to keep the wheels on the bus.

The question is where that money supply goes- and herein lies the key to hyperinflation.

In the aftermath of 2008, the Fed and Treasury worked together to purchase billions of dollars of troubled assets, mortgage backed securities, and Treasury bonds- all in a bid to halt the vicious deleveraging cycle that had frozen credit markets and already sunk two large investment banks.

These programs were the most widespread and ambitious ever- and resulted in trillions of dollars of new money flowing into the financial system. Libertarian candidates and gold bugs such as Peter Schiff, who had rightly forecasted the Great Financial Crisis, now began to call for hyperinflation.

The trillions of printed money, he claimed, would create massive inflation that the government would not be able to tame. U.S. debt would be downgraded and sold, and with the Fed coming to the rescue with trillions more of QE, extreme money supply increases would ensue. An exponential growth curve in inflation was right around the corner.

Gold prices rallied hard, moving from $855 at the start of 2008 to a record high of $1,970 by the end of 2011. The end of the world was upon us, many decried. Occupy Wall Street came out in force.

However, to his great surprise, nothing happened. Inflation remained incredibly tame, and gold retreated from its euphoric highs. Armageddon was averted, or so it seemed.

The issue that was not understood well at the time was that there existed two economies- the financial and the real. The Fed had pumped trillions into the financial economy, and with a global macroeconomic downturn plus foreign central banks buying Treasuries via dollar recycling, all this new money wasn’t entering the real economy.
Instead, it was trapped, circulating in the hands of money market funds, equities traders, bond investors and hedge funds. The S&P 500, which had hit a record low in March of 2009, began a steady rally that would prove to be the strongest and most pronounced bull market in history.

The Fed in the end did achieve extreme inflation- but only in assets.

Without the Treasury incurring significant fiscal deficits this money did not flow out into the markets for goods and services but instead almost exclusively into equity and bond markets.

The great inflationary catastrophe touted by the libertarians and the gold bugs alike never came to pass- their doomsday predictions appeared frenetic, neurotic.

Instead of re-evaluating their arguments under this new framework, the neo-Keynesians, who held the key positions of power with Treasury, the Federal Reserve, and most American Universities (including my own) dismissed their ideas as economic drivel.

The Fed had succeeded in averting disaster- or so they claimed. Bernanke, in all his infinite wisdom, had unleashed the “Wealth Effect”- a crucial behavioral economic theory suggesting that people spend more as the value of their assets rise.

An even more extreme school of thought emerged- the Modern Monetary Theorists- who claimed that Central Banks had essentially discovered a ‘perpetual motion machine’- a tool for unlimited economic growth as a result of zero bound interest rates and infinite QE.

The government could borrow money indefinitely, and traditional metrics like Debt/GDP no longer mattered. Since each respective government could print money in their own currency- they could never default.

The bill would never be paid.

Or so they thought.
not gunna quote it all

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I have it on good authority that this is a nothingburger that happens all the time, and no public money will be involved, or perhaps only a little as a bridge loan.

This is nothing, everyone is panicking for no reason.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
so Yellen was full of poo poo to say no to bailout earlier? nothing makes sense.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

bailout means save the shareholders afaict.

they were always going to make the depositors whole

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
"Any losses to the Deposit Insurance Fund to support uninsured depositors will be recovered by a special assessment on banks, as required by law."

cool. so it's gonna get passed on to us.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Yudo posted:

This banking thing seems pretty easy we should all get into it.

bank of cspam? I'll make the website

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

how's the SVB goon doing?