Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I’m really impressed by everything in the last few pages, goddamn. That trukk is shaping up really nicely too. I’m working on an Ork army and dipping my toes in little additions and conversions, since it seems almost necessary for Orks to be properly Orky. Anyway I bought the Blood Bowl snotling team cus I was super mad there isn’t a snotling model for 40k like there was when I was a kid, and I’m trying to integrate them into my army. I’ve put Ork waist ammo satchels on the backs of the little stilt guys and they look just right. I’m gonna have one of standing in a little water beneath a Deff Kopta, I think. I’ve also glued one of the pointing guys with a mushroom on top of a nob, his job is to throw the mushroom powerup in his Ork’s mouth at just the right moment

Anyway, I’m trying to decide if I want to build the pumpwagons and give them compartments filled with bits/fake squig steaks/assorted Ork nonsense or if there’s something more clever I could do with them. For reference I’ve got the pre-beast snagga combat patrol, a squad of plastic nobz, a squad of stormboyz, a squad of 2018 boyz, the Kommando killteam, and the 1994 pewter nobz/Kommandos that were MTO recently. Anyone have any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Frog Act posted:

I’m really impressed by everything in the last few pages, goddamn. That trukk is shaping up really nicely too. I’m working on an Ork army and dipping my toes in little additions and conversions, since it seems almost necessary for Orks to be properly Orky. Anyway I bought the Blood Bowl snotling team cus I was super mad there isn’t a snotling model for 40k like there was when I was a kid, and I’m trying to integrate them into my army. I’ve put Ork waist ammo satchels on the backs of the little stilt guys and they look just right. I’m gonna have one of standing in a little water beneath a Deff Kopta, I think. I’ve also glued one of the pointing guys with a mushroom on top of a nob, his job is to throw the mushroom powerup in his Ork’s mouth at just the right moment

Anyway, I’m trying to decide if I want to build the pumpwagons and give them compartments filled with bits/fake squig steaks/assorted Ork nonsense or if there’s something more clever I could do with them. For reference I’ve got the pre-beast snagga combat patrol, a squad of plastic nobz, a squad of stormboyz, a squad of 2018 boyz, the Kommando killteam, and the 1994 pewter nobz/Kommandos that were MTO recently. Anyone have any suggestions?

I love the idea of a pumpwagon tailgate party with squig steaks getting cooked, and a little Bloodbowl game being played amongst the snotlings and surrounding units/army

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Crosspost

The Demilich posted:

Did some light priming in order to get some uniform coloring on the models and then banged out smoke for the trukk in about 10 minutes with some cotton and wood glue. I forgot how I made the smoke for my termite drills (which look immensely better than this), so I'm going to have to figure out how I did the older models methods for any future smoke project.

Ork Trukk

Iron Warriors Sturmtiger/Malcador kitbash tank

This thing is loving huge

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

:allears:

edit: moved my little ork rant better suited for the 40k thread.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 11, 2024

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

The best way to cater to the Orks would be rules for looted vehicles and then some orky gubbins pack. That way every vehicle is an ork vehicle

Kiavahr
Oct 17, 2013

Outrageous Lumpwad
Reissue gorkamorka cowards

e: I'll have something for this thread eventually and it'll be for cruising the skid that's for drat sure

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
More of scratch sculpting than anything else, but I made a bunch of weird Chaos Hounds.

Left to right, front to back: Chompers, Cuddles, Splug, Dare, Spot, and Slurps.

Still need some cleanup, but they came out nice and I’m considering trying to get them produced once I have about 15 or so made.

Full album here with angles and closeups on some of them.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

The Demilich posted:

I love the idea of a pumpwagon tailgate party with squig steaks getting cooked, and a little Bloodbowl game being played amongst the snotlings and surrounding units/army

That’s a fantastic idea, I’m not quite confident enough to make big changes to the guys carrying balls and stuff so that sounds perfect- gonna stick some guns and bits and make them a bit 40k and then try to be really ambitious with some sculpey squig steaks and a snotling doing some grilling. Thanks!

LurchinTard
Aug 25, 2022

I need to hear more on your sturmtiger/malcador conversion here- what parts did you use, whats the base, etc. I'm making a malcador vanquisher out of an M41 Bulldog right now and I love to see other historical models turned into 40k fuel

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Maaannn I really want to buy a box of Hexbanes hunters to make even more Inquisitorial kitbashes but I feel bad about flinging out all the cards and stuff

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Shoehead posted:

Maaannn I really want to buy a box of Hexbanes hunters to make even more Inquisitorial kitbashes but I feel bad about flinging out all the cards and stuff

In a similar boat. I'd like to start an inquisition kill team eventually, and I think I can get the interrogator, pistolier, servitor (if I can figure out how to do a plasma cannon for mortals), and something else out of them - but it's a lot to throw away, and also $8-10 a model is a bit steep right now for me.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

LurchinTard posted:

I need to hear more on your sturmtiger/malcador conversion here- what parts did you use, whats the base, etc. I'm making a malcador vanquisher out of an M41 Bulldog right now and I love to see other historical models turned into 40k fuel

So I bought the sturmtiger from my LGS used for $8 already built. I'll list the modifications in bullet points so it's easier to read.

• I found some free Malcador treads & dozer blade online and printed them on my FDM printer.
  • Also printed a free Iron Warriors badge I found online, it was so thin that it broke in half, but that didn't really matter in the end.
  • Since the original treads were flush with the body I didn't remove them, instead I just slapped the new treads onto the sides with some air dry clay to fill the gaps. Honestly it was not a great idea as the clay ended up being brittle. I fixed this by flooding the area with wood glue lol
  • I had the missile launcher sitting around so I strapped that to the top.
  • Added Tamiya sandbags to add some density and visual complexity.
  • Added a Tamiya rolled up curtain to the front to eat up some of the empty space below the main weapon.
  • Added Tamiya barrel held up by chains in the rear to add some extra details.
  • Debris like rocks in the crevices of the body were added to cover some minor visual gaps; I explain it away as the result of debris from explosions raining down on it.
  • My first batch of Iron Warriors have chains on them, so I added jewelry chains to the body as a shared visual element. I used similar sizes jewelry rings to attach the chains to the body of the tank.
  • I added barbed wire in a few places, again to eat up visual space.
  • The sponsons guns are just layered plasticard tubes, unfortunately I did not drill any holes for the barrel shroud because I didn't trust myself to make it uniform at that point in the build. I'm fine with the holes being janky on my Ork stuff, but not so much for my Iron Warriors.
  • Likewise I added debris to the top of the sponsons like sandbags, barbed wire, and rocks/dirt to show its been in the battlefield, sometimes just sitting there during its massive main gun firing sequence letting the environment pile up on it.
  • I added some butt flaps in the back to cover up the original treads.
  • I was going to add a rhino door with the Legion insignia but there was literally no room. Instead I decided to keep the original tiny entry points in the hull and just explained it away as the tank being crewed by servitors who are wired into the tank itself, hence no need for marine sized doors
  • The base is actually 4x square bases glued together. Each base is 3"x4", and they were glued all together to create an 8"x6" base by using some flat plasticard on the topside of it cut to fit over the gapped portions where the bases touch (since all gw bases have that angle on the rim). I filled in the little beveled edges with sprue glue, and after that dried I added sprue glue to the bottom of the bases as well where appropriate to reinforce it.

I still think something can be added to the top, also to the back, but sometimes you just have to say a project is done in order to not drag it out

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
I never loved the standard Soulblight Gravelords Necromancer model. For the free miniature of the month I got a Cities of Sigmar Freeguild Steelhelm Battle Priest. With some bits and some skulls from the Citadel skulls pack, I think he makes a decent Necromancer now.

Right arm is a Deathrattle Skeleton spear arm (I wanted him to have one skeletal arm from some sort of magical mishap), with the spear head swapped for the Battle Priest's anvil totem, with a larger skull from the skull pack on top. Left arm is the Battle Priest arm that had been holding the totem, with the wrist rotated, holding skulls on a chain left over from the Terrorgheist/Zombie Dragon kit. Head is a cool horned cyclops sort of skull from the skull pack as a helmet, on top of the lower jaw of a Deadwalker Zombie head. Ragged cape bit on the back is from Deathrattle Skeleton as well.

I'm not 100% sure about the choice of skull for the helmet. Might go with a slightly bigger double-horned one.

Muir fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 13, 2024

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Shoehead posted:

the solution to this is to take up warhammer underworlds, which is good as hell

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

nostrata posted:

The best way to cater to the Orks would be rules for looted vehicles and then some orky gubbins pack. That way every vehicle is an ork vehicle

Looted vehicles aren't a thing any more?

Goddamn what the gently caress gw that's the best part of building an ork army

I haven't played 40k since 4th edition

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Silhouette posted:

Looted vehicles aren't a thing any more?

Goddamn what the gently caress gw that's the best part of building an ork army

I haven't played 40k since 4th edition

Modern GW is about balance for tournaments, which means they've stripped out a lot of the fun flavorful unit choices in favor of a streamlined list that's easier to manage. However you can still do "counts-as" for fun conversations so long as things are relatively the same size and armament as the model you're replacing.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Cease to Hope posted:

the solution to this is to take up warhammer underworlds, which is good as hell

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Two Beans posted:

Modern GW is about balance for tournaments, which means they've stripped out a lot of the fun flavorful unit choices in favor of a streamlined list that's easier to manage. However you can still do "counts-as" for fun conversations so long as things are relatively the same size and armament as the model you're replacing.

Plus I think the ork list has expanded to the point a suitable counterpart can be found for any given vehicle they could conceivably nab, plus plus under current rules and datasheet format you cant account for lowered Ork ranged accuracy.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Muir posted:

I never loved the standard Soulblight Gravelords Necromancer model. For the free miniature of the month I got a Cities of Sigmar Freeguild Steelhelm Battle Priest. With some bits and some skulls from the Citadel skulls pack, I think he makes a decent Necromancer now.

Right arm is a Deathrattle Skeleton spear arm (I wanted him to have one skeletal arm from some sort of magical mishap), with the spear head swapped for the Battle Priest's anvil totem, with a larger skull from the skull pack on top. Left arm is the Battle Priest arm that had been holding the totem, with the wrist rotated, holding skulls on a chain left over from the Terrorgheist/Zombie Dragon kit. Head is a cool horned cyclops sort of skull from the skull pack as a helmet, on top of the lower jaw of a Deadwalker Zombie head. Ragged cape bit on the back is from Deathrattle Skeleton as well.

I'm not 100% sure about the choice of skull for the helmet. Might go with a slightly bigger double-horned one.

Decided to swap the mask skull after all, and I'm happy with the choice. Also added chains around the big skull on the totem so that it doesn't just look glued on, per some great advice I got on my last kitbash.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Plus I think the ork list has expanded to the point a suitable counterpart can be found for any given vehicle they could conceivably nab, plus plus under current rules and datasheet format you cant account for lowered Ork ranged accuracy.
Yeah, I think the Battlewagon would cover most 'tank' sized things if you just pretend it doesn't have transport capacity.

Muir posted:

Decided to swap the mask skull after all, and I'm happy with the choice. Also added chains around the big skull on the totem so that it doesn't just look glued on, per some great advice I got on my last kitbash.

The overall silhouette is much more balanced now so good call.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mercurius posted:

Yeah, I think the Battlewagon would cover most 'tank' sized things if you just pretend it doesn't have transport capacity.

You could even just have the Boyz just ride on the back of the looted vehicle Gorkamorka style. Safety's for grots!

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Still fitting everything together, but the latest (and last?) in my Alpha Legion character kitbash series, the Harrowmaster.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Still fitting everything together, but the latest (and last?) in my Alpha Legion character kitbash series, the Harrowmaster.

Sick! Is the body from HH? Also interested in his hand-head, from a SCE?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Yep, the base is the HH Axe Praetor, and his helmet is a SCE Vanguard Hunter.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Yep, the base is the HH Axe Praetor, and his helmet is a SCE Vanguard Hunter.
Cool choice to represent a senior loyalist trophy. Did you have a specific chapter in mind or was it just a helmet you liked the look of?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

It's actually supposed to be his helmet! I liked the Autilon Skorr model a lot, so this is kind of an in-chapter homage (baton, ornate Renaissance-y helmet). That'll probably be a little clearer when it's all painted in XXth colors.

LurchinTard
Aug 25, 2022

The Demilich posted:

So I bought the sturmtiger from my LGS used for $8 already built. I'll list the modifications in bullet points so it's easier to read.

I still think something can be added to the top, also to the back, but sometimes you just have to say a project is done in order to not drag it out

Wow! was it a 1/35th scale or Bolt Action size(1/56 I believe)
thank you for the list of modifications, this was really cool to read through. I had never considered using 3d printed treads, that might be a game changer.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

LurchinTard posted:

Wow! was it a 1/35th scale or Bolt Action size(1/56 I believe)
thank you for the list of modifications, this was really cool to read through. I had never considered using 3d printed treads, that might be a game changer.

As far as I'm aware it's the Tamiya Sturmtiger 1/35th.
And yeah, it's at much more cost effective using the 3D printed parts than finding extra model bits, specifically in this instance because I forgot to mention that I had to drastically scale up the treads to fit the length of the tank as well.

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
I love a kitbash thread!

Anyhow I've done a few conversions over time, but it happened that 'chop shop' is one of this month's painting Oath's prompts (via a roll of a 20 sided die) so I'm attempting a new kitbash for this month.

About a year ago I had modified this dragon figure to make the wings and tail posable, by cutting off the wings and tail, and green-stuff molding on magnets to hold the wings and tail on, with the benefit that they could be placed in any position so this one fig now has a lot of options in terms of display:

This month I'm doing something similar with a bigger chimera figure (but just the wings for the moment):

With this guy, the wings are too big to hold in place just via the magnets, so I had to add extra green stuff spurs where the magnets connect. This still leaves two or three good posing options per wing.

Anyhow fun taking these static minis and making them a bit more dynamic, though the magnets can be just a bit tricky to work with.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Muir posted:

WIP paint job:

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
i love where you decided to go with that

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Anyone have any tips for making the Horus Heresy MKVI and MKIII marines more proportioned like Primaris marines? Preferably a method that doesn't include just making them stand on a taller base?

From what I can tell the shins aren't as equally long as the thighs, and the torso is too squat.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Starting on my Hearthkyn Salvagers, which I don't want to do too much extra work on, because the extras you get are the whole reason I bought em, wanna paint a test model with a different colour scheme and well.. I really don't like the gun across the torso look, it hides so much detail.

So yeah smash cut to this guy.

There's no left hand options for pistols so I knicked and pinned a hand off one of his Squat cousins. And well those hands are like... maybe 5% bigger than regular Kin's so I ended up pinning another to his other wrist to balance him out. Gonna tweak the angle of the wrists slightly and greenstuff the gaps tomorrow but I think he looks cool!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Me: " I should convert this test model because I don't want it to be too boring and then I can get to building and painting the whole Killteam"

Me later: "huh well you know there's another generic warrior and the Theyn who aren't unique to this squad either..."

Ok he's not really a kitbash but if you put that arm on this body they look like they're casually on his way to gently caress your poo poo up.

I figured that poverglove piece would fit on both the Hearthkyn and the heavier suits they were made for and well.. I wasn't 100% correct, it needed some cutting but it looks cool

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Seems like all those work really well, little fella looks like a proper first party assemblage

Anyway, I'm still slowly learning how to do very basic kitbashes and combinations while I work on my first army as an adult who actually cares about quality. I built one of my Deff Koptas and decided it needed a little pizzazz, so I drilled a hole in the base, ordered some plasticard + pipettes, and I'm going to make it into a proper puddle. I've tested that method out with water effects on other bases and it seems to work if the water is very carefully layered, so I'm hoping I can achieve a good puddle effect. Anyway, the kitbash component is Blood Bowl Snotlings, one of whom I glued a basic Ork hip ammo pack to (works perfectly as a backpack) and the other I didn't alter at all. I'm hoping I can make it feel like there's a goofy little chase going on where Stilts Snotling is pursuing Squig Ball Snotling for his little mushroom while the Kopta Zooms overhead. I want to paint "Squig Alley" on the sign, ideally I'd have the word "Squig" crossed out and hastily replaced with "Snotling" but I don't think I can freehand effectively enough to do that

anyone have any suggestions? I've got a lot of Ork bits and plan to use the vallejo mud texture paint stuff + some carefully used undergrowth and maybe a little bit of flocking on rocks to try to make it look decently natural

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Anyone have a good source for ruined cathedral bases for some Sisters of Battle? I'd rather not make my own if I can find some decent ones in the right sizes for a combat patrol.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Super Waffle posted:

Anyone have a good source for ruined cathedral bases for some Sisters of Battle? I'd rather not make my own if I can find some decent ones in the right sizes for a combat patrol.

Some modeling clay or epoxy and textured rollers have been my go-to for that sort of thing. GSW has a lot of options, I'm not sure if anyone less problematic has a similar product.

Templar Abbey: https://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/modelling-textured-rolling-pins/1762-rolling-pin-templar-abbey.html
Temple: https://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/modelling-textured-rolling-pins/365-rolling-pin-hobby-roller-temple.html

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Shoehead posted:

Ok he's not really a kitbash but if you put that arm on this body they look like they're casually on his way to gently caress your poo poo up.

This is incredible. Swapping parts around within the same kit that aren't strictly by the assembly instructions is a really fun way to build a kit- it's what I've been doing with my Fellgors and I had a blast.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

GW switching to troop builder kits with assembly instructions still blows my mind, because the last time I was stuck in the gw hole everything was just a frame of parts and the instructions basically said "gently caress me up fam"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I didn't know they had switched when I got back into 40k and immediately hosed up a model over it. I had half a spruein sub assembly at the time too so I ended up spending a day reverse engineering what numbers my bodies were so I could give them the proper arms. A far cry from those old 3rd ed SM tactical squad sprues (which are actually even better now??)