Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Welcome to the Kitbashin' & Unpainted Minis Thread! Here's where you show off kitbashes and other unpainted miniatures you haven't gotten to yet but are PRETTY DANG PROUD OF.

Show off your unpainted dudes (and bring them back when they're painted as a wacky ol' callback!), tell us of their morally ambiguous grey adventures, and take pride in what you've done as a foreward to what you're going to do. A world of possibilities in unpainted 28mm!

To kick us off, I've got four big galleries of unpainted plastic that I loved to do a big kitbash of. Behold!

Corpse Grinder Cults for Necromunda

Darkoath Savagers to make some Bloodreavers because GW doesn't sell those as much any more

Blooded for Kill Team (I ended up using them in Grimdark Future Firefight instead)

Squad of 10 Chaos Chosen w/ Mark of Khorne for an AoS Escalation League I'm doin' in February

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

gently caress yes! Conversions thread!

To keep us going here are some of my Vostroyans, nothing too new here, I've posted almost all before. Most of these are in some state of being painted, sorry!

First off we've got my latest, a WIP of my Lord Solar conversion, based off a Cities of Sigmar Cavalier. Added a power sword, and sculpted gloves and a hat. Very simple.

Next up is a classic, converting a flamer into a meltagunner. Painted a while ago, I need to push the highlights more and then reshoot.

My Bombast has got to be my most involved conversion since picking 40k up again last year. The officer directing the gun is also itself a major conversion, adding the jacket and sculpting a fastener and hand. The loader is a minor conversion, sculpting a shell over the mortar round he normally holds. A tiny detail I'm very proud of: I filled in the barrel and rebored it to match the ammunition. It drove me insane how much smaller the shell was than the bore.

The aforementioned officer before he was based.

Lastly, my Basilisk, which features a 1:35 Tamiya Flak 38. It fit perfectly onto the Chimera base, almost as if it had been designed that way, too easy. I feel guilty calling it a conversion, I just cemented the gun down and called it a day. I need to go back in and dial down a bit of the weathering. I also put some wider treads onto it, I just prefer how they look.

What is next?

This just arrived by post yesterday. I needed more artillery... It will become an earthshaker or medusa carriage battery.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

I always like the Vostroyans, mostly because they have/had a metal commander unit guy with a Fargo hat.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I personally love those Vostroyans, but my Imperial Guard army definitely would not:

This one I am especially proud of; the soviets did their best to disguise their flamethrowers to look like regular rifles and backpacks, at least from a distance, so they wouldn't be sniped. So I had to do the same:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
This thread is gonna go places. What do you folks use for freehand sculpting/custom molded parts? Is a good quality air drying clay fine, or do you have to go expensive and get some 2 part putty epoxy like green stuff?

I'm doing a diy terrasque and Draco lich from Dollar store bits and bobs mostly, so need something to smooth transitions that is workable but not completely soft like silicone caulking

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love
Those corpse grinders are fun. I just ordered some assorted sprues off of eBay to mush up into some turnip28 guys so I'll post them in here once I get to work on em.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Oh hey, been hoping for a thread like this for a while. My 30k stuff is on hiatus, but I do have a handful of WIPs and finished conversions done.

Painted ones first:

My Siege Breaker, and one of my first two HQs. Very much like this guy even if his loadout is bad for tabletop. Probably my best HQ right now.

Esoterist, second of the first two. Less happy with him (should have turned the head more) but it was a hard base model to work with and I'm satisfied with what I got out of him.

Unpainted WIPs:

The last model I put together, my Warsmith. Still needs greenstuff work for the Cataphractii shoulder decorations (probably doing chainmail instead of pteruges), but I got the parts for him the same week I decided on going on hiatus entirely, so I didn't quite get that far. He technically doesn't need them, just think it would look nicer.

Company banner bearer that I'm unhappy with every time I look at her, because Tortuga proportions don't combine well with "realistic" head sizes at all. Ah well. Rest of the team is varying levels of similarly bad, and half of them are unfinished.

"Armistos" that will probably never see the 30k tabletop due to a) the primaris parts that went into him, b) the fact he's loving huge (yes, he's stepping up, but he's taller by at least a head than even my terminators) and hence doesn't fit. First time working with milliput, the resculpted leg armor didn't work but I was able to clean that off and save the plastic underneath. Like the siege breaker, terrible loadout for tabletop but good for aesthetic.

One of my three rapier mortars, plus crew (minus shoulder pads because I ran out). The mounting is a bit flimsy but I wasn't sure how to fix it in a way that would look remotely right. They have bases, including for the mortar; just didn't have them in this shot.

Mockup for my allied Blood Angels Dawnbreakers, using 3D printed bodies and a bunch of other parts for the rest. Also missing shoulder pads because I ran out. I really hope these guys survive storage, the spears are fragile and I have a feeling they'll get bent.

Rounding us off, a Mad Dog from Battletech the tall boxnaught that I've been waiting since ~2016 to have all the parts for. Now I have everything except the leg armor, and no idea what to use for it (not very good with plasticard).

I'm not especially skilled at kitbashing, I just like various ideas and want to make them work. Unfortunately everything is going in indefinite storage; on the plus side, it'll all still be there when I'm in a better life situation and can come back to it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I gotta take some pics for this thread later. Gotta get a lightbox one day too. And get better at painting

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
In my day we called these conversions

A Space Knight

A Genestealer Sanctus

A Squat with a shoulder mounted launcher

A Genestealer Locus

:clint:

I only have a painted version of this guy

His apprentice

I really like kitbashing... Some times I even paint then after!!

I still haven't had a load of luck using liquid greenstuff?

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 9, 2024

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've got some old conversions and kitbashes I can pull photos up for.

This one I'd call a mixed success:

The old bone giant was super goofy with a really bad skull that looks like a gorilla

(not my pic)
so I used the spare head from the necrosphynx kit and also straigtened the legs. I think the rear leg is too straight though, it looks unnatural. The paint job is also meh, I was doing this thing with sort of jade/marble green for parts of some models but when you just see this one on its own it doesn't go well. Might re-do that bit someday.

This guy I lost his arm and so I used the banner arm from another model plus my first experiment with green stuff.

The sculpting looked OK at this stage, but then I put paint on and well

Looks alright from a distance

Not that great close-up. The biggest problem is those little papery things on the plastic arm just didn't work as part of the sculpting, I should have clipped them off or something. But also the proportions are a little off, the dangling robe parts look like tentacles and are too thick. Oh well, tabletop-quality is still a kind of quality!

naturally I found the missing arm like a month later lol

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 9, 2024

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I would love to kitbash one day. For now I will lurk and observe this bookmarked thread.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
drat, I literally just finished painting my kitbashed chaos lord, hope it's still okay to post the Before pictures!

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Super Waffle posted:

drat, I literally just finished painting my kitbashed chaos lord, hope it's still okay to post the Before pictures!

Post whatever you want in this thread, it is a free space for your hosed up lil guys

Davedave24 posted:

Those corpse grinders are fun. I just ordered some assorted sprues off of eBay to mush up into some turnip28 guys so I'll post them in here once I get to work on em.

Hey thanks! I've been thinking of looking at some non-GW sprues to make into scary guys of various kinds. Would love if there were more post apoc/cyberpunk+anime influenced games like Infinity that could be kitbashed.

Are infinity models on sprues or are they all pre-packaged monopose like the resins and metals of old?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Since moving to 3d printing most of my kitbashing has been done before the model is physical, but these Turnip28 guys got the old school milliput treatment last year.

It's a great game for smashing poo poo together.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Oh I'm so happy for this. I don't really do Warhammer conversions (yet), but cutting minis apart and putting them back together is one of my favorite things to do and see, and I also never get around to painting a lot of them.

For instance, these are from 5 years ago:

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Parasol Prophet posted:

Oh I'm so happy for this. I don't really do Warhammer conversions (yet), but cutting minis apart and putting them back together is one of my favorite things to do and see, and I also never get around to painting a lot of them.

For instance, these are from 5 years ago:

Cool False Maria head, where'd that come from? That bear also rules!

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Reaper's Marie, She-Bot?

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
It was Bombshell Miniatures' M4R1A Bot. I think the one they have now is actually a new version, I can't find the metal one anywhere.

I actually did just make something out of the Reaper version, though. And I have a couple more of those sitting around for parts. I just love False Marias!

Also thanks, I am still pretty proud of the bear even though I don't know where to begin with painting it.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Multiple competing False Marias, amazing! What a time to be alive. I might have to get one and make it a servitor or something fun.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
This is definitely my favourite part of the hobby. Its always fun to see other people's conversions. Sometimes I do it because I hate the original model. Othertimes I just have a fun idea and roll with it. Here are some of the photos I have to hand, my minis are in storage currently because Im moving house.

Archon. I like the way I kept the movement in the figure all in the same direction. I hated the base Archon and felt a lot of the Visarch conversions didn't do enough to make it Dark Eldar.

Lord of Virulence. Again, I really hated the base model which is frustrating because the entire Death Guard line is ace otherwise. Im happy with what I came up with.

Genestealer Sanctus. I like that the assassin is a little bit more alien. It feels like it fits.

It kind of bothered me that Skragrott was really tall. So here we are. Ive since finished the greenstuff work so it isnt so rough under the cloak but I dont have a more recent photo.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Next up on the desk for my army is a 5 man Chosen squad. Man what a pain it was to figure out who gets what weapons! Here is my Champion, equiped with Accursed Weapon, plasma pistol, bolt gun, and Chaos Icon:

Currently just mocked up with blue tac. Head and shoulder pad are from VBits Studio, mechanical arm from Iron Father Ferrios. Third arm is going to need some green stuff tentacles to tie the bolter in, but that'll have to be for later as I gotta get these guy built and ready for my first game on Saturday! :buddy:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Miles O'Brian posted:

It kind of bothered me that Skragrott was really tall. So here we are. Ive since finished the greenstuff work so it isnt so rough under the cloak but I dont have a more recent photo.

absolutely outstanding. When this is done you need to crosspost it to the goblin thread

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Seconding the crosspost.

Also I did not stop to conceive when I created this thread that I'd be driven to sorrow by people's outstanding greenstuff skills.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

sasha_d3ath posted:

Seconding the crosspost.

Also I did not stop to conceive when I created this thread that I'd be driven to sorrow by people's outstanding greenstuff skills.

You know what you have to do now. Break out your sculpting tools!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Actually I went and took better pics

Plus my next two Squats

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 12, 2024

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Someone talk to me about green stuff: I am just about capable of using it for simple work like filling in gaps but anything more than that ends up blobby and disappointing. And here are you assholes all posting beautifully sculpted details and making me feel bad.

Is there some sort of recommended guide I can bury myself in for a bit? Do I need to go and buy dedicated sculpting tools to get results? Is it just practice practice practice?

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Someone talk to me about green stuff: I am just about capable of using it for simple work like filling in gaps but anything more than that ends up blobby and disappointing. And here are you assholes all posting beautifully sculpted details and making me feel bad.

Is there some sort of recommended guide I can bury myself in for a bit? Do I need to go and buy dedicated sculpting tools to get results? Is it just practice practice practice?

this guy has a good set of beginner tutorials, though I don't think you need more than water to lubricate your tools, personally

and 'proper' tools do help, but that said:

a good chunk of mine are nails or wire attached to broken brush handles and worked to the desired shape, and nearly everyone does something like this. most of it is just getting used to how you need to handle the material, what you use to do it is more often a matter of what feels right than outright necessity

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
A lot of it was practice for me, also figuring out when to (a) start working with it and (b) stop working with it. A lot of times you want to give it some time (15-30 minutes) to firm up and stop sticking to everything before you start sculpting.

Also for me, there's always a point where I've done all I can with the current blob and I just have to set it aside instead of continuing to mess with it, because if I keep messing with it I'll just ruin what I already have. Convincing myself to just put things down and come back with fresh eyes instead of going "No, it still looks like poo poo, I have to save it" was actually huge for me.

And my big greenstuff secret is making molds with it. Either with greenstuff itself or silicone putty-- if using greenstuff, coat it with something so that it doesn't stick to the object, (I use a thing of chapstick which is only for this purpose and doesn't go anywhere near my face), glom a blob on, then after it's cured you can carefully peel it back and use that as a mold. That's more or less how I made the trim on the skirt I posted earlier, and some parts of the bear as well. I do it for faces and hair a lot because I can't sculpt those and it's easier to work with than trying to slice tiny details off of a different mini.

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love
So while I wait on the parts to arrive I guess I'll talk about my Turnip plans.

This Perry Civil War sprue has 12 pairs of arms which is just enough for a unit of Fodder, so those will go on the bodies from the Perry Medieval Mercenaries, and the 4 Arquebuses from there will go back onto the Civil War bodies to make a unit of Chaff.

I saw these dwarves riding goats that looked very fun to make a unit of Bastards. I want to mutate up their mounts and work on my greenstuff sculpting, so I did some drawing over the model to figure out what kind of hybrid beastie modifications I could make -

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
What is Turnip28? I keep seeing it around

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Improbable Lobster posted:

What is Turnip28? I keep seeing it around

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/turnip28/turnip28-the-forlorn-hope

It's fuckin awesome is what it is. At least aesthetically

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Mederlock posted:

Yeah, I'll be honest, that didn't really explain anything besides "is a fantasy(?) wargame"

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yeah, I'll be honest, that didn't really explain anything besides "is a fantasy(?) wargame"

Yeah, it's a fantasy wargame in a setting with vegetable people. That's the deal? Like I'm really not sure what exactly you're asking about it.

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love
It's napoleonic-ish battles in a world destroyed by the Root that's choked out all other life, and everybody left is a weird vegetable-fixated mutant squabbling in the mud.

You've got a bunch of standard units like Fodder (light infantry), Brutes (heavy infantry), Chaff (ranged skirmishers), Whelps (light cavalry) and Bastards (heavy cavalry). A battle usually has 2-3 commanders and 3-4 units per side I believe.

The more interesting stuff is in the Cults you can choose, they give a special unit and some extra rules usually. One cult had you deploying gardeners to try and grow crops on the battlefield that you can eat for buffs, or another (that I am definitely going to build) is the Aunts Ascendant, their special unit is a hot air balloon with two old ladies in it who give you tactical advantages from their vantage point and also can drop bricks on people.

My goal for now is to try and get two small standard forces made so I can teach the game to people.

Davedave24 fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 16, 2024

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Mederlock posted:

Unfortunately that is what I have heard about it too. Like many games made now, the aesthetic is fantastic, but the game is almost an after thought. The rule book is artistic and fun to just look at, but the mechanics and game play are middling at best.

A friend that reviews games said it is a game of turnips and D6s. I was all in on Turnip28 for a while. A game that has such a weird aesthetic and doesn't require you to buy their models? Neat! But then you watch game play and it is not inspiring.

Don't get me wrong, love what you love, play what you want to play, but Forbidden Psalm, Five Parsecs from home, Idols of Torment, Turnip28, Sludge, and many more games sell you on the look and the world they have written while the mechanics range from ok to not good. (And for the record most GW games fit this mold as well.)

On a minis note, many of these games do inspire creativity in modelling and kitbashing. So they have that going for them.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Baby steps. I'm now confident in scratch sculpting minis, but I started with adding small bits to existing minis, especially armour and clothing. Then I started making things like arms, which made me learn about the need of armatures. After that, I made some (bad) scratch sculpts, and then moved on to decent ones. I thinking jumping directly into the deep end of scratch sculpting entire minis can be discouraging. I did a few dozen converted Wargames Atlantic halflings before I got more confident:

https://krigetkommer.weebly.com/renaissance-armies/sculpting-italian-wars-halflings

Practice is the biggest part. I used Tom Masons youtube tutorials mostly when I needed to get my head around the basics:

https://www.youtube.com/user/AvatarSCA

Sculpting the plate mail on top of the halflings was a really good way to practice making somewhat smooth textures in green stuff.

Another tip is to not just use green stuff. Mixing it with other putties is often easier, such as milliput, magic sculpt, apoxie etc. You typically get positive traits of both putties when you mix them, i.e if you want something you can file after it cures but isn't as brittle and grainy as milliput, mixing it with greenstuff will give you a more flexible and sticky putty than pure milliput that can still be filed and cut easily unlike green stuff. I mostly use a mix of like, 70-90% GS and the rest apoxie or magic sculpt, depending on what I'm sculpting.

It also helps a lot ot find a community of sculptors. There's a pretty active one on discord called Indie Miniatures Makers Collective, send a PM if you're interested in an invite. Seeing other people's WIPs, not just finished minis, helps a bit.

As for tools, every sculptor has their own favourite tools. I think the big surprise to non-sculptors is how few tools most sculptors use. Like, most people I know has 2-3 tools, max, that they do almost all their sculpting with. One of the best sculptors I know of only use a sharp pin. It's insane. I have one dentist tool and one hard silicon tool that I use for the majority of my sculpting. Sometime it helps to have additional shapes for specific stuff, but those sets of 10+ dentist tools that are sold as sculpting tools are just marketing rubbish. You'll probably find one tool that you like better than others and then you'll stick with that. Many experienced sculptors simply take a small nail, grind/file/twist it to a shape they like, and attach it to a handle and use that as it's 100% the shape they prefer.

E: as for turnip28, yeah it's totally an aestethic and the game was more of an afterthought. Just use a more interesting ruleset as an excuse for kitbashing. I'd look at things like One Page Rules or a napoleonic skirmish game like Sharp Practice, Silver Bayonet or Drums & Shakos and then just sprinkle some house rules on it.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jan 16, 2024

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Indolent Bastard posted:

Unfortunately that is what I have heard about it too. Like many games made now, the aesthetic is fantastic, but the game is almost an after thought. The rule book is artistic and fun to just look at, but the mechanics and game play are middling at best.

A friend that reviews games said it is a game of turnips and D6s. I was all in on Turnip28 for a while. A game that has such a weird aesthetic and doesn't require you to buy their models? Neat! But then you watch game play and it is not inspiring.

Don't get me wrong, love what you love, play what you want to play, but Forbidden Psalm, Five Parsecs from home, Idols of Torment, Turnip28, Sludge, and many more games sell you on the look and the world they have written while the mechanics range from ok to not good. (And for the record most GW games fit this mold as well.)

On a minis note, many of these games do inspire creativity in modelling and kitbashing. So they have that going for them.

Yeah, Iron Harvest is like that too, WW1 with Robots sounds crazy but I never found the Scythe board game all that compelling.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I didnt like scythe. Felt overcomplicated and not enough war happening

grobbo
May 29, 2014
This thread is a great idea, because I adore kitbashing but am not a good painter, so I always end up with a disappointing final result that I don't want to share.

This is the finished model I'm most happy with - an attempt at a Blanchitsu procession of weirdos using mostly bits I already had (plaguebearer torso, half a AoS wraith, an old buggy chassis, and everyone's favourite conversion fodder, Flagellants).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I built some marines for a space marine desolation squad by putting some horus heresy missile launchers on primaris bodies. I think I'm going to reorient the servoskull on the sergeant to be facing forward. Looking forward to finishing 5 more and getting em painted.