Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Wafflecopper posted:

Is there any way to get more development points once you've hit max town size?

No, at least not at the moment. I could maybe see them adding something later if you hit challenging benchmarks (like a certain population level maybe?). I like how it is at the moment though, to be honest. It requires being intentional about how you want to pick your tech points and incentivizes specializing and establishing in towns in new regions to specialize in something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Jamwad Hilder posted:

No, at least not at the moment. I could maybe see them adding something later if you hit challenging benchmarks (like a certain population level maybe?). I like how it is at the moment though, to be honest. It requires being intentional about how you want to pick your tech points and incentivizes specializing and establishing in towns in new regions to specialize in something else.

Yeah I get that. It's just that that requires knowing what you're doing and planning ahead, which I very much did not when I started. Now I just want to gain or respec one point but welp

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Koryk posted:

Anyone run apiaries for food production? Can I just stuff 4 families in there to quadruple how much they make? Do they stop producing in winter?

Apiaries are surprisingly good, I think they produce year round and they go at a good clip. Having that extra, reliable diversity in your food supply is pretty handy. I don't think wax does anything yet so that second point is not worth it.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I just bought the apple orchard perk for the first time, but how do I use it? There's no new option under construction or anything in the forester's hut or field planting options to start planting an orchard. This game makes me feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Edit: Oh it's a backyard thing. :doh:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

XYZAB posted:

I just bought the apple orchard perk for the first time, but how do I use it? There's no new option under construction or anything in the forester's hut or field planting options to start planting an orchard. This game makes me feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

They’re housing (burgage) addons - click on a house with enough space for an addition and you can add it. They’re 50 gold or whatever to build. I’m not sure how much the size of the plot matters for orchards compared to like chicken coops or vegetable gardens.

Gadzuko posted:

Apiaries are surprisingly good, I think they produce year round and they go at a good clip. Having that extra, reliable diversity in your food supply is pretty handy. I don't think wax does anything yet so that second point is not worth it.

I thought you could do candles with wax, or is that not actually in yet?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Not at a computer but I think while wax is in the game, candles might not be. I haven't bothered researching it even if I get apiaries. I can't think of a benefit to candles in the current state of the game, even if they do exist, other than as maybe something to sell. Maybe at a future point you'll need more than just fuel to keep people happy, but that doesn't seem to be the case right now.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Anyone figure out how to get sheep to move to places? Trying them for the first time and they just refuse to ever go to sheep farm from the Livestock trader pen.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Anyone figure out how to get sheep to move to places? Trying them for the first time and they just refuse to ever go to sheep farm from the Livestock trader pen.

Do you have pasture for them at the sheep farm?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Anyone understand how claiming the Baron's territory works? I pressed a claim on one region, he disputed and I got the war overview which said I was losing. When I moved my troops over the border it flipped to winning. His troops showed up, a battleground was designated between us, we fought and I won. The region flipped to me. Seemed straightforward enough. I rested my troops up then claimed the next region. Again I got the war overview which said I was losing. Moved my troops in, but this time it's not flipping to winning. I've roamed all over the region and can't see any more of his troops. As far as I can tell no battleground has been designated. I'm still losing and the timer is ticking down and I've no idea what I'm meant to do.

e: Never mind, I found the mouseover to highlight the battlefield. First time around it seemed to pop up on its own.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Oh cool, when you attack the Baron's last territory he suddenly has three times the troop count he did for every other battle

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

TeaJay posted:

Do you have pasture for them at the sheep farm?

I have a farm and both the trader and farm are being worked

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Wafflecopper posted:

Oh cool, when you attack the Baron's last territory he suddenly has three times the troop count he did for every other battle

The best thing about claiming a new territory is that you can build a new retinue there. It's worth it to just build a poo poo little town that you'll ignore after you build your keep in that area for another 22 heavy infantry.

5 or 6 retinues is a pretty crazy beefy force and should face roll the final baron battle

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Is anyone having trouble making militia in their secondary settlements? I've got all the crap I need, but when I click to make the unit nothing happen.s

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I believe the cap on total militia units is global not settlement specific, except retinue

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I believe the cap on total militia units is global not settlement specific, except retinue

Ah, so I'm just out of cap. Gotcha.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Speaking of which, is there a consensus on what line infantry are best? I feel like there must be some rock paper scissors with the unit types, but damned if I can figure it out.

Intuitively I kind of feel like it should be spears < swords < pole arms, but then I get tripped up on pole arms really being better for killing cav and those guys not having shields.

Thoughts?

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?

Ciprian Maricon posted:

If you delete and recreate your livestock trader building they'll be shuffled to the sheep herders house

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Speaking of which, is there a consensus on what line infantry are best? I feel like there must be some rock paper scissors with the unit types, but damned if I can figure it out.

Intuitively I kind of feel like it should be spears < swords < pole arms, but then I get tripped up on pole arms really being better for killing cav and those guys not having shields.

Thoughts?

It seems like with Archers being heavily nerfed for the EA release polearms are probably best right now.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Alchenar posted:

It seems like with Archers being heavily nerfed for the EA release polearms are probably best right now.

Archers are still strong if you can get them behind the enemy but yeah, it feels like once you're past those initial battles where you only have one or two opponents they drop off fast.

Follow up question: does anyone know how to disband a militia? I'd like to blow out my original spearmen at the very least.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Cap seems to be four units of militia.

I beat the baron's final army despite being outnumbered by all the extra units he brings, with the army I posted earlier in the thread. Two retinues, four militia units, and two mercenary archer units. Having everyone kitted out with helmets, mail armor, and plate armor for the retinues goes a really long way towards making up the difference. Retinues in plate in particular are very difficult to kill while also mulching through lighter-armored opponents. Another thing you may not realize is that you can just import plate directly in the retinue recruitment button for like 30s per guy instead of producing it yourself, although I like to produce it because the extra armor you're making sells for a ton at the trade post and is a good source of revenue.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Thoughts?

I prefer swords (not really from a rock-paper-scissors stand point) because they're cheaper to produce early on so you can pump out more militia units faster, IMO. Large shields and spears take more planks (1 for spears, 2 for large shields), which can be rough in the early game some times, whereas small shields only require one plank. Same amount of metal for the weapons. I generally don't bother re-outfitting any units to be spears later on but maybe I'll try that some time. Spearmen having the stance to that lets them do more damage when they are stationary and receiving a charge is very handy early on against the brigand camps.

Alchenar posted:

Archers can be good with more micro and some investment. Your standard archers need to be protected, heavy archers (meaning archers in mail) can stand and fight in melee if they need to, although you still want to avoid that situation.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Archers are still strong if you can get them behind the enemy but yeah, it feels like once you're past those initial battles where you only have one or two opponents they drop off fast.

Follow up question: does anyone know how to disband a militia? I'd like to blow out my original spearmen at the very least.

When you select the unit, there's a cancel button next to the one to rally the militia that disbands the unit and sends their equipment back to your storehouse.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Archers can be good when shooting freely from the flanks, and they're obviously useful early on as they just require wood imputs, but as with all comparable games (ie. Total war) they suffer from not having an answer to the challenge 'what if instead I also had another line unit that could stop me being flanked if there are equal numbers but can also do huge amounts of damage from flanking?'

It all seems a bit opaque and in flux but my presumption on how it is supposed to be is that there is an obvious progression of large shield>small shield>no shield for line infantry that would indicate a tradeoff of protection for attacking power.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Cap seems to be four units of militia.

It's six + retinue

Except retinue can take up a militia spot for some reason so spam 6 militias to equip "at some time" and then build a manor in each region. Then its 6 + 7 or so retinues.

Spamming militia like that will split your people in each militia though, so make sure you have gold to hire mercs while you reequip everyone.

Burgage level also matters, your level 3 burgage guys can equip mail.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

The best thing about claiming a new territory is that you can build a new retinue there. It's worth it to just build a poo poo little town that you'll ignore after you build your keep in that area for another 22 heavy infantry.

5 or 6 retinues is a pretty crazy beefy force and should face roll the final baron battle

Yeah that’s what I ended up doing. Reloaded and one more full-sized retinue was enough to change a defeat into a very bloody victory. Went in with four full retinues, (three fully kitted out with plate, one mostly mail), one unit of militia spears, two of archers, and two mercenary archers. Two retinues got completely wiped and another was down to five men.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 1, 2024

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Hello thread friends. I am confused.

I just started playing this game and I built a farmhouse with three fields of wheat in December:
Fallow, fallow, wheat
Wheat, fallow, fallow
Fallow, wheat, fallow

At the beginning of January, I put 5 people in the farmhouse. They plowed all 3 fields. OK, maybe they are supposed to do that. Then they planted wheat in the wheat field. Looks good so far. I got a lot of "plowing by hand" and "sowing" messages for the people during this time.

We get to October. My one wheat field looks good, so I figure my guys will start harvesting it. Instead, I see them all go out in the field with the wheat and start "plowing by hand." I saved the game and went to bed and am now asking this question before I pick it up again.

Are they about to harvest my wheat and that's what "plowing by hand" means, or are they just about to plow up and destroy an entire field of wheat because it's now October and they no longer see the field as anything but fallow and that means plow it up? Or did I mess up by assigning them at the wrong time or something?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

JonathonSpectre posted:

are they just about to plow up and destroy an entire field of wheat because it's now October and they no longer see the field as anything but fallow and that means plow it up?

It's this afaik

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I have a huge backlog at my bakery and it's about to literally kill me. The bakery storage is backed up and full and nobody will take the baked bread out, so the bakery family is taking bread out one-by-one to a granary instead of baking. I built an entire granary right next to the bakery, upgraded it, limited it to purely bread, put a family in there working the granary and they stand around all day "waiting" completely ignoring the baked bread. I cannot figure out how to get the bread moved out.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
The way that it works right now, you can only harvest in September. As soon as October rolls around, any unharvested crops disappear and the farmers start on the next year's cycle. It sounds like you may have just started the first cycle slightly too late since October is supposed to be the start of the cycle, if you started in December they may not have finished growing in time.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

hailthefish posted:

It's this afaik

gently caress! So is there any way I can get them to harvest it instead? And also, why are they plowing up the loving field? I planted the field in... February, March? I thought I'd harvest somewhere between September and December... when does it actually happen?

Game definitely has the best "Hey why the gently caress are you doing this highly illogical thing?" pawn vibe since Rimworld. NO HARVEST ONLY PLOW AND SOW.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The crops immediately disappearing in October only happens if the field has crop rotation enabled - it's not the planting cycle itself starting in October that causes them to despawn, it's that the crop rotation rolls over to the next crop in the rotation in October. If you disable crop rotation for that field your farmers may harvest it anyway and then start replanting it, you can just enable rotation again after the harvest. Not 100% sure this will work but I assume it would.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
When you select a field you can mark it as higher priority than the others, and your workers will then prioritize doing the work for certain fields. Just like when you are building multiple things and want them to finish building something specific before they move on to the others. So if you mark your mostly-finished field as high priority (or very high, or highest, if you want), they should do that first. There's also an option to "harvest early" (or something along those lines) when you select the field, and if you do that they'll go harvest whatever they can.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

bird food bathtub posted:

I have a huge backlog at my bakery and it's about to literally kill me. The bakery storage is backed up and full and nobody will take the baked bread out, so the bakery family is taking bread out one-by-one to a granary instead of baking. I built an entire granary right next to the bakery, upgraded it, limited it to purely bread, put a family in there working the granary and they stand around all day "waiting" completely ignoring the baked bread. I cannot figure out how to get the bread moved out.

Is it a communal bakery (trash) or a burgage plot bakery? The latter will have zero problems. The former needs a full staff, or even two bakeries, to be efficient. Logically it should be the other way around but for some reason communal bakeries really suck.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Is it a communal bakery (trash) or a burgage plot bakery? The latter will have zero problems. The former needs a full staff, or even two bakeries, to be efficient. Logically it should be the other way around but for some reason communal bakeries really suck.

It's a plot bakery, and it is definitely having this problem. I cannot get anybody else to take the bread out of this loving thing. I have an entire upgraded granary with family RIGHT loving NEXT TO THE BAKERY that I have tried leaving as default, limiting geographically, toggling to bread only, everything I can think of. Nothing. The granary family stands around doing loving nothing at all, "Waiting". Nobody will take this loving bread out of this loving bakery and the bakery family is out of storage so they're taking bread out one at a time.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

This is a total guess and probably wrong but are the bakers also assigned as stall holders at the market? They might just be topping up their market stall directly and skipping the granary. Not sure how to fix that if it is the problem. Normal buildings you could unassign the workers to make them lose their stall then reassign after the granary workers take over, but idk if it’s possible to unassign artisans. Maybe delete and remake your market?

Burns
May 10, 2008

Something is definately not functioning properly with burgage bakeries. I also cannot seem to be able to get my surplus of bread to the trader. I tried disabling production in the bakery, nothing. I dont know what to do.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I mean at this point when stuff like that is happening I'd just assume something was bugged :shrug:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I mean at this point when stuff like that is happening I'd just assume something was bugged :shrug:

idk it's a definite possibility but a lot of the mechanics of peasant behaviour are so opaque it can be hard to tell what's a bug and what's working as intended

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I have no idea how you get someone to pick up supplies on the ground from a demolished or moved building, I guess it's unassigned workers when there's nothing else to do? Also never sure why my market doesn't seem to fill up properly even when it's right next to a manned storehouse/granary. Definitely need a little more control over the supply chain stuff.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
God help you if you try to move a market or rebuild it. Supplies on the ground both block construction and are impossible to move in a decent time frame. If it's raining or snowing kiss that stuff goodbye. Definitely need more control over stuff like that. A "Do this right now, don't ignore it" button, priority management and so on.

Anyone have tips for sheep management? My breadbasket zone is usually running a series of wheat, sorry, emmer, barley and flax with three zones for each type so one is active and two are fallow. So nine fields, three active, six fallow. Sheep will only ever converge on one of them at a time to fertilize it. Is there any way to divide them up? Do they poop one field to max fertility and move on?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Having a go at brigand survival mode. Does anyone know what the number of units the brigand raid parties get is based off? My first raid, when I had one region, had one unit. Since then I've claimed two more regions and my second raid has three units. Obviously this is a meaninglessly small sample size but I'm wondering if it might be one unit of brigands per region controlled, in which case I'll want to hold off claiming more until I've built my militia and retinues up some more. But equally it might just be time, in which case I might want to grab the regions asap and start exploiting them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I have no idea how you get someone to pick up supplies on the ground from a demolished or moved building, I guess it's unassigned workers when there's nothing else to do? Also never sure why my market doesn't seem to fill up properly even when it's right next to a manned storehouse/granary. Definitely need a little more control over the supply chain stuff.

If you have workers assigned to a storehouse or granary they should be picking up and storing whatever supplies get left lying around, I think.

E) provided it's the corresponding supply type anyway. I don't think storehouse workers will move food.