Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Mozi posted:

it's cool that i can call myself an engineer without having taken any engineering classes or recieving any sort of certification or validation

UGH NOOO STOP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laminar
Dec 11, 2006

Burt Sexual posted:

That's actually best practice as risk padding gets put in down the chain in finance in my company. We ended up with pad on top of pad and lost many bids

Yeah there are people I automatically cut 20% off their cost estimates for bids now because I know they are incapable of doing it without padding the hell out of it.

You do the padding later when you figure out your margin vs risk.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

AnElegantPeacock posted:

loving a dude, I'm not help desk, I don't fix PC's. I maintain the data tubes.

Networking is just high-tech plumbing, let's be honest.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Let's get our ducks in a row by waiting for months and then dumping all the work on the engineer two weeks before Christmas when he has no capacity to take on more work. Never mind that there's 4-6 weeks worth of work to be done which will have dependencies on people who will be on holiday overseas.

Hmm, why did the engineer terminate the contract and tell me to never contact him again?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

thathonkey posted:

it's fun to troll "Real Engineers" by doing so. heh PE exam? never had to take it :smuggo:

psychokitty posted:

UGH NOOO STOP

case in point :smuggo:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Engineers drive trains

E: autism

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
me irl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAY27NU1Jog

(I'm the one with people skills)

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Could everyone please email me what they want from Firehouse by 10:30am. The sooner I get your order the sooner Darren the intern can go out and get them.

Sex Falcon
Jun 4, 2013

:parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Let's take this offline

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Sex Falcon posted:

Let's take this offline

Sorry, I don't have any bandwidth for that.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Good work guys. The Execs say were doing really well according to the report you guys worked on for 7 years and compiled. I wrote my name on it and sent to them. And if we do better they said I could spend an amount of the raise they already retroactively gave me so I could give out small (at your pay scale) bonuses right before tax season so you pay more taxes and I can bullshit my way down to the next lower tax bracket. The local chairperson will like that and maybe give The Company more tax breaks.

Good luck and keep up the good work but don't be afraid to drag it out if it means quality. If we can do good on this project before the next deadline maybe I'll spend a percentage of my next retroactive raise on a painting for the office
It's tax deductible and my tax woman knows how much I make and wants to gently caress.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Burt Sexual posted:

That's actually best practice as risk padding gets put in down the chain in finance in my company. We ended up with pad on top of pad and lost many bids

When I used to be an estimator I would pad like crazy because I didn't want to catch any grief if a project did sell and it ended up costing more than my estimate due to dumb things I was never made aware of.
I discovered after a year or so that the mark of a good sales executive was their ability to almost immediately spot my padding. The really good ones would eventually learn to leave the pad alone and trust the intuition/experience that I was theoretically hired for.
One of the most satisfying feelings was being able to sit in a meeting discussing why a project was so far over budget and be able to calmly explain that "we would've been OK if the contingency monies in estimate version 6.2 had been left intact".

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
lol if you're a developer and you choose to work somewhere that developers aren't at the top of the foodchain

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

It just looks like a best practice but I assure you our financial guy won't even touch this estimate before it hits the customer.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Any PMs here do their own variation on a RACI/CARS matrix for Roles & Responsibilities? I feel like the RACI format is just completely useless for detailed discussions of project activities. Thanks!

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I am no longer a project manager. I am now a SCRUM master.

*puts on deal with it sunglasses.

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
Guys I'm going to put in 15 minute long daily scrums for us to talk about this otherwise straightforward project that's being temporarily held up by an external supplier.

12:30 each day OK? That was the only time which was free in everyone's diaries.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Magnitogorsk. posted:

lol if you're a developer and you choose to work somewhere that developers aren't at the top of the foodchain

yeah we have project managers but i dont report to them and if anything i can tell them what to do rather than the opposite

it's pretty sweet. i cant imagine having PMO as my boss. lmao

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I only ever have to interact with project managers to tell them "hey this order you managed missed something that the client is asking for, can you place another order for that OK thanks"

Having a PM for a boss would probably induce a lot of headaches.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Mighty Steed posted:

12:30 each day OK? That was the only time which was free in everyone's diaries.

i had to block off lunch on my calendar because of this type of fuckery

it gets ignored anyway of course :smith:

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
There is a special place in hell for project managers who schedule "working lunches."

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I don't think my team has any project managers, just developers and BAs. I think I'm supposed to be the project manager? idk

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
a good PM is invaluable sadly most of them are worthless and counterproductive to project success

Zev
Apr 3, 2009
It seems like a lot f the fuckary you all deal with is in the realm of software. Industrial construction doesn't seem to see value in those types of people. But hey, I might be missing something with my rather limited exposure.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
yeah it's most common in software because only the technical people actually understand (maybe) the software and the business needs risks/costs/timelines but dont understand the software at all but you cant put engineers in charge of MOST types of business and expect good results. in theory roles like project manager should help bridge the gap between the two but since PMs also dont understand the tech at all they tend to just get in the way.

software is such a new industry compared to, eg. construction, that hopefully some of this stuff will go away as new generations are naturally more proficient with the tech powering their world

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

thathonkey posted:

a good PM is invaluable sadly most of them are worthless and counterproductive to project success

Zev
Apr 3, 2009

thathonkey posted:

you cant put engineers in charge of MOST types of business and expect good results.

Out of curiosity, could you elaborate on what makes this the case?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
engineers are too risk averse and obsessed with details i think generally that needs to be balanced out. the goals of the businessman and the engineer are usually different. if an engineer wants to become a successful businessman then that's possible (and probably easier than the opposite) but theyd need a lot of experience (and some training/education probably)

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
edit: oops

Zev
Apr 3, 2009
Ok, so in the projects you have worked on the pm represents the interests of the business?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
ive worked at places where pmo reported to biz and others where pmo reported to dev/engineering/whatever.. but i wasnt really referring to project managers just then

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
There was a project manager at my old job. For 2 months all he could talk about was his sixteen-year-old cousin visiting from Ireland and how bad he wanted to gently caress her. He showed our team a bunch of sneaky photos he took of her on his phone.

He was in his mid-forties and a cliche suburbanite in every way, which means of course he dropped a lot of N bombs at offsite lunches.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Engineers are dumb as hell, like simple apes

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Zzulu posted:

Engineers are dumb as hell, like simple apes

My organization once hired a Professional Engineer to manage our whole department of 30 people or so. Dude was batshit insane, and had major daddy issues; like he'd be talking to me, see his dad driving up, and then run away (I don't mean figuratively, I mean he would literally sprint to the front of the building) without saying a word. I'm assuming he was the victim of abuse, or is par for the course as far as P.E.'s go.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

lorn Wayne posted:

i would unironically be interested in reading more about this.

Here's one of my old Work Crew effort posts on how my old employer was a complete trainwreck.

I also found this, it's a picture of the back door to the CEO's office after he realized that he had nowhere for his new personal air conditioning unit to vent to:

Vernii fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 2, 2016

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
:lol: at that pic

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

thathonkey posted:

case in point :smuggo:

LOL whatever dude I'm just a beatnik now

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Sponge Baathist posted:

so I could give out small (at your pay scale) bonuses right before tax season so you pay more taxes and I can bullshit my way down to the next lower tax bracket.

What?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
guys, we haven't gotten a status in a while, look for something on your calendars for this afternoon so that we can touch base and firm up next steps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The tax man is a friend of mine from ivy league and he gets more commission when he taxes 1000 middle management at a higher amount opposed to 1 me at a significantly higher amount. It was almost the same amount of dollars but I convinced(lied to) him that their jobs will see growth in the future and he will make more money off them.

• Locked thread