Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

LightsGameraAction posted:

I'm not sure why I never considered this before, but do paperbacks and hardcovers ever go on sale on Amazon the way movies do? Are there ever deals of the week or anything like that?

They're always on sale below list price, occasionally there are additional discounts or cock-up slike when 2 dozen Omnibus books were on sale for $10 each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Rhyno posted:

They're always on sale below list price, occasionally there are additional discounts or cock-up slike when 2 dozen Omnibus books were on sale for $10 each.

Check the Amazon Gold Box, quick picks and their lightning deals. I have had some pretty great deals on pre-orders through those.

Is there going to be a second Resurrection Man trade or should I just hunt down floppies?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I hope that link isn't doing anything positive for Rich Johnston.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

irlZaphod posted:

I hope that link isn't doing anything positive for Rich Johnston.

Isn't that where if you buy through that link he gets a kickback? Here's the safe link

http://www.amazon.com/Annihilation-...ilation+omnibus

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's up with the New Teen Titans omniboo? I was thinking of shelling out for one of them so I had a look on Wikipedia to see how they collect the series, and while the first two seem alright, the third one looks like it jumps about a bit (the first six issues of vol. 2, then it jumps to the fiftieth?). Is this just DC being silly about collecting their old stuff?

Also, why are there so few collections of the Levitz-era Legion of Super-Heroes? I've got The Great Darkness Saga and The Curse in hardcovers and I like the stories, but beyond that there doesn't seem to be a whole lot, even though I'm pretty sure it was one of the biggest comics of its time (along with, coincidentally, the New Teen Titans).

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Metal Loaf posted:

What's up with the New Teen Titans omniboo? I was thinking of shelling out for one of them so I had a look on Wikipedia to see how they collect the series, and while the first two seem alright, the third one looks like it jumps about a bit (the first six issues of vol. 2, then it jumps to the fiftieth?). Is this just DC being silly about collecting their old stuff?

No the vol. 2 stuff was made by the same writers and artists. It is being complete and not forgetting stuff.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So it only includes the Wolfman/Pérez issues?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

So it only includes the Wolfman/Pérez issues?

Looking it up it concludes the Wolfman/Perez run and has some of the Perez stuff.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Has there been any word of a Greg Rucka Punisher collection? Either a one volume soft cover or an Omnibus (doubt it).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

Looking it up it concludes the Wolfman/Perez run and has some of the Perez stuff.

As far as I can see, the first two omniboo collect the series up as far as #40 (skipping out #38; for whatever reason, it's held over to the third omnibus), where it was retitled Tales of the Teen Titans, then #41 to #44 of the retitled series.

Omnibus number three has Tales #45-50 (I know it went full reprint eventually, but I'm not sure how many issues it had before that happened) and the first six issues of NTT vol. 2. It then skips ahead to where vol. 2 is retitled New Titans (#50) and continues through #61, then skips five issues and prints #66 and #67.

I don't really understand why they haven't just collected it consecutively. :shrug:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

As far as I can see, the first two omniboo collect the series up as far as #40 (skipping out #38; for whatever reason, it's held over to the third omnibus), where it was retitled Tales of the Teen Titans, then #41 to #44 of the retitled series.

Omnibus number three has Tales #45-50 (I know it went full reprint eventually, but I'm not sure how many issues it had before that happened) and the first six issues of NTT vol. 2. It then skips ahead to where vol. 2 is retitled New Titans (#50) and continues through #61, then skips five issues and prints #66 and #67.

I don't really understand why they haven't just collected it consecutively. :shrug:

Teen Titan 61-65 is a reprint of New Teen Titans.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Fair enough, but what about NTT vol. 2 #7-49?

I also think I've worked out why there's no Levitz/Giffen Legion collections; from what I can see Levitz, as DC's publisher, refused to collect any of his own stories so he could justify not collecting anybody else's work on the title. Does that sound about right?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

Fair enough, but what about NTT vol. 2 #7-49?

I also think I've worked out why there's no Levitz/Giffen Legion collections; from what I can see Levitz, as DC's publisher, refused to collect any of his own stories so he could justify not collecting anybody else's work on the title. Does that sound about right?
By issue #60, the Tales title had caught up with the events chronicled in New Teen Titans (Volume 2) #1. The remainder of the series ran as reprints of the volume 2 material until its cancellation in 1988 with issue #91.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This whole thing is too confusing for me; the issues start at #1 and go forward in a straight line. I'm just going to forget about it.

Spend my money on that Fantastic Four Crusaders and Titans trade or something instead.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

This whole thing is too confusing for me; the issues start at #1 and go forward in a straight line. I'm just going to forget about it.

Spend my money on that Fantastic Four Crusaders and Titans trade or something instead.

Also the first Teen Titan Omnibus is out of print and wicked expensive.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You know, this whole "the DC trades department is a bit inept" thing never ceases to boggle my mind. Marvel's far from perfect, but they've got their poo poo together better than DC.

Anyway, different question; are the Marvel "Visionaries" and "Classic" lines more or less discontinued at this point or are they still coming out?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Metal Loaf posted:

You know, this whole "the DC trades department is a bit inept" thing never ceases to boggle my mind. Marvel's far from perfect, but they've got their poo poo together better than DC.

Anyway, different question; are the Marvel "Visionaries" and "Classic" lines more or less discontinued at this point or are they still coming out?

Visionaries creator specific, I don't think they've started a new series in that line. Classic is still going, there's more GotG Classic, New Warriors Classic, Nova Classic and like 3 more scheduled.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Visionaries creator specific, I don't think they've started a new series in that line. Classic is still going, there's more GotG Classic, New Warriors Classic, Nova Classic and like 3 more scheduled.
I think Cable Classic is still going, too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redbackground posted:

I think Cable Classic is still going, too.

Probably it and many others. I just couldn't think of anything else offhand.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Posted in Derailed but didn't get a response so I'm posting here:

Has anyone used CheapGraphicNovels.com before? I'm wanting to get the Roger Stern Spidey Omnibus and Remender X-Force Omnibus when they come out and these prices are so much loving cheaper

49.99 for X-Force compared to 75 on Amazon

62 compared to 90+ on Amazon for Spidey

I've already pre-ordered the Stern one and am thinking of switching my pre-order over to these guys for X-Force as well but I just wanna know if they're a legit operation or not. The only unusual thing that sticks out in my mind right now is they charge the pre-orders the moment you order rather than upon shipping, but I'm fine with that if they're reliable and aren't going to gently caress me over or anything.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I haven't used CheapGraphicNovels, but dcbservice.com had X-Force for $50 as well, and they're good folks, so the pricing isn't insane.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

There's not a lot on Reseller Ratings, but what is there is positive.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/CheapGraphicNovels

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

StumblyWumbly posted:

I haven't used CheapGraphicNovels, but dcbservice.com had X-Force for $50 as well, and they're good folks, so the pricing isn't insane.

I think it might be too late to pre-order through the website it but if you email them they'll probably be able work it out. Or you could just wait until it's out and use InStockTrades.
I can also attest to them being cool people.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
Is there a good place to find out when New 52 books (or books in general) are going to be hitting new story arcs? I'm starting to get over the notion of I have to start at #1 because it's ultimately stopping me from reading a lot of great books, so I figure I'm just going to buy current issues of what I'm interested in and over time piece together the full run if I really like it - but what'll make it a little easier is maybe if I do it at the start of a story arc so I'm not right in the middle of something interesting.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Sundowner posted:

Is there a good place to find out when New 52 books (or books in general) are going to be hitting new story arcs? I'm starting to get over the notion of I have to start at #1 because it's ultimately stopping me from reading a lot of great books, so I figure I'm just going to buy current issues of what I'm interested in and over time piece together the full run if I really like it - but what'll make it a little easier is maybe if I do it at the start of a story arc so I'm not right in the middle of something interesting.
That's going to be different for every single comic, but keep your eye on solicitations which pop up at places like CBR/Comics Alliance/Newsarama every month.

Just jumping in to a title you think might be interesting is definitely the way to go, though. They're just comics, after all. You could also pop into the Recommendations thread if you'd like more info as to where the best place to dive in might be if you're more concerned about missing Key Bits.

Marvel does a bang-up job on their "Previously..." pages, which should help immensely.

DC doesn't have them because they hate you.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 18, 2013

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Most stories are 5-6 issues long, but it can vary (Zero Year is what, 12 parts?) But yeah, you can just check solicits over the next few months, they'll usually announce if it's a new story in the description.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

redbackground posted:

DC doesn't have them because they hate you.

At least they have a logical and consistent trade strategy to collect the issues in to make it easy on you.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Check out what arrived in the post today:

Moore/Davis is the only Captain Britain I've read, and that was a number of years ago when it was reprinted in Panini's The Mighty World of Marvel magazine. This was expensive (but, at the same time, pretty far below the ridiculous prices I've seen it going for in some places, which I'm quite pleased about) but I'm sure it should be well worth it.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
I think I got Hawkguy early. Yay. This is like the first time that's happened. Normally doesn't Amazon ship ship 2-3 weeks after the direct market gets a trade?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah I got it today from Amazon also. No complaints!

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

As did I (along with the Runaways OSHCs I won on eBay)! Haven't opened it up yet, but I'm looking forward to reading it.

Now that I have the OSHCs of Runaways, I'm thinking if I should try and grab the two standard Hardcovers for Runaways I was missing for cheap (Escape to New York and Dead End Kids) to sell them as a complete set, or just try and sell them individually.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Shawn posted:

I think I got Hawkguy early. Yay. This is like the first time that's happened. Normally doesn't Amazon ship ship 2-3 weeks after the direct market gets a trade?

Typically they keep to their given release date pretty accurately. Strange delays with amazon is the exception, not the rule these days. I too got Hawkguy, today.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It came out two weeks ago to shops so it's not that weird.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I got Hawkguy last Friday (from Amazon UK). It originally wasn't supposed to ship until this week, I think, but I got an update from them a couple of weeks ago saying that it would ship early.

Rhyno posted:

Yeah but they usually don't have trades/hcs for a couple of weeks after they're released to the Direct Market.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Right, but yesterday has been the listed Amazon release date for that book for months now. Comic shops may get it a tad early, but Amazon shipped it exactly when they stated they would.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

Rhyno posted:

Oh, I thought it was coming out today. That's why I was surprised.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shawn posted:

Oh, I thought it was coming out today. That's why I was surprised.

This is what I assumed everyone thought.

LennyBriscoCountyJr
Oct 20, 2005

Holy poo poo, The Colossal Conan book is huge!

Sorry for lovely Vita pic, but here it is sitting next to the Simonson Thor omnibus.

It's about a half inch thicker, too.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

LennyBriscoCountyJr posted:

Sorry for lovely Vita pic, but here it is sitting next to the Simonson Thor omnibus.

It's about a half inch thicker, too.

Wow. These huge Omnibus look pretty cool but after picking up the recent Daredevil and Hawkeye OSHCs I'm not sure I am down to buy the huge books anymore. They are so unwieldy and I don't think the content in Omni vs OSHC varies. Who am I kidding? I'll justify that Conan somehow...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

LennyBriscoCountyJr posted:

Is it actually readable? I'm tempted to buy it for myself as a Christmas present, but man. That is huge.