Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Rochallor posted:

Scorching hot take: I'd rather rewatch Class than the most recent series of Doctor Who.

The gently caress is wrong with your brain there, broke-brain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Demons of the Punjab relates to Yaz but she herself doesn't get a whole lot to do in it. Not enough to compensate for her being in the background of other episodes.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1200097316935524352?s=21

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Maxwell Lord posted:

Demons of the Punjab relates to Yaz but she herself doesn't get a whole lot to do in it. Not enough to compensate for her being in the background of other episodes.

Yeah the episode she has the most agency in is Kablam, which despite the absolutely awful end message, does do the best job of balancing the companions.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

They’ve still not said anything about the Benny writing competition. There was no email acknowledgment on sending, no winner announcement (the initial news said they’d select a winner by Oct 1st), nothing.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'll be honest.

That post was actually about The Demons of the Punjab, not about Yaz

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Cleretic posted:

I really like one of the more consistent things they seemed to have about Yaz, which was her being a police officer that's good at a bunch of things that police officers need to do but you never see on TV. Stuff like consoling victims and gathering information--something I also saw in Broadchurch when I saw some of that, which makes me think Chibnall actually does recognize and want to highlight that.

That's really all I want to see from Yaz in the next season. Just more of her being a good cop about the quieter cop things.

My problem with "Yaz is a cop" was that bit in the spiders episode where she gets threatened by a corporate security guy with a gun, which is super illegal in Britain and a major crime for him to even be packing, and doesn't react at all.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I was expecting solid deals on the new doctors blu rays but most seasons are still like $50 bucks! (I mean smith seasons and 12’s)

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Android Blues posted:

My problem with "Yaz is a cop" was that bit in the spiders episode where she gets threatened by a corporate security guy with a gun, which is super illegal in Britain and a major crime for him to even be packing, and doesn't react at all.

Yeah, that, uh...threw me, a bit, too.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

BF is doing Timeslip

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1200202965325271040?s=20

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
With just a bit of the mind flip

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Maxwell Lord posted:

With just a bit of the mind flip

No, not the mind flip. :geno:

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Rochallor posted:

Scorching hot take: I'd rather rewatch Class than the most recent series of Doctor Who.

Oh yeah? I'd rather watch k9 and company.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu7OiJpnlUs

On a loop for the same runtime.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I watched Class

Quill completely stole the show though and the kids were...there, I guess - interesting, but could barely carry an episode by themselves unless they all pitched in

Episodes 1, 6, 7, 8 were probably the best of the lot

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Season 11, Episode 1: The Woman Who Fell to Earth
Written by Chris Chibnall, Directed by Jamie Childs

The Doctor posted:

We can honour who we've been and choose who we want to be next.

A little over a year ago, the world ended forever. For 50 years, the character of the Doctor had thrilled generations of fans. A time-traveling alien who went on adventures in space and time trying to save people, prevent death, overcome tyranny and spread an inspirational message of hope and optimism everywhere they went. Also the character had a penis. That last part was EXTREMELY important, the rest of it was largely irrelevant but the penis-having? Oh that was a core and vital fixture of the character and absolutely could not be changed.

But then Jodie Whittaker came along and took over the title role, becoming the first (official) female Doctor, as Peter Capaldi's 12th Doctor finally let go and Jodie Whittaker's 13th Doctor arrived on the stage with a pitch perfect "Aww... brilliant!" - but the fans weren't going to put up with this tragedy, the show Doctor Who had clearly become PC gone mad and Chris Chibnall's little experiment would prove to be the failure that put the show in the ground once and for all, forever and ever.

The Woman Who Fell to Earth was watched by 8.2 million viewers overnight (40% of the audience watching television at the time), and consolidated ratings for non-live viewings eventually grew that number to 10.96 million, marking the highest premiere numbers for a new Doctor in the ENTIRE HISTORY of the show, and the best ratings since Matt Smith's final appearance as the 11th Doctor back in 2013.

Eat a dick, people who insisted the Doctor needs a dick. :smugbert:

Which is not to say the episode (or in fact, the season as a whole) was perfect. Far from it. But the doomsayers that have seemed to plague the show since the second episode of the first ever story waaaay back in 1963 were proved wrong once again. The Doctor was back and exactly the same as she'd always been: a slightly mad, enthusiastically friendly danger-magnet who just wanted to see the universe and make friends along the way.

The episode opens with Ryan Sinclair doing a video blog on Youtube in which he talks about wanting to honor the best woman he ever knew. The obvious intention is to deceive the viewer that he is talking about the Doctor. But most everybody watching would have immediately guessed he meant his grandmother, who along with her enthusiastic second-husband try to encourage Ryan to finally learn to ride a bike. This is the downside to a show like Doctor Who where casting for new characters is news in and of itself, because it had already been shouted to the high heavens who the three new regular companions would be, including Ryan's step-Grandfather, and Grace was conspicuous by her absence.

Still, this opening scene accomplishes some important things, including the bristly relationship Ryan has with Graham (who for his part is trying his utmost to bond with him) as well as giving the show a chance to showcase it's new cinematography. RTD modernized the show, Moffat brought it into the HD era, and now Chibnall has stepped up the visual look of the show to create some stunning framing.

Ryan's tantrum brings the characters together, as his walk to retrieve the bike he threw from the cliffside brings him into reach of a glowing symbol in the air that tantalizes him into touching it. This immediately summons a strange dollop-shaped object into the forest. When it proves freezing to the touch,Ryan calls the police in a panic. This gives us our first introduction to Yasmin Khan, a probationary police officer who it turns out went to school with Ryan.

Immediately we've been given a sense of the characters, even if to this point everything revolves around Ryan. We know he has a condition (at this point unidentified) which makes it hard for him to ride a bike; that he loves his grandmother but is suspicious and hostile towards her husband; that he feels undervalued and unsatisfied with his work but is trying his best to improve himself. Similarly, we can contrast him with Yaz, who is the same age and from the same area but has achieved far more than him even if she too feels she isn't meeting her best potential. Graham and Grace are deeply in love, and Graham's desire for a relationship with Ryan isn't simply for her sake, but from a genuine wish he has to be part of the boy's life. They both worry about him and for him, furthering the idea that Ryan is somebody who needs helps, who struggles even in the best conditions.

This character building is a good sign, but as would often be the case in this season, can come at the expense of the flow of the story of the episode itself. After taking this time to introduce and familiarize us somewhat with these characters, things get a little rushed and the editing a little sloppy as everything comes to a head. The train Graham and Grace are on is brought to a halt when something from the sky crashes into it. Passengers race away in terror for no apparent reason (the "monster" seems to be coming from the other end of the train to them but they're aware of it before Graham and Grace?), the train gets "locked" down in a way that seems to ignore that emergency exits are a thing, Ryan and Yaz make record time in her police car from the forest to the site of the train, darkness seems to crash rather than fall as late afternoon suddenly becomes night in an instant etc.

In any case, the thing that crashed into the train now makes its way relentlessly down the car towards Grace, Graham and a hapless third passenger most viewers assumed would be the red-shirt of the day. An undulating tangle of mechanical coils and sparks of electricity, it draws closer and closer... at which point the Doctor FINALLY arrives with one hell of a bang.

Yes she is literally the titular Woman Who Fell to Earth. After falling out of her exploding TARDIS, the Doctor plummeted to Earth and crashed directly through the roof of the train into the path of the mechanical probe. A far bigger fall than the one that killed her 4th incarnation, but she's still in the process of regeneration and enjoying limited invulnerability. But far more interesting than her arrival is what she does next, because it reminds the viewer of what should have been immediately obvious: man or woman, black or white or Asian or Hispanic, the Doctor is the Doctor. There is no doubting that she is straightaway just a continuation of the character we've watched in multiple different forms since 1963. She almost instinctively puts a stop to the probe, saves the people in peril, breezily takes control of the situation from a protesting Yaz, leaves everybody off-balance, becomes intrigued by the mystery, casually lets drop she was a tall Scotsman about an hour ago, and declares herself Yaz's new friend. The only nod to her change in gender is her confusion about being called ma'am, and as soon as she is told she is a female she happily accepts it and moves on. It was perhaps the smartest move Chibnall could have made, before Whittaker was cast he had already decided the Doctor would be a woman, but when he commissioned writers he made no mention of this fact. The result is, aside from a few added in asides later, that every episode of this season was written with the mindset of writing for the Doctor as opposed to for a specifically female Doctor (which could have backfired spectacularly).

After the red shirt who wasn't - Karl - promptly declares he wants no part of this and leaves, the five return to the forest to see Ryan's mystery dollop, but it's gone. This leads to a fun section where each of the future companions sets about in their own way to try and track it down, while Grace looks after the Doctor when she collapses from exertion. Yaz attempts to make use of her police connections, Ryan scours the Internet for possible sightings, Graham visits his old bus driving brethren since they move all around the city. None of these bear immediate fruit but will pay off later, with the Doctor being the one who first figures out how to track the alien after recovering and turning Ryan's phone into a tracker.

In the meantime, the stakes are raised first by the discovery that all of them have been implanted by the probe with "DNA Bombs" to ensure there are no witnesses, and then by the death of Rahul. Who is Rahul? He was the person who retrieved the "dollop" in the first place. He's a mystery at first, coming out of nowhere as he somehow tracks it down and removes it from the forest soon after Ryan and Yaz left it. He moves it to a warehouse he appears to be working out of with the aid of a friend he quickly gets to leave so he can be alone with it... Rahul is simultaneously frustratingly but appropriately mysterious: he is an indication of a pre-existing world, of a character who has existed long before his first on-screen appearance, not just some random addition to the script for the purposes of an easy death (kebab man later is the latter kind). He watches as the "dollop" breaks open and a tall armored figure emerges, demanding to know where his sister is. It's a mystery to us too, we don't know who he is or who his sister was, but the armored figure's sneering response as it murders Rahul speaks volumes about the clear contempt and disdain it has for human beings: where is his sister? He will never know.

The Doctor and her companions arrive in time to see the mysterious figure leave, moving too fast for them to catch up. Investigating the warehouse, they find the remains of the "dollop" but also of Rahul, where they're sickened to find he wasn't just killed but his body mutilated and a tooth taken seemingly as a trophy. All of this is described off-screen, thankfully, but even just via verbal description it's a wonder something this dark was allowed on a show designed for family television.

Here is where those previous efforts of the others start paying off. Ryan and Yaz pool their investigative abilities, looking through Rahul's clearly obsessive notes (and to be fair, locating the video he left in a prominent location in the event of his death) to get a sense of who he was. His sister disappeared under peculiar circumstances and he devoted the last three years of his life to predicting the cause's return and how to track it down. Graham's bus driving colleagues report back on exactly the kind of peculiar thing he was looking for to give them their next destination, and that's where they head to next... but not before a truly wonderful sequence in which the Doctor - tired of playing catch-up - decides to rebuild her own Sonic Screwdriver, using the tools in the warehouse and some of the alien tech from the now broken up "dollop" to weld together the most advanced multi-tool in the universe... from spoons made out of Sheffield steel!

As the armored alien kills some random drunk with a kebab (a weird and completely redundant scene), the Doctor gets ahead of him thanks to the tip from the bus driver and tracks down his probe. Here is where she figures out that it's not two aliens preparing to fight using Earth as a battleground as she assumed, but that the armored alien built the probe from a collection of data coils. After shutting it down by jury-rigging an electrical trap, she has a brief moment to get into its innards and do some fiddling around which - among other things - allows them to figure out the probe has been looking for Karl from the train this entire time. However before they can figure out why, the armored figure arrives and reveals his face AND the reason why he collects teeth.

Unfortunately, after everything visually - cinematography, art direction, set design, costuming, etc - has been so top notch up to this point, this is where things fall apart. The alien removes his mask to reveal a face embedded with the teeth of his kills, a self-mutilation used as a signifier of strength. On paper it's a chilling and dramatic reveal, but in person it just looks kind of... dumb. He looks like a standard Syfy Original quality make-up job, some blue prosthetics with some teeth jammed into it, and without the modulation of his helmet his voice - and the underlying performance - unfortunately strays into near pantomime quality at points.

He is a Stenza warrior, who has come to Earth to complete a task required to prove his worth as a leader of his race. A single random human out of the billions on the planet has been selected, and he must land on Earth and without any tools or advantages track them down and retrieve them to prove their worth. A near impossible task it would seem, but one he almost achieved with remarkable speed until the Doctor's sudden crashing arrival. Which of course makes the Doctor question exactly how he did it, pointing out that the data-coil probe is absolutely a tool, as were the DNA Bombs. Very quickly she comes to the entirely too true conclusion, one that gave me (at the time) a far greater appreciation for the nuance of the writing for ol' toothface: he's a giant cheating baby.

In one of my favorite scenes, the Doctor effortlessly undercuts the Stenza during his gloating, arrogant speech. First by screwing up his name when he throws out "TZIM-SHA!" like it is a name to make planets quake... and she screws up her face and repeats back,"Tim Shaw?" and continually calls him that from this point on. On the one hand there is something to be said for a white person in Sheffield loving up the pronunciation of a foreign name and then persisting with that... but on the other, Tzim-Sha is incredibly full-of himself and the puncturing of his ego is a joy. Particularly because, as she notes, he is a cheat. He wants to be recognized as the leader of his race and yet he's stacked the deck enormously to avoid doing any work to achieve it. He is the equivalent of a cheater in an online video game who mistakes his inevitable victory for a demonstration of his own skill and superiority, or who gets beaten anyway and throws a tantrum because their cheating didn't automatically win things for them.

When he threatens the others, the Doctor lets him past to to transfer everything the probe had scanned in Sheffield, which we will later learn was her already setting the stage for Tzim-Sha's defeat. For now, it's about keeping the others with her safe, though she is enraged when Tzim-Sha leaves with a short-range teleporter, proving he's got even more cheats up his sleeve: he couldn't even be bothered to walk back down the stairs!

At the construction site where Karl works, he's operating a crane while down on the ground level there's another redundant murder as Tzim-Sha kills the security guard: though not before Chibnall made sure to note he was a kindly old grandfather just to really hammer home what we already knew, that Tzim-Sha is a dick.

Apparently his short range teleporter is too short, because he begins climbing the side of the crane, or maybe he's just willing to at least make some slight physical effort now that victory is assured. This gives the Doctor and the others the time to arrive (Ryan was able to track down Karl online using the info Yaz collected from him as a police officer) and figure out a way to rescue him. Grace and Graham are tasked with getting the other workers on the site out of there by faking a health and safety emergency, while Ryan and Yaz follow the Doctor up the neighboring crane as she promises she has a plan... or will by the time they make it to the top anyway! By this point, we have learned the reason why Ryan couldn't ride the bike: he has dyspraxia but he is determined to push forward, as simple a task as climbing a ladder is difficult for him. But unlike with the bike he keeps on going.

Meanwhile, the Doctor has signaled to a now terrified Karl that he needs to leave the cabin of his crane and run along its arm where they'll swing theirs around so he can step over and they can get clear of the 7 foot tall alien monster clambering the side of his to get him. Nervous, scared of heights (he admits he only has this job because it is his dad's firm) he does his best to crawl (past a foreshadowing "broken railing" sign) to the edge. Unfortunately the probe shuts down the crane Yaz and Ryan are operating (thanks to a guide on Youtube!) so Karl has to make a leap of faith, only to be caught in mid-air by Tzim-Sha and dragged away. As seems to have been required ever since David Tennant had the role, the Doctor now has to undertake some great physical feat. Before a shocked Ryan and Yaz she leaps from her crane to the other, hauling herself up and calling Tzim-Sha back.

Tzim-Sha isn't interested in her now he has his prize... until she reveals her ace in the hole: she recovered the recall module from the "dollop" he was going to use to leave the planet, and if he doesn't release Karl she will destroy it, leaving him stranded on Earth. Tzim-Sha, arrogant and demeaning in spite of his own obvious inadequacies, threatens to fire the DNA bombs, which leads to a wonderful exchange that speaks volumes of how this Doctor - suffering from minor amnesia in the best 8th Doctor fashion - is, of course, THE Doctor, as well as offering an important reminder to everybody viewing:

Doctor: Poor Tim Shaw. The wannabe leader who has to cheat because he knows he's unworthy. See, that's why I know you won't detonate. Although, you could prove me wrong. Because we're all capable of the most incredible change. We can evolve while still staying true to who we are. We can honour who we've been and choose who we want to be next. Now's your chance. How about it?
Tzim-Sha: Who are you?
Doctor: Yes. I'm glad you asked that again. Bit of adrenaline, dash of outrage, and a hint of panic knitted my brain back together. I know exactly who I am. I'm the Doctor. Sorting out fair play throughout the universe. Now please, get off this planet while you still have a choice.

Tzim-Sha, of course, sneers at the offer of proving himself capable of improvement. Why would he? He's a cheat, he assumes he can brute-force his way past any problem with his hidden tools, and so he sets off the DNA Bomb... and his own body immediately begins breaking down. But because OF COURSE the Doctor already off-screen easily dealt with the implants in her and the others. She had mentioned earlier to Graham she needed a few minutes to sort everything out, and she did. When she got into the innards of the probe she added the extracted DNA bombs knowing they would be transferred when Tzim-Sha went to it for info. When she mocked Tzim-Sha asking if he'd given Karl one too, she was simply confirming what she'd already guessed to ensure it was safe to goad him into setting them off. But most importantly: She gave him the choice. All of these actions were taken of HOW own free will by the wannabe-leader, she asked him to simply leave rather than to try and kill them, all of the tools were those that HE brought in express violation of the rules of his own people. And when the DNA bombs begin tearing him apart, she doesn't mock or taunt him, she tosses him the recall module so he can leave and get treatment before he dies. Which is why she becomes upset when Karl - seeing the opportunity - kicks him through the broken railing and he has to hit the recall while plummeting through the air. Karl can't understand what her problem is, but it is the first sign of what will be a recurring theme throughout the season: of how often human beings can allow their own baser instincts to take precedence, and how deeply this dismays the Doctor. More importantly, Karl's choice will have enormous consequences in the final episode of the season.

But with Karl saved and Tzim-Sha banished, the story isn't over. Because while the Doctor was doing all this, down on the ground an excited Grace had convinced Graham to help her put together a version of the device the Doctor used to shut down the probe earlier. Climbing the crane, she attacked the probe to stop it getting at Yaz and Ryan, but while successful the blowback knocked her from the crane and sent her crashing to the ground. Graham arrives in time to share a final frantic goodbye to her before she dies, a seemingly inevitable but still upsetting death made the worse because it all happened independently of everything else that happened. She didn't need to do this, but the fact she did was an indication of the kind of person she is... or sadly, was. Somebody who always wanted to help others before thinking of herself.

Ryan is devastated of course, and tries to work through that before the funeral by returning to the field to continue his efforts to ride a bike like Grace always wanted. At the funeral he is angry when his father does not show up, giving us the barest glimpse of his family history/background which we will learn more about in the New Years Special. At the service itself in a packed Church, Graham tearfully explains how he shouldn't even be alive now and it should have been him that went rather than her. After the service, he explains to the Doctor and Yaz that he met Grace - a nurse - while in hospital having his cancer treated. He has been in remission for 3 years, during which he has been happier than ever in his life being married to her, but now she is gone and he is left behind.

The Doctor admits that her own family are long dead too, echoing the 2nd Doctor when she explains she carries them with her in her heart so that they are always there with her. It has been a crazy few days, but with the service over and Tzim-Sha defeated thoughts finally turn to the madness of what they encountered. Is she really an alien? What will she do now? More importantly... can she finally change out of those old clothes she's been wearing for several days straight... longer in fact, given she was wearing them the entire time she was on the giant ship caught in the black hole populated by Cybermen! This leads to a fun sequence as she excitedly goes through a second-hand clothing store in Sheffield and finds an amazing outfit and INCREDIBLE boots to replace her worn old rags (which she also looked great in), then asks for the three of them to assist her as she has a plan to track down her still missing TARDIS.

Returning to the warehouse where Rahul died (the place is still full of alien tech, did they move the body before reporting it?), she jury-rigs a device from the remaining Stenza tech to track the Artron energy her TARDIS uses, and teleport her directly to it. She just needs Yaz, Ryan and Graham to hold and operate a couple of things for her while she manipulates them with her Sonic Screwdriver. Saying a cheerful goodbye to her new friends, she triggers the teleportation which of course proves that like all her previous incarnations she is an absolute genius... and like all of her previous incarnations she is also an absolute, glorious gently caress-up, as she teleports all four of them away from Earth... and into the open vacuum of space for one HELL of a cliffhanger to an absolutely excellent first episode of the new Doctor's run. One that reminds us what everybody should have already known....

She is the Doctor.

Index of Doctor Who Write-ups for Television Episodes/Big Finish Audio Stories.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Nov 30, 2019

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I know it's more ignorance or not really considering the implications of what's actually being said than intended transphobia most of the time and I see it places other than here so I'm not saying it's an issue with this thread in particular but the continued fixation on the penis when talking about people being irrationally upset about the Doctor regenerating into a woman is really lovely

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fair enough, my apologies.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Jerusalem posted:

Fair enough, my apologies.

Like I said, I know there's never really any ill intent behind it, so you're good, it just isn't great fun seeing "these people all cared that the Doctor had a penis, and now she's a woman" and the implied mutual exclusivity of those things every time the topic comes up

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I wonder how many naysayers only watched a bit of Ryan's opening scene and then said "Look at this show, already jacking itself off about the fact the Doctor's a woman and amazing."

Bet they felt like poo poo when they were told that is was for a different woman - although that'd require them to have empathy, which I doubt they're capable of projecting or picking up on, so...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Though the season as a whole had issues, I have to say I think The Woman Who Fell to Earth is a great intro to the show, not just the new era of it but the show in general. It really firmly establishes the Doctor strongly and shows how capable she is even when she's got none of her usual tools available to her. The companions are all good and well-used in complementary ways, and the only thing really letting it down is that Tzim-Sha isn't particularly great as a villain, which makes his later return also fall flat.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

John Barrowman's suffered some sort of neck injury. Hope he gets better

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-50616418

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Give him a minute, he’ll be back.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Great write-up as always, J-Ru.

Box of Bunnies posted:

Like I said, I know there's never really any ill intent behind it, so you're good, it just isn't great fun seeing "these people all cared that the Doctor had a penis, and now she's a woman" and the implied mutual exclusivity of those things every time the topic comes up
:love:

Vinylshadow posted:

Bet they felt like poo poo when they were told that is was for a different woman - although that'd require them to have empathy, which I doubt they're capable of projecting or picking up on, so...
I believe they have plenty of empathy. When an abusive man loses a custody battle. When a racist loses their job. When they're on a jury and a lawyer paints a picture of a woman who enticed a man into sex by dressing a certain way, then called it rape. They think the man's the victim.

They have all the empathy in the world for those people. It isn't sociopathy. It's just being a bad person.

You didn't say they were sociopaths, mind, so I'm not dragging you here. It's merely an excellent jumping-off point for something that bothers me. I saw a talk about it a few years back. Sociopaths are born that way and most lead perfectly normal lives. There are many cases, you'd want a sociopath on your side. During life-threatening surgery, for instance. It can be a tremendous boon having a surgeon who won't go to pieces like, say, I would, at the enormity of the task and the dire consequences for failure who can just take the complications as they come and triage problems in the correct order for the best result.

I used lack of empathy to explain lovely behavior for a long time and I feel terrible about it, because it was itself demonstrating a profound lack of empathy for those who actually have none and aren't monsters, despite how popular media literally always portrays them. Even when they're geniuses, like the various portrayals of Sherlock Holmes from the books to the BBC Sherlock to House MD, they're still sort of monsters. And to undermine my own earlier point, they're useful monsters, so we're okay with them, implying that if they weren't so useful, we should cast them aside.

It's just the latest neurodivergence boogeyman we throw under the bus to explain why bad people are bad people when really, upbringing, systemic power imbalance, and a lack of critical thinking skills and alternate viewpoints in education are all at play along with a host of other problems that are far more complicated than just putting a lovely person in a box and writing something on it and sticking it under the bed in our minds instead of examining complicated power structures and social issues.

And, most divisively of all, media portrayals.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
My headcanon is that Jackie Tyler's infamous question can be answered in the affirmative, and especially for Time Ladies. :colbert:

I don't mind the "manbabies upset Doctor no longer has penis" jokes, because the joke is aimed at the manbabies, not women like me. :shrug:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
It really depends on how one feels about regeneration. 10 said that regeneration is like dying, then having someone else take over your body and prancing about with your memories. The Doctor is not one person, but 14 or 15 (depending on how you count metacrisis 10).

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

TinTower posted:

I don't mind the "manbabies upset Doctor no longer has penis" jokes, because the joke is aimed at the manbabies, not women like me. :shrug:
I get it, but there are ways of making that joke that don't affirm to people the outdated notion that women=vaginas and men=dicks. It's like making fun of Trump by implying that he's gay for Putin. Sure, that's exactly the kind of humor that would piss him off the most, but the collateral damage is all the queer people.

I know J-Ru didn't mean it that way, and while I often argue that intent isn't magic and it super doesn't matter whether you had malice in your heart, it's also super obvious when somebody isn't used to thinking a certain way vs. a person who definitely does think that way and wants to force their bigotry into the conversation.

And he (they? I just realized I don't know J-Ru's gender) didn't even argue. It was like, "whoops! Yup!" which is exactly what you want when you point these things out.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Dec 1, 2019

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Edward Mass posted:

It really depends on how one feels about regeneration. 10 said that regeneration is like dying, then having someone else take over your body and prancing about with your memories. The Doctor is not one person, but 14 or 15 (depending on how you count metacrisis 10).

I wonder how much of that was true, and how much was Ten's unique personality ("I had vanity issues at the time.")

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I mean, it’s a good debate to have. Not like we have any Doctor Who for the next month plus.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Having regenerated myself, it made perfect sense to me. I'm a completely different person with a new name and face and body and most importantly, brain chemistry, which alters your personality pretty intensely. I often catch myself referring to my past as if somebody experienced it. "Joe used to go there, etc." But I'm definitely still the same person. I couldn't use it to escape responsibility for bad things I did, for instance.

It's both. You're still you, but you're a whole new person. Eleven's last speech summed it up pretty well. We're all different people at different points of our lives.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Yes, something about Capaldi Doctor being so sad and jaded he couldn’t see the point in living anymore and then Whittaker Doctor going “no wait a minute everything is great” felt painfully relatable to me as a depressed person though I’m pretty sure that wasn’t intentional. I don’t know that regeneration is so different to human experience really; some people never change but then some Time Lords don’t really either

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It was something I really loved about the immediate shift from 10 to 11. 10 holds out as long as possible, his final words are,"I don't want to go" and then the very second 11 arrives he's just so loving happy/excited to be there. They're absolutely the same person, but he was holding onto something needlessly out of vanity and fear only to realize once it happened that not only was it not so bad, it was pretty loving great, and now he had a whole bright new future to look to.

Capaldi to Whittaker feels much the same. He was comfortable as 12, he had reached a point where he felt he'd become exactly who he was meant to be and drat the universe if it thought it could change him... but then he finally relents, accepts that change is necessary, and the moment he becomes 13, she looks at her reflection and goes,"Aww... brilliant!" and it's just so perfect :allears:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

It was something I really loved about the immediate shift from 10 to 11. 10 holds out as long as possible, his final words are,"I don't want to go" and then the very second 11 arrives he's just so loving happy/excited to be there.

Also, "allons y" means "let's go"

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

:allears:

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

i feel blessed to have this image in my inbox this morning

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

JANUARY 1ST!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1201516374209765376?s=20

quote:

Doctor Who returns on New Year's Day with Part 1 of a two-part story, Spyfall. Part 2 airs on Sunday 5 January, with the remaining eight episodes of the new series to follow.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 2, 2019

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

It's a shame that gatekeepers decided Doctor Who sucks now because both of these trailers have been great. I wish I could watch it but it has been decided.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The internet said it was bad so it must be true

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Episode 1 is called Spyfall - Part 1

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I kind of love "Space For All" as a Doctor Who tagline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Crusader posted:

i feel blessed to have this image in my inbox this morning

Jack Stranding