Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Mods being back in is great. There's a "no curses" mod, which gives you the black candle at the beginning of a run. Kinda cheaty, but jesus christ I hate the curse of darkness curse.

Wish there was a mod that removed or reduced boss armour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

good example of boss armor not keeping up. also the game not keeping up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjlW_IiFVUQ

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

not sure how people think the game is less broken when my first azazel run on a new file got eye of the occult and the new conjoined transformation giving me auto-fire multishot brimstone with infinite range

in afterbirth+ that run would have been extremely sad with some trash item in place of eye of the occult and completely useless baby familiars

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I don't think anyone is claiming there aren't good new items/synergies like Azazel + Eye of the Occult. Of course Eye of the Occult is a borderline run killer on characters with normal tears...

sparksbloom
Apr 30, 2006
I’ve only really regretted eye of the occult when I’ve had technology, which basically turns into Marked.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

And speaking of run wins with dumb poo poo, I finally got my 3rd Mom's Heart kill.

Cain good. Normal either has better builds or is a placebo for good luck. Then again, all the Devil Deals I got were just garbage (Blood Oath vs Guppy's Hairball, then Devil Bum vs Ouija Board). Got a better deal from the Devil bums I could get to pay out (just one, it was Missing Page 2).

Also, Lighter is a sleeper trinket, yo. Chance to just delete enemies by simply entering the room.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Eye of the Occult is a decent damage upgrade, it lets you fire diagonally and becomes very strong with items that fire tears in weird directions (eg Eye Sore, Pencil, Loki's Horns). Good item.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Here's a mod that could breathe more life into the normal characters. It makes it so that every character with an innate active (aside from Eden who works very differently coding wise) uses their innate active item in their pocket slot now like the Tainted characters do. Granted it makes it a massive buff for certain characters, but if you hated essentially being locked to an active unless you found an absolutely god tier active later, there you go.

Also another slight addendum to boss armor, Blood Rights and Necronomicon/Black Heart is classified as Bomb Damage now. They weren't before and I can tell you Isaac's Heart + Blood Rights took a loving eternity to kill Ultra Greed in AB+! Unfortunately Magic Fingers is classified as tear damage, so that can't be used to bypass the mechanic.

Granted with how much more limited you can use those items after the Isaac's Heart changes, the only real use is to instakill Tainted Enemies in the ascent. Unless you find Converter as Tainted Judas in which case yeah enjoy your free win.

Actually it might be that set damage items bypass boss armor now? Any other set damage items in the game I'm missing? Granted Necro effect can be increased with Missing Page 2, but even that doesn't dull the effectiveness of the attack against armor. Sadly Familiars all count as tear damage despite most of them not scaling with Isaac,

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Eye of the Occult is a decent damage upgrade, it lets you fire diagonally and becomes very strong with items that fire tears in weird directions (eg Eye Sore, Pencil, Loki's Horns). Good item.

Eye of the Occult is an item I would consider overall pretty good. Like you can redirect a bunch of missed shots, which is a pretty big indirect DPS upgrade. There's definitely some builds it doesn't play nicely with (It basically makes Sad Bombs kind of a limp upgrade in certain builds), but I wouldn't say it's one of those items where it's only good with a specific synergy (ie Old Soy Milk + Libra.)

Vasler posted:

Mods being back in is great. There's a "no curses" mod, which gives you the black candle at the beginning of a run. Kinda cheaty, but jesus christ I hate the curse of darkness curse.

Wish there was a mod that removed or reduced boss armour.

Here's a mod that only removes Curse of Darkness if you don't want the entire Black Candle effect.

Evil Eagle posted:

good example of boss armor not keeping up. also the game not keeping up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjlW_IiFVUQ

God the discrepancy between the Ultra Greed kill time and the (assuming it would have been happening at normal speed) Ultra Greedier kill time is really sad. I hope that boss armor issue gets fixed soon. Or that someone just makes a mod to remove it from the game.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Irony Be My Shield posted:

On the other it makes every tear you shoot a chore :shrug:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Araxxor posted:

Here's a mod that could breathe more life into the normal characters. It makes it so that every character with an innate active (aside from Eden who works very differently coding wise) uses their innate active item in their pocket slot now like the Tainted characters do. Granted it makes it a massive buff for certain characters, but if you hated essentially being locked to an active unless you found an absolutely god tier active later, there you go.
I hate the items in pill slot gimmick, it's so easy to gently caress it up by accidentally picking a consumable up off the ground. If you want a character to be able to use multiple active items then give them the Schoolbag, the item that lets you use multiple active items

The Moon Monster posted:

On the other it makes every tear you shoot a chore :shrug:
How so? If you just hold the button down they behave the same as regular tears.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
gently caress, Delirium is so terrible. I hope the rework is actually good and not more of the same trash garbage nightmare horseshit in a slightly different configuration.

I finally got to him as Tainted Isaac with brimstone, a bunch of DMG ups, little horn, two pretty flies, and psy fly. Hush was simple thanks to psy fly, and I found Delirium really quickly, and managed to whittle him down past halfway. I only had two red hearts left but something was dropping them constantly so I could easily pick one up each time I got hurt with psy fly covering me and then nope gently caress me because he's right on top of me haha game over.

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

Wow BFFS + Holy water is really good now. It carried me up through to necropolis.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

God I missed you so much Item Descriptions mod.

I have an awful loving memory.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

For the record, this is the source of the new thread title

https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/1392572314194120704?s=19

I wish I could find the clip of Ridiculon recording it as the narrator

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Color Printer posted:

For the record, this is the source of the new thread title

https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/1392572314194120704?s=19

I wish I could find the clip of Ridiculon recording it as the narrator

https://twitter.com/schultechowder/status/1392734272423792643

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Well this explains a whole lot. The red circles are the in-game hitboxes, which are tied to the tear shadows. So yeah for Ipecac, ignore the tear itself, you basically shoot ahead regardless of tear height. But then how are high tear volley attacks from enemies handled then?

Simple. The hitboxes are completely disabled until the tears start getting close to the ground.

Unfortunately in crawlspace physics battles that doesn't apply. The actual tear is basically the hitbox there. Which is why Ipecac becomes a run killer on The Beast, as it uses Crawlspace physics to simulate being a SHMUP.

Incidentally this is how much smaller your hitbox gets with shrinking items. Left is normal hitbox, middle is with Mini Mush, and right is with Pluto.

You can actually go further and your hitbox becomes a 5 pixel cross shape if you stack enough size downs. Can't get any smaller than that though.

Also fun fact, in order to take damage, you have to be in the hitbox for enough frames. This means if your hitbox is small enough, you can avoid damage because the bullet frame data essentially glided over your hitbox too fast. Which is what makes Pluto makes you "evade" bullet based attacks a lot of times. Ironically this makes it so that Hard Mode is a bit easier than normal mode if you have enough hitbox shrinkers, as the bullets are more likely to glide through you than in Normal Mode.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 16, 2021

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Here's a pretty fun mod, it's one that removes the item weight mechanic entirely.

Do be warned that you'll end up seeing specific items a lot since in some cases, item weight was used to counterbalance the fact that the item was in so many pools rather than the item itself being too powerful. (ie Forget Me Now and Plan C will be showing up very often since they're both in like 3 and 5 pools.)

Also here's another bizarre undocumented change. Tammy's Head is only available from the crane game now. Which is gated behind killing Mega Satan as Tainted Samson. Geez no wonder I was never seeing this thing anymore. That seems like a harsh sledgehammer nerf for an item that's fairly alright on its own. :psyduck:

EDIT: Oh wait it's probably an oversight due to how they reworked the golden chest item pool to grant more stat ups. They readded Fate back in when they realized they accidentally removed it entirely from the game.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 10:42 on May 16, 2021

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
After asking for help, I finally got Greedier as J+E! The trick was getting godhead and a bunch of other good stuff in the angel rooms. Pure RNG. But J+E are DONE!

The next run I got 9 lives for the Lost in the curse room next to the starting room, and took down the Beast first try. Insane how much easier the Lost felt compared to J+E!

I kind of want to unlock Mega Mush before I really start the tainted characters, but I'm scared Edmund will nerf all the good tainteds if I wait before doing them :'(

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just did all the Lost's hard marks, marathoned it and took me the better part of a day. Biggest hiccups were Greedier Mode and Mother

I really really *really* hate Greedier mode.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

greedier mode is just bad. the fact that you don’t have enough money to buy an item before your first boss wave is just horrible

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

What a miserable daily. Love to have to take a vanilla Bethany through multiple large cellar rooms full of spiders thanks to not having a map, and then a Pride on top.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

am i the only person who has problems with Lump?

legitimately the least fun enemy in the game to deal with.

EDIT:

nevermind guess i'm not.

i looked it up there is a mod that just removes them from the game.

Too Many Birds fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 16, 2021

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Too Many Birds posted:

am i the only person who has problems with Lump?

legitimately the least fun enemy in the game to deal with.

I hate those guys so much.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

If Lumps like... didn't move around so much I'd be fine with them. Like other burrowing enemies have a lingering hitbox so they aren't a pain in the rear end but not them. I hate them.

Also sure got through The Lost's sticky note on hard easy enough but boy Keeper sure is a different story. Just had a literal godly run that took me through boss rush and all the super bosses but that felt way more like a one in a blue moon kinda thing. Winning the coin flip on the void appearing after mega satan makes me feel so good.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Lumps are very dumb because you sometimes just have to stand there for two minutes waiting for it to appear near you in a big room. Time waste with no strategy to it.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

i was googling to see if there was a strategy to dealing with them but no they are just dumb and bad and i will be installing that mod.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

yeah they just suck

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Black August posted:

Lumps are very dumb because you sometimes just have to stand there for two minutes waiting for it to appear near you in a big room. Time waste with no strategy to it.

This, hosts and those shuckle looking motherfuckera are like the harbingers of ruining your hush time

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Hot drat a mod to remove lumps? Sign me up

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

There any other mods to make my Isaac experience less bullshit? I remember hearing about one that removed Ultra Greed's armor or something, not sure if there's anything else I should get to have a less bullshit time.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.
Do mods disable filling out character sheets? I finished true ending with Samson and unlocked Tainted Samson but the sheet doesn't show any of it.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Zedlic posted:

Do mods disable filling out character sheets? I finished true ending with Samson and unlocked Tainted Samson but the sheet doesn't show any of it.

ive been using mods and getting completion marks just fine, but i recall hearing you need to do Something or beat some element of hte game to make mods work like that

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Futaba Anzu posted:

ive been using mods and getting completion marks just fine, but i recall hearing you need to do Something or beat some element of hte game to make mods work like that

There's only one restriction and the save file needs to have gotten a Mom kill at some point in order to be eligible for modded achievements.

Also yeah I have mods on and am getting completion marks just fine as well.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

widespread posted:

There any other mods to make my Isaac experience less bullshit? I remember hearing about one that removed Ultra Greed's armor or something, not sure if there's anything else I should get to have a less bullshit time.

Can't link it on my phone but if you search workshop for 'boss armor' there's a mod that comes up that lets you modify it. It hasn't been updated to repentance but I tried it on ultra greed and it definitely seems to have done something, sharp straw was taking off like 10% of his health with each hit.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

does rag man not exist anymore

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Sharkitten posted:

does rag man not exist anymore

He unfortunately still exists, but thankfully only as a Burning Basement boss. He feels like a Sheol enemy stuffed into Chapter 1.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
The normal version of Rag Man is fine. Most of his attacks are easy to dodge and his adds never get out of control. Orange Champion Rag Man is a loving sea of summoning garbage and he's spawned like the last five times I've pulled Rag Man as a boss and I wish he would stop.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I wish champion bosses gave you some extra room drops or something upon clearing them, so it wasn't just a total bummer running into them early on when you're underpowered. Like just drop a chest or something

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Any tips or advice for Tainted Lost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I've never modded anything but man I wanna get rid of the ascent voice clips. They don't even bother me- it's just repetitive.

Got my win with Keeper though, found Libra floor 1 and then mega mush and a ton of stat up items so was rapid firing high damage triple shots, nothing really crazy outside that. When I got to home though? I found Greeds head in the closet :getin:

Laughing wildly as it became impossible to die.