Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Brawnfire posted:

I'd rather die a free man than live with a Jem'Hadar boot on my throat! *spits*

I know it's not what you meant, but this made me think of Jem'Hadar-skin boots. A nice renewable alternative to alligator skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

PostNouveau posted:

No, the Lwaxana-Alexander mudbath one. Majel Barrett should have answered for her crimes!

We had no law to fit her crimes

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

AceOfFlames posted:

I never liked that episode. It's all "Yes, the MATH is against us but we have HEART on our side!" That was was pretty anti-intellectual. In the real world, they should have taken that deal. Screw gambling with people's lives.

Ehhhhh the real problem is that you can only extrapolate so far before your model starts to diverge from reality. There's no way the supergeniuses have all the facts. I mean, hell, the Cardassians up and revolted against the Dominion mid-battle - there's no way they would have predicted that. They also probably wouldn't have predicted the Breen and their ace-in-the-sleeve techno-trick either. Nor would they have known that Section 31 had infected the Founders with a biological weapon.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

AceOfFlames posted:

I never liked that episode. It's all "Yes, the MATH is against us but we have HEART on our side!" That was was pretty anti-intellectual. In the real world, they should have taken that deal. Screw gambling with people's lives.
If they surrender to the Dominion, there will be mass slaughter and re-engineering of entire species. Some cultures might not be heavily modified, like those wine dealers the Ferengi encountered, and would only be subjugated; others would perhaps be disregarded or subject only to military enforcement; others might get broken down to their raw gene stuff and turned into tools for the Founders.

Which would be which? If the Betazoids get broken down to become Vorta 2.0: Now With Tele-Empathy Instead Of An Occasional Kamehameha, is that much different for them than fighting until they're actually beaten? How many of the people who you surrender to save will be executed by the Dominion as surplus?

e: Like you could make an analogy to Bertrand Russell saying that Europe should, en masse, agree to Soviet communism if it becomes a choice between Soviet subjugation and being a theater for nuclear war. The Dominion would have been like Stalinist USSR or Nazi Germany, except that Hitler and Stalin were immortal, godlike, and had extensive practical experience in executing their goals.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 4, 2017

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Ehhhhh the real problem is that you can only extrapolate so far before your model starts to diverge from reality. There's no way the supergeniuses have all the facts. I mean, hell, the Cardassians up and revolted against the Dominion mid-battle - there's no way they would have predicted that. They also probably wouldn't have predicted the Breen and their ace-in-the-sleeve techno-trick either. Nor would they have known that Section 31 had infected the Founders with a biological weapon.

It was basically the premise of the Foundation series but disproved almost immediately.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ben Nerevarine posted:

It was basically the premise of the Foundation series but disproved almost immediately.
The Foundation setting also had a much older universal empire which was 100% hewmons and would probably thus be easier to model, hypothetically speaking. Of course it mostly worked out because of the Second Foundation.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Exactly, all that.

There's a level of "know when to quit" because of the losses you're taking, but there's still plenty of "let's see where this is going" because of the unknowns. Look at the US Civil War. After Antietam, it may have been in the Union's interest to end the war, lest it turn out that there were far worse battles ahead (which wouldn't have been a stretch of the imagination). Instead, the sheer dumb luck of a friendly fire incident later at Chancellorsville that killed Stonewall Jackson might have shifted the entire balance of the war, as his corpse was unavailable to command troops at Gettysburg. Lincoln (nor any super-intelligent genetically modified humans) would have not had the information that Jackson would die and impact the entire prosecution of the war. Not losing their nerve after Antietam, but trading everyone that died after that, was probably a better outcome and a wiser gamble.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
It's even simpler than that; they had a system which seemed to work very well deductively, and were assuming it also worked just as well predictively.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I see what you are saying. Still, can you imagine if you had to make that decision? It's why I am deathly afraid of large responsibility.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Revenant Threshold posted:

It's even simpler than that; they had a system which seemed to work very well deductively, and were assuming it also worked just as well predictively.

And most importantly, they didn't bother to have hundreds of other augmented sperglords researching and testing and refining their model over decades and coming to an overwhelming conclusion that it's pretty drat accurate and a reasonable thing to consider when making policy, which is where it diverges hugely from that whole climate change deal that hillary anime man keeps claiming this has nothing to do with.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

McSpanky posted:

And most importantly, they didn't bother to have hundreds of other augmented sperglords researching and testing and refining their model over decades and coming to an overwhelming conclusion that it's pretty drat accurate and a reasonable thing to consider when making policy, which is where it diverges hugely from that whole climate change deal that hillary anime man keeps claiming this has nothing to do with.

I was the one who said that's what it was in the first place. But what I said was, without going into what I think about the issue, within the confines of this Star Trek episode, it's every bit as much climate change as the TOS Klingons are the USSR.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
So there I was, thinking about the Ferengi in my off time like I usually do...

I think Rom's policies would actually start a nationilistic fervor among the Ferengi. Welfare programs for Ferengi would probably cut down the amount of infighting since they all have to share the burden. If the weakest among them are taken care of and put back in the fight (not to mention giving equal rights to the :females:) that gives more opportunity for profit (competition and conflict) and soft targets (non Ferengi) are always much easier to fleece than the person who just put you in the welfare line. Rom made it law that they're all in this together, which puts everyone else in the Them category. Instead of Me VS You, it's Us VS Them. The hardliners like Quark would probably rebel or just up and leave while the ones who stay form a more unified Alliance. If it's not a civil war it's at the very least a secession.

Also I'd like to see Discovery's take on Ferengi Cardassians and the Dominion

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

AceOfFlames posted:

The math didn't count on the prophets intervening in the war.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

AceOfFlames posted:

Also this is what Hillary's people expected. They had the math all worked out and it was just a matter of coasting to victory. In the real world, things don't always work that way.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Arglebargle III posted:

The math didn't count on the prophets intervening in the war.

They also (I assume) had no idea there was a secret victory condition: Odo convinces the Founders to stop.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Also they could have drawn Exodia

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watching The Perfect Mate. Title makes me think this will be bad and in a boring way instead of an incredible way like that last one.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I'm sleep deprived and already having trouble following what's going on other than there's Ferengi and a secretive guest. Wait a second do I recognize one of those Ferengi?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The Ferengi are pretty much constantly posed like The Happy Merchant

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Ferengi are just here to sell how desirable Famke Jenssen is.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I didn't realize the ambassador wasn't human because his only makeup was liver spots he's old enough to have

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I'm laughing at how pleased the Ferengi looks to be doing whatever he's doing with the portal in the cargo bay

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sash! posted:

They also (I assume) had no idea there was a secret victory condition: Odo convinces the Founders to stop.

Which was based on Section 31's actions, another unaccounted-for actor.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

She's beautiful

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Riker starts grinning at her right as a shot of him ends

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

She has an alien ability that makes her extra sexy

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Picard and Beverly are arguing like a married couple about the ethics of breeding succubi to use as political bargaining chips

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Picard entered the room, but if anyone can resist her wiles it's him

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Guy who just got finished playing the alien xylophone: "I forbid it."
My running-on-fumes brain: Oh, he must be forbidding playing the that specific xylophone because he found it out of tune

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

A think these rowdy bargoers are the horniest the show has every shown men being.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I have to admit, this plot's a lot more believable because of how gorgeous the actress is. Or maybe it's just because she's exactly my type.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

At anytime an invitation
You can't decline
Caviar and cigarettes
Well versed in etiquette
Extraordinarily nice

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That's Famke Janssen, Jeb.

Fun fact: She was offered the role of Dax on DS9, but turned it down. Then they reused her spots from this episode when Terry Farrell's original forehead appliance was nixed by execs.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Irresistible (:haw:) force meets immovable object

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Dirty posted:

That explains a lot. I never understood why they went to the bother of wrapping up the season-long arc story only for it to suddenly turn into a cliffhanger for a totally different story in the closing seconds.

"Well it took us a year, but we defeated the Xindi and saved Earth. Now let's go and celebrate!"
"Sir, sensors are picking up SPACE NAZIS"
"Wow, I honestly thought they'd wait until the next episode. I haven't even sat down yet. My clothes are still on fire. Oh well, time to kick some Nazi rear end!"
TO BE CONTINUED...

This still pisses me off to this day because if you notice they never actually travel back in time.

No wormhole, no flash of light, no nothing. One minute they're flying along their new Xindi BFFs and say "Smell ya later!", the Xindi leave, the Enterprise flys on--and then somehow they're back in time.

DId the Xindi ship go back to the 1940s as well? :psyduck:

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I'm waiting for Jeb! to get to "the line."

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Trip report: DS9 season 6, episode 10 Weekend at Keevan's "The Magnificent Ferengi"

This could've easily been an episode of The Orville with very little changed. That is to say, it was goofy and fun and I liked it.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Picard bonding-cucked the Ron Howard alien

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Picard bonding-cucked the Ron Howard alien

Actually it looks more like Picard's the one being cucked