Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

FuzzySlippers posted:

Finally reached Heavensward. That whole post ARR period is such an odd experience for an MMO. Some really great moments (several of the trials are the best experiences I've had in the game) and yet diluted with so much filler. I'm sure it was a hell of a thing when it was coming out over patches.

I can see now why they need you to play through it, but taking a knife to it and reducing it by half would do a lot for new players. Pushing quests to side quests and then warning when you complete X quest you will never be able to complete <list> of quests would do so much to highlight the better parts.

Despite some complaining this is the only time in an MMO I'm actually interested to see what happens next in the story.

Didn't mind it when it was live, partly because I did them as they came out and my expectations weren't so high until 2.3. Until then I was more interested in Coil, Crystal Tower, and Hildibrand. But yes, it's an often criticized part of the game. Gets better in Heavensward and Stormblood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a rule of thumb for who I should be tossing cards at on AST? I've been using my gut/picking based on who is the least annoying so far

Tbh I've been thinking of running a dps meter because 10% crit won't help if someone is only using two attacks

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
there are guidelines, but in dugeons your best shot is just to run a dps parser and give all the cards to who's doing the most damage. yes, sometimes that'll be you.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's a decent one for that, then? Assuming there's multiple parsers :v:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Blast of Confetti posted:

What's a decent one for that, then? Assuming there's multiple parsers :v:

ACT is the only parser I've ever heard anyone use. I don't have a good guide for setting it up offhand.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Yeah, Advanced Combat Tracker is the only parser. You'll also want an overlay plug in because the default mini-parse looks awful.

This will walk you through the steps to set everything up.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Blast of Confetti posted:

Is there a rule of thumb for who I should be tossing cards at on AST? I've been using my gut/picking based on who is the least annoying so far

Tbh I've been thinking of running a dps meter because 10% crit won't help if someone is only using two attacks

It's not a bit deal. Just eyeball what your teammates are doing and don't reward bads with balances. It's only really important in a coordinated group to really sweat the details here.

Balances go to the DPS. Try to guess which DPS is more likely to go off in the next 30 seconds and put it on that one.
Spears go to MNK and BRD since they directly benefit from crit stacking beyond just the increased damage. The increase is pretty low otherwise and this is a good candidate to being thrown into Royal Road/Minor Arcana on sight.
Arrows probably go to the DPS. BLM/SMN get a pretty good quality of life increase, while SAM benefits in ST damage output above and beyond the other melee jobs. RDMs and MCHs probably don't want this due to S.Speed mucking with Mana/Heat math lining up with cooldowns. Arrow'd Monks are the highest form of comedy FFXIV has to offer.
Boles go on whoever's eating damage. Usually this is the tank, and usually it's only useful at the start of big pulls or in some very endgame situations. It is very rare that you'll draw a Bole and it won't immediately be thrown to the Royal Road or Minor Arcana, but stranger things have happened.
Spire goes to whoever's having the most TP issues and the least ability to fix it. This is probably going to be a MNK or WAR but any physical DPS AoE-attacking probably appreciates this.
Ewers. Are. Yours. AST is the casting class with the worst MP problems and part of it is simply how unreliable this card and your cost-reduction abilities are as an AST. If you're doing fine on MP, the pecking order for the other classes is probably something like another AST -> RDM -> SCH -> SMN -> WHM -> PLD -> BRD but in all honestly you'll probably just throw it onto your cohealer unless the RDM is really starting to suck wind late in a fight.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jan 2, 2018

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Rand Brittain posted:

How many nice people named "Inquisitor" have you ever met?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Didn't expect that, that's for sure.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
You should probably use Ewer like you use Spire every time. Which is to say, Royal Road if in 8man and minor arcana otherwise.

Yeah your MP sucks as AST, but you're already a job with lovely personal DPS who's worth is decided on your full party wide Balance uptime. Don't make it worse if you don't have to. The amount of MP return from Ewer is about even to the amount you get from adding 10 seconds to Lucid Dreaming too, which is also something you can do consistently. They even have the same cooldown.

If you're low level though sure use them on yourself I guess. Aoe effect isn't so good in 4mans anyway so you lose of you get it anyway.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
That Ravana music...sure is something.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Kashuno posted:

One of the greatest things in the game is how Ravana's music in the ex fight syncs up perfectly with the mechanics. And one of the greatest tragedies is that since about patch 3.1 ilevel bloat has broken that part of the fight since his phases get pushed too fast.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Ravana ex can be beat synced to level 60 before he even does his ultimate attack.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Kashuno posted:

Unbending Steel is one of the best Primal themes and I will fight you if you say otherwise. :colbert:

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
I do not do enough catposting, so here is my cat; please enjoy her!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Unbending Steel is one of the best Primal themes and I will fight you if you say otherwise. :colbert:

Unbending Steel is definitely up there. I think Rise may be my absolute favorite, though. Nidhogg's not a primal, but I'm a big fan of Freefall & Revenge of the Horde. It really carries with it the scale and grandeur of the battle and the sheer desperation of the dragon at those points in the fight.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 2, 2018

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

Ravana ex can be beat synced to level 60 before he even does his ultimate attack.

Yeah you pretty much have to min ilvl sync it to get the music sync to work.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

I am hella PEEVED posted:

I would do Treasure Maps before relying on Gathering for money. Working the MB is terrible and people in this game unironically believe "I crafted/gathered it so it cost me nothing, anything I sell it for is pure profit! I'll just undercut by 50%, it'll sell faster!" and then blow up markets. Or goons blow up your market. Or one of the classy named 'undercut-you-lol' retainers blows up your market.

I'm sure there's money to be made working mid-level mats that people use to craft furniture/level crafters, but I never had the patience for that.

EDIT:

Actually the new patch might be nice, cause I'm sure the new normal will be to list stacks of 999 or some absurd number, so you might be able to make money selling reasonable stack sizes.

i just laugh when i post something on the mb come back a few days later from having not logged in and the price has dropped by 80% of my original post value.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I just undercut by 10g and sell within minutes

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

FuzzySlippers posted:

Finally reached Heavensward. That whole post ARR period is such an odd experience for an MMO. Some really great moments (several of the trials are the best experiences I've had in the game) and yet diluted with so much filler. I'm sure it was a hell of a thing when it was coming out over patches.

I can see now why they need you to play through it, but taking a knife to it and reducing it by half would do a lot for new players. Pushing quests to side quests and then warning when you complete X quest you will never be able to complete <list> of quests would do so much to highlight the better parts.

Despite some complaining this is the only time in an MMO I'm actually interested to see what happens next in the story.

I think part of it is that 2.1-2.3 were absolutely massive patches, just that the focus wasn't on the story at the time.

2.1 alone gave us Labyrinth of the Ancients, the Wolves' Den, housing, Thornmarch, beast tribe quests, the aesthetician, Pharos Sirius, Haukke Manor Hard, Copperbell Mines Hard, Hildibrand, duty roulette, extreme Garuda, Titan and Ifrit, Ultima Bard Mode, and a whole poo poo ton of UI enhancements and tweaks.

If you watch the trailer videos for each patch, 2.1's trailer is ten minutes long and the story segment is less than sixty seconds.

Another part is that it was kind of expected of MMOs at the time to just kind of... fill time between expansions. And so, we got chocobo perfume before they realized that instead of biding their time they could just write an interesting story.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Holyshoot posted:

i just laugh when i post something on the mb come back a few days later from having not logged in and the price has dropped by 80% of my original post value.

I've only been playing the MB for a month or so now, mostly on raw components. It's been mostly about timing and knowing when to just park poo poo in your inventory. For weeks and weeks materials like various logs would crash from 800/swing to sub 300; however, if you just browse around and do price checks, you can see when the MB is being cleared out by someone (or someones) and ride that. There's no use in trying to arms race someone to 120 gil per rosewood log if someone is buying mahogany logs for 800.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
How about class actions for tanks? I'm guessing Rampart, Provoke and (probably) Low Blow are always on the list, but what about the others?
I was kind of excited for a moment to see we got an AoE taunt in SB, but then i tried thinking about situations where i could've really used that and didn't come up with much. Is it as underwhelming as i think or did they add more encounters in SB where an AoE taunt would be useful?

Shirk seems like a more reliable version of taunting for tank swapping, but that's a pretty narrow use case. Which of the other skills are advisable for casual play?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Provoke and Rampart are indispensable. Shirk is not literally required but incredibly useful for anything with a tank swap. Reprisal is good. Awareness if you're doing O3S or are a WAR who wants to combine it with Raw Intuition. Convalescence is alright. Low Blow is fine filler, Interject if you're somehow the silence bitch, the rest stink.

Just to be pedantic, Shirk isn't a "more reliable version" for tank swapping. You use both. The guy taking it vokes, and then immediately afterward the original guy Shirks the new tank. Huge threat lead, no aggro combo required.

e: or if a swap isn't required, you can be sassy and just give the main tank a big ol threat lead at any time by voking and shirking immediately after. dps combos for days

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Low Blow can be handy in dungeons but you may want to swap it out for trials/raids as a lot of those bosses are immune

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

Shirk lets you generate enmity out of thin air. It is extremely good in every piece of 8 man content.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Man, I forgot how much there is to do in the 2.x stuff. I guess at this point I just take it all for granted. The sprouts feel overwhelmed. The first Labyrinth went about as well as I could hope for. There was Bone Zone, there was an Ancient Flare wipe, someone pulled the Atomos too early (because the pull range is like 3 steps over the gate) and screwed it up, and one sprout got completely dunked on by Behemoth.

Also MCH is a weird class to level, but I like the finger gun emote, so I'm keeping it around.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

For 8 mans you are going to want Provoke, Rampart, Shirk and Reprisal always with the last slot for either Convalescence or Awareness, depending on the fight. Awareness for fights with guaranteed crit mechanics (O3S and Shinryu EX) or movement heavy fights as a WAR and Convalescence for everything else. For 4 mans you can replace Reprisal with Low Blow and Shirk with Anticipation or use both Awareness and Convalescence as a WAR but you gain so little out of it that I don't bother.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

World War Mammories posted:

Provoke and Rampart are indispensable. Shirk is not literally required but incredibly useful for anything with a tank swap. Reprisal is good. Awareness if you're doing O3S or are a WAR who wants to combine it with Raw Intuition. Convalescence is alright. Low Blow is fine filler, Interject if you're somehow the silence bitch, the rest stink.

Just to be pedantic, Shirk isn't a "more reliable version" for tank swapping. You use both. The guy taking it vokes, and then immediately afterward the original guy Shirks the new tank. Huge threat lead, no aggro combo required.

e: or if a swap isn't required, you can be sassy and just give the main tank a big ol threat lead at any time by voking and shirking immediately after. dps combos for days

Shirk is absolutely required. Just watch any Drak Stormblood video. :v:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I started as a Dark Knight and I now hate all DPS ever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

I started as a Dark Knight and I now hate all DPS ever.

That is the fuel source that powers a Dark Knight so good.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
Doing SB 4.1 has given me the most shocking revelation yet: Qiquirn is pronounced "Kek-urn," not "kii-kearn."

It's really funny that Lyse managed to somehow convince the spoken flesh eating rats of the Peaks, and that the representative is more cordial than the Quelayna. Which was a cool single Duty to do too.

I'd really, really like to know what the hell that rat dude even wanted at the summit. Or how Fordola is demonized, but the Qiquirn kidnapping a guy(?) to eat them is already forgotten by the Ala Gannha rep.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, why do drk’s hate dps? I thought it was holy-spamming whms they didn’t get along with (which is unfortunate, as that is the correct way to play whm)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Rastan Beeza posted:

Doing SB 4.1 has given me the most shocking revelation yet: Qiquirn is pronounced "Kek-urn," not "kii-kearn."

Give the Qiqirn their own Primal, Square.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

Wait, why do drk’s hate dps? I thought it was holy-spamming whms they didn’t get along with (which is unfortunate, as that is the correct way to play whm)

I think you’re double-confused. WHM+DRK is insanely good.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Die Sexmonster! posted:

I think you’re double-confused. WHM+DRK is insanely good.

WHM + any tank is insanely good, the problem with + DRK is that more often than not, the WHM will start Holying just right after the DRK has made the decision that the WHM probably isn't going to start dropping Holy yet, so I can get hit and regain some MP, welp, there goes that stun, guess I just wasted Blood Price.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I am way happier when I get a healer that actually DPSes than I am annoyed that a WHM will occasionally make me waste 2400 MP on a TBN that doesn't break.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

WHM + any tank is insanely good, the problem with + DRK is that more often than not, the WHM will start Holying just right after the DRK has made the decision that the WHM probably isn't going to start dropping Holy yet, so I can get hit and regain some MP, welp, there goes that stun, guess I just wasted Blood Price.

Yeah that’s what I was referring to. Though I don’t play drk much so I don’t know how much of an issue it really is

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am one job away from finishing everything to 70 and I will be so glad when I never have to play anything but healer again because let me tell you there is nothing more frustrating than watching a healer not DPS.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

I am one job away from finishing everything to 70 and I will be so glad when I never have to play anything but healer again because let me tell you there is nothing more frustrating than watching a healer not DPS.

There is; it’s watching a blm cast nothing but fire/blizzard 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Ainsley McTree posted:

There is; it’s watching a blm cast nothing but fire/blizzard 3