Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I like the Buffalo over IP system. BOIP is the future.
The preferred nomenclature is BuffalOver IP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Knormal posted:

The preferred nomenclature is BuffalOver IP.

It's all BBBoE (Buffalo Buffaloing Buffalo over Ethernet) on the backend.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Can you confirm how much grazing land I will need for BuffaloPower over Ethernet? I really want this phone system but am concerned I wont have enough feed to support it.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Inspector_666 posted:

It's all BbBbbbBboE (Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo over Ethernet) on the backend.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

:golfclap:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Can you confirm how much grazing land I will need for BuffaloPower over Ethernet? I really want this phone system but am concerned I wont have enough feed to support it.

Set up alerts as tragedy of the commons applies at 95% capacity

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
You hunted 3TB worth of meat!

You can only carry 5MB!

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Re: A buffalo came in

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

You can only carry 5MB!

:golfclap:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Inspector_666 posted:

You can only carry 5MB!

:vince:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

You can only carry 5MB!

:effort:

Jaco
Aug 14, 2005

quote:

The phone number on our booking summaries has been changed, it's wrong and not a valid number. PLEASE FIX ASAP

That office sends about a hundred of these a day to their clients, and the phone number is the only point of contact on them, so I got onto it.

It'd been wrong since August. August, 2007.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

larchesdanrew posted:

:ssh:

I don't want to jinx it. But I do plan on giving my notice within the month. In the meantime, I gotta figure out a memorable way to do it. I'm thinking something with a buffalo.

Please tell me that when you leave you will stay in contact work some poor soul that is still working there so we can hear about the fallout.

Also, what ever happened to Dicktramas old work. Did his replacement give up?

Hoopaloops
Oct 21, 2005

Migishu posted:

Random discussion at work about racism:

Coworker: I'm filipino man, I'm not asian!
Me: If you're not asian, what are you?
CW: I'm Middle-east-asian?
Me: So what's the difference?
CW: We don't have the chinky-eyes!

:stare:

Way late on this one but that has to be a filipino thing. We have a filipino senior marketing executive who stopped a meeting cold because they accused our creative team of sketching a headshot for a profile page mock-up with "chinky-eyes". The team of mostly caucasians had no idea what to say until the executive laughed and told the group to continue.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

"However, this filled up the NAS and now it's dead just like a real buffalo".

fixed

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Hoopaloops posted:

Way late on this one but that has to be a filipino thing. We have a filipino senior marketing executive who stopped a meeting cold because they accused our creative team of sketching a headshot for a profile page mock-up with "chinky-eyes". The team of mostly caucasians had no idea what to say until the executive laughed and told the group to continue.

Filipinos do not hold Chinese in high regard because the Chinese have a long, sordid history of treating Filipinos like poo poo. And I say this as a half-Chinese who has seen the crap Filipinos are put through working for relatives in Hong Kong.

My brother got into a fight with a Filipino in high school when the kid called him a chink and told him to "go eat some rice". We were both like, "What the gently caress? You're Asian too, dude!".

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

haha drat

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
I love the turn this thread has taken

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Please make #5: "5. VOIP $Doesn'tConcernYou"

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

:five:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Dillbag posted:

Filipinos do not hold Chinese in high regard because the Chinese have a long, sordid history of treating Filipinos like poo poo. And I say this as a half-Chinese who has seen the crap Filipinos are put through working for relatives in Hong Kong.

My brother got into a fight with a Filipino in high school when the kid called him a chink and told him to "go eat some rice". We were both like, "What the gently caress? You're Asian too, dude!".

My old roommate was half filipino, and the only time he will admit that he is asian is when it will get him laid. Them Flips REALLY hates them some asianses.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

18 Character Limit posted:

Please make #5: "5. VOIP $Doesn'tConcernYou"

That'd be a great product tagline - "Buffalo BOIP - Unbox & power up, the rest doesn't concern you"

E: BLAST FROM THE PAST

larchesdanrew posted:

Told supervisor to get our TigerDirect rep to quote a Z-series workstation so I can submit for budget approval.

:downs: Who needs that?
:v: Promotions
:downs: It's not in the budget.
:v: [GM] already approved it.
:downs: Well I haven't.
:v: That shouldn't matter. You don't approve the budget for other departments.
:downs: Yes I do. Besides, a z-series isn't any better than something we could build. The other Z-series we have in weather aren't anything special.
:v: They've been running, problem free, for over 4 years. The one time we had an issue, HP replaced the component overnight. They aren't anything special because they're four years old and designed for building Weather rundowns.
:downs: I may have $700 for an editor budgeted for 3rd quarter. We'll just see what we can throw together from an older editor.
:suicide:

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 22, 2015

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Good job, Office 365 Migration Team: I am genuinely impressed that you successfully migrated my Outlook calendar and personal contacts to the cloud without losing anything.

I am even more impressed that my network folder is there and all the folder structure remains intact.

Of course, it would have been nice if any of the files within those folders were uploaded, but that's just me being picky.

Tigern
Sep 6, 2012

possibly tiger
Grimey Drawer

Fastest IT in the wooorld

EDIT: Just though about this. Why is this guy going at such a fast speed when all the errors are flying by? Should he stand still?

Tigern fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 22, 2015

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

CE General Supplies should probably be "Tiger Direct"

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Now THAT'S an ETHERBLAST!

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Something I think all of us in IT can relate to (or have at some point)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-FThhU76fM

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gothmog1065 posted:

"We didn't have wifi back in my day. If we wanted data in another room, we carried the packets, by hand, uphill both ways in the snow."

My father used to deploy patches by chucking some tape reels into the back of his SAAB 96 and hand-delivering them around the country because sending them via the phone network (the only network) would have cost a lot more than a COBOL developer's salary plus km reimbursement. And it would have been slower as well since all the customers were within a 500 km radius.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

pr0digal posted:

The anecdote about the bandwidth of a car full of tapes? He literally did it, though it was a bit slower with a horse and buggy.

Also he only had simplex ethernet, uphill both ways in the snow :aaaaa:

I believe it was really common herr, especially back when phone lines were mostly copper installed when we still had a Grand Duke. (The guy who connected my ADSL line said he had to break into a box where the lock had an obviously hand-forged hasp. Yay living outside the public network.)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Jerry Cotton posted:

I believe it was really common herr, especially back when phone lines were mostly copper installed when we still had a Grand Duke. (The guy who connected my ADSL line said he had to break into a box where the lock had an obviously hand-forged hasp. Yay living outside the public network.)

In high school when everyone had G3s but our network wiring was still shielded very poorly it was more reliable to send a freshman running across the building with a Zip Disk then try and share a folder and download it at the destination.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
The "tapes in the back of a station wagon hurtling down the freeway" still holds. LTE tapes hold a poo poo-ton of data, and you can fit a lot into the trunk of a Volvo V70.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Crowley posted:

The "tapes in the back of a station wagon hurtling down the freeway" still holds. LTE tapes hold a poo poo-ton of data, and you can fit a lot into the trunk of a Volvo V70.

Roughly 11 uncompressed petabytes fit on the trunk of a 2005 V70. (Assuming optimal fit and full tapes)

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

deimos posted:

Roughly 11 uncompressed petabytes fit on the trunk of a 2005 V70. (Assuming optimal fit and full tapes)

thats a bunch of anime

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Relevant:
https://what-if.xkcd.com/31/

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

deimos posted:

What type of tapes are you using? LTO-6? 7?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Crowley posted:

What type of tapes are you using? LTO-6? 7?

LTO-6, sticking with the now. It's a straight multiplication unless the physical dimensions change for LTO-7.

deimos fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 22, 2015

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Larches! We simply must hear about the next time you saw CE after the elevator doors closed.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

MrMojok posted:

Larches! We simply must hear about the next time you saw CE after the elevator doors closed.

:downs: "So, I'm an rear end in a top hat, huh?"
:v: "Pretty much."
:downs: "Hmm"

And that was the end of it.

I wonder if I could pull a George Costanza and just keep trying as hard as I can to get fired but keep getting promoted, instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Every day is Ted's interview

• Locked thread