Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
One of our clients has their video equipment on a separate network from the rest of the company. Which would be fine if they had any wireless routers hooked up to it...but they don't. I've been stealing the network cable from a spare machine to do my work but pretty soon they're not going to have any spare machines.

Time to start carrying a wireless router and a little dumb switch in my bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

pr0digal posted:

One of our clients has their video equipment on a separate network from the rest of the company. Which would be fine if they had any wireless routers hooked up to it...but they don't. I've been stealing the network cable from a spare machine to do my work but pretty soon they're not going to have any spare machines.

Consider an access point instead of a router. Rouge DHCP servers are a bitch. If you don't have an access point, make double-triple sure that the router you bring doesn't re-enable DHCP on a power cycle (gently caress linksys forever).

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

pr0digal posted:

Get a wifi bridge and set it up to pair with your laptop's ad hoc network. The one I have automatically reconnects so you'd just have plug it in (it's a Netgear WNCE3001).

I use it as a third leg of a load balanced router just in case the other 2 connections fail (flooding in the area tends to knock down poo poo), it connects to a LTE Hotspot and it's fairly stable.

deimos fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 20, 2015

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

RyuHimora posted:

Consider an access point instead of a router. Rouge DHCP servers are a bitch. If you don't have an access point, make double-triple sure that the router you bring doesn't re-enable DHCP on a power cycle (gently caress linksys forever).

Pretty sure my Meraki plays nice with existing DHCP, I'm 90% sure I can put it in bridge mode and it will not interfere with anything.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 20, 2015

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

alg posted:

Wizgonzin is a terrible frozen wasteland 6 months a year. As a former Michigoon it would be a tough sell moving there.

This is funny to me because WI is one of the few places I could easily imagine going. Milwaukee's a great town and while Madison is too small a job market for my comfort, I head good things about the quality of life there.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

If you have some Cisco certs, there are various Madison companies that would pay you bank.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

This is funny to me because WI is one of the few places I could easily imagine going. Milwaukee's a great town and while Madison is too small a job market for my comfort, I head good things about the quality of life there.

Once you live with sunshine it's a really tough sell going back to the midwest.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

alg posted:

Once you live with sunshine it's a really tough sell going back to the midwest.

Northeast for life :c00lbert:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

RyuHimora posted:

Rouge DHCP servers are a bitch.

Mascara DHCP servers are a lot worse, getting IP addresses all in your eyes and poo poo.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Potato Alley posted:

Mascara DHCP servers are a lot worse, getting IP addresses all in your eyes and poo poo.

It's usually DNS mascara issues more than DHCP though.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

GreenNight posted:

If you have some Cisco certs, there are various Madison companies that would pay you bank.

Which certs and what companies?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Which certs and what companies?

I know for a fact that Netech, Paragon Development Systems and Core are hiring Cisco engineers. I couldn't tell you which certs since I don't work for any of those companies, but they are definitely hiring. We have a relationship with each and hear about it through our sales rep.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

larchesdanrew posted:

I stared at him as the elevator doors began to close. Before they totally shut, I announced, "You're an rear end in a top hat, [supervisor]."

His eyes widening was the last thing I saw.
Be sure you tell us what came of this later.

Also, if you're still there when the install starts, make sure you can't help because you don't know anything about it. After all, it doesn't concern you.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

vibur posted:

Be sure you tell us what came of this later.

Also, if you're still there when the install starts, make sure you can't help because you don't know anything about it. After all, it doesn't concern you.

Yes, but does he have this in writing. The supervisor could just lie and say he knew all about it and should be able to fix any issues that come up.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

larchesdanrew posted:

:downs: "I'll be in a meeting for a while."
:v: "With who?"
:downs: "The company putting in our VOIP system."
:v: "We're getting a VOIP system?"
:downs: "Yeah."
:v: "You think I ought to be a part of the meeting?"
:downs: "No."
:v: "Let me guess, it doesn't concern me?"
:downs: "No, it doesn't."
:v: "It doesn't concern me, the IT department, the guy who will be installing all these things. I have absolutely nothing to glean from these talks?"
:downs: "Pretty much."

I stared at him as the elevator doors began to close. Before they totally shut, I announced, "You're an rear end in a top hat, [supervisor]."

His eyes widening was the last thing I saw.

Did I mention that in the next month, we're apparently going to have nine employees putting in their resignations due to the attitudes of the GM and CE?

I'm the ninth :yotj:

So take
Your broken wings
And learn to fly again, away from your CE...

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

larchesdanrew posted:

I didn't even have to use my AK. I got to say it was a good day.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Even saw the lights of the Goodyear Blimp, and it read larchesdanrew's a pimp

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Put in his notice and he's coastin'
SA postin', gonna watch CE and GM get roasted

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

larchesdanrew posted:

I don't believe it

No, really, I actually do not believe you.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Slanderer posted:

I don't believe it

C'mon, let him have it. Delusional or not, it doesn't mean you get to be rude

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Slanderer posted:

I don't believe it

I'm just curious as whether CE tried to take larches out back for a talkin' to, or if he's just taking the chicken-poo poo route and pretending it didn't happen all the while plotting his passive-aggressive revenge.

And larches, by "I'm the ninth" does that mean you actually gave notice or are planning to?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Larches, I thought there was no other gig in town?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

flosofl posted:

And larches, by "I'm the ninth" does that mean you actually gave notice or are planning to?

:ssh:

I don't want to jinx it. But I do plan on giving my notice within the month. In the meantime, I gotta figure out a memorable way to do it. I'm thinking something with a buffalo.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

larchesdanrew posted:

I don't want to jinx it. But I do plan on giving my notice within the month. In the meantime, I gotta figure out a memorable way to do it. I'm thinking something with a buffalo.

Someone with photoshop skills: make a fake advertisement for Buffalo VOIP devices.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

Eh it would be better just to get a new job and stop showing up. gently caress 'em.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Potato Salad posted:

Larches, I thought there was no other gig in town?

I seemed to have forgotten that businesses here rarely advertise openings. I spent over a week calling every business in town.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

larchesdanrew posted:

Put a pile of Buffalo turds in a NAS box?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

Put a pile of Buffalo turds in a NAS box?

Fill all his ancient, decrepit basement equipment with buffalo poo poo and liberally sprinkle deer piss all over it

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

But the thread needs a guy on the inside to document the inevitable spectacular collapse! Or at the very least after you've gone, tell us which youtubes of News Fails to watch.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

Someone with photoshop skills: make a fake advertisement for Buffalo VOIP devices.

Ask and ye shall receive! (not my best work but hey)

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ozz81 posted:

I think this may be too high of quality to be believable.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
It amuses me that the image implies that only one of those phones is saving data to that database. Is this par for the course for Buffalo products?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

I forgot about Larches CE having the whole "recycle EVERYTHING" mentality

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Today my old Account Manager messaged me to tell me a story about one of the problem clients from the old company and boy howdy did it remind me why I left!

oTHi posted:

It amuses me that the image implies that only one of those phones is saving data to that database. Is this par for the course for Buffalo products?

I took it to mean the phone was handling the backup for the server.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

I took it to mean the phone was handling the backup for the server.

Dial "B" for Buffalo

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Ozz81 posted:

This is spectacular.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

This thread never lets me down. I love you guys.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Hooves all the way down

Replaced with the correct image

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 21, 2015

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ozz81 posted:

It needs to back up to a Buffalo NAS bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

pr0digal posted:

Hooves all the way down

Change the backup icon to a Buffalo NAS. They're cheaper and only get into trouble when they get 98% full.

EDIT: f;b :argh:

• Locked thread