Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Goddamn.

I am reminded of how Spock gladly joins in the hippies' jam session with his Vulcan harp thingy (I think) and wondered if music is basically the only acceptable means of public emotional expression among Vulcans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
(((ferengi)))

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Vulcans have to be biologically different than humans emotionally, because when humans try to repress emotions like that, in most cases they eventually snap, go totally insane and shoot up a school or something.

Of course, Vulcans do flip out and go insane every seven years when they have to mate, which is probably the least surprising thing ever.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gammatron 64 posted:

Vulcans have to be biologically different than humans emotionally, because when humans try to repress emotions like that, in most cases they eventually snap, go totally insane and shoot up a school or something.

Of course, Vulcans do flip out and go insane every seven years when they have to mate, which is probably the least surprising thing ever.

Well Vulcans learn from childhood how to do this and have to meditate regularly and play really boring games and eat boring food and do a bunch of other poo poo. Plus most Vulcans we see are like 80+ years old and already very accomplished individuals.

I think they might actually be worse at it than humans, and when they snap they have super strength and vague psychic powers and poo poo so it's real bad.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Well Vulcans learn from childhood how to do this and have to meditate regularly and play really boring games and eat boring food and do a bunch of other poo poo. Plus most Vulcans we see are like 80+ years old and already very accomplished individuals.

I think they might actually be worse at it than humans, and when they snap they have super strength and vague psychic powers and poo poo so it's real bad.

Well, Bones did say that the Vulcans' wars made World War II look like a schoolyard brawl.

The reason why Vulcans buried their emotions in the first place is because they used to be really, really violent. Although you'd think that would actually make things worse, because people who bottle up their emotions tend to eventually explode. If Vulcans going nuts and killing people was a common occurrence, you'd think they'd have trouble hiding it. But then again, nobody seemed to know about Pon Farr in TOS. And nobody knew that Vulcans and Romulans were once the same species.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Delsaber posted:

Every now and then Vulcan school kids get the TV cart rolled into their classrooms and have to watch videos about nocturnal emotions.

"You see Timmy-ruk was sick, not with Vulcan flu but a sickness of the mind. Timmy-ruk was a Pathosexual."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Well, Vulcans do kind of explode emotionally on occasion and basically Hulk out. It's mentioned that a Vulcan unrestrained can be more violent than a Klingon.

Their brains don't work like humans, though, that's made pretty clear.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
One of the things I most liked about the JJtreks were that they reinforced the "angry Vulcans are basically murdermonsters and we should be thankful that they keep that poo poo on lock" moments.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I feel like the (proto)federation was worse off, but Vulcans were actually better off, when they were secretly being run by a Romulan before they rediscovered the teachings of Surek. They were bigger dicks but seemed to have less dumb poo poo going on societally.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sometimes vulcans just become calm serial killing snipers.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Did that episode come out before Perfect Dark or did some writer play the N64 game and suddenly have an idea?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Did that episode come out before Perfect Dark or did some writer play the N64 game and suddenly have an idea?

Perfect Dark came out a year after that episode, but the Arnold Schwarzeneggar movie Eraser with essentially the same weapon came out in 1996.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

My favorite thing about Voyager is how Tuvok has a holodeck program where he strangles Neelix to death to blow off steam.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Gammatron 64 posted:

My favorite thing about Voyager is how Tuvok has a holodeck program where he strangles Neelix to death to blow off steam.

:same:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I always assumed that was a public program open to any member of the crew.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Gammatron 64 posted:

I would think every Voyager crew member uses that program

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

I would think every Voyager crew member uses that program

Especially Kes, but especially Neelix

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I didn't watch Voyager when it was airing (I think I bailed really early) but I caught up with some of what were considered the 'best' episodes later. Was "Equinox" the Voyager episode where they run into the rogue Star Trek ship doing everything wrong, and Janeway beats them because ugh Voyager is trash?

I seem to remember not being alone in thinking "I'd rather see a show about that Equinox ship, a Federation ship that gets in a bad place and has a morally grey outlook as they have to start dealing with reality." I think Star Trek Discovery may be that show.

I also seem to remember some people saying they wanted a Section 31 show. Well...

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Morally grey my rear end, they were murdering sentient life forms for warp speed nitrous oxide

Janeway was nuts but most of the Equinox crew were just bastards

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

The delta quadrant was a hosed up place, a devestated post-borg apocalypse. You do what you have to do to survive. Voyager only made it out because of Chakotay's native magic tattoo gods who protected the ship from the quadrant and Janeway herself.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The two parter is decent, but it's dragged down by Janeway going off the rails and suffering no consequences for her almost letting another officer die that she put in danger on purpose

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

ashpanash posted:

The delta quadrant was a hosed up place, a devestated post-borg apocalypse

Wow I wish this was in the show.

Neelix as a scheming (yet loveable) trader, Seven as a broken, vibrant personality yearning to break free of her Borg shackles, Chakotay with any character at all... the works!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

The two parter is decent, but it's dragged down by Janeway going off the rails and suffering no consequences for her almost letting another officer die that she put in danger on purpose

It's also kind of meta in that it draws attention to the fact that Voyager had been puttering along in TNG-lite mode for it's entire run without so much as any stains in the carpet (I think at one point Janeway remarks how the ship's commissioning plaque had never been knocked down before) and now whoops here comes this other Federation ship in the same circumstances and they got blown to poo poo whooooaaaa

Like I think the whole push for "grimmer! darker! morally questionable characters making harrrd choices" has a lot to do with how bland shows like Voyager were or had become. I mean a lot of BSG was basically Ron Moore's answer to Voyager never being allowed to really grow into it's premise, but even within the confines of BSG where the sadsack stuff was baked right into the setting, it got old pretty quick as the overarching story was typically far more compelling

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Kate Mulgrew and Robert Picardo really are the only actors that carry most of what's watchable in Voyager. Tim Russ in some cases too.

That being said I'm also one of those heretics that really likes The Killing Game, absurdities and all.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Kazinsal posted:

Kate Mulgrew and Robert Picardo really are the only actors that carry most of what's watchable in Voyager. Tim Russ in some cases too.

That being said I'm also one of those heretics that really likes The Killing Game, absurdities and all.

I hear Picardo loves it when you say that.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

McNally posted:

I hear Picardo loves it when you say that.

[picardo annoyed at convention table dot jay peg]

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Romulan society seems a lot better than Vulcan society.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Jeri Ryan did well with what she was given.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shibawanko posted:

Romulan society seems a lot better than Vulcan society.

Given that you can obviously just choose to leave Vulcan society and given the existence of the Federation I don't think I'd prefer to have been born a Romulan than a Vulcan.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Some nerd on Reddit posted an eloquent take down of Discovery so far, which I found pretty worth reading and put into words some of my feelings of it all.

Some nerd posted:

Personally, I'd probably like the show more if it weren't called "Star Trek" or in any way associated with the franchise. After all, the production value is through the roof, it looks fantastic, it's cast well, the acting is excellent, etc. But it's just not Trek. I don't have any problem with it being grim or dark, either. DS9 was certainly him and dark-- sometimes very dark. Hell, they took The Federation to war. Sisko, himself, started it even.

But the difference is how DS9 (and Trek, generally) treated the grim and the dark, how the characters reacted to it, and how they dealt with its consequences... how they got out of it. Or how they had to live with them. Upon the conclusion of the Battle of Cardassia Prime, when Adm. Ross, Capt. Sisko, and Chancellor Martok are standing in the ruins of the Capitol City, ready to drink a victorious mug of blood wine over the dead, Ross and Sisko pour theirs out onto the ground in disgust. (edit: a year before, the three had promised to do this, but when the time came, Ross and Sisko found they just couldn't bring themselves to do it).

Martok: Before you waste too many tears, remember, these are Cardassians lying dead at your feet. Bajorans would call this 'poetic justice'.

Sisko: That doesn't mean I have to drink a toast over their bodies.

Martok: Human-PaH. Ka DiJaQ. (Human creatures. Who would understand them?)

How, during the signing of the Peace Treaty between The Federation, The Klingon and Roman Star Empires, The Cardassian Union, and The Dominion, Adm. Ross (somewhat mis-)quotes Gen. Patton's MacArthur's end-of-WWII speech:

Today the guns are silent. A great tragedy has ended. We have known the bitterness of defeat and the exultation of triumph. From both we have learned there can be no going back. We must move forward to preserve in peace what we've won in war.

These are all things that exemplify the best of humanity, the best of us shining through, even in the worst of situations. Knowing that, no matter how terrible things could come to be, we won't lose what makes us human. But in Discovery, we have them violating the Prime Directive giddily in the first few minutes (and patting themselves on the back for it as they rationalize their crime), and that's just the start fo the show. It just goes downhill from there.

Obviously, CBS just made whatever show they wanted to make, and then slapped "Trek" insignia all over it, threw in a few Trek references here and there, jammed Serek in there in the most illogical way possible, stuck a Tribble on Capt. Evil McTwo-Face's desk (now I know why they cast Lucious Malfoy-- a little on the nose, eh?), gave the ship's AI no concept of logic or morality in letting a mutineer out of the brig to run around the ship during a critical battle (which she instigated), and called it a day.

What the gently caress is this supposed to be? Whatever it is, it is so far away from anything Trek has ever been, it's offensive. THAT is why so many people are pissed. It's not the look, it's not the Klingons (which, honestly, multi-racial aliens is pretty cool), it's not even the updated tech. Not really. It's that, despite all of that, this isn't the feel of Trek. This isn't the trek universe of humanity having "grown out of its infancy," to quote Picard. It's some CBS producer's fevered coke dream, greenlit to save a failing and lovely streaming service. The main character is an unlikable jackass who keeps making every stupid decision she could possibly make, everyone else is either extremely distrustful and mean, or is shady, duplicitous, and also a huge loving rear end in a top hat. We have Starfleet ships engaged in shady-rear end poo poo, seemly as a matter of course rather than an "OMG HOW DARE YOU DIRTY STARFLEET'S REPUTATION" sort of thing, and don't even get me started on the whole "mushroom drive" ridiculousness.

And the real insult here is it's yet another prequel. Why? WHY?? There's no new stories here to tell, only much-revered canon to gently caress up. Why no create a new series set 20-30 years after ST:Nemesis? All this fancy future tech and high-budget special effects would make so much more sense set in that timeframe, and nobody would complain about continuity with established canon. We could finally get new characters, new ships, NEW canon, and nobody would complain about a thing.

But no. CBS had to gently caress it up as hard as they could. And, bravo. They succeeded.

edit: two things:

1) I want to say it again: if you stripped all of the 'Trek' association from this show (the name, The Federation, Starfleet, the characters like Sarek, etc.) and called it something else, I'd probably like it-- although I still don't like Michael Burnam. That character has serious problems. But Trek is supposed to be a certain way that this show isn't.

2) I like that they're finally making multi-racial aliens. In trek, probably due to budget constraints, all aliens looked like each other. All Vulcans looked the same, all Klingons, etc. In DSC, we can obviously see the Klingons as having several races. This is pretty cool.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Let me rephrase: it seems a lot cooler.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I don't understand all the "if you took the Star Trek stuff out, I'd probably like it!" comments. If you take out all the Star Trek bits (as fluffy and inconsequential as most of it's been so far in this show) out what you're left with is a more expensive and less impressive version of The Expanse, without most of the hooks that made that show interesting.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Eh.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

jeeves posted:

Some nerd on Reddit posted an eloquent take down of Discovery so far, which I found pretty worth reading and put into words some of my feelings of it all.

That's basically exactly what I said, so in other words, he's going to get downvoted into oblivion

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd downvote for "capitol"

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

As somewhat ambivalent I am about Discovery I cannot take anyone seriously who says "not what Trek is" and definitely not when they think the Prime Directive is a good thing that must be followed at all times when its basically the antagonist in half the episodes where its a focus (as in "How can we do X without getting into too much trouble?"). No matter how eloquent they are. The Prime Directive this is just the nerd in me though so never mind that.

Sometimes it seems like a lot of people think the first two seasons of TNG were are what Trek "is" when what the first two seasons of TNG actually were for the most part are boring and pretentious morality plays where the enlightened super-people from space went to the Planet of the Week to teach the dunces (ie. us, the people watching the show) a lesson. The best episodes of Trek were always the opposite of that.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I dunno why he'd bring up multi racial aliens as if that's some new Discovery poo poo, Worf and Tuvok were pretty deliberate moves in this direction.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Tighclops posted:

I don't understand all the "if you took the Star Trek stuff out, I'd probably like it!" comments. If you take out all the Star Trek bits (as fluffy and inconsequential as most of it's been so far in this show) out what you're left with is a more expensive and less impressive version of The Expanse, without most of the hooks that made that show interesting.

Agreed, STD is garbage in multiple ways.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Does the holodeck provide a soundtrack? Can Picard hear the saxophone playing in the background?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

skasion posted:

I dunno why he'd bring up multi racial aliens as if that's some new Discovery poo poo, Worf and Tuvok were pretty deliberate moves in this direction.
I can give Worf a partial pass because a lot of people don't seem to realize that Michael Dorn is black, perhaps because they are stupid, but Tuvok was also extremely black while also extremely Vulcan. Every species without extensive makeup seems to be explicitly multiracial in Trek.