Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

the point of the "literal toilet" stuff is that there's no universal consensus on what is or isnt art, and the best way to express this is to sell a toilet to some rich dumbass for 1000000000 dollars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
The floor was a mirror reflecting in reverse the parable of the ceiling. The same vandal-possibly Gaben-had painted on it in red letters: GAMES ARE LAME.
This is a deep cut but if anyone appreciates the reference it will be well worth the effort.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

fridge corn posted:

My argument is ppl who insist on extolling the artistic virtues of video games often haven't interacted with fine art on a meaningful level because if they had then they'd realise that the artistic merits of video games are mundane and juvenile

Nobody misunderstood your douchey point.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Of course videogames are art, they are a form of expression in the way any piece of music or film or even some moments in sport can be called art.

Art is such a broad and useless term though

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

Lol this guy thinks book are art

100 years ago the same argument was happening about photography but I think it's safe to say that the "photography can't be art" crew has not been vindicated by history

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

videogames are at least 20 x more art than photography, if not more

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Video games are at least better than that banana taped to the wall.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
in the video game version you can buy a DLC that replaces the banana with a plantain for $5. you can also unlock the golden tape by opening at least 200 $1.75 "banana crates"

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Maya Fey posted:

the point of the "literal toilet" stuff is that there's no universal consensus on what is or isnt art, and the best way to express this is to exploit this and launder money by pretending to sell a toilet to some rich dumbass for 1000000000 dollars

Fixed.

Rutibex posted:

in the video game version you can buy a DLC that replaces the banana with a plantain for $5. you can also unlock the golden tape by opening at least 200 $1.75 "banana crates"

If you pre purchased the super special pack for an extra million theres a speaker that plays the "pooh, banana" sound effect from dk64.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The banana armor dlc is unironically really good

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Maya Fey posted:

videogames are at least 20 x more art than photography, if not more

Where do video games with a photo mode fall in this?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Books will never be art

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Fine art DLC is going to be huge in 2020

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
my current minecraft house has a room in it just for paintings. is that art

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I will now play video games as performance art. Please buy tickets to my one man show entitled " Staring Into the Void: A Man Throwing Tantrums in Call Of Duty"

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I will now play video games as performance art. Please buy tickets to my one man show entitled " Staring Into the Void: A Man Throwing Tantrums in Call Of Duty"

This kind of art pays really well if you do it right. Better than paintings of fruit or whatever

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

case in point: pewdiepie pretended to be terrified of the slenderman game and now he's worth 8 figures

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

ChazTurbo posted:

Here's a hot take. MMOs are a boring genre for boring people.

Edit:Also looter shooters

I can’t stand either. I remember trying the first Borderlands and was trying to take in the setting and mechanics and some guy from this forum kept screaming at me because I wasn’t min-maxing correctly or something.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â

Disco Pope posted:

I can’t stand either. I remember trying the first Borderlands and was trying to take in the setting and mechanics and some guy from this forum kept screaming at me because I wasn’t min-maxing correctly or something.

You haven't truly been Online until a stranger is digitally screaming at you for not playing a single player game as "optimally" as they have decided you must.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

fridge corn posted:

My argument is ppl who insist on extolling the artistic virtues of video games often haven't interacted with fine art on a meaningful level because if they had then they'd realise that the artistic merits of video games are mundane and juvenile

Are you saying only fine art is art? Show me some video games that were made without artists. They exist, and they’re not pretty.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

DildenAnders posted:

You haven't truly been Online until a stranger is digitally screaming at you for not playing a single player game as "optimally" as they have decided you must.

All art has people acting like they know the right way to enjoy it :smug:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Ruffian Price posted:

All art has people acting like they know the right way to enjoy it :smug:

The best way to enjoy art is to put an F in front of it and relax in comfort at a job well done

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

FoolyCharged posted:

The best way to enjoy art is to put an F in front of it and relax in comfort at a job well done

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

FoolyCharged posted:

ART IS FART.
I wish there was another fan of Marechara somewhere on these video game opinion forums.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

In the art biz "fart" is just a contraction of "fine art".

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

ghostwritingduck posted:

Are you saying only fine art is art? Show me some video games that were made without artists. They exist, and they’re not pretty.

No, Im not saying video games do not contain art, but it is not high quality art and as such the cognitive and emotional experiences had while playing video games are not of a high quality either.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That's a really dumb opinion even for you.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

fridge corn posted:

No, Im not saying video games do not contain art, but it is not high quality art and as such the cognitive and emotional experiences had while playing video games are not of a high quality either.

how exactly do you quantify a "high quality" cognitive experience

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

art, for the most part, is terrible, there is literally no bar of quality or even any bar of success

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Shut up, shut up, shut up

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

At times like these, when the thread is hung up arguing about dumb poo poo, I like to try to get us back on track with a solid unpopular video game opinion, so here it goes:

The Witcher games aren't very good.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The Witcher 3 is a prime example of great art and writing overcoming weak but not egregious gameplay

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

poverty goat posted:

The Witcher 3 is a prime example of great art and writing overcoming weak but not egregious gameplay

also a prime example of unicorn banging a hot witch

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The presentation is also "classy" as imagined by a 15 year-old boy so that goes a very very long way in the market

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

fridge corn posted:

literally only anyone who has not interacted with art on any level except cargo-culting would be so loving dumb as to assert there’s no room for the mundane and juvenile in the ephemeral sphere of “art”, the last several thousand years of culture and history be damned

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

At times like these, when the thread is hung up arguing about dumb poo poo, I like to try to get us back on track with a solid unpopular video game opinion, so here it goes:

The Witcher games aren't very good.

ahem Not only is Borderlands a consistently fun franchise, it's considerably better solo.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Bloodborne is great but the people that don't notice the insane frame pacing issues it has have something wrong with their brains

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

ChazTurbo posted:

Bloodborne is great but the people that don't notice the insane frame pacing issues it has have something wrong with their brains

Had the same problem with PS4 Sekiro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

fridge corn posted:

Ah yes, unlike the hilariously vague example you gave "books"

Tell me, which is better art, Twilight or Fifty Shades of Grey? It's almost like you're silently comparing standard triple A video games with classic literature while disingenuously pretending most popular books aren't also dreck.