Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Jump attacks and just running behind them for a backstab is the entirety of what you can do without an unparryable weapon. There's also throwing weapons but they don't really do any damage and won't help unless you're honour dueling.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lost my retainer
Oct 28, 2002

Blow me

Cultisto posted:

I didn't know about this weapon at all, will have to go check it out. In all of my PvP'ing I've seen exactly one guy wielding a whip, though he was using it effectively trying to whittle away my last bit of HP when I was low. I found whips fun in DS2, caught many Bell Tower visitors off-guard.

I'm rocking Witch's Locks on my pyro and in PVP most people have NO idea how to deal with the weapon art and panic. It's great.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
It's too bad the Black Knight glaive is ~50 AR lower that the sword. The move set on that thing is very fun, and more importantly, it fits with the eastern set very well.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Rings got a major nerf from DS1->DS2 but it was fine because you got four slots so you had about the same amount of power coming from your rings once you were fully loaded it. Then they got nerfed again in DS3 because ???

Very few rings have been nerfed. Rofap, Havel's, and Chloranthy I guess (though I'd argue Chloranthy was the best in Dks2, at least the +1/+2 variants), with them also just outright removing the DWGR and Hornet (from Dks2). Otherwise the rings were just as good or better, especially some of the new additions.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Fereydun posted:

list good rings in d1/2/3, bitch

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

It's too bad the Black Knight glaive is ~50 AR lower that the sword. The move set on that thing is very fun, and more importantly, it fits with the eastern set very well.

Black Knight Glaive is very good and has plenty of AR.

Einwand posted:

Jump attacks and just running behind them for a backstab is the entirety of what you can do without an unparryable weapon. There's also throwing weapons but they don't really do any damage and won't help unless you're honour dueling.

You can also kick->attack (you even get counter damage!), dead angle, charge R2, reaction attack, use an unparryable weapon art (mostly the spinny ones), attack from outside parry range, or use the clap gesture.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I'm planning to start a new Pyromancy run because it sounds fun, should I start Pyromancer for the Int/Faith + starting with a pyromancy (can't find any before Road of Sacrifices I think?) or Assassin for the Attunement/Dex + Spook?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Oh hey I found a picture of Nashandra, always nice to see more DkS2 references.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
The ar difference doesn't matter against most enemies because it doesn't change the number of hits needed to kill them. The higher damage could help against bosses, but the range and mobility makes it much more flexible and gives openings the sword doesn't.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Another pyromancer here, I started as pyromancer and I'm not really sure where the softcaps are and which stats are the priority. I'm about level 20 and I have 18/18 int/fth. I know the softcap for those is either 30/30 or 40/40. What about dex and att, how much should I end up with if I'm going to, say, level 100, and in what order should I level all of them?

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Insurrectionist posted:

(can't find any before Road of Sacrifices I think?)
You rescue the Pyromancy trainer in the Undead Settlement.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

DS3: Leo, life ring, all the magic rings which is a lot except I guess magic is bad, hornet, prisoner's chain, milk ring. Cloranthy, FAP, & knight slayer all kinda. Maybe red tearstone and the one that boosts your damage at full health? Idk. 4 ring slots, prisoner's chain is mandatory except you can't fit it on a wizard, but wizards are bad.

No one who knows what they are doing is going to wear the Knight Slayer, Tearstones, or Milk Ring.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

I'm planning to start a new Pyromancy run because it sounds fun, should I start Pyromancer for the Int/Faith + starting with a pyromancy (can't find any before Road of Sacrifices I think?) or Assassin for the Attunement/Dex + Spook?

Pyro for its stat spread and actually starting with pyromancy (otherwise you spend the first 1/1.5 hours without any). Dex isn't too useful for casters anyway, since Sage ring counts as +30 dex for the purposes of casting speed.

Monomythian posted:

No one who knows what they are doing is going to wear the Knight Slayer, Tearstones, or Milk Ring.

Those are all good rings. Knight Slayer for ganks since a lot of gankers are dumb and will try to block with mid shields. Both tearstones are fantastic for saving you in a pinch. Milk ring is great for certain build archetypes like assassins.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 10, 2016

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Random Hajile posted:

You rescue the Pyromancy trainer in the Undead Settlement.

Oh yeah, that's right. Well, still 2 bosses in though.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Another pyromancer here, I started as pyromancer and I'm not really sure where the softcaps are and which stats are the priority. I'm about level 20 and I have 18/18 int/fth. I know the softcap for those is either 30/30 or 40/40. What about dex and att, how much should I end up with if I'm going to, say, level 100, and in what order should I level all of them?

I think 40/40 is mostly really late-game stuff, stick to 30/30 then get all your other stats up to par probably. Att gets another slot at 18, 24 and 30 so you probably want to stop at one of those. For Dex, the wiki claims that Sage's ring gives 30/35/40 'extra' Dex for spellcasting at +0/1/2, and 50 is the cap for increased spellcasting speed, so 20 on NG I guess. But you probably just want to stick to whatever your weapon requires and not bother with the last few points, unless you have a 20+ Dex weapon. A couple of Dex short makes no difference.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Genocyber posted:

Pyro for its stat spread and actually starting with pyromancy (otherwise you spend the first 1/1.5 hours without any). Dex isn't too useful for casters anyway, since Sage ring counts as +30 dex for the purposes of casting speed.

Those are all good rings. Knight Slayer for ganks since a lot of gankers are dumb and will try to block with mid shields. Both tearstones are fantastic for saving you in a pinch. Milk ring is great for certain build archetypes like assassins.

I started a really sorcery-focused character and was wondering what to level besides health, attunement and int. Is the dexterity speed bonus worth it on top of the sage's ring, if it will also let me use something like the sage's rapier? I have no idea what to do for weapons but a lot of the ones that do magic damage will need some points in strength or faith I don't really want to spend. Seems like it might be best to just use super low-requirement weapons and then make them simple or crystal, but the speed bonus sounds really attractive.

e: Actually it looks like the invisible dexterity added by the sage's ring counts for the speed cap, so 15 dexterity is the most benefit you can get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1WOTfCc05E

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 10, 2016

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Monomythian posted:

I meant blood ring. If you are playing optimally yes you would always swap to red tearstone.

I admit I don't know what I'm doing.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Okay, wtf is going on with Untended Graves? Is time fluid, is this an alternate dimension, why is it so dark, other than gameplay, are these hollows stronger because they're "fresher" or because they're "older"?

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I swear, estocs have twice the range they appear to have. Worst thing is when you whiff a parry on them, back off and then you get poked to death when you clearly couldn't hit them at the same range. :mad:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Cyberventurer posted:

I swear, estocs have twice the range they appear to have. Worst thing is when you whiff a parry on them, back off and then you get poked to death when you clearly couldn't hit them at the same range. :mad:

that's mostly a function of lag+long range.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Genocyber posted:

Can you please stop quoting me till you have finished your coolaid.

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

I meant blood ring. If you are playing optimally yes you would always swap to red tearstone.

Oh yeah that makes more sense for pve if you are going for max damage without getting hit.

I love seeing the Milk Ring, it might as well be an empty slot, but it 'looks ninja', so pretty much every new player wears it at some point.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Digirat posted:

I started a really sorcery-focused character and was wondering what to level besides health, attunement and int. Is the dexterity speed bonus worth it on top of the sage's ring, if it will also let me use something like the sage's rapier? I have no idea what to do for weapons but a lot of the ones that do magic damage will need some points in strength or faith I don't really want to spend. Seems like it might be best to just use super low-requirement weapons and then make them simple or crystal, but the speed bonus sounds really attractive.

e: Actually it looks like the invisible dexterity added by the sage's ring counts for the speed cap, so 15 dexterity is the most benefit you can get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1WOTfCc05E

Sage's ring just boosts casting speed, equivalent to 30 points of dex (for the base version). Doesn't actually boost dex.

Also the Sage's Rapier is not particularly worth it. I believe a Crystal Estoc will actually be stronger; it will definitely be close and does not require the rarer scales to upgrade. A shame, too, since it's one of the longer rapiers and has that cool stance skill.

Monomythian posted:

Can you please stop quoting me till you have finished your coolaid.

I love seeing the Milk Ring, it might as well be an empty slot, but it 'looks ninja', so pretty much every new player wears it at some point.

Ah, you're clinically stupid, that's what's going on here.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Section Z posted:

I love the style of the Crescent Axe, but I hardly hear anything about it. I guess since it's a halberd without pokes or spins arts, while also being a "big axe" with no notable hyper armor or parry immunity?

I love it too, and with War Cry active it's pretty cool and is basically an axe with reach, but it doesn't really compete with stuff like the Black Knight Greataxe except that it's lighter and uses less stamina. It has some hyperarmor in its fully charged R2, but if you get hit while it's charging, forget about it, so it's cool but unwieldy. It's my favorite of the regular halberds, but the special ones like the Black Knight Glaive have good movesets and good AR that the Crescent Axe has a hard time keeping up with.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Genocyber posted:

Ah, you're clinically stupid, that's what's going on here.

Wait, does the milkring actually do something other than +3 dex and the ghostly roll animation? I thought it was only the bloodring that increased roll frames.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cyberventurer posted:

Wait, does the milkring actually do something other than +3 dex and the ghostly roll animation? I thought it was only the bloodring that increased roll frames.

It only does that. That doesn't make it a bad ring. As we all know, fashion and aesthetics are very important.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Turns out I'm not crazy. The hitbox on straight swords is way larger than the visual suggests;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNCDcrHMVtk

I had chalked up all the time it hit me from far away being phantom range but they just have stupid range.

Azran posted:

Oh hey I found a picture of Nashandra, always nice to see more DkS2 references.

I'm sad the picture doesn't curse you though.

That room also has a picture of the Brume Tower throne and Gwynevere. If any of the other pictures are of things from DS1/2, I couldn't recognize them.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Roughly what level should I be, pvp-wise, if I just beat Wolnir and have already cleared the Cathedral? I'm 39 right now and people are starting to hit me a lot harder than I hit them.

e: Jesus christ what is the crocodile demon thing on the bridge? :gonk:

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 10, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Turns out I'm not crazy. The hitbox on straight swords is way larger than the visual suggests;

Nameless King's poke is like half a swordspear longer than it should be too.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Internet Kraken posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNCDcrHMVtk

I had chalked up all the time it hit me from far away being phantom range but they just have stupid range.

I'm sad the picture doesn't curse you though.

That room also has a picture of the Brume Tower throne and Gwynevere. If any of the other pictures are of things from DS1/2, I couldn't recognize them.

Oh, so that's what the throne was. Neat.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
My inability to focus just ruins me for ever running an "efficient" build, especially spell heavy ones, even pyro with it's overall easier entry.

"Hey, maybe after I get around to beating the Game, I could try pyro... Oh, I could also use the biggest normal titanite weapon possible found before Boreal that can be buffed+infused! I'm sure using a vanilla greatsword is entirely practical when setting up to pitch black orbs and chaos fire everywhere, 4-5 spell slots, and still 20+ VIG and enough endurance to swing more than twice at SL 80-100 :downs:" *falls over with 8 VIT*

Then I think about how normal axes are cool, and get sad there is only one Battle axe and one Brigand axe per NG.

Lotish posted:

I love it too, and with War Cry active it's pretty cool and is basically an axe with reach, but it doesn't really compete with stuff like the Black Knight Greataxe except that it's lighter and uses less stamina. It has some hyperarmor in its fully charged R2, but if you get hit while it's charging, forget about it, so it's cool but unwieldy. It's my favorite of the regular halberds, but the special ones like the Black Knight Glaive have good movesets and good AR that the Crescent Axe has a hard time keeping up with.
Sounds about right, yeah. It's surprisingly forgiving on it's requirements and weight for what it is, at least. 6.0 weight and the lowest requirements of any Halberd. Not bad if you suddenly need something with more reach but don't have much in the way of physical stats.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ring slots are largely worthless outside of FAP, Hornet, Leo, Prisoner Chain (under ~SL120), Life Ring+3, and Bloodring. Everything else "useable" are gimmicks and magic.

DS2 had: Lifering+3, Cloranthy Ring+2, Royal Soldier's Ring+2, Third Dragon Ring, Ring of Blades+2, Stone Ringe, Old Leo Ring, Ring of Life Protection (in PvE), Gower's Ring, Flynn's Ring, Yorgh's Ring, plus all the spell rings I can't comment on cus I didn't spellcast.

Kild fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 11, 2016

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The estus ring is the best pvp ring.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kild posted:

Ring slots are largely worthless outside of FAP, Hornet, Leo, Prisoner Chain (under ~SL120), Life Ring+3, and Bloodring. Everything else "useable" are gimmicks and magic.

Prisoner's Chain is pretty bad without Ring of Steel Prot to mitigate the defense loss. Same w/bloodring. Life Ring+3 is a PITA to get. FAP bonuses are pretty negligible. Only Hornet and Leo are especially standout imo.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
I would wear the wolf ring if it still made a fart cloud around you.

e: I've tried using the blood ring in pvp and I did not think it was good but I assume it's because of my playstyle. Can't tell when someone else is using it but sometimes I can't hit people coming out of rolls that I think I should and it makes me suspicious.

The 10% damage from prisoner's chain I would think would be at least break even with the extra health and weight for armor which would mean it's just free endurance.

Tokyo Sex Whale fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 11, 2016

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
I am so poo poo with the Black Knight Glaive, getting my rear end handed to me in pvp, maybe it's because I'm like lvl 97. More likely I need to git gud.

But uh how's my fashion?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So after killing that stupid flying lizard I get teleported into a tower ... and there appears to be an endless stream of npc invaders? Including a havel cosplayer? What's going on here? Can I stop them spawning?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

School Nickname posted:

I am so poo poo with the Black Knight Glaive, getting my rear end handed to me in pvp, maybe it's because I'm like lvl 97. More likely I need to git gud.

But uh how's my fashion?

7/10 replace gauntlets with some more metal/bulkier.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Genocyber posted:

Prisoner's Chain is pretty bad without Ring of Steel Prot to mitigate the defense loss. Same w/bloodring. Life Ring+3 is a PITA to get. FAP bonuses are pretty negligible. Only Hornet and Leo are especially standout imo.

I'm aware, just stating stuff because some guy said DS3 had better rings than the previous games :confused:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

double nine posted:

So after killing that stupid flying lizard I get teleported into a tower ... and there appears to be an endless stream of npc invaders? Including a havel cosplayer? What's going on here? Can I stop them spawning?

Do you hear the ringing of a little bell? That's a lizard priest summoning those invaders. Kill him and they won't be summoned again.

Ravenfood posted:

Roughly what level should I be, pvp-wise, if I just beat Wolnir and have already cleared the Cathedral? I'm 39 right now and people are starting to hit me a lot harder than I hit them.

Your level is fine but your upgrade level might not be. People can easily have anything from +3 to +6 depending on where they went.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Regarding casting speed, spells usually start seeing a boost at 10 Dexterity and cap out at 50.

Read: It's DS1 all over againnnn~

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

Genocyber posted:

Yeah the Firekeeper gauntlets were more a choice for weight than anything, so I wouldn't need Havels. I've switched to Wolf's Knight over Lothric Knight as Lothric gauntlets are shameless in showing some forearm. Thank you.

Also, is it better to just go through a NG+ to get to sl 120 than to grind in Archdragon's Peak?

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Genocyber posted:

Some heavier / thicker looking leather gloves would work too.

Really I've found fashion souls to be much easier in DS3 because so much of the options available are just variations on various suits of plate / chain armour with tons of straps, capes, etc. and the visual clutter makes the different pieces of various sets blend together much better.

Also more open face helms than I remember which is good because they look v cool.

I usually just end up mashing together bits of all the starter sets + fallen knight and it looks fantastic, but then my aesthetic tastes tend towards practical, plausible armour and not robes or stuff which looks like some kind of powered armour suit.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 11, 2016