Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

In that case I'm in.

To make organizing the matches easier, what's your steam name? Or join the warhammer pvp discord:

https://discord.gg/gjDJUpQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Ze Pollack posted:

Sooo that's the Tomb Kings. Protip: do not steal their poo poo. The one thing Settra will always, always, give his subject kings the go-ahead to do is murder a fucker who stole their poo poo. It will take them a while to track you down, and it might take their legions generations to get to you, and it might take them more than one try. But steal from those who defied death, and sooner or later death comes for you.

This sounds like a recipe for eternal grudgewar if the Dwarfs get involved in this mess. :allears:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

DeathSandwich posted:

My guess is the multi-game grand campaign is going to take place 'after' the game 1 grand campaign meaning most of the lesser factions of the Empire, Brettonia, Welves, Dwarves, and Vampire Counts are all now united under their respective faction leader's banner. All of them will have new goals relating to that vortex whatsit so a theoretical Total Warhammer 2 Wood elf grand campaign would probably play differently than what we've currently got.

Game 1 is a self-contained series of events that likely won't be expanded. If what you're saying is true, then the End Times isn't really the final point on the timeline (which it is). The "Age of Peace" is straight up just a sandbox for the player that says "okay we ran out of poo poo to throw at you, paint the map if you want". Remember, the End Times is supposed to be the final point for Empire and other races, right alongside "wipe out all vampires and unite the provinces". If the events take place after the End Times, then the WoC are dead and buried, and the dwarfs/greenskins/vamps/Empire should have wiped out their respective rivals.

The multi-game grand campaign is likely going to have the respective races' immediate interests streamlined so Franz has major rivals like a Nordland power bloc and the Vampires and Orc Incursions to contend with, and if he beats them all he becomes a world power, probably by the same period that the End Times would start and the Vortex events are finishing. By streamlining that first part, it enables the player the ability to also get involved with some other conflict while doing stuff at home, like by invading the New World or eating some mummies. It also enables the Vortex and its consequences to be something the player gets to gently caress with, but not being the focus of the campaign for the races that don't give a poo poo unless demons are pouring out of it.

Also, raiding the Tomb Kings would make its raider fabulously wealthy so it makes sense that loving with the Tomb Kings should be a thing that occurs during/before a factions' primary concerns are handled. For Greenskins, they can eat some mummies and use the gold to kill dwarfs. Empire can use the gold to prepare for Chaos/Norsca, Vamps can use it to murder the Empire.

jokes fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 15, 2017

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Danann posted:

This sounds like a recipe for eternal grudgewar if the Dwarfs get involved in this mess. :allears:

I vaguely remember a story about a grudgewar actually happeneing because some dwarf lord had inadvertantly forged a Tomb King artifact into a hammer and the Tomb kings basically destroyed the hold to get it back.

Also IIRC there are a (very small) number of actually-still-living Nehekhara people living in Tomb King lands that are protected about as fiercely as their treasures.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Danann posted:

There is a war in the Lore between Karak Azul and the Tomb Kings of Mahrak. An Orc Waaagh stole Karak Azul's sacred heirloom, the hammer of Algrim, and were wiped out while looting Mahrak. King Alkharad of Mahrak placed a bronze disk in the hammer's head to commemorate this victory, and kept it as a spoil of war. Karak Azul called a grudge, charged in, and reclaimed the hammer. Mahrak's Tomb Kings stopped their infighting and retaliated to reclaim the hammer.

This war has been going for more than 2,000 years on and off, continues to the present day of Warhammer, and the Hammer of Algrim has changed hands several dozen times.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

I vaguely remember a story about a grudgewar actually happeneing because some dwarf lord had inadvertantly forged a Tomb King artifact into a hammer and the Tomb kings basically destroyed the hold to get it back.

Also IIRC there are a (very small) number of actually-still-living Nehekhara people living in Tomb King lands that are protected about as fiercely as their treasures.

Yeah I recall that as well. There's also a few Araby cities under Khemri occupation, and for the most part it's just standard Old World life as always. Just that all the guards and officials are skeletons.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Dartonus posted:

There is a war in the Lore between Karak Azul and the Tomb Kings of Mahrak. An Orc Waaagh stole Karak Azul's sacred heirloom, the hammer of Algrim, and were wiped out while looting Mahrak. King Alkharad of Mahrak placed a bronze disk in the hammer's head to commemorate this victory, and kept it as a spoil of war. Karak Azul called a grudge, charged in, and reclaimed the hammer. Mahrak's Tomb Kings stopped their infighting and retaliated to reclaim the hammer.

This war has been going for more than 2,000 years on and off, continues to the present day of Warhammer, and the Hammer of Algrim has changed hands several dozen times.

Greenskins bring folks together.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Yeah I recall that as well. There's also a few Araby cities under Khemri occupation, and for the most part it's just standard Old World life as always. Just that all the guards and officials are skeletons.

They actually take their duty to any living subjects as seriously as they would anything else. As long as you follow the laws and all you'll be fine living under the mummies.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Don't vampires also treat their living subjects decently? Kinda like how ants will protect aphids because the ants benefit from them?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think when that comes up the consensus is that vamps treat their subjects better than their contemporaries, which is to say better than absolute garbage. More like cattle. They protect from raiders, help against famine, etc., but they still live in a part of the world where werewolves run around, ghouls and such wake up from time to time, and man-eating bats are just a thing that happens. Also they live in near-permanent night.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Panfilo posted:

Don't vampires also treat their living subjects decently? Kinda like how ants will protect aphids because the ants benefit from them?

Decently as we treat cows. Which is to say, some vamp Lord's are like free range farms. Others have more of a vegan pamflet approach to the living.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Panfilo posted:

Not really, no. I mean, yes, you'll live just fine, if you don't mind friends disappearing every once in a while and the land itself slowly loving you up because of death energies flowing through it and the punishment for almost every crime ending up with you as dinner.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

still, they're better off than bret peasants

i think mannfred is kind of a oval office but vlad is a stand-up guy

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also to be exact Vlad was a decent ruler. Mannfred and Konrad were assholes and it was not any better there then the lovely parts of the Empire. (The biggest compliment was that taxes were lower.)

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

warhammer is unique in that being a vampire or a mummy has no bearing on how evil you are. it's just that a majority of people in warhammer are pretty evil to begin with.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Lets be honest, It's kind of lovely to be a peasant in Brettonia, Sylvania, and the Empire, although each area is lovely in it's own unique way.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

juggalo baby coffin posted:

warhammer is unique in that being a vampire or a mummy has no bearing on how evil you are. it's just that a majority of people in warhammer are pretty evil to begin with.

The tomb kings are not really mummies, they are more Liches.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I wonder what kind of roster we will see for the Mung and the other non-Norscan Chaos factions on the map, trimmed down Chaos like old Norsca, full on Norsca roster or a trimmed down one? I wouldn't bet my money on them getting horse-archers and poo poo.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Good people in Warhammer: I guess only a couple within the purview of their own societies since they all mostly need to double as heads of state and military. Franz, for example, is maybe "good" in that he doesn't just conquer and run a massive civil war but instead tries to put out fires with diplomacy and shows of force and is about uniting the provinces not eating his neighbors.

Grimgor, on the other hand, is "good" in that he's real good at bringing fights to the orcs that they, as a faction, ultimately win. Which is like 99% of the things they care about.

Then there are bad guys that are both dicks and are also unsuccessful at their stated goals like Mannfred. I'd say Gelt fit the bill too by murdering thousands of his countrymen attempting to get relics for his own collection, but honestly it's better he gets them than the various necromancers, tribesmen, rivals, etc. who might do poo poo contrary to the Empire's interest.

sidenote: what is the name of the over-arching name of the land that contains the Empire's various provinces and also the vampire lands.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

juggalo baby coffin posted:

Being a vampire does - the whole eating people thing fucks you up something fierce when you mix it in with what dark magic does to you. Being a mummy just means you're too old for this poo poo and git off mah lawn you drat kids you're not even a millenium old.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Apparently TotalBiscuit is going to be streaming Warhammer II gameplay on Thursday. Not my first choice but I'll watch it anyway probably

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

my dad posted:

Being a vampire does - the whole eating people thing fucks you up something fierce when you mix it in with what dark magic does to you. Being a mummy just means you're too old for this poo poo and git off mah lawn you drat kids you're not even a millenium old.

Yeah, it's important to note that Vlad was a decent ruler but not a decent person - he was just Lawful Evil to Mannfred's Neutral Evil and Konrad's Chaotic Stupid. Dude's still a vampire that wants to take over the world and bring about an endless night where his kind reign supreme, he's just not as much of an rear end to the smallfolk about it.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The old Strigoi kingdoms were the only ones where humans were actually treated well. Unfortunately the other vampires hosed that up for them. Since then life under vampires has varied based on who your particular vampire lord is from "well governed peasant" under Vlad to "literal veal farms" like under Konrad.

With the Tomb Kings though the living are their descendants, their still living legacy. That is something more than all their tomb ornaments and monuments. As far as I know no one, bar Nagash, is dumb enough to target the living population of Nehekhara.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

So do I actually have to keep killing Morghur or is he just going to sit there until I fully upgrade the Oak? Is there a time limit?

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
What exactly determines when the chaos invasion arrives? I've seen it everywhere from turn 20 to 50. Is there a certain number of settlements I need to stay under if I don't want them to show up yet?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Psycho Landlord posted:

Yeah, it's important to note that Vlad was a decent ruler but not a decent person - he was just Lawful Evil to Mannfred's Neutral Evil and Konrad's Chaotic Stupid. Dude's still a vampire that wants to take over the world and bring about an endless night where his kind reign supreme, he's just not as much of an rear end to the smallfolk about it.

Vlad isn't even really a decent ruler to loyal subjects. The huge party where Vlad revealed his and his followers' vampirism to the world involved the wholesale murder and butchery of every single non-vampire invited to the party, virtually all of whom were nobles who had pledged their loyalty to Vlad(which is why they got party invites in the first place).

Vlad was just smart enough to realize that vampires need to eat and produce more vampires, and humans are the stock from which both food and vampires come from, so cultivating strong and relatively healthy livestock improves both your food source and your vampire source. Mannfred was also relatively okay about this, to the point of torturing and murdering a loyal vampire who had been watching over Drakenhof in his absence because said loyal vampire had slaughtered and impaled a ton of peasants in a hugely wasteful manner.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

jokes posted:

I have never been able to beat Marienburg at the beginning of any game as Bretonnia (VH+). Charging the walls is just plain not happening, and if you sit there besieging it your siege will be attacked by the greenskins with a fullstack.

I play on hard because I'm a little baby :(

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ze Pollack posted:

Tomb Kings backstory:

Once upon a time, long before sigmar was a thing, the first empire of men rose out of the lush valleys of Nehekara. Naturally it spent most of its time in between Orc invasions engaged in brutal civil wars with itself. Eventually, they produced Settra, who was Alexander the Great with the serial numbers filed off, who conquered the whole mess, drove the orcs from his ancestral lands, founded colonies across the known world, and furious at the weakness of his men (and of his own aging body) demanded his priests find a way to conquer death itself. This founded the Mortuary Cult.

They got him across the three hundred years old mark before he croaked and they sealed him in the Great Pyramid, promising no, seriously, when we figure this out you will be the first of us to rise, perfect and immortal, we swear, and with his death Nehekara comfortably returned to its regularly scheduled civil wars.

Couple centuries down the line, a member of the Mortuary Cult dedicated to defeating death named Nagash figured out "hey you combine our secrets with dark elf magic and you can do some crazy poo poo!" The Tomb Kings, just a smidge too late, murdered the poo poo out of him.

(a century or so later, a bored Nehekaran queen goes dumpster diving in one of Nagash's laboratories, and chugs something marked Elixir of Eternal Life before noticing the label reading FAILED EXPERIMENTS on the door. Neferata, The First Vampire!)

So, Nagash comes back, and he comes back with a loving vengeance. He kills (almost) all of Nehekara, poisons its river, and raises all who have died to be his unthinking slaves. The vampires are spared this, on the condition they shut up and stay out of his way. LOOOONG story short, Nagash gets his face caved in by Sigmar, and the legions of Nehekaran dead collapse.

...and obedient to the magic of the Mortuary Cult Nagash had hijacked to raise them in the first place, reanimate back in their tombs, as they were told they would when the Cult had finally conquered death.

All the Mortuary Cult's members spent their first fifteen minutes of sentient undeath almost exactly the same way: "Hell yes!" "...oh no." "NO HONESTLY YOUR MAJESTY I CAN FIX THIS I CAN FIX THIS"

Remember how the Nehekaran preferred pastime was civil war? Every winner and every loser from the last three thousand years of Nehekaran warfare immediately jumped in for a HUUUGE party. And eventually, Grand Heirophant Khatep, leader of the Mortuary Cult, came to a conclusion. Nagash hadn't bothered breaking the magical seals on the Great Pyramid; there were too many of them, and they were too strong, and there was just the one corpse in there, who gave a poo poo. But as the Heirophant, Khatep had the keys.

Pros: Settra, the one man who could ever unite Nehekara, will awaken.
Cons: Settra will awaken within arm-that-crushed-the-life-from-all-who-failed-Settra's reach of Grand Heirophant Khatep. Who, not to put too fine a point on it... has failed him.

Settra's rage was only slightly reduced by learning he could keep killing Khatep until the end of time. Whenever he gets bored, which is not frequently thanks to the efforts involved in keeping a damper on several dozen generations' worth of civil wars/reclaiming the lost territories of his boundless empire, he hunts him down, asks for a progress report on how fixing it is going, and kills him again.

Sooo that's the Tomb Kings. Protip: do not steal their poo poo. The one thing Settra will always, always, give his subject kings the go-ahead to do is murder a fucker who stole their poo poo. It will take them a while to track you down, and it might take their legions generations to get to you, and it might take them more than one try. But steal from those who defied death, and sooner or later death comes for you.

The Savage Orcs of the Southern Badlands are notoriously resistant to joining up with their more 'civilized' northern brethren. They have had all the fights they could possibly want on-tap for millennia at this point.

My only quibble is that I'd describe Settra more as Alexander the Great meets Qin Shi Huang, but otherwise this is perfect :golfclap:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Agnostalgia posted:

What exactly determines when the chaos invasion arrives? I've seen it everywhere from turn 20 to 50. Is there a certain number of settlements I need to stay under if I don't want them to show up yet?

It's I believe some combination of randomly determined with higher chances of it showing up as you conquer more territory and more of the minor factions start disappearing. Generally no matter how fast I've done it, when I play as the Empire, the Storm of Chaos generally starts in earnest right around the time I've confederated the southlands and merced all the sabertooth assholes in Sylvania.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

unwantedplatypus posted:

Apparently TotalBiscuit is going to be streaming Warhammer II gameplay on Thursday. Not my first choice but I'll watch it anyway probably

Please tell me someone else is getting this privilege too. God I do not want to watch TB.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

my dad posted:

Not really, no. I mean, yes, you'll live just fine, if you don't mind friends disappearing every once in a while and the land itself slowly loving you up because of death energies flowing through it and the punishment for almost every crime ending up with you as dinner.

Sounds like a Libertarian paradise!

:v: "Sure my neighbors got eaten by Bat Boy and my corn stalks are growing fangs and hissing at me, but at least the taxes are low! Better than living in that socialist hell they call Brettonia!"

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Nehekhara is not-Egypt, if anything Settra is Rameses II. Most powerful Pharaoh ever, and expanded Egypt's borders to their historical greatest limit. He outlived some of his own heirs. If you're a peasant working the fields along the Nile and your life expectancy is 25, you could easily believe that the old Pharaoh, who has reigned since before your granddaddy was born, is a god.

Alexander the Great smdh at you dolts

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

unwantedplatypus posted:

Hope you guys like 5 hours of him bitching about the options menu.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Panfilo posted:

Sounds like a Libertarian paradise!

:v: "Sure my neighbors got eaten by Bat Boy and my corn stalks are growing fangs and hissing at me, but at least the taxes are low! Better than living in that socialist hell they call Brettonia!"

Amazingly, it really would still be better than Bretonnia.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Senor Dog posted:

Carcassonne has the easy, boring start now IMO. Also you're mega wrong about my knight bros they rule and you should leave the peasants in their dumb fields.

Start as Louen, conquer marienburg, then go crusading in norsca. They are fun to fight now!

Once you confederate all of French Land don't forget to use all three of your Legendary Lords. The penalties for lazy made me very sad :( I tried using Fey lady as an income person, along with water boy and I took some nasty penalties to my Chivalry. It also didn't help I was sacking everyone like a Norscan.

Oh, and gently caress the Wood Elfs.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Senor Dog posted:

I play on hard because I'm a little baby :(

The game is really designed to be played on hard. Very hard and legendary just add a bunch of tedium and unfun bullshit.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Pendent posted:

The game is really designed to be played on hard. Very hard and legendary just add a bunch of tedium and unfun bullshit.

Yeah, I'm probably only ever gonna play on Hard (with normal battles because I never like the idea of the enemy bot's troops just being statistically better) with AI and roster mods layered on to add to the challenge.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i play on normal because im poo poo at strategy games

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So Reddit is speculating (cue groans) that tomorrow will be the Skaven reveal during CA's official stream. So it could be two distinct days of Warhammer 2 streams and press.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Gonkish posted:

So Reddit is speculating (cue groans) that tomorrow will be the Skaven reveal during CA's official stream. So it could be two distinct days of Warhammer 2 streams and press.

I've been enjoying the fake secrecy about skaven enough that I might actually stop following updates about the game until it comes out just so I can go in clean without knowing their roster and mechanics and everything.

• Locked thread