Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The third one is supposed to be a quest battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
all rats are great

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Tiler Kiwi posted:

all rats are great

:perfect:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
This is wonderful.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Today is going to be hell as they do streams on Wednesdays and so they're just going to be teasing for the next 24 hours.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ZearothK posted:

The third one is supposed to be a quest battle.

Weird I didn't get a quest battle. I bet it's because I tried to use Instant Quest Battles and it messed up some value somewhere.

Whatever, Norsca is cool and fun!

I don't have any idea how to beat dwarfs other than by just spamming 3 armies for every 1 of the dwarfs' and only bringing mammoths, great weapon infantry, and some fimir/frost wyrms here and there and it's a major slog.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
Tomb Kings backstory:

Once upon a time, long before sigmar was a thing, the first empire of men rose out of the lush valleys of Nehekara. Naturally it spent most of its time in between Orc invasions engaged in brutal civil wars with itself. Eventually, they produced Settra, who was Alexander the Great with the serial numbers filed off, who conquered the whole mess, drove the orcs from his ancestral lands, founded colonies across the known world, and furious at the weakness of his men (and of his own aging body) demanded his priests find a way to conquer death itself. This founded the Mortuary Cult.

They got him across the three hundred years old mark before he croaked and they sealed him in the Great Pyramid, promising no, seriously, when we figure this out you will be the first of us to rise, perfect and immortal, we swear, and with his death Nehekara comfortably returned to its regularly scheduled civil wars.

Couple centuries down the line, a member of the Mortuary Cult dedicated to defeating death named Nagash figured out "hey you combine our secrets with dark elf magic and you can do some crazy poo poo!" The Tomb Kings, just a smidge too late, murdered the poo poo out of him.

(a century or so later, a bored Nehekaran queen goes dumpster diving in one of Nagash's laboratories, and chugs something marked Elixir of Eternal Life before noticing the label reading FAILED EXPERIMENTS on the door. Neferata, The First Vampire!)

So, Nagash comes back, and he comes back with a loving vengeance. He kills (almost) all of Nehekara, poisons its river, and raises all who have died to be his unthinking slaves. The vampires are spared this, on the condition they shut up and stay out of his way. LOOOONG story short, Nagash gets his face caved in by Sigmar, and the legions of Nehekaran dead collapse.

...and obedient to the magic of the Mortuary Cult Nagash had hijacked to raise them in the first place, reanimate back in their tombs, as they were told they would when the Cult had finally conquered death.

All the Mortuary Cult's members spent their first fifteen minutes of sentient undeath almost exactly the same way: "Hell yes!" "...oh no." "NO HONESTLY YOUR MAJESTY I CAN FIX THIS I CAN FIX THIS"

Remember how the Nehekaran preferred pastime was civil war? Every winner and every loser from the last three thousand years of Nehekaran warfare immediately jumped in for a HUUUGE party. And eventually, Grand Heirophant Khatep, leader of the Mortuary Cult, came to a conclusion. Nagash hadn't bothered breaking the magical seals on the Great Pyramid; there were too many of them, and they were too strong, and there was just the one corpse in there, who gave a poo poo. But as the Heirophant, Khatep had the keys.

Pros: Settra, the one man who could ever unite Nehekara, will awaken.
Cons: Settra will awaken within arm-that-crushed-the-life-from-all-who-failed-Settra's reach of Grand Heirophant Khatep. Who, not to put too fine a point on it... has failed him.

Settra's rage was only slightly reduced by learning he could keep killing Khatep until the end of time. Whenever he gets bored, which is not frequently thanks to the efforts involved in keeping a damper on several dozen generations' worth of civil wars/reclaiming the lost territories of his boundless empire, he hunts him down, asks for a progress report on how fixing it is going, and kills him again.

Sooo that's the Tomb Kings. Protip: do not steal their poo poo. The one thing Settra will always, always, give his subject kings the go-ahead to do is murder a fucker who stole their poo poo. It will take them a while to track you down, and it might take their legions generations to get to you, and it might take them more than one try. But steal from those who defied death, and sooner or later death comes for you.

The Savage Orcs of the Southern Badlands are notoriously resistant to joining up with their more 'civilized' northern brethren. They have had all the fights they could possibly want on-tap for millennia at this point.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
I've done all the Norscan Monster Hunts, and here's my thoughts on each:

First of all, I used basically the same army for each of these. Wulfric + Fire Fimir + Skinwolf Hero + 7 Javelins + 4 armored skinwolf + 4 great weapon champions + 2 great weapon fimir. Javalins focus down whatever monster needs killing, skinwolves chase down the minor support, fimir and champions hold the line

Frost Wyrm - Probably the best quest. Dragons are fun to kill, and there's enough of them that it doesn't feel too easy despite them arriving piecemeal. The ice storms are a nice, dangerous obstacle.
Mammoth - The only hunt where you don't have to fight the monster. I actually brought Throgg's troll+fimir army here and was surprised to see an army of Slayers reinforcing. Plays out like a normal battle, dwarfs didn't even deal enough damage to threaten the mammoths.
Giant - Super easy battle. Javelins can kill each Giant in two seconds, and the main giant only had time to fart twice.
Arachnarok - Another really easy fight. It's mostly just a bunch of the standard ROR spider, they go down only slightly slower than giants.
Forest Dragon - Javelins buffed by flaming sword of rhuin managed to kill this beast before the Ancients could even spawn, so I'm not sure how that gimmick plays out.
Terrorgheist - Annoying battle. Theoretically, every time you kill an enemy unit the Terror hurts itself to replace them. The self damage wasn't enough, and they ran out of units to replace with the Terror at like half health. Exploited fire weakness to get around 100% ward save, took forever due to basically doing tiny damage.
Shaggoth - Also a fun fight. Shaggoths are just tough enough that their thunderstorm will probably proc a few times, but not so tough that it becomes boring. My #2 battle.
Cygor - The exploding rocks look cool, but aren't all that scary overall. Skinwolves can flank around to kill the big beastie and stop the rocks coming, and the minotaurs lack the support they really need to be too dangerous.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

jokes posted:

I don't have any idea how to beat dwarfs other than by just spamming 3 armies for every 1 of the dwarfs' and only bringing mammoths, great weapon infantry, and some fimir/frost wyrms here and there and it's a major slog.

I find dwarves the hardest armies to fight as everyone. Take ages to break even from repeated backline charges, savage, fast turning gunlines, you usually can't force them to come at you and nearly everything is armoured. Ugh.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
Regarding the monster hunts, that was more or less my experience. Though I never really engaged when the Terrorgheist's gimmick - I'm not sure what in my stack was loving it up so badly but something trucked it the moment it landed.

The cygor fight was actually kinda nasty for me. I did that hunt pretty early on with a full stack of javelin hunters, champions, and bersekers with a single feral mammoth, and I took 2/3s - 3/4s casualties between the boulders and the minotaurs.

I think the Shaggoth fight was probably my favorite - it was clear what the gimmick would be and it delivered!

e: Regarding Tomb Kings Chat, Khalida is at least a strong contender for 2nd LL slot as mentioned. Here's her entry on 1d4chan. Usual warnings regarding nsfw content, though her page is safe. https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Queen_Khalida

Really all the Tomb Kings lords were metal as poo poo. Mortal Khalida dueling her elder vampire cousin to a near draw and then praying to her goddess to replace her blood with asp venom. :black101:

2 SPOOKY fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 15, 2017

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah I realized pretty quick that the various marauders were poo poo for monster hunts and I should instead bring javelins, fimir, mammoths, and skinwolves. The only one that caused a bit of trouble was the mammoth one, but that's mostly because you don't really fight monsters so your wolves/javelins aren't as useful.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Ze Pollack posted:

Tomb Kings backstory:

Once upon a time, long before sigmar was a thing, the first empire of men rose out of the lush valleys of Nehekara. Naturally it spent most of its time in between Orc invasions engaged in brutal civil wars with itself. Eventually, they produced Settra, who was Alexander the Great with the serial numbers filed off, who conquered the whole mess, drove the orcs from his ancestral lands, founded colonies across the known world, and furious at the weakness of his men (and of his own aging body) demanded his priests find a way to conquer death itself. This founded the Mortuary Cult.

They got him across the three hundred years old mark before he croaked and they sealed him in the Great Pyramid, promising no, seriously, when we figure this out you will be the first of us to rise, perfect and immortal, we swear, and with his death Nehekara comfortably returned to its regularly scheduled civil wars.

Couple centuries down the line, a member of the Mortuary Cult dedicated to defeating death named Nagash figured out "hey you combine our secrets with dark elf magic and you can do some crazy poo poo!" The Tomb Kings, just a smidge too late, murdered the poo poo out of him.

(a century or so later, a bored Nehekaran queen goes dumpster diving in one of Nagash's laboratories, and chugs something marked Elixir of Eternal Life before noticing the label reading FAILED EXPERIMENTS on the door. Neferata, The First Vampire!)

So, Nagash comes back, and he comes back with a loving vengeance. He kills (almost) all of Nehekara, poisons its river, and raises all who have died to be his unthinking slaves. The vampires are spared this, on the condition they shut up and stay out of his way. LOOOONG story short, Nagash gets his face caved in by Sigmar, and the legions of Nehekaran dead collapse.

...and obedient to the magic of the Mortuary Cult Nagash had hijacked to raise them in the first place, reanimate back in their tombs, as they were told they would when the Cult had finally conquered death.

All the Mortuary Cult's members spent their first fifteen minutes of sentient undeath almost exactly the same way: "Hell yes!" "...oh no." "NO HONESTLY YOUR MAJESTY I CAN FIX THIS I CAN FIX THIS"

Remember how the Nehekaran preferred pastime was civil war? Every winner and every loser from the last three thousand years of Nehekaran warfare immediately jumped in for a HUUUGE party. And eventually, Grand Heirophant Khatep, leader of the Mortuary Cult, came to a conclusion. Nagash hadn't bothered breaking the magical seals on the Great Pyramid; there were too many of them, and they were too strong, and there was just the one corpse in there, who gave a poo poo. But as the Heirophant, Khatep had the keys.

Pros: Settra, the one man who could ever unite Nehekara, will awaken.
Cons: Settra will awaken within arm-that-crushed-the-life-from-all-who-failed-Settra's reach of Grand Heirophant Khatep. Who, not to put too fine a point on it... has failed him.

Settra's rage was only slightly reduced by learning he could keep killing Khatep until the end of time. Whenever he gets bored, which is not frequently thanks to the efforts involved in keeping a damper on several dozen generations' worth of civil wars/reclaiming the lost territories of his boundless empire, he hunts him down, asks for a progress report on how fixing it is going, and kills him again.

Sooo that's the Tomb Kings. Protip: do not steal their poo poo. The one thing Settra will always, always, give his subject kings the go-ahead to do is murder a fucker who stole their poo poo. It will take them a while to track you down, and it might take their legions generations to get to you, and it might take them more than one try. But steal from those who defied death, and sooner or later death comes for you.

The Savage Orcs of the Southern Badlands are notoriously resistant to joining up with their more 'civilized' northern brethren. They have had all the fights they could possibly want on-tap for millennia at this point.

This is a good-rear end post

Can any of y'all sell me on skrolk? I'm not finding much about him on the various wikis

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...
Two additional notes to that brief history of Nehekhara: at its peak under Settra, the Nehekharan empire included the entirety of (what is now) the Badlands, the Border Princes, Tilea, Estalia, and a little bit of the Empire in that area right by Blackfire Pass. It was at this point Settra realized he was like 60 and not getting any younger.

Secondly, Nagash came at Nehekhara twice (after an initial exile, during which Neferata looted his research). The first time he came at them with hordes of undead and assistance from Vampires, and was beaten back. For failing him, he cursed the Vampires with their various non-blood-thirst weaknesses. Yes, this means still-living Nehekhara took on an army of immortal superhumans with no notable weaknesses and won. Ever the sore loser, he cast a ritual to blight the land and kill all of Nehekhara except the king who defeated him, Alcadizaar. Thanks to the Skaven, Alcadizaar got out and ganked him with a sword made of pure warpstone after he finished the "Reanimate all Nehekhara" step but not the crucial "bind them to my will" step. He came back again to find a unified Nehekhara led by Settra, who solidly defeated him, forcing a weakened Nagash to flee north into what would become the Empire, where Sigmar finished him off (yet again).

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Can someone sell me on the Bret campaign? I played it some when it was first released and I really wasn't feeling it. I have to fight against my urge to field significant blocks of infantry so I don't run out of peasants. You are ages away from anything interesting and are mostly relegated to fighting humans and other Bret minors and maybe elves if you are feeling saucy. You are pretty dependent on your limited peasant units until your lord levels his knightly vows, and of that, only two of the knight units are anything worth writing home about.

To be fair, I did start with the fey enchantress. Maybe one of the other factions has a better start?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

DeathSandwich posted:

Can someone sell me on the Bret campaign? I played it some when it was first released and I really wasn't feeling it. I have to fight against my urge to field significant blocks of infantry so I don't run out of peasants. You are ages away from anything interesting and are mostly relegated to fighting humans and other Bret minors and maybe elves if you are feeling saucy. You are pretty dependent on your limited peasant units until your lord levels his knightly vows, and of that, only two of the knight units are anything worth writing home about.

To be fair, I did start with the fey enchantress. Maybe one of the other factions has a better start?

Carcassonne has the easy, boring start now IMO. Also you're mega wrong about my knight bros they rule and you should leave the peasants in their dumb fields.

Start as Louen, conquer marienburg, then go crusading in norsca. They are fun to fight now!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
What's the incentive to taking Balefiends over Shaman Priests for Norsca? The human casters eventually get access to Chariots, which seems pretty good for a wizard. The Skeksis dudes get other buffs to make them at least not-squishy but even with all their unique buffs it doesn't seem quite as great; the main benefit seems to be that you get the same perks as the other fmir units (magical attacks, armor sundering). Their melee attack/defense doesn't seem that hot, though, so the types of units you'd want to engage to exploit magic damage and/or sundering are going to throw a lot of hurt back on the vulture wizard.

Fmir in general are really nice though. Good armor, better leadership than Trolls (upgradeable with Throgg) magic attacks AND armor sundering are a nice combination- for example, units with little armor but melee resist (Savage Orcs, I believe) will still get beat to poo poo in spite of getting no benefit from the armor piercing. Units with high armor will also get battered down allowing you to follow up with berserkers, javelins, or champions. They're win-win and really the only bummer is that the greatweapon variant takes 2 rounds to recruit vs the upgraded skinwolves only costing more.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/897446824461598720

CA may be stretching the Skaven meme as far as they can, but I can always get behind a good Princess Bride reference.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The Fay Enchantress is the one that is the most reliant on peasants, you should try Couronne as Leoncour is arguably the lord/start best suited to spam knights in the true brettonian fashion.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
While I'm thinking about it, did they ever change it so that if you confederate with another faction that has a legendary lord then said new legendary lord is no longer immune to being outright killed and will never come back after being killed in combat or assassinated?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

DeathSandwich posted:

While I'm thinking about it, did they ever change it so that if you confederate with another faction that has a legendary lord then said new legendary lord is no longer immune to being outright killed and will never come back after being killed in combat or assassinated?

I'm assuming it was more like if you confederated with a faction that had a legendary lord that was dead at the time of confederation he won't come back, but I could be wrong about that.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Panfilo posted:

What's the incentive to taking Balefiends over Shaman Priests for Norsca? The human casters eventually get access to Chariots, which seems pretty good for a wizard. The Skeksis dudes get other buffs to make them at least not-squishy but even with all their unique buffs it doesn't seem quite as great; the main benefit seems to be that you get the same perks as the other fmir units (magical attacks, armor sundering). Their melee attack/defense doesn't seem that hot, though, so the types of units you'd want to engage to exploit magic damage and/or sundering are going to throw a lot of hurt back on the vulture wizard.

Fmir in general are really nice though. Good armor, better leadership than Trolls (upgradeable with Throgg) magic attacks AND armor sundering are a nice combination- for example, units with little armor but melee resist (Savage Orcs, I believe) will still get beat to poo poo in spite of getting no benefit from the armor piercing. Units with high armor will also get battered down allowing you to follow up with berserkers, javelins, or champions. They're win-win and really the only bummer is that the greatweapon variant takes 2 rounds to recruit vs the upgraded skinwolves only costing more.

balefiends are strong in melee and very tanky for a wizard

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Panfilo posted:

Balefiends can actually stand up in a fight in melee, and have sundering too I think.

Also unlike shamans balefiends don't periodically sound like a poster on /pol/ and dailystormer trying to imitate what they think someone who is Jewish sounds like.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Some stuff that seems a little confusing to me as Norsca:

If any 'Forces of Chaos' type faction (Chaos, Norsca, Beastmen) raze a settlement, even one you could normally occupy, your own Norsca faction cannot colonize the ruins anymore. I understand that normally you are only able to occupy Norscan, coastal, and major faction capitals, but its kind of rough when a roided out Beastmen stack go and gank something you would've wanted to take. I'm not sure if this applies to faction capitals as I haven't seen it happen, but for other Norscan settlements it does happen, whether from other Norscans or from Chaos rebels.

Along those lines, the game informs you when you control a full province (even though you get zero benefit from this). Any ruins in the province now count as 'yours' and enemy agents will actually park themselves in useless territories to deploy :psyduck: assuming that they are affecting you. I suppose agent abilities that affect the whole province apply (like Public Order?) but the BS thing about it is even though the game assumes that burned out territory is 'yours' you do not get any replenishment from it, and as Gejnor pointed out, any bonus +replenishment only applies to friendly territory. So the game counts a province with a razed city among others that you control as 'yours' except when it comes to replenishment, which is kind of bullshit. I would have settled for a lesser effect, like 50% the benefit you'd normally get, because then at least you have an incentive to occupy the other territories yourself vs just vassalizing them.

Norscans also seem gimped with global recruitment. I assume this is to incentivize capturing coasts and using them to recruit basic units if need be. As is global recruitment is normally 2x the build time, but it appears that for Norsca it is 3x.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Global recruitment bugs me and I think it hamstrings the AI, too. how many times have you seen an ai stack chilling in recruitment stance for like 3 turns without its stack growing? AI can't use it properly (like most things in the game)

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Ammanas posted:

Global recruitment bugs me and I think it hamstrings the AI, too. how many times have you seen an ai stack chilling in recruitment stance for like 3 turns without its stack growing? AI can't use it properly (like most things in the game)

I have over 200 hours in this game and have never once had a situation where I felt the need to use global recruitment. As a mechanic it could use a total rework because it's just not useful outside of very specific circumstances.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It would make more sense if the multipliers had decimals, based on the nature of various factions.

So some factions would get comparatively 'better' base global recruitment, but no way to change it. I'd do this with Greenskins since Big uns are already 2 turns and Black Orcs are 3. If their global recruitment for these was, say 3 and 4 respectively then there'd be more reason to recruit in raiding camp stance. Ditto with the cost multiplier (which could also be applied, so it doesn't always cost 2x to recruit out of the recruiting province.

Other factions would get higher base global recruitment, but their home recruitment would be lower. Simple

Still others would get average base recruitment times for elite units, but would have blue line lord skills or research upgrades that could cut it down by a few turns. This makes a lot of sense for someone like Wulfrik, who should be a globetrotting skull collector. This also helps the AI out a lot as well, especially if it particularly applied to the smaller subfactions that got smashed quickly normally.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Ammanas posted:

It just occurred to me that the one problem with my previous idea is that it takes away from one of the benefits from horde factions; since wherever they are is their 'home' province, they never have to deal with global recruitment bullshit. But if settled factions could recruit faster than one of the benefits of hordes becomes less significant.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Pendent posted:

I have over 200 hours in this game and have never once had a situation where I felt the need to use global recruitment. As a mechanic it could use a total rework because it's just not useful outside of very specific circumstances.

Obviously it's really great late-game as wood elves because they can get basic units down to 1 turn global recruit.

Other than that, I use it a lot as Empire in the mid-late game. I often find myself needed new armies and having more money than time. So I queue up a few turns worth of normal recruitment and use global for some basic units because at that point it's basically just extra recruitment slots. You can get a solid Empire full stack in like 3 turns

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Pendent posted:

The one time I had good use of global recruitment was when I was doing a gimmick Druthu run where I ran up north to wreck Norse poo poo all game. Welves do get a technology to 2 turn global recruitment into 1 turn global recruitment and a building that reduces recruitment costs by -30% though, so they can actually make use of it reasonably well.

Aside from that, I had marginal use of it in my last Balthizar Gelt run where right around turn 90 I was trying to rebuild a completely razed kislev as a last stand area for the chaos invasion and beelining to settlement walls and such. Global recruitment was useful there insofar as I could re-recruit from chaos fights without pulling back and putting my settlement force in danger. But that was extremely edge case and not the norm.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Global recruitment will be more useful if we get a full scale grand campaign map. Being able to recruit when the nearest territory is halfway across the game world will be worth it then, I bet.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Senor Dog posted:

Start as Louen, conquer marienburg, then go crusading in norsca. They are fun to fight now!

Do you just eat the chivalry hit for raiding to avoid attrition and make up for it by crushing bad guys?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Archonex posted:

Global recruitment will be more useful if we get a full scale grand campaign map. Being able to recruit when the nearest territory is halfway across the game world will be worth it then, I bet.

I recall it being mentioned that all factions were to be able to conquer everywhere in game 2.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Archonex posted:

See this is why I wouldn't mind a full-blown grand campaign map. The other thing that could help is by making Military Access and a few other diplomatic treaties help modify replenishment and global recruitment.

Like I said before, have each type of unit have a decimal multiplier for global recruitment. While the 'average' would be 2x, maybe some units might be 1.8x or something, with treaties, research, and blue skills able to crank that down to reducing that unit's global recruitment by another turn or two. When the map gets really colossal, it will be nice if there are ways to reduce recruitment time and cost.

As well as this, make the recruitment cost multiplier tied to turn multiplier. So if a global recruitment multiplier is only 1.8x, that means it should only cost 1.8x to recruit. This makes a lot of sense for rampaging armies like Greenskins that are going to extend far and wide outside their own territories.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Sinteres posted:

Do you just eat the chivalry hit for raiding to avoid attrition and make up for it by crushing bad guys?

Peep the technology tree, one of the removes attrition for fighting chaos nerds or orc nerds.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I don't know why they decided to replace mercs with global recruitment for this game in particular. Being able to recruit a few units outside your race in an emergency would be great. Maybe limit it to Good or Bad Guys only depending on the race.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Zudgemud posted:

I recall it being mentioned that all factions were to be able to conquer everywhere in game 2.

Depending on how this works with Wood Elf outpost mechanics and the rules for how global recruitment works, this could make Wood Elves in particular have a tipping point where they become an unstoppable juggernaut. Currently, having enough of a unit production building will cut global recruit time down to normal recruit time. This is noticeable with the Empire, and Norsca, where having enough buildings for their line soldiers will let you stock up on more in one turn.

In the Wood Elf minicampaign, there are enough settlements in Athel Loren that you can hit this threshold, getting a one-turn global recruit on glade guard/treekin/whatever else you can get production for in a tier 3 minor settlement. The tech that lets Wood Elves global recruit one turn faster has already been mentioned. When these two are combined, the global recruit time for units is displayed as a red parchment with no number (compared to the standard parchment with a number), and global recruitment on them does not take up your global recruitment slots (it appears to, but you can keep going and adding more to the queue and they'll all say one turn remaining), letting you global recruit full stacks in one turn. Of course, by the time you hit this point in the Wood Elf minicampaign you've basically already won.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Sinteres posted:

They gets techs to cut the attrition, but also an encamp stance that negates attrition and replenishes and is not a raiding stance.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Gamerofthegame posted:

I feel bad for CA tbh

lizards, tomb kings and skaven

everyone has incredibly high expectations for awesome poo poo this game

I better see some of the coolest loving dinosaurs, giant undead scorpions, and amazing warp lightning guns or I am going to be so mad.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Senor Dog posted:

I have never been able to beat Marienburg at the beginning of any game as Bretonnia (VH+). Charging the walls is just plain not happening, and if you sit there besieging it your siege will be attacked by the greenskins with a fullstack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Dartonus posted:

Depending on how this works with Wood Elf outpost mechanics and the rules for how global recruitment works, this could make Wood Elves in particular have a tipping point where they become an unstoppable juggernaut. Currently, having enough of a unit production building will cut global recruit time down to normal recruit time. This is noticeable with the Empire, and Norsca, where having enough buildings for their line soldiers will let you stock up on more in one turn.

In the Wood Elf minicampaign, there are enough settlements in Athel Loren that you can hit this threshold, getting a one-turn global recruit on glade guard/treekin/whatever else you can get production for in a tier 3 minor settlement. The tech that lets Wood Elves global recruit one turn faster has already been mentioned. When these two are combined, the global recruit time for units is displayed as a red parchment with no number (compared to the standard parchment with a number), and global recruitment on them does not take up your global recruitment slots (it appears to, but you can keep going and adding more to the queue and they'll all say one turn remaining), letting you global recruit full stacks in one turn. Of course, by the time you hit this point in the Wood Elf minicampaign you've basically already won.

I would have to guess for a multi-game grand campaign if they are making modifications to the game map, they are probably going to modify some of those mechanics and rework things like the Welf goals in grand campaign.

My guess is the multi-game grand campaign is going to take place 'after' the game 1 grand campaign meaning most of the lesser factions of the Empire, Brettonia, Welves, Dwarves, and Vampire Counts are all now united under their respective faction leader's banner. All of them will have new goals relating to that vortex whatsit so a theoretical Total Warhammer 2 Wood elf grand campaign would probably play differently than what we've currently got.

• Locked thread