Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I'm pretty much done with the show, but I mean to see the season out...Which is why I'm very worried they'll end it on a deeply unsatisfying cliffhanger.

Every great CW show pretty much has a perfect ending on season 2, huh? (Oh wait, The Flash totally broke the 2>1>rest season rule. poo poo.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

This is season 3.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

hollylolly posted:

This is season 3.

:ssh: he's saying the season 2 ending was best

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Yeah, season 1 was a total cliffhanger (but a good one), and season 2 actually ended with a fair bit of closure - uniting the titular 100 and the Arkers, the total destruction of Mt Weather, an end to full scale war with the grounders and Clarke's self-imposed exile. Only problem is Jaha/Murphy's wild ride and the ALIE set up.

Guess you can just retroactively imagine they died on that boat. Like how season 5 of 24 ended early with Jack answering a phone call from his daughter, and NOT being kidnapped by the Chinese, and the series was over forever. And you can't tell me any different.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ufarn posted:

ALIE knows Emerson is dead, so I take it that was a hint that one of the people in the decon room is chipped?

Or did ALIE somehow find out, because Clarke chipped him with 2.0?

It would have to be Harper since she's the only one that wasn't in the room for the hacking.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

It would have to be Harper since she's the only one that wasn't in the room for the hacking.

The oil rig crew were all there when emerson and sinclair died as well.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

muscles like this? posted:

If Harper was Alie'd, wouldn't she have tried to stop them?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I really wish this show had a little bit of a longer episode order just to give some breathing room episodes from the unrelenting season arcs. The time frame compression isn't helping at all, half of these kids really should be in a catatonic psychological breakdown state.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Clarke's probably been knocked unconscious every other week. That can't be too good.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

hope and vaseline posted:

I really wish this show had a little bit of a longer episode order just to give some breathing room episodes from the unrelenting season arcs. The time frame compression isn't helping at all, half of these kids really should be in a catatonic psychological breakdown state.

All TV shows need to be an hour long. I really hate the 40ish minute format. Everything feels really rushed.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

All TV shows need to be an hour long. I really hate the 40ish minute format. Everything feels really rushed.

But where would you put the commercials? :confused:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

enraged_camel posted:

It's entirely a pacing issue with The 100, that's it. There are plenty of shows that use the 42-44 or so minute runtime perfectly. For network you're kinda stuck with what you got so I guess for JRoth and fam they decided to just lean hard on plot at the usual expense of anything else to use their time wisely.

I mean if you look at the last two episodes of The Americans that just aired, one of their best episodes ran just short of 40 minutes. They then followed up with an episode that ran just a bit longer than normal (48 or so minutes). And both episodes completely justified their runtime. I don't think Better Call Saul either has really fluctuated around their 45 minute runtime much either and they are always hailed for having a lot of breathing room and tense sequences.

Most of the time the only 55-60 minute episode shows that justify it do so because they actually have an enormous cast or know what they're doing with it. This is not true with for instance, most streaming shows (and even some really lovely premium cable shows) and could stand to lose some runtime because it isn't really well spent at all. Daredevil S2 especially is really egregious at not really justifying their hour-long runtime at all.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Sober posted:

Daredevil S2 especially is really egregious at not really justifying their hour-long runtime at all.

See, I don't agree at all. There's a poo poo ton of world-building and character-building in Daredevil S2. Same with Jessica Jones.

If you're watching them for non-stop action or expect every single scene to move the plot forward, I suppose you'll end up unsatisfied. That doesn't mean they aren't justifying their long runtime however.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

enraged_camel posted:

Agreed. But mostly because if I'm paying for cable I shouldn't be forced to watch ads. :colbert:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I've been thinking about it, and the only way I can see Jasper taking the chip is if ALIE or one of her proxies made the (very reasonable and arguably true) argument to him that Skaikru is a menace that needs to be stopped, that death follows them everywhere and that they've repeatedly slaughtered hundreds to protect dozens. There is no peace they won't break, no society they won't annihilate, no person or people they won't kill in their quest to survive. Jasper is still young and very much invested in the heroic myth. He would never break as long as he believed he was one of the good guys. So what do you do then? Point to what is happening to Flokru right now as a direct result of Skaikru coming to town, point to Mount Weather, point to the two separate sets of three hundred dead Grounders, and convince him that he is, and always has been, one of the bad guys. And then offer him a chance to be a real hero by stopping the real menace: Clarke Griffin and her Death Squad.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Spergatory posted:

I've been thinking about it, and the only way I can see Jasper taking the chip is if ALIE or one of her proxies made the (very reasonable and arguably true) argument to him that Skaikru is a menace that needs to be stopped, that death follows them everywhere and that they've repeatedly slaughtered hundreds to protect dozens. There is no peace they won't break, no society they won't annihilate, no person or people they won't kill in their quest to survive. Jasper is still young and very much invested in the heroic myth. He would never break as long as he believed he was one of the good guys. So what do you do then? Point to what is happening to Flokru right now as a direct result of Skaikru coming to town, point to Mount Weather, point to the two separate sets of three hundred dead Grounders, and convince him that he is, and always has been, one of the bad guys. And then offer him a chance to be a real hero by stopping the real menace: Clarke Griffin and her Death Squad.

Couldn't they have just forced open his mouth and shoved the chip into him?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

TMMadman posted:

Couldn't they have just forced open his mouth and shoved the chip into him?

Pretty sure they've mentioned before that the chips have to be taken willingly, because of :science:

Although apparently not ALIE 2.0 since Clarke tried to force into Luna, but who knows?

Also did I hear correctly and we're getting a 2-part finale, the last two episodes?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

It's a pretty interesting dichotomy though that the AI that wants to enslave people has to be accepted willingly and the AI that wants to save people can be forced on others. It fits into Clarke's narrative that she will do whatever she can to save the people that matters to her, consequences be damned. Also why are we spoilering speculation?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Also why are we spoilering speculation?

The person who initially posted it spoilered it because it 'seemed pretty likely' and I just followed suit. The more I think about it, the more sense it makes, at least from a plotting/logistics standpoint. Jasper had zero affect on the outcome of the Luna situation, yet the writers went out of their way to invent a throwaway character so he could be in that room with her, separated from the rest of the group, with no eyes on him but ALIE's (as Luna was busy being waterboarded). Why else would they bother to do that?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Pretty sure after he found out Raven couldn't remember Finn, Jasper was permanently crossed off the list of people who could maybe be chipped. I feel fairly strongly he would rather put up with Clarke to keep his memories of Maya, than forget the girl altogether just to get back at her killer or 'save' other people.

Plus ALIE has amassed a giant zombie army at this point. Monty's mom tried to kill Octavia under the influence and the only way to stop her was some bullets. No amount of 'but Clarke is the bad guy we haven't killed as many people as her, we're good honest' could get Jasper to willingly take the chip. Like there's no backpedalling ALIE can do now to convince people to join her side without threatening them.

Maybe if someone held a gun to Raven's head, or Octavia's or Monty's, and he was tied down with no chance of pulling a stupid hero move and getting them both killed. Maybe he'd take one then. I just can't see him doing it any other way.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

It's a pretty interesting dichotomy though that the AI that wants to enslave people has to be accepted willingly and the AI that wants to save people can be forced on others. It fits into Clarke's narrative that she will do whatever she can to save the people that matters to her, consequences be damned. Also why are we spoilering speculation?

To be fair we know that Alie 1.0 needs to be accepted because Alie told us. We don't know anything about Alie 2.0. It could require acceptance as well for all we know. Or maybe Alie 1.0 is just wrong and is just repeating what her programming does and in reality it doesn't matter if it's willingly accepted or not.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Johnny Truant posted:

Pretty sure they've mentioned before that the chips have to be taken willingly, because of :science:

I guess this show is sponsored by the CIA? "A confession decision made under torture is made willingly nonetheless."

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think it's just so the ALIE people don't just steam roll through everything by shoving chips in people's mouths and holding their mouth shut.

Gotta have drama and 4 torture scenes per episode after all.

Bolton Hairy-Bore
Jul 31, 2013

esperterra posted:

Pretty sure after he found out Raven couldn't remember Finn, Jasper was permanently crossed off the list of people who could maybe be chipped. I feel fairly strongly he would rather put up with Clarke to keep his memories of Maya, than forget the girl altogether just to get back at her killer or 'save' other people.

Plus ALIE has amassed a giant zombie army at this point. Monty's mom tried to kill Octavia under the influence and the only way to stop her was some bullets. No amount of 'but Clarke is the bad guy we haven't killed as many people as her, we're good honest' could get Jasper to willingly take the chip. Like there's no backpedalling ALIE can do now to convince people to join her side without threatening them.

Maybe if someone held a gun to Raven's head, or Octavia's or Monty's, and he was tied down with no chance of pulling a stupid hero move and getting them both killed. Maybe he'd take one then. I just can't see him doing it any other way.

Good points. But this is The 100, where characters change for no reason besides plot convenience. The writers will chip Jasper and then halfassedly try to retroactively justify it.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Well, I didn't read any of that spoilered stuff, and I seem to be waking up on Thursdays and forgetting what day of the week it is, so here is TOMORROW's episode title and description.

:siren: S3 E15 Perverse Instantiation -- Part One :siren:

Clarke finds hope in a place she never expected; Alie's (Erica Cerra) master plan begins to coalesce.

So, I looked up "instantiation": In programming, instantiation is the creation of a real instance or particular realization of an abstraction or template such as a class of objects or a computer process. OR (verb) to provide an instance of or concrete evidence in support of (a theory, concept, claim, or the like).

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
I believe "perverse instantiation" refers to the concept that a program may complete the task you want it to in a way that is catastrophically different to what you intended. For example an AI's solution to overpopulation being to nuke the world.

I might have read that in this thread before so apologies if I'm just regurgitating someone else.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Clarke isn't entirely wrong here...

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So yeah, someone at Arkadia is definitely chipped.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Probably Rowan.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

NOOOOOO FUUUUUCK

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
God drat it you loving suck.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Annnnnd there it is. :awesomelon:

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
So many people predicted it, but I still wanted to believe it wasn't him... Man, this is gonna be rough.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Future RIP Miller's boyfriend.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

raditts posted:

Future RIP Miller's boyfriend.

It's only fair. We've already killed a straight pairing and a lesbian one. Why should the gays get to be happy? :colbert:

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
As they say in Ebonics, "They'd be hosed."

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Man, I wish Bellamy had just shot Jaha when he had the chance.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

TMMadman posted:

Man, I wish Bellamy had just shot Jaha when he had the chance.

You mean you wish he'd shot him better. He definitely successfully shot the guy. Just didn't kill him.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Sometimes it's like Murphy's in his own show, and just fleetingly guest starring in this one, like a crossover with another equally awesome show. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Also, Murphy really is the best now.

• Locked thread