Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

JoshTheStampede posted:

So apparently post civil war there'll be a new Ewing ongoing called US Avengers. Starring Sunspot, Cannonball, Pod, Red Hulk, Squirrel Girl, a new Iron Patriot, and Danielle Cage.

So is New Avengers ending or will Wiccan, Hulking, Hawkeye, Songbird, and White Tiger keep trucking on?

Considering Sunspot kicked himself out of New Avengers during Standoff and there was a big ol' "Time to form the SECRET AVENGERS" complete with logo dialog box I assume this US Avengers stuff is just following through on that idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
And I guess Ewing has time to write another book now that Contest is cancelled.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

JoshTheStampede posted:

And I guess Ewing has time to write another book now that Contest is cancelled.

I need more Ewing in my life. Ultimates is so much my jam. I've only read the first four Contest issues though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

The point was Damian established himself as Robin while Tim Drake was around and literally calling himself "Red Robin", which is the thinnest possible loving variation to the point that it's transparent.

Tim Drake has also been increasingly marginalized because of this. he is the 'also-ran' Robin at this point with a convoluted backstory, much less focus than his counterparts and almost nothing in common with the character he used to be. Damien is Robin, Dick is Nightwing, Jason is Red Hood, Tim Drake is that guy they throw in sometimes when they remember he exists. Pretending like Tim Drake is remotely in the same position he was when he was Real Robin is silly. Half the Bat-writers barely remember he exists at this point. IIRC he's not even on either of the Titans teams now. (It's Damian and Nightwing respectively.)

Toxxupation posted:

And the point was I was directly repudiating a flat declarative "legacy characters can't co-exist with the originals/the originals automatically marginalize the legacies by existing" statement, because it happened and it worked for Batman. And if it can happen for Batman, the single most legacy-averse character in all of comics considering the genetics of the character, then it can happen for anyone.

It didn't work for Batman.Yes, the two characters co-existed briefly. This happens sometimes and it always ends up with the 'other' dying, getting changed to a new superhero identity or otherwise getting written out. Which is exactly what happened to Dick where he went back to being Nightwing.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Norns posted:

I need more Ewing in my life.

You read Loki: Agent of Asgard? Some of the dude's best work.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ImpAtom posted:

Tim Drake has also been increasingly marginalized because of this. he is the 'also-ran' Robin at this point with a convoluted backstory, much less focus than his counterparts and almost nothing in common with the character he used to be. Damien is Robin, Dick is Nightwing, Jason is Red Hood, Tim Drake is that guy they throw in sometimes when they remember he exists. Pretending like Tim Drake is remotely in the same position he was when he was Real Robin is silly. Half the Bat-writers barely remember he exists at this point. IIRC he's not even on either of the Titans teams now. (It's Damian and Nightwing respectively.)

Then that's the legacy character overtaking the "original" in popularity, reinforcing my point. The "original" character was written poorly and given poor stories (which is a creative, not a popularity issue) when Damian came on the scene, which is entirely a problem with the way DC editorial handled the characters and not some flat fiat about how it's impossible for two characters with the same or similar titles to co-exist.

quote:

It didn't work for Batman.Yes, the two characters co-existed briefly. This happens sometimes and it always ends up with the 'other' dying, getting changed to a new superhero identity or otherwise getting written out. Which is exactly what happened to Dick where he went back to being Nightwing.

They co-existed fine until Flashpoint came and ruined everything, because - and this is my entire point - DC editorial is loving trash and ruined a good thing. The whole point I'm making is that Dick Grayson was considered by the fanbase and by the sales numbers a legitimate Batman who carried a book at the same time Bruce Wayne was off on his international adventures, and it's only when DC did yet another one of their godawful line-wide reboots that it was hosed up. There's not a single issue of Batman and Robin where Dick Grayson isn't Batman, including post-Return of Bruce Wayne.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
And yet if you ask people (comics readers, non-comics readers, whoever) who Batman is 100% of them will say Bruce Wayne without a second thought.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

Then that's the legacy character overtaking the "original" in popularity, reinforcing my point.

No it isn't? Tim Drake isn't the original. He had a good long run because they were careful *not* to have him overlap with anyone else. Dick was Nightwing, Jason was dead and Tim was Robin. As soon as there was competition he was massively marginalized because he wasn't the original and wasn't the new hotness. The Robin situation is more complex in that it's a legacy replacing a legacy replacing a legacy replacing a legacy but has never been in real competition with the original because the original got a rare successful rebrand (Nightwing) and so there's been no push to make him Robin again. If for some reason they decided to return Dick Grayson to being Robin, it would not end well for Damian who would have to be rebranded as Batson or something.

The Robin situation is in fact exactly proof of what I'm saying. These characters can co-exist because they get rebranded into new heroes, they're not all Robin. The only two who remotely share an identity show that one of them can't sustain it and in this case it's the legacy hero being eclipsed by a newer shinier legacy hero, not by the original. This isn't uncommon and the only unique thing about Tim Drake is that he lasted as long as he did and that was, again, because for a good long time he was The Robin with no competition whatsoever. He's only clinging on now because of that abnormally long legacy and those legacies lasted as long as they did because DC Editorial was careful not to compromise them rather than going Full Geoff Johns like they have recently.

With Marvel, the "legacy hero" thing is instead done by temporarily shuffling of identities. And maybe you're optimistic but I'm not because I've seen these a thousand times before and there's no reason for me to assume that *this* is the time where Sam Wilson will REALLY remain Captain America for reals and not go back to being The Falcon at some point in the relatively near future. (Probably not until the Hydra Cap plotline is done for obvious reasons.)

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

JoshTheStampede posted:

So apparently post civil war there'll be a new Ewing ongoing called US Avengers. Starring Sunspot, Cannonball, Pod, Red Hulk, Squirrel Girl, a new Iron Patriot, and Danielle Cage.

So is New Avengers ending or will Wiccan, Hulking, Hawkeye, Songbird, and White Tiger keep trucking on?

My god that stache is glorious

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

For some reason I thought Red Hulk was depowered and I'm not sure why.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah, that's good stuff.

Sorry, General Treister, you're only the second-best mustachioed Red Hulk now.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

achillesforever6 posted:

With the dyed hair and the specific proportions of the bulky suit, I wonder if the new Iron Patriot is Darla Deering

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

achillesforever6 posted:

Who's that artist? Something about those faces is very offputting.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Mover posted:

With the dyed hair and the specific proportions of the bulky suit, I wonder if the new Iron Patriot is Darla Deering

Nope, it's Toni Ho.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

For some reason I thought Red Hulk was depowered and I'm not sure why.

He was, in the last Hulk series. I guess either that series kinda got swept away post-SW or Sunspot's science squad is gonna repower him.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Mover posted:

Lurdiak posted:

Who's that artist? Something about those faces is very offputting.
Paco Medina

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

I know that it's the barrel of the tank, but I like to imagine that Red Hulk's kneecap is also a gun.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

What's up with Bobby and the Nate Grey look?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Heathen posted:

What's up with Bobby and the Nate Grey look?

He's dying of M-Pox, maybe that makes your hair streak.

\/\/ Yeah, my wife loves USG but won't read New Avengers because she hates how Paco Medina draws Doreen with the teeth, but that costume is pretty rad.

JoshTheStampede fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 1, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I really hope that Squirrel Girl redesign sticks because it's so good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That's really just her current look with the wrong colors. And more cleavage.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, but the red top/brown belt looks way better than the brown top/red belt.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Lurdiak posted:

Her hair's better, the googles are new, the cravat is a fun addition, I love the leather jacket, and I'm glad the boots are going in more of a Batgirl of Burnside direction.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Well, I hate it. I'd much rather she go back to her goofy classic look, if she's gonna change.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
It woudln't surprise me if she stuck to her current look in USG and wore the red when doing Avengers stuff.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

JoshTheStampede posted:

It woudln't surprise me if she stuck to her current look in USG and wore the red when doing Avengers stuff.

I thought that was obviously what's going on considering it's red and white

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

This Deadpool: Too Soon? miniseries sounds like it'll be really good.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Red Hulk's costume rules. Danielle Cage's is terrible still. Also, love the GIJoe vibe.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 minutes!

achillesforever6 posted:

Can't wait to buy that SG costume in Marvel heroes.

Maybe the new Red Hulk is Tom Selleck?

I really want to see Deadpool and Doreen interact. Deadpool will probably be able to talk to squirrels, and bring up her and Wolverines encounter.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
More Ewing writing Sunspot is the best thing. He's nailing the character so hard, totally picked up the ball where Hickman left it and ran it out of the stadium and a mile down the road. Bless this man for not just taking the character in a completely backwards or different direction.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Who is Danielle cage?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Mr Hootington posted:

Who is Danielle cage?

Luke and Jessica Jones' daughter, grown up, from the future. She showed up in New Avengers before, issue #5.

According to the Marvel Wiki, shes' from the year 20XX, which I guess is different from 2099 where Roberta Mendez, the Captain America from Spider-Man 2099, is from.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

DrProsek posted:

Luke and Jessica Jones' daughter, grown up, from the future. She showed up in New Avengers before, issue #5.

According to the Marvel Wiki, shes' from the year 20XX, which I guess is different from 2099 where Roberta Mendez, the Captain America from Spider-Man 2099, is from.
Is she the one from Ultron Forever?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

redbackground posted:

Is she the one from Ultron Forever?

Indeed she is! According to my Googling, Danielle also appeared in Ultimates at least once.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Why? Why did we need two of them running around? Lol

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Will Iron Marriner and Ant Nova show up too?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I'm disappointed by sexy Pod.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

USAvengers looks great.

More young heroes quitting!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 minutes!

X-O posted:

USAvengers looks great.

More young heroes quitting!

Young Scott can join my new Young Avengers.

I wonder if Doreen will have a Squirrel wearing a Uncle Sam costume?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
July 5th? That's a Tuesday, what the gently caress is happening then?

• Locked thread