Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

quote:

Jews have made up 50% of the top two hundred intellectuals

Who invents this list? How do you rank the intelligence of people who are presumably far above your own?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Who invents this list? How do you rank the intelligence of people who are presumably far above your own?

Check their power levels with your scouter

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
There's of course the issue that there could be millions of people more intelligent - but they're busy working in rice paddies or coal mines or in prison. So the very criteria are already self-selecting in certain ways. But a libertarian could never accept the idea that someone smart could be somehow wasted. The world is just! If they aren't a master of the universe then they obviously don't qualify.

And Christ it pisses me off so much that fifteen years ago I would have read this and nodded in agreement. loving Lew.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cpt_Obvious posted:

It's not even the most intelligent people. It's the top intellectuals. Totally different list.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Golbez posted:

And Christ it pisses me off so much that fifteen years ago I would have read this and nodded in agreement. loving Lew.

Don't be, old you is dead. You murdered them.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It's not even the most intelligent people. It's the top intellectuals. Totally different list.

How do you even measure the top intellectuals? Knowing libertarian reasoning I'd go for lifetime grant funding.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Purple Prince posted:

How do you even measure the top intellectuals?
With a pair of calipers.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Purple Prince posted:

How do you even measure the top intellectuals? Knowing libertarian reasoning I'd go for lifetime grant funding.

A top intellectual is someone with a PhD and knowledge of Gislaine Maxwell's current whereabouts

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The existence of top intellectuals implies the existence of bottom intellectuals and now I want to know who is the bottom intellectual.

Bearing in mind that top intellectual has minimal bearing on quality of take.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

OwlFancier posted:

The existence of top intellectuals implies the existence of bottom intellectuals and now I want to know who is the bottom intellectual.

Bearing in mind that top intellectual has minimal bearing on quality of take.

I'm a switch intellectual

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Power Bottom Intellectual

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Goon Danton posted:

Power Bottom Intellectual

“YES GOD, IM SO loving STUPID! I WILL DIE WITH MY WORK GOING LARGELY UNAPPRECIATED AND FORGOTTEN BY HISTORY! gently caress, YEAH!”

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Philipp Mainländer?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
They are the ones you get to be security guards for your railway so that upper intellectuals can kill them knowing it was right to do so.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

“YES GOD, IM SO loving STUPID! I WILL DIE WITH MY WORK GOING LARGELY UNAPPRECIATED AND FORGOTTEN BY HISTORY! gently caress, YEAH!”

:smith:

That was weirdly accurate.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Cpt_Obvious posted:

As my editor you should probably not out yourself like that.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Captain_Maclaine posted:

As my editor you should probably not out yourself like that.

I want 15 words for "philosophical dog poo poo" on my desk before you leave.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I want 15 words for "philosophical dog poo poo" on my desk before you leave.

But you already have my CV!

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Captain_Maclaine posted:

But you already have my CV!

Brilliant.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/HumansAreMetal/comments/ehi9ni/small_act_can_make_huge_differences/?sort=top

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

So THAT'S where libertarian roads come from, human suffering!

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

https://biblehub.com/matthew/18-6.htm

Actually he would advise hanging a millstone around that persons neck and tossing them into the sea. (literally)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

That's a kind of helping

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i know this sort of thing is low hanging fruit and all, but still...

https://twitter.com/legndofphoenix/status/1212791593654259712

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

I'm in med device R&D, and this is literally never a question we ask. The only questions are of the efficacy of the product and how quickly we can get to market. I've never worked in pharma, but i would be shocked if the R&D folks over there thought along different lines.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Dirk the Average posted:

I'm in med device R&D, and this is literally never a question we ask. The only questions are of the efficacy of the product and how quickly we can get to market. I've never worked in pharma, but i would be shocked if the R&D folks over there thought along different lines.

Then prepare to be shocked if you ever read the Dem Primary thread here in this very subforum.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Dirk the Average posted:

Goldman Sachs isn't in the med R&D business, they are in the med R&D investment business.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Dirk the Average posted:

R&D is typically not the part of the company to make strategic decisions.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

Well, it's good to know that the actual scientists are decent human beings. Unfortunately, learned men rarely make important decisions under capitalism...

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

OwlFancier posted:

Foucault, but he doms from the bottom

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Dirk the Average posted:

Look up what happened with Glybera, the first gene therapy to make it to market. One course of treatment can permanently cure a rare metabolic disorder that's difficult and expensive to treat on an ongoing basis.

The price was set at $1 million based on a market analysis. After all, ongoing treatments can cost a lot of money per year, and there won't be any return customers. The net cost of producing each dose of the drug is high, but nowhere near its price tag - that's just what it would take to hit acceptable ROI for the company that bought the rights from the people who actually developed the treatment.

One person bought it, and then the drug was taken off the market. Three more people received commercial treatment when the inventory was liquidated at one euro. That's it. The free market has decided that everyone else with this disorder isn't worth saving.

The CBC did a decent overview here if you'd like to read more: https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/longform/glybera

E: it's worth noting that the R&D people - here, a public university - didn't think about the market either, and focused on developing an amazing treatment that made the cover of a major journal before it was yanked. But the larger pharma apparatus still killed it, because R&D is just one step between raw materials and making sick people better totally sick profits

Space Gopher fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 3, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Dirk the Average posted:

You'll note that it's not a pharmaceutical or medical device company asking the question, it's an investment bank. And it doesn't matter how many well-meaning people are involved at the backend of the medical industry, if the actual point where doctors and treatments meet patients has to be justified from a free-market profit perspective, those questions will be asked.

And the answer is no, it's not an effective profit model, and it continues to become less effective as the income gap widens and the economy decays and there's less money to extort. I think they're hitting the point where they're finding that some people can just tank massive cost increases, and the others couldn't pay costs as they are now, which is why there's all these individual products having their costs spike as the companies try feeling out how much they can get away with. That's just the official list price too, since the bulk of their business they do with insurance companies that they inevitable cut deals with, so you'll see massive discounts on the massive markups, and the whole industry is a mess. Potentially there's some confluence of circumstances that could align profitability with effectiveness of treatment, but there's absolutely nothing linking them together.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Crossposting from the bad photography thread in the Dorkroom, a mildly :nws: set of photos (others on the account are worse so click carefully) with a very choice book included:

https://twitter.com/Panther688/status/1143696479535558656

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Someone bought the early-life crisis deluxe package.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Crossposting from the bad photography thread in the Dorkroom, a mildly :nws: set of photos (others on the account are worse so click carefully) with a very choice book included:

WTF. Why. Why would you post this. What the gently caress. Holy poo poo why. Jesus.

Edit: It's like the uncanny valley was inverted into a boner.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Cpt_Obvious posted:

WTF. Why. Why would you post this. What the gently caress. Holy poo poo why. Jesus.

Edit: It's like the uncanny valley was inverted into a boner.

Turn on your monitor

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Cognac McCarthy posted:

At first, I thought this was Alessandra Mussolini showing off a new sports car. In seconds, the reality became somehow worse.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Crossposting my response to that from the same thread.

Helen Highwater posted:

I was visiting my inlaws in Colorado one time and we went to visit some friends of theirs for dinner one evening. Pretty standard family setting, suburban house, older parents, one daughter about my age at the time (mid 30s), son in late 20s. We get there and the parents and the daughter are getting everything together in the kitchen, the son isn't there yet because he has been travelling and is on his way home still.

A car pulls up outside. It's a converted minivan with a sliding door. "Oh God!" says the father. "He's brought his girlfriend." Guy hops out the front. Normal-seeming, reasonably in-shape dude wearing regular urban fashion stuff. He waves at us in the kitchen and slides open the side of the van where there's a wheelchair ramp. This gets unfolded and a few minutes later he's wheeling a chair up the driveway. Father goes to the door.

"Leave it in the car!"

"But she's cold!"

"I don't care, don't bring it into the house. We have guests tonight."

Argument continues for a while. Father compromises on letting him into the house if the girlfriend stays in another room. Son insists that this is disrespectful to her and digs in. I'm pretty sure that violence is about to happen when the mother steps in and says it will be ok, she can come to the table.

That was the most loving awkward dinner I've ever been at. There was this life-size doll in a wheelchair, complete with makeup, expensive looking clothes and jewellery. Everyone else at the table was either grinding their jaws in impotent rage or studiously pretending that it wasn't there. The son kept trying to involve the doll in conversations by asking it what its opinion was. Then he'd lean over with his ear near its mouth and make some kind of reaction. Everytime he referred ta a woman or actual female humans he'd be careful to qualify them with the term bio-women. It would be like "Oh, i was driving home and there was a bio-woman in the outside lane just texting on her phone, can you believe that!" Or "My friend who is a bio-woman called Judy says that...." He was telling us about how he had to go away for a week recently and he was so glad to be home again because his girlfriend had missed him so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

The part about those photos that really gets me is just, like, imagine you were walking along that road or that beach and saw that dude setting up his fuckdoll for a photo-shoot. What the gently caress do you even do? It's like the social equivalent of trying to divide by zero.