Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

I got this one. http://www.amazon.com/Dowco-50124-00-Guardian-WeatherAll-Motorcycle/dp/B000HS1356 Works pretty well, no complaints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

M42 posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a completely waterproof (not just "water resistant") bike cover with heat shields and vent panels, >$70?

http://www.revzilla.com/product/nelson-rigg-falcon-defender-cover

That's what I have, and I haven't had any rain get through it. My bike stays parked outside in Chicago suburbs from March/April to October/November and it's survived much better than the cheaper ones from Wal-Mart. I can't say how well the heat resistant part of it is, because I always leave my bike parked for an hour or so before I cover it up, just to give it time to cool off (I don't want to find my cover melted to it one day).

CraigSlice
Sep 23, 2005
: )
Maybe someone will know before I go in at it blind and all I can find online is out some wd40 on it.

2009 triumph america

It was pissing rain yesterday and now my throttle sticks hard, works good as cruise control though. So I took the one screw on the outside of the throttle out and it no longer sticks, but as soon as I tighten it, it sticks again. Anyone have an idea on what's causing it to stick?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Is it adjusted too tight?

CraigSlice
Sep 23, 2005
: )
Said screw? Its either snug and it sticks or loose enough that it'll slowly unscrew itself from twisting the throttle.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
There should be a lock nut on it too. Fix it in place with that.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I've budgeted $100 out of my next paycheck to go towards motorcycle stuff. Right now I've got a decent helmet, gloves, jacket and I wear combat boots and jeans. The bike itself needs replacement mirrors (the ones I have now are too low, all I see is my arms), a replacement turn signal (covering is busted). That's all the need to have stuff, there's also nice to have like a way to listen to music/turn by turn, etc.

I'm thinking of picking up some riding pants, a replacement pair of turn signals, and some better mirrors. What would you guys buy? I've been riding for about a month now and most of my riding is city stuff. Lots of stop and go, not a whole lot of high speed.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

SquadronROE posted:

I've budgeted $100 out of my next paycheck to go towards motorcycle stuff. Right now I've got a decent helmet, gloves, jacket and I wear combat boots and jeans. The bike itself needs replacement mirrors (the ones I have now are too low, all I see is my arms), a replacement turn signal (covering is busted). That's all the need to have stuff, there's also nice to have like a way to listen to music/turn by turn, etc.

I'm thinking of picking up some riding pants, a replacement pair of turn signals, and some better mirrors. What would you guys buy? I've been riding for about a month now and most of my riding is city stuff. Lots of stop and go, not a whole lot of high speed.

For $100 you can get some fairly good mirrors. That's about it. Entry level pants are about $150-200 base.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

ShaneB posted:

For $100 you can get some fairly good mirrors. That's about it. Entry level pants are about $150-200 base.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/44847/i/bikemaster-round-mirror?WT.ac=SLIsearch

Am I missing something? Two of those would do the job and aren't $100. Pants are probably more expensive though.

EDIT: Oh, not convex. I see that now. Nevermind.

turn it up TURN ME ON fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Aug 14, 2014

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

SquadronROE posted:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/44847/i/bikemaster-round-mirror?WT.ac=SLIsearch

Am I missing something? Two of those would do the job and aren't $100. Pants are probably more expensive though.

EDIT: Oh, not convex. I see that now. Nevermind.

I just have a really high bar for mirrors because I hate shaky and/or non-convex mirrors. But you could go cheaper than $100, I was mildly exaggerating. Indicators and mirrors for $100 is possible with cheap bike master indicator stuff sure.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Look around to see what OEM mirrors would work with your setup that you can snag on ebay. They will perform better than the bikemaster stuff.

Supple Moisture
Sep 11, 2009

TH3 TROLL W1TH NO F34R
So, last Saturday I was getting off an exit ramp, hit a little patch of debris, and took a little spill. My bike (Ninja 250) took a little while to turn over, but I eventually got it running again, and the only visible damage is a missing front right turn signal, and a missing bolt in the handlebar that I'm about to replace. I hurt my knee a little bit, so I gave it a couple of days to heal before I started riding again.

Fast forward to yesterday, and I notice that the bike just feels kinda...strange? The front end of the bike feels really light, almost like I'm driving on ice. Braking also seems to make the front end lean in forward way more than I remember it. I don't really have a good reference point, but the stopping distance also seems to be a bit longer than before. I stopped the motorcycle and put the front brakes on and started to pull and push on the handlebars, and it seems like the forks are offering very little resistance. I've had this thing for about 3 weeks now, so I'm pretty new with the technical stuff, but this is because of the fork oil, right? Is there a chance that the fork oil somehow leaked out during the accident, or might all of this be because of something else? I'm planning on doing a bunch of stuff to it this weekend, but I really don't like the way the bike feels right now; I'm scared to enter turns and going over bumps in the road feels pretty unsafe at the moment.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Could be that the front end is tweaked a bit and that the fork tubes are jamming slightly in their motion. You can straighten it by loosening all bolts eyeballing and retightening, but the topic is probably well covered on a searchable Ninja 250 forum.
Unless there were visible oil leaks, the innards should be fine. I had a fork oil leak once that dripped onto the brake disc when the bike was on the sidestand. That was :waycool:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Probably tweaked forks like Ola said, also probably some of it is in your head too.

Supple Moisture
Sep 11, 2009

TH3 TROLL W1TH NO F34R
Ah, I see, thanks!

I know that some of it is in my head, I'm still trying to force my brain to realize that the reason that the bike slipped out on the turn was because of a bunch of grease and garbage in the middle of the ramp, but something is definitely going on other than that. The entire bike just feels kinda...floaty and twitchy.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Loosen up the triples, put the wheel between your legs and wrestle the front end straight again. Thats usually all it takes, a little tipover shouldnt have bent your forks. As for the brakes, if no braking component actually touched down, the worst that could have happened is a little bit of air snuck into the line from the master cylinder, at most thats a brake bleed.

Also, like RBL said, you're probably hyper-aware of every small detail with the front end right now because you're looking for something to be wrong.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Gripping up too tight on the bars can make them feel twitchy too, and it's a common thing to happen after your first spill.

It's advice I keep repeating but it's a really good idea, before you set off and whenever you're stopped, to take a deep breath and consciously tighten up all of your muscles then relax as you let the breath out. You'll be surprised how many muscles you weren't even aware were tense suddenly loosen up when you do this, and after a while you'll have trained yourself to recognise it and loosen them up subconsciously.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Loosen up the triples, put the wheel between your legs and wrestle the front end straight again. Thats usually all it takes, a little tipover shouldnt have bent your forks. As for the brakes, if no braking component actually touched down, the worst that could have happened is a little bit of air snuck into the line from the master cylinder, at most thats a brake bleed.

Also, like RBL said, you're probably hyper-aware of every small detail with the front end right now because you're looking for something to be wrong.

This. I went down on my 500 not too long ago and noticed the steering felt off. I loosened the mid triple clamps, lower fork clamps and axle and just compressed the fork and shook it around a bit and that seemed to do the trick.

Here's a video I watched, as well as a link to the ninjette wiki that should help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSunBRB6-r8

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/I_need_to_realign_my_forks_and_front_wheel

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
There is a widening throttle null-zone, and I'm not sure what I need to adjust.

If I'm braping (sumo) along at say a 30% throttle opening, when I close the throttle the bike jerks backward (relatively), and then open the throttle the bike jerks forward. It's as if anything below 10% throttle opening doesn't apply, and the effect is the rpm cuts out early, and roars back late.

What's happening here?

Edit: Don't worry, other than low speed maneuvering described above, I'm at 100% throttle opening all of the time *sumo lyfe*

epswing fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 15, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Girly's hyosung does this sometimes so I'd be interested to know what it could be, too.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

epalm posted:

If I'm braping (sumo) along at say a 30% throttle opening, when I close the throttle the bike jerks backward (relatively), and then open the throttle the bike jerks forward. It's as if anything below 10% throttle opening doesn't apply, and the effect is the rpm cuts out early, and roars back late.

What's happening here?

Edit: Don't worry, other than low speed maneuvering described above, I'm at 100% throttle opening all of the time *sumo lyfe*

Sounds like there's tons of slack in the throttle cable. There's a spring in the carb that wants to close it, so when there's no tension it will tuck the slack in. But when you went to get on the throttle again, you have to reel in the slack and the spring.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

So I can afford either a decent set of motorcycle pants or a pair of good boots. Not sure which I should go for this month.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

SquadronROE posted:

So I can afford either a decent set of motorcycle pants or a pair of good boots. Not sure which I should go for this month.

Buy the pants!

Then next month, buy the shoes.

Once you have both, ride the bike again,

[fanfare plays, ATGATT scrolls over screen]

M42
Nov 12, 2012

epalm posted:

I thought that was normal :psyduck:

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

M42 posted:

I thought that was normal :psyduck:

yeah my ninja does this through low end first gear and I figured it was just a thing it does because its not in the power band yet.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Ola posted:

Sounds like there's tons of slack

Team Ola takes this round. Adjusting throttle free play can eliminate all sorts of downstream annoyances that you would never attribute to this very minor task. On my bike, low speed maneuvers were almost impossible and it had to be finessed because the motor was luggy all the way up. Two 3/8 wrenches and about 5 minutes. Night and day.

Took a Brit to get this through my thick head:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=THQgMLjBMXw

Marv Hushman fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 16, 2014

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

epalm posted:

What's happening here?

My FZR did this too. Actually it would do the "I don't know how to drive stick" pilot induced oscillation that would get worse until I pulled in the clutch.
I finally fixed it by opening up the mixture screws about another turn each. Even though it started and ran perfectly fine it must have been lean as hell. Now it's smooth and I can hold it at small throttle openings/low RPM without it jerking all over the place.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Gawd drat, this whole time I've been trying to hone my low speed skill and getting frustrated when the drat bike would jerk around no matter how expertly the clutch was feathered. I thought I just sucked really bad. Turns out I just suck really bad at cleaning the carbs in a timely manner.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I think some bikes are just more susceptible to it than others. When I got my Suzuki it had a pilot screw almost falling out on one carb and a blocked pilot jet on another and it still idled and rode fine at low RPM.
The Yamaha I rebuilt and synced the carbs and then fine tuned the screws with my IR thermometer. It started and idled beautifully but it still did the jerky low RPM poo poo. It was driving me nuts and I had the carbs off several times trying to get it figured out. I finally thought about the problem and came to the conclusion that it was lean surging and needed the screws out more. After that it's been great.

shrimp fried rice 4-EVA
Feb 2, 2012

Holding my breath and I'm playing for keeps.

So 8A is apparently a drain bolt. What is this thing used for?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

FluffyDice posted:

So 8A is apparently a drain bolt. What is this thing used for?

Taking exhaust samples.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Ola posted:

Buy the pants!

Then next month, buy the shoes.

Once you have both, ride the bike again,

[fanfare plays, ATGATT scrolls over screen]

Hah, I'm leaning towards pants. I've got a sturdy set of jungle boots I wear now, they're just a little tough to gear change in.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
So after taking the clutch out on my cbr250, I still can't see what might be the cause for the squeaking I've had (plates were a bit burnt, but nothing alarming, they were all there).

Just to make things more enjoyable, my torque wrench had tolerances that were set too high and one of the loving bolts broke in the clutch cover. Have to find a way to get it out now, order some new bolts, put everything back together and figure out what the hell is the issue. At least there's nothing obviously broken/wrong!

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

SquadronROE posted:

Hah, I'm leaning towards pants. I've got a sturdy set of jungle boots I wear now, they're just a little tough to gear change in.

Have you looked on ebay? I picked up a pair of pants on a "make an offer" option on there for 50 bucks shipped tonight. If you're low on cash like me its always an option.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Minkee posted:

Have you looked on ebay? I picked up a pair of pants on a "make an offer" option on there for 50 bucks shipped tonight. If you're low on cash like me its always an option.

I'm a bit nervous about eBay because from the few pairs of pants I've tried on, most are too long for my stubby legs.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Sorry if this has already been answered, I couldn't find it; I'm a 23 year old college student living with my grandfather and I want a motorcycle as a first vehicle. He's been teaching me to drive for awhile now and has a lot of trust in me, but I'm still concerned about bringing it up. He can be old-fashion and stubborn. I've read up on the state laws and ready to sign up for classes at a local college, plus I'd always wear a helmet, gloves and a jacket (though it is Florida so I'd need to find something that doesn't hold heat). It's something I've been putting some serious thought into for the past several months.

Am I stupid and should just get a car? Suggestions on how to bring it up to him? Has anyone here convinced/attempted to convince a parent or whatnot to let them get a bike? How'd it go?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

SquadronROE posted:

I'm a bit nervous about eBay because from the few pairs of pants I've tried on, most are too long for my stubby legs.

Most riding pants are deliberately made long because you're supposed to have them hemmed to the right length after you buy them.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

HotCanadianChick posted:

Most riding pants are deliberately made long because you're supposed to have them hemmed to the right length after you buy them.

Also because when you're on the bike your trousers ride up.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

rizuhbull posted:

Sorry if this has already been answered, I couldn't find it; I'm a 23 year old college student living with my grandfather and I want a motorcycle as a first vehicle. He's been teaching me to drive for awhile now and has a lot of trust in me, but I'm still concerned about bringing it up. He can be old-fashion and stubborn. I've read up on the state laws and ready to sign up for classes at a local college, plus I'd always wear a helmet, gloves and a jacket (though it is Florida so I'd need to find something that doesn't hold heat). It's something I've been putting some serious thought into for the past several months.

Am I stupid and should just get a car? Suggestions on how to bring it up to him? Has anyone here convinced/attempted to convince a parent or whatnot to let them get a bike? How'd it go?

I don't think you're stupid.

I don't know your grandpa, so I can't really tell you what will work for sure. He's probably about the age of my parents, though, so I know how that can be. Your best bet is probably to take the class first, if you can. You're not going behind his back, but it's a good idea for you to be sure you want to do this before you have to (possibly) defend it to somoene else. If you're wishy-washy about it, he'll know. Be sure you really do want to ride.

Do you have any friends who ride who aren't dongs? Specific question, I know, but if you have at least one responsible (at least outwardly!) friend who rides, that's going to look a lot better than if all your friends are donging around and getting into accidents on a weekly basis. Do you have any relatives who ride? That's another good way to go. In my case, none of my family or friends ride, so I didn't have this option, but you might. It's also fun to ride with other people, and if they're good riders, that's even better. You'll learn a lot and not develop bad habits.

Do you know anyone who has dirt bikes who'd be willing to let you practice for a month or so? That's another good thing. I think it's going to come down to your grandpa feeling like you're not going to be riding like a dipshit and getting yourself kilt.

I'd probably suggest that you a.) do a lot of driving a car, and b.) ride dirt bikes/take a class/practice a lot. Driving a car is definitely a different experience, but if you're pretty new to driving in general, do it in a car and start learning how to judge whether other people are going to murder you on the roads or not. You'll start to see patterns in how they move, look behind, etc., and it'll help you when you're on a bike, too. Being traffic-psychic is a lifesaver, but it takes time to develop.

Lastly, check out the gear thread and the crash thread. Jacket, gloves, and boots are cool and all, but pants are going to be important as well. People tend to slide/skid/roll on their legs a lot in an accident. Protect your leg meat! In Florida, I'd highly recommend some good mesh gear. You want breathable stuff, and when it rains, you'll probably want something that allows airflow but keeps you dry (I think Frogg Toggz are pretty good for that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Lynza posted:

I don't think you're stupid.

I don't know your grandpa, so I can't really tell you what will work for sure. He's probably about the age of my parents, though, so I know how that can be. Your best bet is probably to take the class first, if you can. You're not going behind his back, but it's a good idea for you to be sure you want to do this before you have to (possibly) defend it to somoene else. If you're wishy-washy about it, he'll know. Be sure you really do want to ride.

Do you have any friends who ride who aren't dongs? Specific question, I know, but if you have at least one responsible (at least outwardly!) friend who rides, that's going to look a lot better than if all your friends are donging around and getting into accidents on a weekly basis. Do you have any relatives who ride? That's another good way to go. In my case, none of my family or friends ride, so I didn't have this option, but you might. It's also fun to ride with other people, and if they're good riders, that's even better. You'll learn a lot and not develop bad habits.

Do you know anyone who has dirt bikes who'd be willing to let you practice for a month or so? That's another good thing. I think it's going to come down to your grandpa feeling like you're not going to be riding like a dipshit and getting yourself kilt.

I'd probably suggest that you a.) do a lot of driving a car, and b.) ride dirt bikes/take a class/practice a lot. Driving a car is definitely a different experience, but if you're pretty new to driving in general, do it in a car and start learning how to judge whether other people are going to murder you on the roads or not. You'll start to see patterns in how they move, look behind, etc., and it'll help you when you're on a bike, too. Being traffic-psychic is a lifesaver, but it takes time to develop.

Lastly, check out the gear thread and the crash thread. Jacket, gloves, and boots are cool and all, but pants are going to be important as well. People tend to slide/skid/roll on their legs a lot in an accident. Protect your leg meat! In Florida, I'd highly recommend some good mesh gear. You want breathable stuff, and when it rains, you'll probably want something that allows airflow but keeps you dry (I think Frogg Toggz are pretty good for that).
Great info, thanks.

The course requires "Long Pants* *Long Sleeve Shirt or Jacket* *Sturdy Over The Ankle Boots* *Eye Protection* *Full Finger Gloves*. Should I go right out and buy all this? Can I probably rent from somewhere? I don't want to buy all this equipment to only find out I don't want to ride and have to sell it.