Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
I like the regular Griffin armor, but the enhanced versions have too many golden bits in them, which doesn't really suit Geralt imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
I learned to use/make a build around the Bear Armor just because of how consistently good the set looks.

Thing that gets me/doesn't wholly make sense to me is how Drowners aren't blockable. Which annoys me because they attack about as fast as Nekkers do.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Drowners are the sprt of thing you jump in slash barrel roll out and set them on fire on higher difficulties anything other than taking your time will lead to a pretty sudden death for such a garbage enemy.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Rygar201 posted:

Unless you play Total War games, hah.

Total War Games and XCOM 2

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
The best thing when fighting a whole group of Nekkers is having the slow-down-time-reaction potion active and killing them when they are mid-backflip.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Witcher 3 has actually overheated my cpu where no total war or xcom 2 has yet.

Now it wasnt always that way and i probably need to make sure thermal compound and fans are applied and working properly but honestly if my cpu failed it would be an excuse to replace the oldest parts of my system.

Veeta
Dec 23, 2011

... καὶ ὡς ὑπὸ βελῶν τοῖς σοῖς κατατρωθήσονται ῥήμασιν.
I quite enjoyed the variety and colour of a lot of the armours early in the game. Gearing up my fast attack focused Geralt in a bright aketon, baggy hunter trousers and some purple leather gloves made for a very fun landsknecht-looking sort of character. Feline armor looks nice, but quite muted in comparison. Like Arcsquad12 I'm looking forward to the dyes in Blood and Wine, so I can jazz it up a bit.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

I AM BRAWW posted:

The best thing when fighting a whole group of Nekkers is having the slow-down-time-reaction potion active and killing them when they are mid-backflip.

Wait, is that what Blizzard does?

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Rygar201 posted:

Most of my experience of the slowdown effect came from the Frenzy ability under Alchemy (whenever you've got toxicity time slows down on each enemy attack). Though it seems like Blizzard would also do that?

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Rygar201 posted:

Blizzard seems to only slowdown during like, the last few seconds for me. I'm not quite sure how it's properly suppose to work, but I definitely have seen stuff go slow-motion when it's been active and close to ending mid-fight.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Meta-Mollusk posted:

I like the regular Griffin armor, but the enhanced versions have too many golden bits in them, which doesn't really suit Geralt imo.

it is I, Geralt, a modest monster hunter

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Meta-Mollusk posted:

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/457/

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Han Nehi posted:

This is the same reason I didn't go for the HoS armor sets. Geralt gets into some grody stuff when he's working, a flowing silken robe wouldn't suit him at all.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The wolf set looks the least doofus-like and it sucks that it comes in at a kind of garbage time for the stats

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

I just left off at Mastercrafted Ursine gear, because it looks great and has good stats. I thought about crafting the Ofieri or Viper gear though

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Wearing a complete set of flashy armor should trigger an alternate walk mode where you strut in towns, bemoan the peasantry and try to step over the poo poo in the streets. You take on a high pitched foppish accent and you get heckled to gently caress and back by every npc.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i wear the starter armor. i was very happen when the dlc starter armor was improved for level 30 geralt. i hope they do that again in blood and wine.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

hemophilia posted:

Wearing a complete set of flashy armor should trigger an alternate walk mode where you strut in towns, bemoan the peasantry and try to step over the poo poo in the streets. You take on a high pitched foppish accent and you get heckled to gently caress and back by every npc.

CDPR please add a Vlodomir mode toggle so Geralt can switch between running, walking, and strutting around hands on hips like a baller.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

CDPR please add a Vlodomir mode toggle so Geralt can switch between running, walking, and strutting around hands on hips like a baller.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Is there a mod that makes every armor look like ursine armor? Honestly don't need anything else.

edit: ok maybe wolven too.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

So I bought this a few days ago along with the season pass, but is it a better idea just to wait until the final expansion pack is out before starting the game? Its fine if its a yes, I can be patient.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Gorn Myson posted:

So I bought this a few days ago along with the season pass, but is it a better idea just to wait until the final expansion pack is out before starting the game? Its fine if its a yes, I can be patient.

This game, without any EPs, is huge. Like, so huge I think it'll take you well past the release date of Blood and Wine to get past level 10 or so, especially if you do a lot of side-quests.

Even if you don't and bum-rush the main quest, the game plops you into freeplay mode, which I'm sure you can reach DLC quests and campaigns from.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Oxxidation posted:

This is the same reason I didn't go for the HoS armor sets. Geralt gets into some grody stuff when he's working, a flowing silken robe wouldn't suit him at all.

Lazy day robe Dude Geralt is the best though :v:

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Bluhman posted:

This game, without any EPs, is huge. Like, so huge I think it'll take you well past the release date of Blood and Wine to get past level 10 or so, especially if you do a lot of side-quests.

Even if you don't and bum-rush the main quest, the game plops you into freeplay mode, which I'm sure you can reach DLC quests and campaigns from.
Ah its fine, I'm not worried about reaching that content any time soon, I'm just curious if the expansion pack enough about the core gameplay that it would be a better idea to just start from scratch when it comes out. I've seen a few people talk about some big alterations, but I've not seen anything concrete.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have a 980 ti and I think the performance is wonky, I have everything max to the gills and get anyweres between 50 and 60 fps.

Although in Novigrad I get a perfect 60 :psyduck:

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Gorn Myson posted:

Ah its fine, I'm not worried about reaching that content any time soon, I'm just curious if the expansion pack enough about the core gameplay that it would be a better idea to just start from scratch when it comes out. I've seen a few people talk about some big alterations, but I've not seen anything concrete.
To my knowledge the DLC should keep the same game mechanics at core? Like, I haven't actually played Hearts of Stone yet so I wouldn't know how it's really handled. Sorry.

Abu Dave posted:

I have a 980 ti and I think the performance is wonky, I have everything max to the gills and get anyweres between 50 and 60 fps.

Although in Novigrad I get a perfect 60 :psyduck:

What's the processor you're using? Novigrad's the area that seems to stress it the most, and that combined with generally short lines-of-sight mean that it's going to probably give your GPU a break.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Capn Beeb posted:

Lazy day robe Dude Geralt is the best though :v:

I need this.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Gorn Myson posted:

I would say go ahead and get started, there aren't any significant changes to gameplay and content from the expansion. They are updating the UI, which has some definite lovely parts right now, but I don't think that's worth waiting.

The base game has a solid 80-100 hours of content, I would say just go for it and start in. It is seriously one of the best games I've ever played, the writing and world-building is consistently amazing across a huge open world. The new expansion isn't changing much to the base game and since the expansions are end-game leveled anyhow, you might as well get Witchering!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What sorts of UI changes are coming? That sounds nice.

Rygar201 posted:

I just left off at Mastercrafted Ursine gear, because it looks great and has good stats. I thought about crafting the Ofieri or Viper gear though

I like the mastercrafted Feline set, too. I'm not a huge fan of the rest of the Feline gear, but the mastercrafted one is nice.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Griffin armour looks good if you have the friendly mutton-stache and the elven rebel haircut. Embrace Geralt's Dadness.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Han Nehi posted:

I'm about halfway through the game and this jpg just confirmed I'm doing all of the rest of the griffin set now. How much work is it to upgrade armor sets? It feels like I dove into that cave to get the griffin armor recipes like two weeks ago and I'm just now finding the mats for the second piece, every craftsman I go to is the wrong kind or too low skill, next thing you know it you're always level 18 putting on your 'new' level 12 armor.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

extra stout posted:

I'm about halfway through the game and this jpg just confirmed I'm doing all of the rest of the griffin set now. How much work is it to upgrade armor sets? It feels like I dove into that cave to get the griffin armor recipes like two weeks ago and I'm just now finding the mats for the second piece, every craftsman I go to is the wrong kind or too low skill, next thing you know it you're always level 18 putting on your 'new' level 12 armor.

Most of the good crafters require you to complete a quest to use them, which can have some pretty tough fights. So your armor can be somewhat level-locked, but you might be able to Dark Souls your way through them if you need it earlier.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

extra stout posted:

That's not the griffin set, FYI. I'm not sure what it is actually, but it looks cool.

If you want to start planning ahead for the most cool looking armor you can get, this page shows you most of the good endgame stuff and tells you how to get/craft it. I guess it's kind of spoilery if tracking down treasure maps and hunting down rare mats is the kind of thing you enjoy doing for yourself, but if you're like me and find that kind of thing to be tedious busywork, then clicking it will save you some time.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

extra stout posted:

That's just Nilfgaardian armor.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Ainsley McTree posted:

That's not the griffin set, FYI. I'm not sure what it is actually, but it looks cool.

If you want to start planning ahead for the most cool looking armor you can get, this page shows you most of the good endgame stuff and tells you how to get/craft it. I guess it's kind of spoilery if tracking down treasure maps and hunting down rare mats is the kind of thing you enjoy doing for yourself, but if you're like me and find that kind of thing to be tedious busywork, then clicking it will save you some time.

Thanks for three replies but especially this link, also I wasted my poo poo life on griffin armor which actually does not look that cool, back to the drawing board

Also is it confirmed which armors will get upgrades in Blood and Wine and which can be dyed? I want to comment on how retarded viper set glasses look but I'm worried it's a spoiler and Geralt loses his vision in a quest I haven't done yet

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

extra stout posted:

I want to comment on how retarded viper set glasses look but I'm worried it's a spoiler and Geralt loses his vision in a quest I haven't done yet

What a terrible opinion you have there

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Holy crap Shani's party is weird. I stop by her house one evening and she tells me to go get booze--that we're gonna get together with some creep named Dandelion--and to also invite a friend. I can immediately tell that neither Shani nor Dandelion are my friend because I cannot invite either of them. Zoltan is my only friend, but I'm having a lot of trouble finding him. Great.

My biggest regret is that Geralt can't just show up to the party with some random hooker he paid to accompany him. I know you can bring Carmen but that's completely different. It would be a thousand times easier and completely lore-friendly for Geralt to just step outside, point at one of them with a "you", and satisfy Shani's arbitrary criteria.

Anyway, so I'm running around the dark streets looking for Zoltan. At some point I return to Shani and she reiterates that I bring a friend and then mentions something offhand about Dandelion, who is still in hiding. She's just sitting in the dark by herself.

I decide to meditate at her house until 8 AM, at which point I promptly bump in Zoltan on the street and invite him to the party. "Bring booze," Zoltan demands, almost as if he can tell how horrible it's going to be. So I return to Shani's by myself and find that Dandelion has decided to finally reveal himself--he and Shani are standing on opposite sides of the room. She's basically like, "There he is Geralt, go walk over to him." I felt like I was walking into some kind of trap.

I talk to Dandelion, who takes about 30 seconds before launching into some drug-addled hypothetical about vampires, only for Zoltan to show up and hijack the conversation with ramblings about booze. It's not even 9 AM and I'm getting poo poo-hammered without actually seeing Geralt drink.

Then we have a series of borderline non-sequitur conversations, stitched together with really stilted dialogue and camera angles. The whole time I was on edge, expecting Zoltan to cut Dandelion's head off or for Shani to reveal herself as a succubus. I feel like I like Shani about ten times less after this whole experience.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 23, 2016

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Haha, yeah... there are a few moments in the Witcher 1 that can kinda make you question your sanity. That part is probably one of the worst offenders. I think the cutscene at the start of Act 1 (where the girl and Alvin are getting chased by the dog) is another good one, at least when they get inside the barricades and the camera just cuts around to these various people reacting. It's so drat awkward.
Never tried playing with polish voices, maybe it's less awkward there?

I liked the Zoltan's voiceactor in 2 and 3 (it's the same one right? Memory's kinda hazy...) but I do remember missing his voice from Witcher 1 when I went into Witcher 2.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Pellisworth posted:

Baron: I'm a killer, it's all my fault, I'm a monster.

Geralt:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Has anybody seen my daughter?
                                                                                                                               /