Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

2banks1swap.avi posted:

it's a play people drop to sound important to themselves about waiting on someone who never shows up and POSTMODERNISM and ALLEGORY

and breaking a belt trying to hang yourself and pants falling down

you seem a bit anti-knowing/understanding things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

2banks1swap.avi posted:

it's a play people drop to sound important to themselves about waiting on someone who never shows up and POSTMODERNISM and ALLEGORY

no i know what it is i played ace attorney 3

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

2banks1swap.avi posted:

if at first you don't succeed.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
2banks did you kill anybody when you were in iraq

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
fun fact, i wrote a tail recursikn for an interview and they sid it was just an iterative function calling itself.

i did not get an offer and the arguing did not help

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Mr Dog posted:

the last people you want to learn programming from is yosposters

i'm teaching regular expressions on thursday, you have been warned

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
I'm still able to laugh when I think back to my data structures teacher stammering and struggling with "recursion" in a class full of people who had already made it past the weed out courses.

One guy who was a Rubynerd got up and left over it. Everyone else started groaning louder and louder.

It's kind of sad. The professor's resume and CV is practically a mile long and he has done a hell of a lot. He hasn't published in 10 years, though, and is honestly very old. I'm pretty sure he's only around because the CS dept where I went to school was having some attrition problems - we only had one adviser for everyone doing CS, CIS, and IT, for instance.

Pivots with trees to do self balancing trees was also hilarious to listen to.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

maybe the dude was just senile

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

qntm posted:

i'm teaching regular expressions on thursday, you have been warned

make them do palindromes

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

Pollyanna posted:

maybe the dude was just senile

honestly? he probably is. I can't fault him, but on the other hand, I went in already knowing everything he went over except shell sort so I was bored to tears

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

gucci void main posted:

because that would require learning another language

what was that article where the guy literally suggested that everyone should standardize on using javascript for everything, to avoid confusion?

2banks1swap.avi posted:

C is enriching but isn't going to get you a job. Java would though.

lol

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

FamDav posted:

2banks did you kill anybody when you were in iraq

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
2banks1swap, you've made four pages of posts in four weeks, and they range from 'whitenoise' to 'petulant childish whining'.

you are a bad poster and you really need to settle down and stop whinging about all the ways your clearly sub-par education has wronged you.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
he killed your father, famdav.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

So if I divided the total number of C jobs out there by the total number of Java jobs out there is my number less than one?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

2banks1swap.avi posted:

So if I divided the total number of C jobs out there by the total number of Java jobs out there is my number less than one?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

2banks1swap.avi posted:

it's also a pretty funny play -- the dialogue is not bad at all

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

I'll shut up for the rest of the week if you give me your source for that since I rather like C.

I'll shut up for a month if I get hired :q:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

*Average language mentions per post*

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

prefect posted:

it's also a pretty funny play -- the dialogue is not bad at all

i much prefer rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead, but i can't articulate why

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shaggar posted:

oh. lol. that's literally what that graph is

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

Shaggar posted:

offer retracted because that's not job listings :smith:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Otto Skorzeny posted:

i much prefer rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead, but i can't articulate why

the movie is fantastic, even if you're not a pretentious artsy person

and if you're just artsy enough to have read hamlet, it's even better

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

2banks1swap.avi posted:

One guy who was a Rubynerd got up and left over it. Everyone else started groaning louder and louder.

well, if the ruby guy got up and left

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
Right so if I look at the entire loving USA and count C++ to be generous there are 2x the Java jobs as C jobs on indeed.

If I count out c++ it's a little over 1:4 C:Java

Come on at least be genuine, seriously.

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

yay for protoss being so simple that retards can win with it
things i've learned against my will about 2banks during the last 2 weeks of this thread:

-makes 20 bucks an hour at some .net consulting shop
-doesn't have a degree
-mom has cancer
-bootstrapped
-whining about jquery plugins smashed together and not working
-makes a lot of posts

please no more

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

2banks1swap.avi posted:

offer retracted because that's not job listings :smith:

here's the craigslist graph (same site)

non-craigslist job listings seem to be less common, like you were saying

but 'c won't get you a job' is a p silly thing to say

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
"need c programmer for special project. don't ask what the project is! Consulting gig $10/hr + stock!"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
c isn't worth learning until after you get a job doing c. Learn something that will teach you core concepts and be useful aka java or c#.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

PleasingFungus posted:

here's the craigslist graph (same site)

non-craigslist job listings seem to be less common, like you were saying

but 'c won't get you a job' is a p silly thing to say

less likely to != impossible

Of course if you really wanted to you could exclusively apply to C jobs and eventually get one. Or take a much easier route and do something else in the meantime.

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

rsjr posted:

-whining about jquery plugins smashed together and not working

-seems not to realize that "teach me xyz to get paid" leads to this exact poo poo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

2banks1swap.avi posted:

Right so if I look at the entire loving USA and count C++ to be generous there are 2x the Java jobs as C jobs on indeed.

If I count out c++ it's a little over 1:4 C:Java

Come on at least be genuine, seriously.

job postings are a garbage metric anyway, it will distort your stats because you are only seeing the jobs that are going unfilled and not the employed professionals.

If java devs are relatively fungible and easy to place, but C++ devs are impossible because everyone uses a different subset of the language, you could have a thousand times as many employed java workers even though the job posting ratio runs the other way

you don't want to be this guy:

if you look only at the easily observed data (working actors) it looks like looks vs smarts has a negative correlation. but since it's a random plot, we know about the un-observed, aspiring actors, and the correlation is horseshit

this is a fun article written for non-math types that i took the image/story from
http://euri.ca/2012/youre-probably-polluting-your-statistics-more-than-you-think/index.html

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

i dont hate programming languages because im not a baby

but i like python jobs because python is easy as gently caress

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

job postings are a garbage metric anyway, it will distort your stats because you are only seeing the jobs that are going unfilled and not the employed professionals.

If java devs are relatively fungible and easy to place, but C++ devs are impossible because everyone uses a different subset of the language, you could have a thousand times as many employed java workers even though the job posting ratio runs the other way

you don't want to be this guy:

if you look only at the easily observed data (working actors) it looks like looks vs smarts has a negative correlation. but since it's a random plot, we know about the un-observed, aspiring actors, and the correlation is horseshit

this is a fun article written for non-math types that i took the image/story from
http://euri.ca/2012/youre-probably-polluting-your-statistics-more-than-you-think/index.html

Okay are C jobs hard to find and more scarce in relative terms to Java, or not?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

2banks1swap.avi posted:

Okay are C jobs not hard to find and more scarce in relative terms to Java, or not?

the data is inconclusive

this is why people do bad statistics and hire "data scientists" and then get mad at them. sometimes your data isn't good and you shouldn't polish a turd just because it's what you happen to have

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
That's entirely reasonable. I can't PROVE it.

It's still not hard to intuit Java being a bit easier, is it not?

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

2banks1swap.avi posted:

in retrospect, why be so mean

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

2banks1swap.avi posted:

XVI. Whether java is easier to find a job than C?

Objection I: It would seem it is easier to find a job writing C than Java, since certain Graphs of Employment seem to indicate more C jobs than Java jobs.

Objection II: It would seem there should be greater demand for C programmers than Java programmers due to a reduced Number of Laborers with the Capability and a great Demand for firmware in Modern Electronic Devices at minimal Marginal Cost.

On the contrary, it has been written, "Shaggar has a job somehow."

I answer that Java employment should be easier to obtain than C employment, despite the greater labor pool, due to Incessant Demand for Bespoke Business Systems and Middle-Wares, whether they run on servers or Thicke Clients.

Reply to Objection I: the graphs are laughably flawed, exempli gratia 95 per cent of the "assembly" posting search results on CL are probably miscategorized requests for day laborers to help assemble furniture, most of the D search results and a fair chunk of the C search results are likely from bulleted lists of requirements denominated with letters, &c.

Reply to Objection II: There are enough EEs who can kinda-sorta code or who can kinda-sorta learn on the job that many jobs doing firmware will be filled by them internally (and to be fair a converted EE will probably write much less bad firmware than a converted scrubgrammer), making the otherwise skewed-in-your-favor ratio of qualified candidates to jobs more or less normal.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Otto Skorzeny posted:

XVI. Whether java is easier to find a job than C?

Objection I: It would seem it is easier to find a job writing C than Java, since certain Graphs of Employment seem to indicate more C jobs than Java jobs.

Objection II: It would seem there should be greater demand for C programmers than Java programmers due to a reduced Number of Laborers with the Capability and a great Demand for firmware in Modern Electronic Devices at minimal Marginal Cost.

On the contrary, it has been written, "Shaggar has a job somehow."

I answer that Java employment should be easier to obtain than C employment, despite the greater labor pool, due to Incessant Demand for Bespoke Business Systems and Middle-Wares, whether they run on servers or Thicke Clients.

Reply to Objection I: the graphs are laughably flawed, exempli gratia 95 per cent of the "assembly" posting search results on CL are probably miscategorized requests for day laborers to help assemble furniture, most of the D search results and a fair chunk of the C search results are likely from bulleted lists of requirements denominated with letters, &c.

Reply to Objection II: There are enough EEs who can kinda-sorta code or who can kinda-sorta learn on the job that many jobs doing firmware will be filled by them internally (and to be fair a converted EE will probably write much less bad firmware than a converted scrubgrammer), making the otherwise skewed-in-your-favor ratio of qualified candidates to jobs more or less normal.

this is a good post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

2banks1swap.avi posted:

you can "intuit" whatever you want, but i don't think the data can support the assertion because it's lovely fuckin data

i intuit that you have poor hygeine and your coworkers find the resulting odor disagreeable. i don't have any data to support this assertion that's just the vibe i get from your lovely posting