Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

looking at thunderbolt it causes a bsod 80% of the time

this isn't surprising, PCI Express tends to be coldplug or warmplug or whatever you call it when you inform the OS that you're going to unplug something, wait for the indicator light next to the PCI Express slot, swap the card, and then inform the OS to power on that slot again.

allowing users to just pull the cable probably tests all sorts of previously untested code paths

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

pseudorandom name posted:

this isn't surprising, PCI Express tends to be coldplug or warmplug or whatever you call it when you inform the OS that you're going to unplug something, wait for the indicator light next to the PCI Express slot, swap the card, and then inform the OS to power on that slot again.

allowing users to just pull the cable probably tests all sorts of previously untested code paths

and yet with the world's most advanced operating system OS X, It Just Works

I do it several times a work day, my MacBook Pro gets plugged into Thunderbolt Ethernet and FireWire at the office (and unplugged when I need to go to a meeting) and into an OWC Thunderbolt dock at home, and I've never had a problem with it

I've literally had more issues with USB devices

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

EL BROMANCE posted:

i feel bad for the fstoppers guy, because for some reason he's obviously been told to say nice things about the surface book, but the MBP floors it in terms of design and performance and he's absolutely struggling to find a reason to buy it.

"this is exciting tech and you can draw on the screen" isn't really cutting it when you didn't even cover the stylus part, but isn't that based on old lovely tech that the iPad Pro blows out the water at a fraction of the cost anyway?
the videos are amazing because you're watching a windows guy slowly turning into a mac guy. especially at moments when he says "i normally don't do this because it's too slow.. works.. perfect :stare:"

BobHoward posted:

lol my get-wandows10-cheap adventure continues. just finished running all the updates to w7sp1 in my vm and somehow the "please upgrade now oh god our adoption rate is abysmal" nagware isn't even working. the relevant kb#s are installed but i don't have poo poo in my systray pestering me to upgrade, v disappointed
just go to that get windows 10 website and download the updater. i literally just installed win 7 sp 1 > network drivers > chrome > win 10 when i built my pc

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
haven't there been laptops with integrated and discreet gpus forever now or is that just my rmbp that switches flawlessly between them

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
yeah but they usually don't have to account for the user ripping the card out of the laptop whenever they feel like it

also in my experience, some programs refuse to use the gpu when they absolutely need it (games made in unity & unreal engine especially), and i've had to force it onto them using the nvidia driver settings

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

ahmeni posted:

haven't there been laptops with integrated and discreet gpus forever now or is that just my rmbp that switches flawlessly between them

do MacBooks pretend that the nvidia GPU is just a faster version of the Intel GPU, or can apps somehow detect that one is more capable than the other?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Surface :3:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

was hoping someone would gif this

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/11/8/9693392/aaron-rodgers-packers-official-tablet-of-the-nfl-tm-buy-a-surface-from-nfl-shop-dot-com

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Should get an iPad with the savings from his discount double check.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

BobHoward posted:

lol my get-wandows10-cheap adventure continues. just finished running all the updates to w7sp1 in my vm and somehow the "please upgrade now oh god our adoption rate is abysmal" nagware isn't even working. the relevant kb#s are installed but i don't have poo poo in my systray pestering me to upgrade, v disappointed

yeah that might just be the the nagware determining that the hardware in your vm isn't worthy of the upgrade to win10

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
you're not worthy of using this garbage

tomatoes and shit
Sep 17, 2015

chestnut santabag posted:

yeah that might just be the the nagware determining that the hardware in your vm isn't worthy of the upgrade to win10

it may be downloading in the background. Something leads me to believe it doesn't pester you until it's nearly finished downloading

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

BobHoward posted:

This is like the computer janitor version of bug chasing

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i guess the higher-ups at work are getting surfaces with docks and whatnot and as bad as surfaces are, i'd still much rather have one of those than the godawful dell desktop they gave me now. (macs are sadly not an option afaik)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

do MacBooks pretend that the nvidia GPU is just a faster version of the Intel GPU, or can apps somehow detect that one is more capable than the other?

as i understand it:

apps can be aware of multi gpu, or not. if aware, they can query the system about all installed gpus, even ones which are presently inactive. they can even do things like open a context for a gpu which isn't driving a display and use it to render to offscreen buffers or do compute or whatever

if not self-marked as multi gpu aware, apps get told about the nvidia gpu's feature set, which i believe is a strict superset

if non aware apps proceed to create a gl context that needs nvidia only features, the system auto switches to the nvidia. since most apps that actually try to draw 3d will request a context with the full capabilities that they queried a moment ago, this translates to most apps that explicitly use a gpu (as opposed to implicitly through the window server) forcing the nvidia gpu on.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

chestnut santabag posted:

the weirdo windows experience thing thinks the vm scores 6.9 out of a possible 7.9, i'd have thought that was good enough

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pram posted:

this thing is a piece of poo poo

and yet, there is an apple engineer who has been given the task of creating a competing product that emulates it

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
a fine poop dust that covers the entire earth

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Stymie posted:

and yet, there is an apple engineer who has been given the task of creating a competing product that emulates it

wrong. perfects it.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
with a pencil that charges by sticking straight out the bottom

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

apps can detect it and choose which to use

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

i guess the higher-ups at work are getting surfaces with docks and whatnot and as bad as surfaces are, i'd still much rather have one of those than the godawful dell desktop they gave me now. (macs are sadly not an option afaik)

sure they are

if your company won't make macs an option, you should switch companies, since your company isn't really focused on the future anyway

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

now awkwardly pandering to Canadian nationalism

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Phoenixan posted:

the videos are amazing because you're watching a windows guy slowly turning into a mac guy. especially at moments when he says "i normally don't do this because it's too slow.. works.. perfect :stare:"

yeah, i really liked that (i also like how)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

THC posted:

now awkwardly pandering to Canadian nationalism

blackberry 10 and windows 10

canadians love bad technology with the number 10

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

microsoft's best game lineup ever! featuring rise of tomb raider

quote:

And the graphics are often incredible; while the aliasing is a little harsh and the framerate a little unstable, the overall visual presentation is the most arresting yet on the Xbox One

and fallout 4

quote:

Xbox One is unique in its suffering of a stuttering issue, halting the game experience for up to a second during play. It's a glaring hitch downward, and matching runs to the gates of Diamond City shows Xbox One dropping to a record 0fps (zero) while PS4 turns the same corner at 28fps

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

mishaq posted:

blackberry 10 and windows 10

canadians love bad technology with the number 10

its true osx

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

they also released the list of games that will be backwards compatible at launch. it's like 75% downloadable pre-360 games.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qirex posted:

microsoft's best game lineup ever! featuring rise of tomb raider

and fallout 4

look these things are expected when you try to run a game on a pc at or below the minimum specs

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
wonder how that surface book OOTB experience is

quote:

Off the top of my head, here is what I experienced or have seen others experience:

Delays in cursor or touch response while browsing, with only the browser open.
Screen discoloration while scrolling or just in general.
Screen flicker.
Screen detach mechanism not detaching.
Screen detach not being recognized at all when initiated.
Blue screens when detaching or reattaching the screen.
Blue screens while using Edge.
Blue screens for no reason.
Bricked units from faulty firmware updates (wow.)
Track pad having sluggish response (fixed via update for most)
Overheating or more than normal heat due to inoperable sleep function.
Battery drain due to inoperable sleep function.
Edge browser
- Randomly becomes unresponsive/slow.
- Causes issues with the display (the screen flicker problem)
- Eats a lot of memory for no real reason
Using Google Chrome provides a terrible scrolling experience, even with smooth scrolling enabled. (Why does the OSX version work without any issues?)
WiFi is randomly disconnected or unresponsive (this is incredibly annoying)
Loud popping noise from the speakers
Laggy/sluggish scrolling with non-native applications; Slack, Chrome, pretty much anything that isn't a Microsoft product.
The new dock is causing issues as well

hey man whaddya expect for $2600

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 9, 2015

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

quote:

Screen detach mechanism not detaching.

this would be photoshop, steam, or a video/screen recorder running in the background, as i said before

yes, steam itself uses your video card just because

Ice_2_c_u
Sep 13, 2002

quote:

(Why does the OSX version work without any issues?)

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Phoenixan posted:

this would be photoshop, steam, or a video/screen recorder running in the background, as i said before

yes, steam itself uses your video card just because

It's got an embedded browser which they probably want gpu accelerated

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

A Yolo Wizard posted:

It's got an embedded browser which they probably want gpu accelerated

i had really expected intel chips to be good at rendering rectangles by now

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ludwig van Halen posted:

i had really expected intel chips to be good at rendering rectangles by now

as stated above, if the browser requests a context with features only supported by the discrete card it can't switch to the intel one without relaunching the process

pram
Jun 10, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

as stated above, if the browser requests a context with features only supported by the discrete card it can't switch to the intel one without relaunching the process

lol

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
We are slaves to the dgpu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
oh hey it's like those android that you can dock into a tablet

iirc the Motorola atrix or something with similar problems when switching between tablet docked mode and phone only mode

• Locked thread