Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

stillvisions posted:

1) Taunt special prosecutor
2) Demand special prosecutor recuse himself because he doesn't like you after all the nasty things you've said

Believe it or not, this was attempted back in the day by Rob Ford (Toronto's crack smoking mayor) versus Bill Blair (Toronto's police chief) investigating said crack smoking and organized crime connections. I don't think it worked, but it was tried by another unhinged guy not qualified for his elected post against corruption charges, so it'd fit.

Trump himself already tried this, remember when he said the Mexican judge was biased against him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Calaveron posted:

I'm still trying to understand why a man who admitted himself has terrible health habits and family history of many diseases would, at an age many wealthy people would choose to retire and enjoy their sunset years, willingly take the literal most stressful and aging job in the world

How hard can it be? Or clown music. That's the only thing going through his head.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Sasse also said he started charging his kids for rent and dinner when they were 8 and paid them the exact amount he charged them in allowance for doing their chores and washing his car.

This prepared them to be men and not adult children.

His kids are going to grow up to be Mormon Patrick Batemen.

FYI he's some weird kind of modern Calvinist.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

stillvisions posted:

Basically this. The USA can't rely on norms, decorum and "well, nobody would *actually* do that" anymore. If your rules require congress to agree the rules apply to you, then they're not rules.

Trump is a guy playing Monopoly arguing that the rules don't explicitly say cheating isn't allowed, so he can just take money from the bank. And when he's caught, he can point out there's nothing in the rules about punishing people who get caught cheating, so what are they gonna do? Congress is the rest of the players realizing they need this guy for the ride home, so they can't just ban him.

Republicans will 100% fight against these rules without them, or the electorate, batting an eye. They'll even trot out the "Why would we ever need these rules codified: the honor system has worked so far.". Unless a Democrat tries to get around the rules the same way. Then they'll scream and cry without a nanosecond of thought to hypocrisy.

And, in the future we're all going to open our brain ports to download the latest newsfig: "Trump administration riddled with corruption and collusion;Trump pardons the people who then refuse to charge him with anything"

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

So uhhhh, this seems kinda perjury-tastic right?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/15/lobbyist-russian-interests-jeff-sessions-testimony

quote:

Lobbyist for Russian interests says he attended dinners hosted by Sessions
An American lobbyist for Russian interests who helped craft an important foreign policy speech for Donald Trump has confirmed that he attended two dinners hosted by Jeff Sessions during the 2016 campaign, apparently contradicting the attorney general’s sworn testimony given this week.

“I did attend two dinners with groups of former Republican foreign policy officials and Senator Sessions,” Burt said.

Asked whether Sessions was unfamiliar with Burt’s role as a lobbyist for Russian interests – a fact that is disclosed in public records – or had any reason to be confused about the issue, Burt told the Guardian that he did not know.

Several media reports published before Trump’s election in November noted that Burt advised then candidate Trump on his first major foreign policy speech, a role that brought him into contact with Sessions personally.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Ben Sasse also complains about rap music ruining society, but not in the way you would think!

Apparently, Rap in the 80's emphasized entrepreneurship, "the hustle," and respect.

Rap today glamorizes sex and drugs. It also teaches kids that there is no way out of their situation, so don't bother with entrepreneurship.

He says that Tupac had songs about his love and respect for his mom, but rappers today just talk about weed and don't respect women.

birds
Jun 28, 2008

Blitz7x posted:

That's what the electorate wanted, he's running the country like a business. If it's not against the law, it's fair game

And if it is against the law it's still cool and good

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Depends on what Sessions knew. I wouldn't assume that Sessions knows who employs every lobbyist who he meets with.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

No see, he didn't lie, he just didn't remember!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Kids with deer blood on their faces is a regular thing on my Facebook feed. It is very common.

Everytime I see one of those "kids posing with dead deer" pictures, I reply "Oh that's adorable! How did you get the deer to let your kid so close?"

I'm a dick.
(PS I'm all for killing deer I loving hate deer they are a blight. They are just giant rats.)

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 15, 2017

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Calaveron posted:

I'm still trying to understand why a man who admitted himself has terrible health habits and family history of many diseases would, at an age many wealthy people would choose to retire and enjoy their sunset years, willingly take the literal most stressful and aging job in the world

Have you considered, possibly, that Donald Trump is really, really dumb.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

New poll shows Ga-06 tied. :ohdear:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Calaveron posted:

Because he literally thought 'how hard can it be if some black guy can do it for 8 years'

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Everytime I see one of those "kids posing with dead deer" pictures, I reply "Oh that's adorable! How did you get the deer to let your kid so close?"

I'm a dick.
(PS I'm all for killing deer I loving hate deer they are a blight. They are just giant rats.)

No, rats are much better because they don't jump out in front of cars and wreck them. Do not besmirch the good name of a rat by comparing it to a deer.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

He says that Tupac had songs about his love and respect for his mom, but rappers today just talk about weed and don't respect women.

Hip Hop G.o.A.T is between him and Biggie for sure. Lotta commercialized clowns these days, who do just rap about drugs thanks to....alotta guys like Ben Sasse behind the scenes or in management at the big record companies!

Also I love Lil Wayne but he is really lucky that "nigga" rhymes with "nigga"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Calaveron posted:

he has a crippling personality disorder which inhibits his ability to think rationally, and he desperately wanted to prove himself big chief of poo poo mountain to validate him bestestness to the world without thinking for a second about what would happen if he won the presidency

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

No because he was asked if he had any meeting with any Russian nationals or Russian government representatives. An American lobbyist for Russian interests is not a Russian national nor a Russian government representative. Lawyers!

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Ben Sasse also says in his book that when he was a kid, it was common for strangers to spank other people's children in public.

That this no longer happens is the reason why we have "children in their 30's."

I was a public school teacher for a bit in Louisiana. Hitting kids was still encouraged by certain administrators at my school. That I was a white teacher in an all-black school is one of the (many) reasons I refused to do it.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

B B posted:

I was a public school teacher for a bit in Louisiana. Hitting kids was still encouraged by certain administrators at my school. That I was a white teacher in an all-black school is one of the (many) reasons I refused to do it.

White teacher hit curtis: A 30 page screed.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Calaveron posted:

I wonder this about every old Republican politician and pundit. They're already rich and a good number of them certainly aren't doing it for the good of the country.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

business hammocks posted:

FYI he's some weird kind of modern Calvinist.

An interview: https://world.wng.org/2016/09/ben_sasse_a_reformed_reformer
He claims to be a 'reformed lutero-calvinist' and I don't even know where to start with that... whatever. e: faith salad?

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 15, 2017

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

VanSandman posted:

White teacher hit curtis: A 30 page screed.

I believe Curtis was slapped.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

eyebeem posted:

I've been saying this since November.

I simply can't see him admitting he was beaten in an election and doing the right thing.

I honestly believe that nothing matters on the government side of things, the GOP is interested in having one of their guys in the WH to sign their hosed up bills. Trump, Pence, Ryan, does not matter.

Trump will not be impeached, he will not be arrested, nothing will happen to impede the freedoms of a politically connected rich old white dude. The only thing that can put pressure on trump is civil litigation. There has to be some bright eyed lawyer out there that smells blood and hopefully find a way to profit from attacking trumps business empire for failure to abide by contracts, ripping off contractors, screwing local governments, etc. If there's no money to be made from that avenue of attack, then nothing will happen to trump.

He won't even be voted out of office in 2020, republicans are more interested in their side winning and the average conservative voter would rather hold their nose and vote Trump than ever allow a liberal to win, and the GOP will ensure their voters come out keep their team in the majority.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

B B posted:

Went to a private Catholic high school in Louisiana where it was 98% rich white kids. Paddling was an acceptable punishment by the dean or the principal if you were a real rear end in a top hat. All of the people that I knew that were paddled probably deserved it because they were all little shitheads. The administration had to get written parental consent beforehand though. My parents, my dad specifically, told them to gently caress off and if they touched my brother and I that "he would deal with them." It was a touchy subject where a lot of parents were ok while a vast majority of parents threatened lawsuits so they went with the written consent.

The best part was if you got paddled you got to sign the paddle used. Some kids took it as a point of pride.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

:smuggo: "Sessions testified under oath on Tuesday that he did not believe he had any contacts with lobbyists working for Russian interests over the course of Trump’s campaign. " :smuggo:
So you want to prosecute someone for their beliefs?:smuggo: So much for the Tolerant Left :smuggo:

"in a hearing this week before the Senate intelligence committee about whether the attorney general had ever had “any contacts with any representative, including any American lobbyist or agent of any Russian company” during the 2016 campaign, Sessions said he did not.

:smuggo:“I :smuggo:don’t:smuggo: believe:smuggo: so,”:smuggo: Sessions :smuggo:said." :smuggo:

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Oracle posted:

No because he was asked if he had any meeting with any Russian nationals or Russian government representatives. An American lobbyist for Russian interests is not a Russian national nor a Russian government representative. Lawyers!

Someone, maybe Kamala Harris, got him to say he had no meetings with Russians or persons affiliated with Russia in his capacity as a campaign surrogate, so this argument shouldn't work.

Not that they won't try anyway.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

HappyHippo posted:

Did anyone actually think that Eripsa was smart?

I think he's brilliant. Truly.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Dr Christmas posted:

I wonder this about every old Republican politician and pundit. They're already rich and a good number of them certainly aren't doing it for the good of the country.

Man, I think some people just don't know how to get out of the mindset. They've spent their whole life raging against perceived evils, building power and connections, accumulating wealth, etc. What are they gonna do now--relax, enjoy the simple things, and appreciate life?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah I'll take the FBI in a fight over some cowardly old hicks any day of the week

Since the FBI has warm cars, and cookies

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Ogmius815 posted:

Link? Or who the pollster is?

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Calaveron posted:

I'm still half-convinced he never actually wanted to win and was just doing it as a publicity stunt/to get a sweet ego boost for two years once people started following him. The plan was to make it to the election, lose to Hillary like everyone predicted, and take advantage of his new "fake-news" following to launch Trump TV and cash in on a bunch of dumb idiots for a while. (And also probably divorce Melania, at some point.)

But turns out America's even dumber than he thought we were!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Man, I think some people just don't know how to get out of the mindset. They've spent their whole life raging against perceived evils, building power and connections, accumulating wealth, etc. What are they gonna do now--relax, enjoy the simple things, and appreciate life?

If they stop pushing forward, they might have too much spare time to consider the possibility that they've been complete shitheads their entire lives.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Ben Sasse also complains about rap music ruining society, but not in the way you would think!

Apparently, Rap in the 80's emphasized entrepreneurship, "the hustle," and respect.

Rap today glamorizes sex and drugs. It also teaches kids that there is no way out of their situation, so don't bother with entrepreneurship.

Sounds like he googled "old black people's criticisms of rap" so he could complain about it while being able to claim he's not racist.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Calaveron posted:

Ego

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

twice burned ice posted:

Someone, maybe Kamala Harris, got him to say he had no meetings with Russians or persons affiliated with Russia in his capacity as a campaign surrogate, so this argument shouldn't work.

Not that they won't try anyway.

I thought he managed to run the clock out on answering that one while Harris was slapped down by the chair/talked over for being an uppity black woman being 'rude.'

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Parasol Prophet posted:

I'm still half-convinced he never actually wanted to win and was just doing it as a publicity stunt/to get a sweet ego boost for two years once people started following him. The plan was to make it to the election, lose to Hillary like everyone predicted, and take advantage of his new "fake-news" following to launch Trump TV and cash in on a bunch of dumb idiots for a while. (And also probably divorce Melania, at some point.)

But turns out America's even dumber than he thought we were!

It was a book tour that got out of hand

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/lachlan/status/875419109529354241

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

aware of dog posted:

He didn't actually want to be president, he just wanted to win

He wanted a participation trophy.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Trump wanted to lose and then launch Trump TV and feed off the outrage machine. Simple as that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Ogmius815 posted:

Which poll

• Locked thread