Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

B B posted:

So, uh, Ben Sasse is a pretty loving weird dude, turns out:

Carlyle has mostly fallen out of modern recognition because he was one of Hitler and Goebbels' favorite philosophers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

AnoHito posted:

So, what, he's just going to lock himself in the Oval Office? Who do you really think is going to support him doing this? I have a hard time believing the police/secret service wouldn't just throw him out, let alone, say, the military turning on its own country.

There was a serious concern Nixon would cite protesters as a justification to militarize the area around the White House and then refuse to give it up.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Ben's Assy is a loving goober weirdo and the credit the media has given him for being "moderate" is absolutely unearned.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

B B posted:

Man, I thought it was just going to be a boring, "Kids these days; GET OFF MY LAWN!" but this sounds weird to the point where I want to read it.

Nebraska, you never cease to impress me.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016
The authority of the presidency does not come from living in the Whitehouse. It comes, at least in principle, from the will of American citizens. If Trump loses in 2020, that next January he loses all of his authority. And although in those months after the election he may cry and scream and throw his toys out of his crib, nothing short of a constitutional amendment or coup de'tat backed by the military can change that.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

Ben's Assy is a loving goober weirdo and the credit the media has given him for being "moderate" is absolutely unearned.

This is every Republican "moderate" because the media is desperate for someone not loving evil, stupid, or both to be a member of that party since it's one of only two that govern this country so they have to make fantasy versions of these guys to prop up, see Kasich, McCain, Ryan, etc.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Ben Sasse also recommends randomly jumping around corners or faking emergencies to scare your kids when they are as young as possible to help them grow thick skin and become men.

Lotta weird unsolicited parenting tips in his book.

(Also says that the most recent generation is self-centered, but Boomers and "the Greatest Generation" aren't because Boomers had to live through the Cold War and "The Greatest Generation" didn't pick that name for themselves. That's it.)

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

BlueberryCanary posted:

The authority of the presidency does not come from living in the Whitehouse. It comes, at least in principle, from the will of American citizens. If Trump loses in 2020, that next January he loses all of his authority. And although in those months after the election he may cry and scream and throw his toys out of his crib, nothing short of a constitutional amendment or coup de'tat backed by the military can change that.

Also the institutions most like the Gestapo in the US all super hate Trump lol.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Kekekela posted:

Trump picked up 4 net points in the Gallup today. (59/36 to 57/38) That's a three-day average so he probably got a fair bump from this. Anecdotal evidence based on the number of assholes I've had to block on fb for "radical leftwing" bullshit posts supports the theory. God how are otherwise normal people so loving dumb.

it's one poll, dude

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Ben Sasse also recommends randomly jumping around corners or faking emergencies with your kids when they are as young as possible to help them grow thick skin and become men.

And that's why you always leave a note!

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

The slow drip of information to ensure that all the juices get absorbed is :discourse:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Still can't believe our President is such a gently caress-up that a Congressman is shot by a political opponent and the news is back on him in 13hrs.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
In his book, Sasse also recommends pulling your kid out of public school and giving them a "hybrid education" where you home-school them two days a week and bring them to work with you three days a week.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Rotacixe posted:

The slow drip of information to ensure that all the juices get absorbed is :discourse:

Love this analogy.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

sean10mm posted:

Also the institutions most like the Gestapo in the US all super hate Trump lol.

Any and all militaristic/violent support for Trump will come from right-wing extremist citizens ala Alex Jones and Bundy.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Does anyone like me?

Everybody likes you.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Sasse also said he started charging his kids for rent and dinner when they were 8 and paid them the exact amount he charged them in allowance for doing their chores and washing his car.

This prepared them to be men and not adult children.

His kids are going to grow up to be Mormon Patrick Batemen.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Pollyanna posted:

Any and all militaristic/violent support for Trump will come from right-wing extremist citizens ala Alex Jones and Bundy.

Yeah I'll take the FBI in a fight over some cowardly old hicks any day of the week

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
100% none of these things were done to Sasse when he was young

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah I'll take the FBI in a fight over some cowardly old hicks any day of the week

The diabetus staffel?

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Alter Ego posted:

Yes, Donald. Taunt the special prosecutor, by all means.

1) Taunt special prosecutor
2) Demand special prosecutor recuse himself because he doesn't like you after all the nasty things you've said

Believe it or not, this was attempted back in the day by Rob Ford (Toronto's crack smoking mayor) versus Bill Blair (Toronto's police chief) investigating said crack smoking and organized crime connections. I don't think it worked, but it was tried by another unhinged guy not qualified for his elected post against corruption charges, so it'd fit.

Javes posted:

Whenever the democrats retake the Congress it would be nice to have some of these governmental norms that we've apparently taken for granted codified into law. Trump has shown us that any norm or formality not explicitly law will be abused.

Basically this. The USA can't rely on norms, decorum and "well, nobody would *actually* do that" anymore. If your rules require congress to agree the rules apply to you, then they're not rules.

Trump is a guy playing Monopoly arguing that the rules don't explicitly say cheating isn't allowed, so he can just take money from the bank. And when he's caught, he can point out there's nothing in the rules about punishing people who get caught cheating, so what are they gonna do? Congress is the rest of the players realizing they need this guy for the ride home, so they can't just ban him.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Prester Jane posted:

I wanted to reply at length to Skex but the only practical way to do so was to break hist post up and respond to each section. I hope Skex and the thread won't mind.

I agree with this completely true in the abstract, and I have been stating for some time now that the total number of Narrativists is decreasing. However the concern here is that there are more Narrativists now than at any previous time in American history where there was a flare up of Narrativism (these events were actually a regular part of American politics until relatively modern history. E.g. the Know-Nothing Party, the Ant-Masonic Panic, McCarthyism, etc.) as well as said Narrativists having taken control of three branches of the Federal Government and one of our two major political parties. Every past instance of Narrativism dying out involved the people with their hands on the levers of power being rational actors who were genuinely making decisions in the best interest of the country. At present that is not true and that is one of the major reasons to be concerned at present.
There are also more people now than at any other previous time in American history. I suspect that as a percentage of the population that it's really changed much. Approximately 30% of any human population are authoritarian thinkers and suspect that is going to be a pretty consistent thing through history and place.

Also I think that you are making a mistake to think of the current crop of natavists as being a functioning power block while they are in fact a large number of different factions that have found common cause on some issues where they have formed an alliance, which btw is a huge part of why even though they have managed to get their hands on the levers of power, they are having difficulties pushing their agenda through.

The only thing that these different nativist groups have in common is this abstract idea of disliking liburels and a FYGM attitude. They were able to form a coalition to get power but now that they have it they can't reach a common cause on what to do with it.

Prester Jane posted:

They found themselves under immense scrutiny from a Federal Government that was both willing and fully capable of making them experience dire consequences for criminal activity. At present this situation will not repeat itself because the Federal government is not interested and completely unwilling to punish the militia movement. In point of fact the Trump government is starting to work hand in hand with militias by coordinating with them on patrols of the border with Mexico to publicly stating (in the wake of the Portland attack) that GOP officials needed to start hiring right wing militias for protection from Antif/leftists.

Newsweek: Portland Republican Supports Hiring Right-Wing Militias for GOP Security.

See current special counsel investigating Russian meddling. Just because it's not obvious and public doesn't mean that it's not happening. It's just that these sorts of things tend to take time to get going. The FBI has been turned against them at this point thanks to Trump's incompetence and the majority of the intelligence community is also against him and his nativist cohorts.

Prester Jane posted:

The right have been prevented from implementing large portions of their agenda primarily by their own incompetence and less so the system itself. True the travel ban got shot down in the courts, the the damage that is being done every single day to our government represents the true bulk of their intended agenda. Eventually there won't be enough of a Federal government left to oppose them and that is their full intention. Until Trump and his enablers are removed from power anything else is just buying time until they can be removed from power.

[url=https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2017/06/05/trump-is-courting-disaster-by-not-fully-staffing-the-government/?utm_term=.774148c029c0]Washington Post: Trump is courting disaster by not fully staffing the government.
[/quote]

What you call their incompetence isn't something they can get past. They are by their very nature going to be incompetent precisely because of their belief system. And don't believe for a second that their so called leaders believe the bullshit they spout. The nativists are just useful idiots to them, rubes who are easily deceived and if they really act up expect those who are the real power behind the GOP (the mega rich) to stomp them down quickly.

Prester Jane posted:

Nativist movements have never had a person with a Cluster B personality disorder in the highest form of social authority in our culture telling them ti ignore everything else except for their rage towards the Enemy. The present situation is very, very different from what has occurred in the past because of this.

They are still cowards at heart, for them to take actual action beyond whining on internet forums would require them to either grow a spine or think that they have enough popular support to act with impunity. While I agree that having Chump actively encouraging them is likely to stir up a few of the more loony of them. The vast majority are just as much armchair warriors as they are armchair quarterbacks witnessed by the fact that despite all their bloviating most of them could never be arsed to serve in the military.

As far as compared to what has come in the past. We had a literal loving civil war in our history so it's not like it's unprecedented for the natavists to have power. Frankly we're no where near that level because while they may be numerous in some terms they also tend to be rural which means that they lack the infrastructure for a protracted campaign. Much like the south was at a logistical disadvantage to north.

The things that make natavists natavists in the first place put them at a structural disadvantage.

Prester Jane posted:

While it is technically true that in a long enough time line all nativist/Narrativist movements ultimately fail, the question is whether or not the United States will survive the process in any recognizable form. It isn't like Germany or China got out of their brushes with Narrativism without severe consequences. While both countries still exist, they lost a tremendous deal as a result of Narrativism seizing control of their state apparatus.

Oh no doubt this current bit of crazy has and will continue to cost the United States a great deal and cause damage will take decades to recover from. It's not like I'm arguing that these people are not a threat to the nation.

My point is the idea that they are going to get ratcheted up to the point of armed insurrection because one liberal showed the courage to do what they talk about doing all the time is far from a foregone conclusion. If anything it will act as a reminder that they aren't the only ones with guns and that liberals will fight back which will give them pause.

This is why I'm perfectly down with punching a Nazi in the face. These people are all cowards at heart. While it can be dangerous to push cowards into a corner they don't tend to take action against an organized opposition unless they sense that they are in an overwhelmingly superior position. AKA they are risk averse. They talk poo poo but for the most part that's all they are talk.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

stillvisions posted:

Trump is a guy playing Monopoly arguing that the rules don't explicitly say cheating isn't allowed, so he can just take money from the bank. And when he's caught, he can point out there's nothing in the rules about punishing people who get caught cheating, so what are they gonna do? Congress is the rest of the players realizing they need this guy for the ride home, so they can't just ban him.

That's what the electorate wanted, he's running the country like a business. If it's not against the law, it's fair game

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

B B posted:

Conservatism and new-ageism a.k.a. The Third Reich

Sasse also said he started charging his kids for rent and dinner when they were 8 and paid them the exact amount he charged them in allowance for doing their chores and washing his car.

This prepared them to be men and not adult children.

His kids are going to grow up to be Mormon Patrick Batemen.

Treating kids like adults is demonstrably worse than adults in a delayed adolescence.

Dmitri-9 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 15, 2017

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

In his book, Sasse also recommends pulling your kid out of public school and giving them a "hybrid education" where you home-school them two days a week and bring them to work with you three days a week.

The only thing worse than his ideas and policies is his haircut.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh yeah, my auto manufacturing plant is totally cool with me bringing a five year old into General Assembly.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Isn't Ben Sasse also a diminionist?

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 15, 2017

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
"Were you seriously not listening when I told you to 'never put your hands where you wouldn't put your you-know-what'? For a 7 year old, you're pretty dense. And fingers don't grow back btw"

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Oh yeah, my auto manufacturing plant is totally cool with me bringing a five year old into General Assembly.

If you aren't self-employed what are you even doing with your life? :smuggo:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Get a real job peasant.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

BootStrap posted:

I, no-poo poo, had the blood of the first deer I killed when I was a teenager, rubbed all over my face by a couple of older cousins.

It's why that was the last time I ever went hunting.

Blooding after you first kill is normal in some places. It's gross and weird though. If I could go back I'd pass on doing it when I was 12. I'd rather stick to field dressing and cooking than all the other weird poo poo people sometimes do. I loved preparing the meat and eating more than anything else as a kid. Cooking is fun and now I'm hungry :colbert:

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

B B posted:

For with much wisdom comes great sorrow, indeed.

As for Ben Sasse romanticizing polio...All I can say is Republicans are uninterested in political injustices and yearn for metaphysical ones.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

mcmagic posted:

He doesn't like short people?

E: keep editing you'll get there eventually.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Ben Sasse also says in his book that when he was a kid, it was common for strangers to spank other people's children in public.

That this no longer happens is the reason why we have "children in their 30's."

EndTimesProfit
Jul 1, 2004

Don't worry son, it's just the Smilin' Mighty Jesus!

cochise posted:

Blooding after you first kill is normal in some places. It's gross and weird though. If I could go back I'd pass on doing it when I was 12. I'd rather stick to field dressing and cooking than all the other weird poo poo people sometimes do. I loved preparing the meat and eating more than anything else as a kid. Cooking is fun and now I'm hungry :colbert:

Yeah, I remember reading a lot of ethnographic studies in college about manhood rituals that are similar. I'm not sure why it affected me so vividly, but I never had any interest in hunting after that.

If it had been a solemn ceremony, honoring the animal's sacrifice, instead of a couple of hillbillies drunk on Busch beer it might have been different.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Is this like Dominionism except tinier?

e: lol

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

wait what

vvv I read over it like five times because I couldn't process the fact that the president signed a law that would promote ethical behavior

Dude, its one tweet

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm still trying to understand why a man who admitted himself has terrible health habits and family history of many diseases would, at an age many wealthy people would choose to retire and enjoy their sunset years, willingly take the literal most stressful and aging job in the world

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

BootStrap posted:

Yeah, I remember reading a lot of ethnographic studies in college about manhood rituals that are similar. I'm not sure why it affected me so vividly, but I never had any interest in hunting after that.

If it had been a solemn ceremony, honoring the animal's sacrifice, instead of a couple of hillbillies drunk on Busch beer it might have been different.

Kids with deer blood on their faces is a regular thing on my Facebook feed. It is very common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Calaveron posted:

I'm still trying to understand why a man who admitted himself has terrible health habits and family history of many diseases would, at an age many wealthy people would choose to retire and enjoy their sunset years, willingly take the literal most stressful and aging job in the world

He didn't actually want to be president, he just wanted to win

• Locked thread