Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
"Eat this entire zombie dragon. Now."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

HenryEx posted:

I think you mean "they know how to pad"

Judging by my post times, the credits are 25 minutes long, christ. It's finally over.

You should play Mighty Number 9!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Leal posted:

You should play Mighty Number 9!

rude

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

MarquiseMindfang posted:

"Eat this entire zombie dragon. Now."

Bone Zone getting awkward in 5.0.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

You're right, no one should have to play through Mighty No 9

So have a youtube video of the end credits instead!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I just defeated Nidhogg and talked to Hraesvelgr.

I knew I felt like the latter's high and mighty attitude was sketchy.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

HenryEx posted:

I think you mean "they know how to pad"

Judging by my post times, the credits are 25 minutes long, christ. It's finally over.

A separate but equally true statement.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Also, Estinien must smell AWFUL now.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mr. Nice! posted:

They'd have to reskin all lancer forks, as they right now are the fork people.

I don't think they go lancer/blue like Kimari. Either they do something like a scimitar, kris, or rod. They could get a shield as well, but maybe not. I do like the idea of a blue mage as a tank, but make it so their skills are all strength based (once again not weird canonically either) and they still wear tank gear. Blue mages have historically been tankier than any other type of mage, anyways, and have almost always wielded fighting weapons as well.

See you're thinking a fork as in pitchfork which is wrong.

We want a Quina style Giant one handed fork.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

Also, Estinien must smell AWFUL now.

Well yeah, he's Elezen.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I still have no idea how they'd implement blue mage in an MMO like this. The classic style of fighting random monsters until they cast their special move on you / you steal their move with Lancet / you eat them is untenable since it's impossible to balance the same FFXIV content for "blue mage with everything learned" and also for "blue mage with nothing learned". And just learning a pre-defined list of abilities as you level up would be boring and un-blue magey. Sure there was a lot of pre-3.0 uncertainty about how red mage would work, but at least that class has always been "fancy hat guy who casts spells slightly differently from white and black mages".

I still want to see dancer but who the heck knows what it'd look like in FFXIV. Chemist would be great if only because I want to bean people with thrown elixirs and their limit breaks would be hilarious.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Is the SB Miner questline an episode of "Pimp My Ride"? 'Cause it sure sounds like it.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Thundarr posted:

I still have no idea how they'd implement blue mage in an MMO like this. The classic style of fighting random monsters until they cast their special move on you / you steal their move with Lancet / you eat them is untenable since it's impossible to balance the same FFXIV content for "blue mage with everything learned" and also for "blue mage with nothing learned". And just learning a pre-defined list of abilities as you level up would be boring and un-blue magey. Sure there was a lot of pre-3.0 uncertainty about how red mage would work, but at least that class has always been "fancy hat guy who casts spells slightly differently from white and black mages".

I still want to see dancer but who the heck knows what it'd look like in FFXIV. Chemist would be great if only because I want to bean people with thrown elixirs and their limit breaks would be hilarious.

It's easier to design in 14 specifically because of 14's reliance on individual quest series for job specific content. You take a quest every 5/2/whatevs to fight a monster and learn its thing.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I still have no idea how they'd implement dragoon in an MMO like this. The classic style of jumping and being gone for half the fight is untenable.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Thundarr posted:

I still have no idea how they'd implement blue mage in an MMO like this. The classic style of fighting random monsters until they cast their special move on you / you steal their move with Lancet / you eat them is untenable since it's impossible to balance the same FFXIV content for "blue mage with everything learned" and also for "blue mage with nothing learned".

Every class quest is seeking out and devouring a different monster. The whole job questline is a giant combination of Jackass and Man Vs Food.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Every class quest is seeking out and devouring a different monster. The whole job questline is a giant combination of Jackass and Man Vs Food.

Imagine the Toriko references :allears:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I assume Blue Mage would just have skills you see monsters using and maybe buffs/debuffs which involve being hit by an enemy attack or something like Third Eye.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Mymla posted:

I still have no idea how they'd implement dragoon in an MMO like this. The classic style of jumping and being gone for half the fight is untenable.

This. They would just filter it through FFXIV like they've done for everything else and it would be fine. The only job that's suffered in any way is Summoner and even that's recovered with Stormblood.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Things that have been weapon types in Final Fantasy but aren't player weapons yet in FFXIV: whips, maces, flails, hammers, 1-handed axes, boomerangs, harps, bells, dice, darts, cards, megaphones, gunblades, nunchucks, rackets, flutes, blitzballs, dolls, alchemist guns, gun mage guns, measures, crossbows, and hand-bombs.

Of these, I think whips, maces, boomerangs, bells, the FF X-2 guns that made up Gun Mage and Alchemist, and gunblades are our most likely options for new weapon types to build classes around. Some of the others are very character-specific to their particular Final Fantasies, like Cait Sith's megaphones or Blitzballs and dolls from FFX.

Another point is what iconic Final Fantasy jobs to add. Dancer, Blue Mage, Geomancer, Beast Master, Time Mage, Mystic Knight, Ranger and Chemist from FF5 spring to mind.

Dancer typically focused on either debuffs, drains or maybe healing (XI) and the occasional damage spike. For FFXIV, DPS with ribbons as weapons, Sword Dance as a main skill. Maybe give it some additional support healing like RDM has?

Blue Mages are kind of different every time they appear, so there are lots of different ways to incorporate it into XIV. They could use heavier equipment in V. Strago in VI functioned more like a "typical" mage with rods and light armor. VII gave blue magic from Materia. Quistis learned it from cards. Quina ate things. Kimarhi poked dudes and in X-2 they had the Gun Mage. I could see BLU using maces, whips, or mage guns if they went with that aspect of it.

Geomancer is mentioned in the AST storyline, as I understand, but CNJ/WHM covers a lot of their flavour. I haven't played the part where they're mentioned in XIV, so I don't know how they might be incorporated.

Beast Master would be a pet class. I wonder if they could make it work similar to Hunter in WoW, where you can have different pets from the wild. The pets would have to be normalized so that your animal type is cosmetic rather than a core element of what the class does. Whips would be the clear weapon here, if they don't give it to Blue Mage.

Time Mage seems a bit too niche, to me, to be an FFXIV job in and of itself. Some of their core abilities are already represented in AST and in caster LBs and such. Similarly, Ranger's iconic weapon is already in use. Unless they gave them crossbows, I don't see this becoming a job.

I have to wonder if the theme of Mystic Knight might not find some way to be combined with the Garlean gunblade tech. You have a hi-tech sword that can be modified in battle with cartridges or something (akin a bit to Imperials from Etrian Odyssey IV, if you've ever played that). Elemental damage isn't really a "thing" in FFXIV, so it'd be mainly cosmetic. This could work as a tank or as a DPS class.

Chemist would be a healer. I think they'd give them the X-2 guns. Shoot potions to heal people.

They could also just add new jobs that are original to XIV. MCH and AST, while existing in a way in other FFs like VI or Tactics, are a bit more original in their style and theme to this game.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

They'd have to reskin all lancer forks, as they right now are the fork people.

One-handed fork. Paired with a knife.

:getin:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

One-handed fork. Paired with a knife.

:getin:
They could just use existing CUL tools in the off hand.

I love that the SB leatherer lv60 quest is titled, essentially, "A Heart For Dead Animals". It's so fitting and kinda mean. I love the localization in this game sometimes most of the time.

ninjaedit: she even asks you whether you have a heart for animals in the quest dialogue, geez, way to twist the knife

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Well yeah, he's Elezen.

Rude.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Leofish posted:

Things that have been weapon types in Final Fantasy but aren't player weapons yet in FFXIV: whips, maces, flails, hammers, 1-handed axes, boomerangs, harps, bells, dice, darts, cards, megaphones, gunblades, nunchucks, rackets, flutes, blitzballs, dolls, alchemist guns, gun mage guns, measures, crossbows, and hand-bombs.

Of these, I think whips, maces, boomerangs, bells, the FF X-2 guns that made up Gun Mage and Alchemist, and gunblades are our most likely options for new weapon types to build classes around. Some of the others are very character-specific to their particular Final Fantasies, like Cait Sith's megaphones or Blitzballs and dolls from FFX.

Another point is what iconic Final Fantasy jobs to add. Dancer, Blue Mage, Geomancer, Beast Master, Time Mage, Mystic Knight, Ranger and Chemist from FF5 spring to mind.

Dancer typically focused on either debuffs, drains or maybe healing (XI) and the occasional damage spike. For FFXIV, DPS with ribbons as weapons, Sword Dance as a main skill. Maybe give it some additional support healing like RDM has?

Blue Mages are kind of different every time they appear, so there are lots of different ways to incorporate it into XIV. They could use heavier equipment in V. Strago in VI functioned more like a "typical" mage with rods and light armor. VII gave blue magic from Materia. Quistis learned it from cards. Quina ate things. Kimarhi poked dudes and in X-2 they had the Gun Mage. I could see BLU using maces, whips, or mage guns if they went with that aspect of it.

Geomancer is mentioned in the AST storyline, as I understand, but CNJ/WHM covers a lot of their flavour. I haven't played the part where they're mentioned in XIV, so I don't know how they might be incorporated.

Beast Master would be a pet class. I wonder if they could make it work similar to Hunter in WoW, where you can have different pets from the wild. The pets would have to be normalized so that your animal type is cosmetic rather than a core element of what the class does. Whips would be the clear weapon here, if they don't give it to Blue Mage.

Time Mage seems a bit too niche, to me, to be an FFXIV job in and of itself. Some of their core abilities are already represented in AST and in caster LBs and such. Similarly, Ranger's iconic weapon is already in use. Unless they gave them crossbows, I don't see this becoming a job.

I have to wonder if the theme of Mystic Knight might not find some way to be combined with the Garlean gunblade tech. You have a hi-tech sword that can be modified in battle with cartridges or something (akin a bit to Imperials from Etrian Odyssey IV, if you've ever played that). Elemental damage isn't really a "thing" in FFXIV, so it'd be mainly cosmetic. This could work as a tank or as a DPS class.

Chemist would be a healer. I think they'd give them the X-2 guns. Shoot potions to heal people.

They could also just add new jobs that are original to XIV. MCH and AST, while existing in a way in other FFs like VI or Tactics, are a bit more original in their style and theme to this game.

square make the cloud class

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
I could get down with a Garlean gunblade tank class. Model it after Regula van Hydrus, make it the inverse of RDM, with 90% of the time being melee builing up a meter to jump back and shoot the guy.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mister Olympus posted:

It's easier to design in 14 specifically because of 14's reliance on individual quest series for job specific content. You take a quest every 5/2/whatevs to fight a monster and learn its thing.

They've already decided that they don't want to tie skills to job quests other than capstones though, so I don't see them going back to a design they had and then abandoned.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The decision to tie a couple of crafting skills to quests in Stormblood is legitimately the most confusing thing about the game to me, even including Male Au Ra run animation and the job "Dark Knight".

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Kuvo posted:

I could get down with a Garlean gunblade tank class. Model it after Regula van Hydrus, make it the inverse of RDM, with 90% of the time being melee builing up a meter to jump back and shoot the guy.

I made up a gunblade DPS concept with the mainly melee/some ranged idea a while back and posted it in the thread, where I rightly got called a huge nerd and got theoretically pelted with tomatoes.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Thundarr posted:

They've already decided that they don't want to tie skills to job quests other than capstones though, so I don't see them going back to a design they had and then abandoned.

They decided they wanted tanks to do VIT based damage and then backtracked it. They can go back on decisions.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Phone posted:

square make the cloud class

dark knight is unironically the cloud class

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

So is the new glamour update basically just a chest and being able to turn equipment into a glam with a prism (of which will be consolidated into one kind)? Will we be able to use cross-job armor or anything like that?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Mymla posted:

I have no clue how they'd implement black mage in an MMO like this. The classic style of having three different versions of each spell to match to the enemy's elemental weakness would result in way too much button bloat for it to be playable.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

discovery of the millennium: leves ARE useful when you don't want to gently caress around with dungeons.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Jimbot posted:

So is the new glamour update basically just a chest and being able to turn equipment into a glam with a prism (of which will be consolidated into one kind)? Will we be able to use cross-job armor or anything like that?

Stuff will still be class specific. Basically that chest piece you wear for multiple classes can have a separate look for whichever one you are at the time.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

TFRazorsaw posted:

discovery of the millennium: leves ARE useful when you don't want to gently caress around with dungeons.

Except for beckon leves. Never do them

They exist to troll the player by making them accidentally repeat the last thing you typed in chat instead of /beckon

I know you can bind it to a key but I refuse to give it the dignity

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So for various tank attacks that scale with how much HP you have. Do they only have their max potency when you have full health or do you have some wiggle room if you're slightly below max?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

TFRazorsaw posted:

You can spam (Battlecraft) gathering leves like Adamantoise Tears for easy XP.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Brainamp posted:

Stuff will still be class specific. Basically that chest piece you wear for multiple classes can have a separate look for whichever one you are at the time.

Holy poo poo, finally.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So for various tank attacks that scale with how much HP you have. Do they only have their max potency when you have full health or do you have some wiggle room if you're slightly below max?

Only at max, but they scale linearly down to a minimum potency at around 30% iirc so if you are at 99% you're only losing like 1 potency.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Brainamp posted:

Well, that's better than nothing. I still think they need to drop this class-specific poo poo though. Maybe not for artifact gear but definitely the "of [whatever]" suffix gear. Then they'd be on the road to WoW or Diablo 3's easy-peasy glamour system. The ultimate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Is there a reason why queues for Dun Scaith seem to be even longer than for LotA? Been trying to get into it for the first time for days now but i always end up giving up on the queue. and doing something productive instead.