Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
And of course when things go his way he gets Smug. I really hope he decides to get very cocky to challenge Ippo, only for Ippo to roll dempsey the smug out of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Ippo will invariably win, but he'll only just barely eke out a victory over Itagaki (might possibly even be Ippo's one and only win from decision) instead of wasting him and permanently crippling him from a single kidney blow.

Linnear
Nov 3, 2010
I've liked Itagaki since his fight with mini-Ippo (that was one of my favorite ones), and was looking forward to a possible match against the real deal. Now, not so much. As mentioned before, it really does look like the author has run out of ideas.

Also their legs are going to become stick figures at this rate. It just bothers me when all the boxers have these super solid upper bodies and wobbly, pipe cleaner legs.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

WeaponBoy posted:

I don't even give a poo poo about the characters since not a single one of them has developed at all in years.
I know you're talking about personality development not boxing skills development, but I love how Itagaki doesn't even improve anymore; people just discover how awesome he always was. Like Shinoda only had to remind him to relax and he turned into the unpredictably random fighter he apparently always was. And he already had the capacity for magic sky vision too, I guess he just never really needed it or nobody noticed he had it until he got his eye punched out.

Also what the hell happened here? What could have possibly happened between the top frame and the bottom frame?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

McNerd posted:

Also what the hell happened here? What could have possibly happened between the top frame and the bottom frame?

It looks like Itagaki got slung from a giant rubber band catapult and accidentally ran into Saeki, forcing him to skid to a halt after the collision.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Looks like he's in mid air looking back after whatever the gently caress he did to that other boxer.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Only in ippo would your eye swelling shut not affect your performance in a fight in any way.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Monaghan posted:

Only in ippo would your eye swelling shut not affect your performance in a fight in any way.

But it did affect his performance. It made him better.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Rainbow Pony Deluxe posted:

But it did affect his performance. It made him better.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger :smug:

Just think of how strong we will all be when we are done reading this manga :smith:

Hyun.
May 8, 2008

CaptainRat posted:

That which does not kill us makes us stronger :smug:

Just think of how strong we will all be when we are done reading this manga :smith:

With this awful pace, and how it just seems to dig into new, previously unthought of lows, I don't think we ever get to be done reading this manga.

Duel
Jan 27, 2005

Bakuman has taught me that the world of a mangaka is pretty harsh, so how come Ippo doesn't get cancelled? Is this what the japanese kids really want? :smith:

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.

Duel posted:

Bakuman has taught me that the world of a mangaka is pretty harsh, so how come Ippo doesn't get cancelled? Is this what the japanese kids really want? :smith:

I always presumed that at somepoint Ippo will finally realize his true heritage as a saiyan, and then it'll kick into high gear again as everyone's power levels rise.

Really though I think Ippo is becoming the Garfield of manga. It just plods on vomiting forth mediocrity while people read it because they always have.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Duel posted:

The world of an entry-level mangaka is pretty harsh, yeah. Once you're selling shitloads of volumes though? Don't think it matters much what the questionaires say by then.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Exercu posted:

The world of an entry-level mangaka is pretty harsh, yeah. Once you're selling shitloads of volumes though? Don't think it matters much what the questionaires say by then.

Good theory, but it doesn't explain Woli.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Good theory, but it doesn't explain Woli.

It does, though? HnI has been going on for so long that volume sales are independent of quality. It would not matter if Ippo literally fought Goku, much less one more painful racist stereotype.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Awesome! Two whole new chapters emphasizing how completely and utterly broken Itagaki is. How the gently caress is he not seeming to get hurt at all? Saeki's punches must be pretty piss weak.

Poor Saeki. Can't catch a break. I hope Itagaki has to come up against Sendo and just gets destroyed.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Better than the usual circus bullshit this manga throws. I felt more enjoyment reading those two chapters because it actually involved some BOXING.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Hortism posted:

Awesome! Two whole new chapters emphasizing how completely and utterly broken Itagaki is. How the gently caress is he not seeming to get hurt at all? Saeki's punches must be pretty piss weak.

Poor Saeki. Can't catch a break. I hope Itagaki has to come up against Sendo and just gets destroyed.

Itagaki would destroy Sendo. He would annihilate him, like, breakdancing while singing the name game song and throwing punches backwards. After powering up in such a way for 2 rounds he'll just teleport and clock Sendo in the face a thousand times per second. Before the fight he would train by watching funny movies so he doesn't have to think about boxing properly in the ring. Thinking -and boxing properly- are as you know, his only weaknesses up there.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
A good boxer can't really stand up to honest to god super powers. Well, not without help from their ghostly alter ego.

The Holy Queef
Jul 13, 2003
No, it is not gross, in fact, it's funny, yeah, think of it that way.
been reading ippo for a while, i gotta admit that the best moments in the manga is definitely when ippo calls kumi...

err mashiba

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
So, those two chapters were literally the same. Saeki is in trouble, but he's going to give it his all, only Itagaki kicks his rear end anyway. This is turning into some kind of satire now.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

It sucks. Saekis been boxing for years now. He's been beaten down before, but never lost in terms of speed. And then along comes some magical super powered kid who boxes better by NOT THINKING ABOUT BOXING. Just that. And that suddenly makes him a million times faster and unhittable.
Saeki now has just been totally and utterly outclassed in every possible way. gently caress experience. gently caress tactics. None of that matters at all.
Except hard work. That trumps everything else. Probably even magic teleportation powers (As we'll see when Morikawa does Ippo v Itagaki).

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
Cheer up dudes, at least RRR is still being a great boxing manga and maybe someday Mori will have a magical change of heart or something and wake up wanting to make a great manga again. :unsmith:

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Haven't actually started RRR yet. I figured that since it's already finished I might as well till the scanlations are done first.

And that's the problem with HnI. I kinda feel obliged to follow it since I've read it for so long that I'd like to see it get good again. But there really is no end in sight, and every smug Itagaki battle is making me hate it more and more.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot

Hortism posted:

Haven't actually started RRR yet. I figured that since it's already finished I might as well till the scanlations are done first.

And that's the problem with HnI. I kinda feel obliged to follow it since I've read it for so long that I'd like to see it get good again. But there really is no end in sight, and every smug Itagaki battle is making me hate it more and more.

It's about 5 chapters or so until RRR is done, and the scans come out pretty much daily, so you might as well start now.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Hortism posted:

Good thing is you can just breeze through the HnI chapters fast as possible and be pretty certain that you aren't going to miss anything especially big. At least not miss anything that won't be covered repeatedly over the next 2-4 chapters at least.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
Chapter 971

Saeki :smith:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Vagrancy posted:

Chapter 971

Saeki :smith:

I feel like the bad guy just won :mad:

Seriously, between the fear while we watch him berate his own body and we wonder if he's finished, the excitement of the recovery, and the final crushing bitterness of his refusal to give in and the calling out to an idol for advice even as he blacks out, this is a classic "villain victory" moment. Hell, even our "heroes" behavior seems villainous. Berserker thinking, desperation as he sees his opponent return from a beating, licking up blood...

The loss is bad enough, but then they added on top the gut-check of the announcer declaring Itagaki "The new speed king." And as the cherry on top, the after-text utterly dismissing Saeki's hopes and dreams as nothing by reducing all meaning in the fight down to Itagaki's precious K.O. Time.

If I didn't know better I would swear this was on purpose

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Isn't it pretty obvious to that Itagaki needs to be demonized a bit to make it reasonable for Ippo to fight him later on?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Isn't it pretty obvious to that Itagaki needs to be demonized a bit to make it reasonable for Ippo to fight him later on?

What if I want both of them to lose?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Jesus wept, when?!

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Nah, I wouldn't want Ippo to lose. I would want him to start the fight and instantly 1 hit KO him then just turn around walking back to the corner and say "Omae wa mo shindeiru."

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Well, just read RRR instead. Ippo is going to win through Japanese spirit and Morikawa will keep releasing chapters until he is dead.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
What, am I like the only person who thinks Morikawa showed some actual restraint here and ended the fight before absolutely every last drop was squeezed out? I think he could have gotten at least 3 more chapters out of this fight, easy.

I'm being a bit snarky here, yes, but as a HnI veteran, I feel like I'm entitled to make mountains out of molehills.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

And then in this week the boxing ended.

Seabreeze
Aug 13, 2011

pnumoman posted:

What, am I like the only person who thinks Morikawa showed some actual restraint here and ended the fight before absolutely every last drop was squeezed out? I think he could have gotten at least 3 more chapters out of this fight, easy.

I'm being a bit snarky here, yes, but as a HnI veteran, I feel like I'm entitled to make mountains out of molehills.

It is true that this isn't QUITE the abortion that the monkey boy fight was, but I still hate Itagaki and I don't think anyone likes him.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Seabreeze posted:

It is true that this isn't QUITE the abortion that the monkey boy fight was, but I still hate Itagaki and I don't think anyone likes him.

If you like anything but pedants standing with their mouths agape like suffocating guppy fish and sweating like rutting pigs loving in a blanket for weeks at a time this manga isn't really for you.

Then we get another shot of Ippo with his mouth in a perfect circle, looking backwards over his shoulder as innocent as a child at baptism instead of a world champion boxer and oh god oh god ive got to stop here

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Seabreeze posted:

The difference is, in the Wogli (can't even remember if this is his actual name) fight, we get to see the superpowered bulllshit fighter eventually beaten down.
Here we have to see him, not only win, but embarass one of the cooler old generation fighters.
And Itagaki will probably have beat Ippo's time, setting up an eventual fight that Morikawa will still somehow gently caress up.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

I liked how this fight ended and what it sets up regarding Ippo-Itagaki. I don't really want to see that fight, but I do think the tension surrounding what Itagaki should do is the most interesting thing about his character.

Anywhere, here's hoping we get to see some of Kimura and Aoki's fights... I'm doubting it though. I think we're hosed with seeing them as serious characters until they retire/win a title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Mr. Deathy posted:

I liked how this fight ended and what it sets up regarding Ippo-Itagaki. I don't really want to see that fight, but I do think the tension surrounding what Itagaki should do is the most interesting thing about his character.

The most interesting thing about him is a retread of the first person Ippo fought?

That is a truly sad statement about the level of entertainment to be found in Itagaki.