Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chicken in Black
May 22, 2005

So lovely

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Dream Catchers!

I made one and it actually worked :stonk: I didn't recall any dreams (good or bad) when I had it up. and now that I've taken it down for a long while. I've been getting night terrors.

Do you have a pattern for this? I'd love to make a couple of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Things I have learned about Alexis in the past few days:

1. If I put chunks of apples in his dinner bowl he will only eat those until they are gone to the exclusion of everything else
2. He prefers to eat next to me, preferably while I am also eating, yet mostly sticks with his own food
3. He still needs to learn that My Shoulders are a privilege and not a right. I've figured out that the best way to get him off is to just lay down on the floor
4. He's starting to learn how good scritches feel... especially since he seems to be molting right now
5. Really gonna have to work on his in-house separation anxiety. Part of it is he doesn't play with toys right now--he either eats or wants to be with me at all times. Clicker training should help with this, book and clickers are arriving in the mail in the next day or two.

I'm also considering taking away his Happy Hut now that he's starting to get used to being in my house. Really don't want to be encouraging hormonal behavior, particularly since he is right around the age to hit puberty.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

KillerChicken posted:

Do you have a pattern for this? I'd love to make a couple of them

I just googled that one. But there's tutorials online on how to do them. Part of the fun is putting your own spin on it. Might only work if you make it yourself, if you wanna get voodoo about it. Probably be hot on ETSY too.

Chicken in Black
May 22, 2005

So lovely
Good to know, thanks! Maybe I'll have another use for my vast yarn and feather collections.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Yay, Alexis actually started chewing on one of his new chew toys this evening, and we've also started clicker training. He's still scared of new things but we're working on it, and also on boundaries. He's doing a lot better about not biting as much, too. Still working on getting him to not be hostile about leaving my shoulders, so mostly I've been getting him to stay on my knee and work on letting me pet him and scritch him for extended periods.

He's a lot quieter this evening too, which I think also means he's calming down.

Stannum
May 8, 2005

More of that parrot here:

http://vani-lla.tumblr.com/

:3:

Edit: link fixing.

Stannum fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 6, 2013

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I love this thread. As a kid I had a couple of budgies and they were so much fun. I'd love to have another, or maybe a cockatiel, but I have two kitties. They're so old (15) and uninterested in most things not catnip or head scratches that they probably would completely ignore the bird but that whole predator/prey thing... I dunno. I guess I'll just live vicariously through all of you, so more pictures and videos please! I know there are lots already but more will not hurt :D

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Alexis-cam is back up.
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/alexis-the-dusky-conure
He's being boring right now. I'm hoping he'll start playing with his toys soon--he did a bit last night with one of them, so that was a positive sign that he's starting to be more comfortable with his big life change.

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)
Okay, bird thread. I have a question for you.

So I have this cockatiel who's pretty old. I don't know his precise age, but he definitely acts and sorta looks like an old curmudgeon. He was adopted from a friend by my sister. She attempted to train him-- he wasn't hand trained OR perch trained when she got him, and also quite bitey-- but gave up way too easily. She is also at work a lot of the time so didn't have as much time to spend with him. She's had him for about a year now, and now he's back at the main house with me and the rest of the family. I've been trying to perch-train him, but considering I have no prior experience with cockatiels or any other bigger bird, I'm not really sure what to do. I've been sort of slowly but surely inching a perch into his cage (He hisses at it... of course.) before slowly trying to bring it up to him. He just freaks out and screams at it. I've done this for like hours a day and I'm not seeing any sign of improvement or comfort with the perch at all.

Considering how old he is, is it a lost cause? Or am I just doing things wrong? Or am I not doing enough? I love the old guy anyway but seeing all these tame whippersnappers makes me want to un-spoil him a bit. :smith:

PS-- I'd clip his wings, but he has one bum foot (Has no toes on it; I think he was just born that way), so he has a hard time getting around as it is. Should I clip his wings anyway, despite the fact that this would greatly limit his general mobility?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Kenshin posted:

Alexis-cam is back up.
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/alexis-the-dusky-conure
He's being boring right now. I'm hoping he'll start playing with his toys soon--he did a bit last night with one of them, so that was a positive sign that he's starting to be more comfortable with his big life change.

I think I caught him making laser pew pew noises.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Hahaha oh my god he is DEFINITELY shooting down rebel starfighters.

edit to add: Lovebird :3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDOKboG5OSA

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 6, 2013

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

SquadronROE posted:

I think I caught him making laser pew pew noises.

Yeah, he's been making cute and varied sounds to himself for about 45 minutes now.

Those of you with conures will notice how amazingly quiet he is for a conure. Don't worry, he's sure to scream in my ear at the most startling times each morning.

EDIT: oh my god he full on cuddled with me this evening. :3:

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 7, 2013

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Joe Don Baker posted:

I love the neck ruffles when he's all content with a full crop.

I missed this before somehow; I love his expression, it's so full of benign interest in whatever it was you were doing at that moment. I think a full crop makes for a mellow grey. I've noticed that Pookie is particularly mellow when she gets a cropful of something warm, like camomile tea - its like she has an internal hot water bottle :3:

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Captain Clown posted:

I've been trying to perch-train him, but considering I have no prior experience with cockatiels or any other bigger bird, I'm not really sure what to do. I've been sort of slowly but surely inching a perch into his cage (He hisses at it... of course.) before slowly trying to bring it up to him. He just freaks out and screams at it. I've done this for like hours a day and I'm not seeing any sign of improvement or comfort with the perch at all.

Considering how old he is, is it a lost cause? Or am I just doing things wrong? Or am I not doing enough? I love the old guy anyway but seeing all these tame whippersnappers makes me want to un-spoil him a bit. :smith:

PS-- I'd clip his wings, but he has one bum foot (Has no toes on it; I think he was just born that way), so he has a hard time getting around as it is. Should I clip his wings anyway, despite the fact that this would greatly limit his general mobility?

Birds that have mobility problems compensate with wings and their beaks. Clipping really would impact his mobility and stress him out. If he's caged in a secure, safe room (no windows to smack into, mirrors, etc), just open the cage door and let him come out on his own terms. Grab a book, sit down next to the cage, and let his grumpy rear end make the overtures of interaction. Birds are social creatures and despite that all-consuming hatred he's displaying, little derpbutt enjoys your company.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Official Bizness posted:

Birds are social creatures and despite that all-consuming hatred he's displaying, little derpbutt enjoys your company.

Think of it this way: he could be sitting all by himself, completely bored.... or he could have a mammal to glare at and hate!! Way better to have the entertainment of disgruntlement, yes?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Pookah posted:

I missed this before somehow; I love his expression, it's so full of benign interest in whatever it was you were doing at that moment. I think a full crop makes for a mellow grey. I've noticed that Pookie is particularly mellow when she gets a cropful of something warm, like camomile tea - its like she has an internal hot water bottle :3:

They definitely enjoy a warm meal. When my mom takes him she feeds him warm baby food. He gags it down like when he was a baby. It puts him in a good mood.

I also tried to setup a Hannah Cam but it didn't come out very good. I need a real webcam or something to make it viewable.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-OaO-HWTDY
Cockatiel and budgie gold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkSvE42zhLU
Whoever said budgies dont kill lied

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv2mVg36rAc
Rounding it out with creepy talking budgie masturbation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBgJjMVKKRk
im dying guys
guys
birds dancing to dubstep compilation
The cockatoo at 1:20 SO PRO ..and the cockatiel right after :3:

I think Im spending the rest of the night watching bird youtube vids

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Malalol posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv2mVg36rAc
Rounding it out with creepy talking budgie masturbation

This video started off with the budgie so close to the camera that it made me feel like he turned the camera on as if to show the entire world his sick video

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Malalol posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBgJjMVKKRk
im dying guys
guys
birds dancing to dubstep compilation
The cockatoo at 1:20 SO PRO ..and the cockatiel right after :3:

I think Im spending the rest of the night watching bird youtube vids

It's a known fact that all members of family Cacatuidae have sick nasty moves :eng101:

My favorite is the tiel strutting atop the desk, bobbing up and down. It is so perfect for the music, the bird is like, yes, I am a badass, deal with it.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

So, I posted about poop on Ritz's vent a couple days ago and it was decided that he's just a messy bird...

Oh, that's nothing.. just wearing a big chunk of raspberry as a hat :derptiel:

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0Iqx1WIjz8

Here's a video of some sweet fiddle shredding and an adorable derp.

Sekkira fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 8, 2013

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

This video does not exist. :(

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

So ever since Leeloo realized that the kitchen sink=water she goes nutso whenever I do the dishes. I generally don't let her drown herself also one time she fell into the soapy dishwater and wasn't happy. But today she stood on my shoulders while I washed the dishes and did all her 'I'm taking a bath!' posturing, but this time she did it in my wet hair :3:. Bird.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq_PA2Rgaws

Oh my god he is so snuggly now that he trusts me.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I bought Hannah some toys from that safebirdstore site. I got him some sort of wheel that he has to turn a thing to get treats out of. Took him about two seconds to figure it out. I also bought a chew toy. It's just some wood slats hung together with a leather string. Hannah chewed up one piece of wood and then decided it was more fun just to un-knot the leather and let it fall to the bottom of his perch. I'll redo the knot and hang it back up only for him to undo it a few minutes later.

What a jerk.

electricgoat
Aug 17, 2009
Kenshin: Cuddly bird is adorable!! :)

So this is the weekend where Bird and I get to have wild parties all by ourselves! We're going to eat lots of veggies and go to bed really early! Wooo!!!

When I got home from work, I saw that my roommate had re-arranged Bird's cage. That's the third time in 2 weeks, which seems like too much, but it's all good because I spent a bunch of time playing with Bird with her toys so she could see where everything is now and how to get to it. Then she went for some walks (where I stick my fingers through the bars and she climbs and hops across them). She goes nuts for walks! It's to the point now where if I say "Want walk?" she will run to the perch we usually start our walks from. Very cute!

After playtime, we had some dinner! Bird ate a wee bit of tofu, tonnes of kale, broccoli, and spinach, and had a bit of roasted carrot and pineapple. She wanted nothing to do with red bell pepper or mango today.

I left the cage door open while we ate, and she ended up flying out and onto my plate (BIRD STOP THINKING YOU ARE FOOD!). I don't like to take her out of the cage but she clearly wanted to come out this time, so I had her come up onto my hand and I put her and her food up at the top of the cage. She ate for a bit from my hand. She sometimes likes to stand on my hand while she eats, which is cute but weird. Here's us having a kale party, after she had eaten the leaves and was murdering some stems:

A pretty little green girl eating some pineapple while standing in her pellets:

She got bored of eating and decided I am a playground. Her favourite human perches seem to be my shoulder, my wrist, and my... errrr... chest. I was wearing a big baggy robe so she was playing around in all the folds in it. Too cute!

Also, I figured out what was up with the mouth thing. I thought she had been trying to get into my mouth, but it was always through the bars, so it's clear now that I was wrong. It turns out she was trying to gently nibble on my lips. I can't even guess what that means, or if it's something I should even be letting her do (?).

I tried to get a picture of her standing on my chest. She decided to eat the camera:

I successfully got a picture of her standing on my wrist. The picture's blurry because she was just about to bite the camera again:

Bird got way too wound up so I put her back in her house, but left the door open. We then had a broccoli party:

We then had a bit more playtime, then some pats. I turned off a few lights and closed the blinds to let her wind down. I'll go back out in about 20 minutes to give her some bedtime pats, and then it's sleepytime for her.

Bird far prefers to eat food if it's from your hand. Food from her dish is okay, but she's way more into it if you're holding it for her. My roommate says not to feed her from my hand because it's spoiling her and she needs to learn to eat from her dish. Is it a bad idea to feed her from my hand?

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010
No, hand feed her all you like. Birds aren't dumb, she'll eat from her bowl if she's hungry and has no other food. Hand feeding builds trust and keeps a bird hand tame as life goes on. You aren't feeding anything she shouldn't have- it's all super good for her and the interaction will strengthen her feeling of "flock" and keep her mentally healthy too.

Your roommate is dumb- if people insist on imprinting birds on people they could at least shift their asses to interact with the creatures.

Lenswork fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 8, 2013

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

electricgoat posted:

When I got home from work, I saw that my roommate had re-arranged Bird's cage. That's the third time in 2 weeks, which seems like too much, but it's all good because I spent a bunch of time playing with Bird with her toys so she could see where everything is now and how to get to it. Then she went for some walks (where I stick my fingers through the bars and she climbs and hops across them). She goes nuts for walks! It's to the point now where if I say "Want walk?" she will run to the perch we usually start our walks from. Very cute!

I dont think its a bad thing that the cage is rearranged either. Keeps things new and fresh for the bird, especially if they are shut in there for long amounts of time.

electricgoat
Aug 17, 2009
Lenswork: I'm not at all a fan of people keeping birds (or other exotic animals) as pets, so I definitely agree that if people are going to do it, they should at least give their birds the love and attention they need. I'm glad I'm not screwing her up by feeding her from my hands.

Frogmanv2: My roommate does try to take her out daily, though it usually ends up only being 3-4 times a week, and not for long periods of time. He's kind of a jerk to her when she's out, so she tends to spend her time out of the cage flying away from him and crashing into stuff. I'm quite concerned she'll hurt herself. I am not allowed to take her out of her cage, or even open the cage door, but my roommate's not around to stop me this weekend. I was very worried she'd freak out when she was out with me, but she was pretty chill. She definitely prefers to be in her cage, though. I'm glad it's okay for her cage to be re-arranged so often. I was worried she wasn't getting enough time to get used to it, but I'm glad that's not an issue! :)

Food question: Tomorrow's breakfast is oatmeal with raisins, cinnamon, and toasted almonds, followed by a banana. Is that all okay for her? Dinner will be spinach, oranges, almonds, black beans, green beans, chickpeas, beets, sweet potato, kale, and brown rice. Are any of those not okay for her to eat? I was going to cook the brown rice up in some veggie broth, but would that be too salty for her?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

electricgoat posted:

Food question: Tomorrow's breakfast is oatmeal with raisins, cinnamon, and toasted almonds, followed by a banana. Is that all okay for her? Dinner will be spinach, oranges, almonds, black beans, green beans, chickpeas, beets, sweet potato, kale, and brown rice. Are any of those not okay for her to eat? I was going to cook the brown rice up in some veggie broth, but would that be too salty for her?
All of those are great, just give her very little of the brown rice due to the salt content. Also she doesn't need much of the banana or almonds.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

SaNChEzZ posted:

This video does not exist. :(

I fixed it up. I keep leaving off the last letter.

electricgoat
Aug 17, 2009

Kenshin posted:

All of those are great, just give her very little of the brown rice due to the salt content. Also she doesn't need much of the banana or almonds.

Would corn be a better choice than the brown rice? And would an apple be better than the banana? (And thanks as always for your advice!)

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

electricgoat posted:

Would corn be a better choice than the brown rice? And would an apple be better than the banana? (And thanks as always for your advice!)

Make sure its lukewarm throughout. Hot foods are bad for birdy crops!

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Unsurprisingly the birds don't seem to miss me while I'm away, though I think I miss them. It's so weird not having to plan mornings around waking them up and getting their breakfast, and being able to walk wherever I want without something screaming or flying after me.

electricgoat posted:

It seems hard to find a parrot that doesn't like apple, give her everything and see what she'll have. It's nice to see she isn't completely broken, and will still happily interact with people if all is well. She's so tiny and looks adorable stood on your hand there!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Does anybody else's bird talk in their sleep? Last night Ritz was having a full on conversation of honks and squeaks with himself. I lifted his cover to see if he was awake, only to be greeted with a fluffy ball inside his hut (this woke him up). So I told him goodnight again and dropped the cover, girlfriend started laughing quietly, and so did Ritz :3:

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Zeke puts himself to sleep by grumbling "pretty bird" to himself. These are the only words he knows. Despite hating my mother, he learned them from her and refuses to be taught WAY cooler stuff like "poop bomb." :saddowns:

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

So I'm having some trouble in bird paradise. For some reason Marshall and the other birds have been getting into deafeningly loud screaming matches at the asscrack of dawn. Normally, Finn and Marceline are extremely quiet and well behaved, and Marshall on his own is really good as well but together it seems like he just makes them angry, as soon as he's removed from the room the screaming stops. I'm contemplating removing his cage from their room for a while but I feel like it may make the problem worse - yesterday Marceline bit him (he had been preening her) and ripped out a whole beak full of feathers. His cage is currently across the room from the other two.

I understand that maybe the three of them will never get along - but I'm drat determined to try to make it work. Only uh. I really would like to be able to sleep in the morning and we have the possibility of needing to move into an apartment for a few months by the end of the school year so i'm a bit nervous about that as well. Advice? :(

Tadhg Dall
Dec 5, 2008

SaNChEzZ posted:

Does anybody else's bird talk in their sleep?

Sometimes my budgie will be doing the normal budgie chatter, and I'll realize he's been noisy for a really long time, and when I turn around, he has his head tucked into his back and is fast asleep while he continues with the constant peeping. His body will be shaking with the force of his peeps. I have no idea how he can sleep like that.:derptiel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicken in Black
May 22, 2005

So lovely
My lovebird chatters, whirrs, screeches and beeps all day and all night, the main difference is when she's asleep and doing it is that it's a bit quieter than while awake. She even says her version of "step up" :3: