Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

leaves can also be used as fletching for ticon ranged ammo

slime leaves are the best type of fletching and you can get slimy saplings from the sapling bags

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
The sapling bag thing has not been working out too well for me. I can grow a forest of tigerwood and acacia, but that darkwood is about the best nether wood I found. I was even in the double digits trying to get saplings before a rubber tree popped out.

Edit: Come to think of it, the seed bags have been pretty bad too. If this were real, the food I'd be eating would be making me fart horrifically. Machine parts, on the other hand, have been pleasant. Got a grinder, harvester, a pile of different gears, and two resonant frames.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

If this were real, the food I'd be eating would be making me fart horrifically
man i must be lucky, i never got any soylent seeds out of the seed bags

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Edit: Come to think of it, the seed bags have been pretty bad too. If this were real, the food I'd be eating would be making me fart horrifically. Machine parts, on the other hand, have been pleasant. Got a grinder, harvester, a pile of different gears, and two resonant frames.

I've been fairly lucky on trees; first bag was a rubber tree and my third was a fusewood. Machine bags though... my first three (non-blackmarket) were fruit pickers :(

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Glory of Arioch posted:

man i must be lucky, i never got any soylent seeds out of the seed bags

I thought the point of Soylent was a software engineer did not want to have to take a poo poo anymore.

My seeds have come down to an odd number of cabbage and scallions. Throw on top of that eggs and milk, and I get :laffo::butt:

I did eventually get some oreberry bushes, and nether wart, so I can't entirely complain. However, the apple tree was a punch to the face. It also likes to give me pistachio saplings. The first one I planted started a single nut. I harvested it, and that one never re-ripened, so I considered it a dead end. Yes, I know not to punch off the fruits/nuts. That tree was just a dud.

I still think they should just outright give a soybean seed bag early on and it could shut up the food diversity problem. That is assuming Harvestcraft still does all the tofu stuff.

My fart diet is being cut by variations of wheat, beef, dairy, and berries. I turned down the Spice of Life food memory, but I could probably make it work.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I had decent luck with random bags, but abysmal luck with mining. I literally could not find lead for hours, so I requisitioned my one free leadstone energy cell and pulverized it, converted one of the lead ingots to nuggets, and used those nuggets as seeds for the thaumcraft alchemy that to transmutes metallum and ordo to lead. I've still never found any ore, I'm getting all my lead with just infinitely cloning that original lead nugget.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
If you centrifuge vitreum or potentia from glass or charcoal, you get half ordo and can transmute the stacks and stacks of iron you have into lead.

Ordo in general is just a bitch to get unless you centrifuge it down.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Get more random bags through the Black Market. Dump all that useless prometheum until the market peaks to gain a significant stash of reward bags and spawn eggs, then further block investment forever afterward will get you a sapling bag. Haven't tried the other three yet; haven't really been mining in those areas.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Magres posted:

If you centrifuge vitreum or potentia from glass or charcoal, you get half ordo and can transmute the stacks and stacks of iron you have into lead.

Ordo in general is just a bitch to get unless you centrifuge it down.

I had so much random rock from mining to try to find lead I converted all of it to vanilla cobblestone and smelted it up in my infernal furnace before converting it to chiseled stone using Chisel. Got most of my ordo so far that way, although I'm not sure if it's possible to automate. I didn't really look because I didn't need more than 30 lead or so.

Another neat trick you can use to get metal is most of the Metallurgy ingots can be used to make vanilla buckets, which can be smelted down into iron in a Tinkers' smeltery, which is easy enough to automate the extraction with a hardened fluiduct, a servo, and a hopper.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Oh neat, I didn't realize chiseled stone gives Ordo!

I don't think you can automate Chisel usage (unless the chisel changes count as recipes and you could do it with an auto-crafting table or a crafty crate?) so for automated Ordo the answer is probably still generate gobble, pulverize and smelt and furnace the sand/glass for vitreum, then centrifuge the vitreum. For early game Ordo though, chiseled stone is definitely the better way to get it

Magres fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 20, 2015

TyreForHyre
Dec 22, 2011

Ask me about capital Ds and how disintegration is totally rad.

Taffer posted:

Rad As Hell LivingWood/Stone Build
Cripes that's loads cleaner than my setup that I was tinkering around with.
I was making something with just Botania junk, and while it works it has some weird things that make it a bit of a pain, like having to "prime" the whole setup at least once by placing fresh materials around the flower, and cycling through to make sure there is a single piece of material in each of the hoppers. If I run out of stone or wood to be converted, then I have to prime the system again.

Overview: There is a pure daisy on enchanted soil nestled right in the center between the stone and logs, when the timer ticks over at 50 seconds it shoots a mana bore burst from two spreaders which are each aiming at their own pool. After a delay the pistons push the fresh layer of material onto obsidian blocks. Two separate petite rannuncarpus are set on top of their respective materials, so more stone goes on top of stone, and more wood onto wood, they are fed by their own hopper/open crate setup, which allow only three items to come out at a time. There is lastly a hopperhock set on top of enchanted soil which zips all the living mats into their proper chests before the rannuncarpuses can slap them down in a place they shouldn't. The mana fired from the spreaders gets recycled back into the main pool by use of a dominate spark, and the whole thing runs on peanuts amounts of mana.

I thought I was making something called "pulse extenders" but I guess all it actually ended up doing was turning the -single- pulse into three separate pulses, which actually turns out perfect for this setup.

Front view:

Bonus messy Red String container upgrade to make it easier to fill the dang thing:

Double bonus hopperhock/hovering hourglass bug:

This was all really dumb and took far too long but I think I'm almost learning how redstone functions (kinda???) after far too many years of playing.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Jeez that's insane. Pretty much sums up why I try to avoid vanilla redstone - the PRC is janky and annoying as hell but it's still so much easier than dealing with vanilla redstone.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

For Ordo essentia, these seem interesting too :

Silicon : Ignis:1 Sensus:1 Ordo:1
Smooth Sandstone : Perditio:3 Terra:2 Ordo:1

I always used Greatwood in the past i think tho..

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

poo poo is way easier than y'all are making it out to be

underground is a very simple circuit -- hovering hourglass marks out a 2m pulse, red string comparator reads the output chest and prevents the pulse from happening if the output chest is full

the pulse triggers the mana spreader to shoot, and the mana burst is bore + warp + something else, I forgot

it also triggers the corporea funnels to crap out some smoothstone to fill in the blocks for a new set

the warp lens is your friend

TyreForHyre
Dec 22, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

poo poo is way easier than y'all are making it out to be

underground is a very simple circuit -- hovering hourglass marks out a 2m pulse, red string comparator reads the output chest and prevents the pulse from happening if the output chest is full

the pulse triggers the mana spreader to shoot, and the mana burst is bore + warp + something else, I forgot

it also triggers the corporea funnels to crap out some smoothstone to fill in the blocks for a new set

the warp lens is your friend
That's pretty slick! I haven't dinked around with warp lenses and corporea junk yet, so I'll have to give that setup a spin.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is there a 'usual' mod for adding in one-block redstone circuits? I'm not at that point in my garden of glass world yet, but I figure the sooner I know my options the better.

Then again I guess redstone stuff will be useful the moment I get an endoflame so maybe I'm closer than I thought.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
MFR's Rednet Controller or whatever it is happens to be the King of Compact Redstone.

There's also Steve's Factory Manager, which isn't in Blightfall I think

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

Is there a 'usual' mod for adding in one-block redstone circuits? I'm not at that point in my garden of glass world yet, but I figure the sooner I know my options the better.

Then again I guess redstone stuff will be useful the moment I get an endoflame so maybe I'm closer than I thought.

don't tell me you need a redstone helper mod to automate the endoflame :magical:

you need a wooden pressure plate, 3 redstone dust, two half slabs, an open crate and a hopper

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Glory of Arioch posted:

don't tell me you need a redstone helper mod to automate the endoflame :magical:

you need a wooden pressure plate, 3 redstone dust, two half slabs, an open crate and a hopper

I wouldn't have figured it out without that picture one of you posted a few pages ago :downs: How redstone works with vertical surfaces and slabs and things is one of those things I continually forget. Much prefer obvious-looking redstone cabling.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Is there a way to get wither skeletons in Blightfall?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Taffer posted:

Is there a way to get wither skeletons in Blightfall?

not sure but there was some entry about wither skeleton skulls next to the infusion altar in the thaumonomicon, though I did not bother to research it yet

sorry it was the alchemy tab

Gwyneth Palpate fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 20, 2015

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

while i am thinking about it, one of the things in garden of glass that pissed me off was that witches spawn in dark places

this really messed with my mob grinder that I made with a bellethorne (hurts monsters) and a gourmaryllis (eats food, like zombie flesh, for mana)

the bellethorne would start tryin to kill a witch but the witch would huck a regen potion at her feet, which negated all the bellethorne damage

made the whole thing grind to a standstill and net mana negative

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Mzbundifund posted:

I had decent luck with random bags, but abysmal luck with mining. I literally could not find lead for hours, so I requisitioned my one free leadstone energy cell and pulverized it, converted one of the lead ingots to nuggets, and used those nuggets as seeds for the thaumcraft alchemy that to transmutes metallum and ordo to lead. I've still never found any ore, I'm getting all my lead with just infinitely cloning that original lead nugget.

This is the most :minecraftmodding: thing I've read in a while.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

bbcisdabomb posted:

This is the most :minecraftmodding: thing I've read in a while.

I'll take that as a compliment!

Glory of Arioch posted:

while i am thinking about it, one of the things in garden of glass that pissed me off was that witches spawn in dark places

this really messed with my mob grinder that I made with a bellethorne (hurts monsters) and a gourmaryllis (eats food, like zombie flesh, for mana)

the bellethorne would start tryin to kill a witch but the witch would huck a regen potion at her feet, which negated all the bellethorne damage

made the whole thing grind to a standstill and net mana negative

Not that this helps in Garden of Glass, but witches' regen potions will outpace the damage from a Well of Suffering, so if you're doing blood magic and can capture and name a few witches, they will sit in the well providing you infinite blood just dying and healing and screaming and screaming and screaming.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Does Garden of Glass have Extra Utilities? I never really saw a use for the muffler block until I made a Well of Suffering setup.

Ellieanna
Jul 16, 2014

Sistergodiva posted:

I feel a bit stupid. I have some food growing. Made a pick from flint and then prometheum, mined some iron and tin.

Not sure where I should go from here. Found the swamp and made rubber.

I died a lot trying to get to the swamp, made armor and stuff, but the flying taint particles own me.

Did you have the hit boxes turned on? I have issues with aiming, so when I was told about the hit box, having it on really helped killed the bees. (F3 + B simultaneously, then press them individually to turn off what they leave up on the screen)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Ellieanna posted:

Did you have the hit boxes turned on? I have issues with aiming, so when I was told about the hit box, having it on really helped killed the bees. (F3 + B simultaneously, then press them individually to turn off what they leave up on the screen)

If you use a TiCon frying pan for a weapon, particularly a piston upgraded one, this is a must because when you punt Tainted Swarms far, the graphics don't follow at all and you have entirely invisible bees swarming you shortly thereafter.

TyreForHyre
Dec 22, 2011

Magres posted:

Does Garden of Glass have Extra Utilities? I never really saw a use for the muffler block until I made a Well of Suffering setup.

GoG is just an addon for Botania that turns it into a skyblock setup, and allows you to get all the things you would in any other world, just in a different way.
It's not a modpack itself, just a nice little addition and an alternative to Ex Nihilo for skyblock modded stuff.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Magres posted:

Garden of Glass isn't a monolithic mod pack, it's just the name of the insert you can add to a modpack to enable Botania's skyblock mode when making a new map

so you can put whatever you want in with it (though anything other than basic utility mods like NEI and WAILA are cheating!!!!)

you can turn down individual types of noise (block, animal, monster) in the normal minecraft settings

this was pretty important for me in GoG because the orechid is loving loud and it runs rapid fire with the right setup, so block sounds went right the gently caress down to like 5%

TyreForHyre
Dec 22, 2011

There is also this if ya don't want to keep slapping your sliders around: http://minecraft.curseforge.com/mc-mods/225956-soundmuffler
Does what it says on the tin, adds sound mufflers with non of the extra.... utilitiness of Extra Utilities.
Mind you you need Baubles because for some reason it also adds earplugs but if you are playing GoG then... Well I hope ya have it anyway.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Blightfall 2.1.1

http://www.technicpack.net/article/technic-thursday-post-blightfall.121

quote:

Mod Changes:
-Added "Cooking for Blockheads." This should make Pam's Harvestcraft less painful!
-Added HelpFixer. Now you can /help for what little info it gives you.
-Added BetterRain.
-Added ChickenChunks
-Added PurplePanic
-Added PlayerAPI
-Updated ReqCredit.
---Fixes issue with dawn totems "Turning off".
---Fixes a lot of oreDiscovery bugs.
-Updated CustomNPCs.
---See "World changes," below!

Quest Changes:
-Added Emergency Nutrient bar as food requisition instead of jerkies.
-Gold tools cost 6 rep now, making gold ingots obtained from old gold tools as costly as copper.
-Iron tools cost 3 rep now for a similar reason.
-Sunflower seed reward bag now gives a half stack. Because apparantly being unable to plant them is a "feature" according to Pam.
-Tainted players removed from reward bags.
-Smeltery questline rewards you with a black book, given that it doesn't spawn naturally as I expected.
-Fixed spelling mistakes.
-You can requisition a machine gun.
-There is a quest showing you how to build stone guns.
-If you want to cheat, you can get nearly 200 thaumcraft research discoveries for free.
-Botania "Another Path to Purity" fixed.
-Fixed south ocean badge.

Config Changes:
-Emergency Nutrient Bars and now completely immune to diminishing returns, matching their tooltips.
-Diminishing returns tweaked. They now asymtotically approach 16.5% insteaad of 0%. This means bread will decay to a minimum of a half a ham hock, making it possible to eat bread forever. http://i.imgur.com/gM5UYG6.png
-You now get hungry 80% as quickly as vanilla. You still get hungry standing still.
-Food history shortened to 200 ham hocks from 250.

Recipe changes:
-You can now get ender air.
-You can now cook bread in a redstone furnace.
-Metal removed from Grilled Cheese.
-Blood magic now correctly makes diamond stuff other than swords.

World Changes: (Old worlds will have these changes retroactively added!)
-Added cheat platform hub.
-Killed Thyrork. This should make producing eldritch eyes easier.
-Tainted hero now 100% less immortal.

:allears: You wonderful modder you.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is it safe to upgrade? I've found HQM twitchy about having the carpet pulled out from under itself.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
:pusheen:

That's a drat fine list of changes. Really digging the food ones, I like the choice between getting into (the newly upgraded) Pam's and just brute-force breading your way through life. It's good to let players choose to not do something, even if they have to pay a hefty convenience/ignorance tax for it.

Anyone know what PurplePanic does? Given that taint is entirely purple...

30.5 Days posted:

Nothing so devious. I named it that because we were panicking because we didn't want to push an entirely new map for the couple of changes we were doing to the world, and we didn't want people's worlds to be obsoleted.

So what PurplePanic does is it (very hackily) allows me to load in schematics to the world on load. We used this to add the cheat area on The Jaded, and the Thyrork POI.

Oh, cool! That's really slick.

Magres fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 20, 2015

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

quote:

-Metal removed from Grilled Cheese

Thank gently caress for that, you'll be handling the oral surgeon bills right?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is it safe to upgrade? I've found HQM twitchy about having the carpet pulled out from under itself.

We specifically tested upgrades and they worked.

But it's HQM so who the hell knows!! (yes, please upgrade, we worked really hard on this)

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Magres posted:

:pusheen:

That's a drat fine list of changes.

Anyone know what PurplePanic does? Given that taint is entirely purple...

Nothing so devious. I named it that because we were panicking because we didn't want to push an entirely new map for the couple of changes we were doing to the world, and we didn't want people's worlds to be obsoleted.

So what PurplePanic does is it (very hackily) allows me to load in schematics to the world on load. We used this to add the cheat area on The Jaded, and the Thyrork POI.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

30.5 Days posted:

-Killed Thyrork. This should make producing eldritch eyes easier.

What?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

30.5 Days posted:

We specifically tested upgrades and they worked.

But it's HQM so who the hell knows!! (yes, please upgrade, we worked really hard on this)

Did you look at Thaumic Horizons when adding stuff to the pack? Any particular reason it's not included? :)

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
So uh, Talonos is in class, and I've been spending a lot of time talking about food here, so let's go over the changes:

- The Diminishing Returns change makes it so that the food DR curve is the same up to 5 eats, and it starts being not-as-bad-as-it-was after that. The distance between how it is now and how it was before increases as you eat more, until it evens out at 35 eats, at 16.5%. This is the exact percent at which bread is still worth half a haunch. It stays at that percentage no matter how many you eat.
- The hunger rate is 20% lower than it was.
- The hunger buffer is 400 instead of 500.
- The food requisition gives you some amount of a 2.5 haunch food that is immune to DR instead of jerky. This should ensure that the requisition quest is not total garbo now, and also allow you to spend mission outlook for having to worry about food less. Incidentally: the rations still occupy space in your food buffer. This makes the food requisition really good.

If you don't want to worry about any of this poo poo, we added the cheat area to The Jaded. It's on the top floor, it's visible from the hallway, but you need to break glass to get to it. You also need to be op or have a friend who's op to use what you find there. There's one cheat that gives you access to free Emergency Nutrition Rations and one that gives you all the thaumcraft research if you're just done with that now.

Reminder: thanks to PurplePanic, this is in your map now, currently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

This sounds really good.