Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

RatHat posted:

Wait Esau doesn’t go away even when you turn into the Lost? That’s nuts. I was thinking you could just turn into the Lost at the start of a floor and play Tainted Jacob like Tainted Lost.

I guess that’s why Tainted Jacob is a challenge character. Still not as annoying as Tainted Lazarus.

He's far, far worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

RatHat posted:

Wait Esau doesn’t go away even when you turn into the Lost? That’s nuts. I was thinking you could just turn into the Lost at the start of a floor and play Tainted Jacob like Tainted Lost.

I guess that’s why Tainted Jacob is a challenge character. Still not as annoying as Tainted Lazarus.
You can kill Esau to avoid dealing with him, if you don't mind being The Lost (or doing the glitch to avoid turning into the Lost). He will respawn on the next floor though.

Of course if you do that, he's just a worse version of the Lost. Esau can also be a powerful weapon if you use it carefully, so you might not want to get rid of him.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
i extremely do not like tainted cain

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
It's easy to craft Divorce Papers using just common crap, and it isn't a bad shot of firepower and health at least in the early game.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Somebody posted some hack in here earlier. It's very easy to craft the portable slot machine and then you take the same materials into a room with the devil pool and craft a second portable slot machine and it'll give you something OP from the pool instead. I forget what.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

PostNouveau posted:

Somebody posted some hack in here earlier. It's very easy to craft the portable slot machine and then you take the same materials into a room with the devil pool and craft a second portable slot machine and it'll give you something OP from the pool instead. I forget what.

Here's the easy peasy method.

Araxxor posted:

Well. That was a very very silly Tainted Cain run.

Managed to get every single completion mark in 1 run. (Aside from Greed Mode which is a separate thing.) I had 140,162.4+ DPS by the end of that run! Everything melted instantly, boss armor be damned.

Despite the Alabaster Box nerf, Tainted Cain can still get snowballing hard with a decent enough start. Just make sure to craft Birthright at some point to make the crafting easier. The earlier, the better.

First, craft an active item. Portable Slot Machine is one of the easiest ones since the recipe is 8 pennies.

Then, find the secret room and craft another active item in the secret room. This will cause your current active item to immediately explode into pickups, one of which should be a bone heart.

Use that bone heart to craft Rock Bottom. (1 bone heart + 4 pennies + 3 keys is one of the easiest recipes for it.) Then, craft red stew for a permanent massive damage boost. (6 pennies, 1 key, and 1 bomb is a super easy recipe.)

Then, craft Soy Milk. (Lotta easy recipes for this one, but 5 hearts + 3 bombs should be the easiest one.)

And for maximum overkill, craft Monstro's Lung.(4 hearts, 2 pennies, 1 bomb, 1 pill. Or 1 penny, 6 keys, and 1 bomb are easy recipes for that one.)

Congratulations, you are now a vomiting death machine as Soy Milk in Repentance completely gets rid of the charge time on any charged attack. From there do whatever the hell you want. If you can't get into the boss rush or hush in time, make Mama Mega so you can do that. Especially if you opt for the R Key method to complete multiple runs, as the R Key does not reset the timer. Only the Beast and Mega Satan can instantly end the run, so do those guys last if you're doing completion marks. Do Mega Satan before you do the Beast, as Mega Satan only has a 50% chance to end the run if you have the Void unlocked.

GuavaMoment posted:

I'd highly recommend flat stone to go with Monstro's Lung using this route since it's the easiest way to fix the horrible range you end up with.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Mr. Maggy posted:

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
I am one Mother kill away from completing all the normal characters, and now that I am about to tackle the tainted characters, I'm wondering how y'all would rank the taints in regards to difficulty and/or fun?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

worst and least fun is laz, easiest is probably maggie or lilith. maggie, keeper, and judas are the most fun to me at least, samson is up there as well. eve is like simultaneously one of the easiest and most difficult. cain exists on a fifth dimensional scale where the amount of fun you’ll have is how much you enjoy doing research

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Greenplastic posted:

I am one Mother kill away from completing all the normal characters, and now that I am about to tackle the tainted characters, I'm wondering how y'all would rank the taints in regards to difficulty and/or fun?
Most fun are also the easiest (Tainted Maggie, Tainted Lilith). Maggie's my favorite for sure.

Next strongest are Isaac, Judas. Maybe TEve around this level (I love TEve)

T Samson is very fun but fairly standard power level. TApollyon similar power level.

TEden is below average power level. Imo fun outside of hush/delirium.

The hardest for sure are TLaz, TLost, and TJacob. I hate TLost but some people enjoy him, Laz is probably least fun character, TJacob is so ball crushingly hard that fun doesnt really factor into it.

TCain is brokenly op and not really fun after your first run.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I like TKeeper and TLost a lot. They're extremely hard but still a lot of fun to play with.

The big downside is that every run that gets off the ground is a tragedy. You snowball quick with both characters, but only have 1-2 hits means 90% of your good runs end with "gently caress, I just lost that? I was so OP what a waste"

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I forgot TKeeper! He's a little fragile sometimes but he's broken and hilarious as well. Super fun. Probably right in the middle in terms of difficulty. I take dozens and dozens of hits during TKeeper runs, TLost is just a game I don't find fun or rewarding.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

What's the strat for playing TEve? I can't wrap my head around her yet.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

make friends and don't get hit. Tap fire instead of holding to stop making friends. You don't really need all that many friends but you do need a few at the start due to her god awful natural fire rage.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Relyssa posted:

What's the strat for playing TEve? I can't wrap my head around her yet.

make babies and don’t get hit. it’s a pain in the rear end to get going but once you have a little army and a supply of health you can ball out of control

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Also random tear effects are extremely good, while tear charging items tend to be extremely bad.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
Thanks for the tips! I think I'll alternate between easy/fun and hard/bad characters

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Tainted Jacob is like hitting yourself in the balls with a hammer.

Just have birthright make it so he only damages you instead of kills you or there's no penalty for killing him. Eesh.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I just do greed runs until I unlock Greedier, then do Greedier runs until I have completed it with each character and unlocked the items for that. There are so many characters now that doing this gets you most of the way to 999.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
Very first Tainted Maggy run, decide to do Greedier, and what's in the first treasure room?

Gnawed Leaf!

Let's loving GO!

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Does the hug actually work if they walk into you in statue form?

EDIT: apparently it does. Wild

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Apparently there's a frame-perfect trick to get both items from item option rooms by picking up one of the items at the exact same time as a bomb goes off to blast you into the other item. Seems absurdly difficult and risky but hey if you can spare the health and bomb...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jts4etuQxeE

watho
Aug 2, 2013

rocket jumping is back baybee

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

I've installed a few QoL mods (external item descriptions, boss rush wave counter) but I'm this close to installing a mod that makes the void portal always spawn because I'm losing my goddamn mind

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Mr. Maggy posted:

The easiest way I've found to win as Tainted Cain is to reset until you are able to get a secret room pedestal. This will give you a bone heart you can use to craft Rock Bottom. Then craft kidney stone, which uses pretty common ingredients. The game is now broken and You Win. Anything you craft after that is a matter of personal preference, but make sure you understand how Rock Bottom works. Don't craft Soy Milk/Red Stew, if you want to craft it, until you're done increasing your damage. Don't craft Polyphemus, if you want to craft it, until you're done increasing your tear rate. There is definitely some tension between maximizing damage/tears but you can still easily get both of those stats far, far beyond what any other character would reasonably have. If you plan out what you have on you a little you can fill out the entire post-it (except Greedier) in one run by using R Keys.

I also hated Tainted Cain because I was trying to play fair as him, making like Icicle Babies with BFF or some other silly poo poo. Don't, he is inherently broken as gently caress and doesn't play the same game as the other characters.

I also finally beat Greedier Mode with Tainted Lost, and I had to resort to breaking the game really hard. If you want to skip much of the challenge of Greedier Mode this works with any character. I mostly just found it necessary with T Lost because Ultra Greedier is so loving hard to beat without taking a few hits.

-Reset until the first shop has D-Infinity.
-Wait until a floor has a battery for sale. Hopefully the items you acquire will get you this far, but this is definitely the hardest part of the break. DO NOT pick up the golden treasure room item on this floor.
-Beat the floor and the bosses without picking up the coins that drop. If you accidentally pickup a few its fine but you need some critical mass of coins to get started.
-Use the d20 to reroll the coins. Open any chests you see. Check cards and use any that drop pickups. Pick up any nickels or dimes. If you see a golden key take it. Try to watch out for mimic chests and troll bombs. If you're unlucky enough to get a golden troll bomb sucks for you.
-Go to the shop and buy a battery (unless you rolled into one) and recharge your d20. Repeat the above step until you get a 2 of diamonds.
-Take the 2 of diamonds into an item room, where it is the only pickup, and use the D1 to copy it. Recharge your battery at the shop until you have a lot of 2 of Diamonds. You now have infinite money as you can repeat this process whenever you want.
-Start buying stuff in this shop. DO NOT buy the car battery but most other items are fine. Active items are great to buy because you want to get a bunch of pedestals you can reroll. You're really looking for the Spindown Die. Also Deep Pockets, because it makes things go faster.
-Use the D6 to reroll the treasure room item until it is an active item. This lets you leave a D-Infinity or Spindown in there while you take the other to the shop. Now you have infinite money, rerolls and spindowns and you can get any and all items in the game. This includes items that are not normally obtainable such as C-Section and Redemption, or just rare secret room items like Greed's Gullet or Eye of Greed.
If you're doing this as TLost I would recommend acquiring several copies of Birthright/Inner Child to act as makeshift hitpoints, as well as Pyromaniac so you don't randomly run into a fire or blow yourself up when your tears are so big you can't see what's going on.

Lets Pickle fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 17, 2021

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Words of advice for Tainted Jacob:

1) It's most important to know where Tainted Jacob is at any time. It's better to take red heart damage than to let him hit you.
2) Use lost form to get free devil room deals.
3) You need flight. There are some rooms that will just straight kill you in caves if you don't have it.
4) Avoid homing attacks and auto attacks. You want to have control at all times over where your shots are going.
5) If you turn into the lost, kill Tainted Jacob before continuing. There's no benefit to having him continue to hound your rear end.
6) Anima sola is an INCREDIBLY powerful weapon once Tainted Jacob is dead. Use it accordingly.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021

Pigbuster posted:

Apparently there's a frame-perfect trick to get both items from item option rooms by picking up one of the items at the exact same time as a bomb goes off to blast you into the other item. Seems absurdly difficult and risky but hey if you can spare the health and bomb...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jts4etuQxeE

Time to practice this until my eyes bleed

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/1405590843252084736?s=20

Relyssa fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 17, 2021

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

that rules

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Hey that's pretty cool of you, Ed

watho
Aug 2, 2013

oh hell yeah

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Had an absolutely amazing Cain run that was shaping up to finally be a Beast clear, then warped to an Error room with no exit except the hole to Womb :suicide:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This is loving awesome

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

GrandmaParty posted:

Words of advice for Tainted Jacob:

1) It's most important to know where Tainted Jacob is at any time. It's better to take red heart damage than to let him hit you.
2) Use lost form to get free devil room deals.
3) You need flight. There are some rooms that will just straight kill you in caves if you don't have it.
4) Avoid homing attacks and auto attacks. You want to have control at all times over where your shots are going.
5) If you turn into the lost, kill Tainted Jacob before continuing. There's no benefit to having him continue to hound your rear end.
6) Anima sola is an INCREDIBLY powerful weapon once Tainted Jacob is dead. Use it accordingly.
Another important thing to remember is that Tainted Esau is a very powerful weapon. Early on, he can really speed up boss battles.

To attack with him, use Anima Sola. Position yourself so that you, Esau, and your target are all lined up. Then, release Anima Sola. Esau will immediately charge at you, dealing damage to any enemies in his path. Don't forget to dodge out of his way.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I was watching my friend play a challenge and he had the most Binding of Isaac moment ever

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/845634446551810058/855275432025784330/Dingled.mov

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I was watching my friend play a challenge and he had the most Binding of Isaac moment ever

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/845634446551810058/855275432025784330/Dingled.mov

lmao

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Araxxor posted:

Here's the easy peasy method.

Thanks, I've been avoiding tainted cain because he's a bit of a chore to play, but this let me knock out all his unlocks in a couple of runs.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Just discovered (re-discovered?) that the Emperor card takes you to the second boss on an XL floor. Unfortunately, this was in Necropolis XL. Oops.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

They still haven't fixed the Reverse Emperor softlock if you get Mom for a boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Can confirm that Shard of Glass is a really good item to pick up if you know how it works and what you're doing. Probably still incredibly terrible to have it randomly thrust upon you from rerolling or what have you, though.

Also, Stairway is really loving good when you're doing a Home run, provided you have enough money.