Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
God bless this PLD for spamming Intervention on my pre-70 DRK rear end.

God bless all you PLDs who do this Intervention thing on CD.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

I know it'd be OP but I wish when the Roulette de-leveled you it just scaled the damage/power of your abilities and didn't limit which you could use. It makes those early ones tedious on some classes and it isn't like you can't already sleep walk through them. I think it would also help reduce the number of high level people getting all pissy when they end up on the low end.

A major problem there is that it would unfairly punish low level tanks who already have trouble keeping aggro and would suddenly have to deal with (even reduced power) Flare spamming.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Yeah, high level abilities can only scale down so far, and simply having more buttons to push in lower level dungeons would put you head and shoulders over actual newbies even when they're playing correctly (such as it is when you have like 2 buttons, anyway).

Also the devs seem kind of terrified that allowing high level powers to remain while synced would lead to parties kicking actual newbie DPS in hopes of snagging a high level DPS that is queued for DF in progress.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

FuzzySlippers posted:

I know it'd be OP but I wish when the Roulette de-leveled you it just scaled the damage/power of your abilities and didn't limit which you could use. It makes those early ones tedious on some classes and it isn't like you can't already sleep walk through them. I think it would also help reduce the number of high level people getting all pissy when they end up on the low end.

It's for the benefit of sprouts (and for you, who should be nice to your sprouts). You do not actually want your lv18 gladiator tank to have to hold aggro against your kaiten'd midare setsugekkas.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

God bless this PLD for spamming Intervention on my pre-70 DRK rear end.

God bless all you PLDs who do this Intervention thing on CD.

Which one is intervention again

this is a self-deprecating joke about my paladin skills, but also completely serious

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
1a) dps classes probably do like twice as much potency per second at high levels than they do at low levels

1b) this would just lead to people getting really really bitter at newbies who ended up in their parties, which is bad

1c) benediction lol

KoB
May 1, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

this is a self-deprecating joke about my paladin skills, but also completely serious

the less good use of your oath gauge.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I'm the sprout tank who has already had the experience a number of times of running behind impatient high level players nuking everything while I frantically try to get some aggro. The issue is I hate getting impatient annoyed high level players in the queue and anything that might make people less grumpy when they end up in a low dungeon seems a plus to me. (my highest are 55 WHM and 51 DRK) Obviously I don't have experience with whatever world ending powers you get in SB.

This game does a pretty good job of incentivizing good behaviour as it is but I get why some people get annoyed when they end up in Copperbell for the 1000th time and also get to go back to pushing two buttons and have to fiddle with their bars.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
yeah, just on a potency-by-potency level i'm not sure how a sprout satasha tank would ever be able to pull off a RDM going ham with fleche single-target, or a quadflare BLM in a trash pull (admittedly the latter problem would solve itself in a few more GCDs)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Flatten out the potency on all the combo enders and gauge spenders so you do just as much damage as a dragoon mashing impulse drive no matter what button you press

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
1a) if you normalize potency by theoretical maximum potency/second, satasha becomes even more of a hellscape because the vast majority of level capped players don't come anywhere near their theoretical potency/second rotation in leveling dungeons. like the level 70 casual bard who's not using songs effectively is all of a sudden shooting for like 4 damage, since they're being downscaled by a value calculated based on a bard who is using songs.

1b) you'd have to maintain some kind of ridiculous lookup table for all level scalings, since not everyone is being scaled down for 70. what about a level 58 drk who ends up in satasha?

1c) benediction lol

1d) classes without aoe moves at the dungeon level cap lol

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

AST might as well have Benediction on a 40 second cooldown at low levels. Plus, it's not like Scholars actually have to spend GCDs to heal below Brayflox so I don't think Benediction would be broken. All your other points are totally true, though.

It would be far easier to just rearrange the order you get abilities. One thing I've seen suggested before is that you get every ability from your class by level 30 at the latest. That would at least solve the problem of some classes not getting any AOE before Darkhold.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Reiterpallasch posted:

yeah, just on a potency-by-potency level i'm not sure how a sprout satasha tank would ever be able to pull off a RDM going ham with fleche single-target, or a quadflare BLM in a trash pull (admittedly the latter problem would solve itself in a few more GCDs)

When I was first learning to tank I got a DR with two fire II-spamming black mages who yelled at me for not being able to hold aggro on trash packs. It would be so much worse for sprouts if you let BLMs have their full kit

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
yeah level syncing sucks and i totally understand why people are willing to do anything avoid impulse drive hell after clawing their way out once.

but the basic problem is just that this is not a very fun game at lower levels, and the stormblood reallocation of moves is a huge reason why. hopefully the dev team will make the low level experience more fun at some point, but i don't even really know how to fix it. something has to be done; i just don't think this is the right solution.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Final Fantasy XIV:Cataclysm (for your spellbook)

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Final Fantasy XIV:Cataclysm (for your spellbook)

I'm telling you, if the dev team is smart, that's what they're doing with the next expansion, same as WoW.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I'm telling you, if the dev team is smart, that's what they're doing with the next expansion, same as WoW.
Any chance of blowback? I mean, that's what ARR already was.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I don't share the same view. Coming from a work background of semiconductor manufacturing, and knowing what I know about product development in general, ARR was a miracle in terms of turning an unshippable mess into a product worth paying for.

To extend the analogy, every patch and expansion they've come out with thus far have been refinements, grinding off the sharp parts after manufacturing, optimizing what process they have.

Stated another way, marketing would call this the "Pro" or "Plus" version of the original.

A real Cataclysm-like overhaul of FFXIV, would be more akin to Version 2, that's now 20% lighter, new material, easier installation, etc. Getting down into the guts of the game and ripping out the underlying systems that have been holding things back. Redoing the entire inventory system, how objects are stored, for example. Giving us a glamour log built from the ground-up, instead of.... well, we'll see what they have planned in a few weeks. Separating SCH and SMN from level 1, and resolving the entire class/job divide for good.

You know. That sort of thing.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 10, 2018

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Ainsley McTree posted:

it's your ghost shield ability. it's useful as gently caress for any tank taking a tankbuster, ahk morns, or splitting damage. on shinEx runs we use invulns for the first two ahk morns and stack properly on the third. I'll hit sentinel, rampart, intervention (I have a macro that targets the other tank), and shelltron and even if my dark knight or warrior compatriot uses zero cooldowns we're basically set with minimal healing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Also I think I'm in the minority here, but I really don't like the shinryu ex fight. It's by far my least favorite ex primal and the one that's driven me most nuts to farm.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Shinryu EX is not a great fight. The dance isn't very fun or interesting and it's the least visually exciting primal since Bismark. Also the music sucks.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

WrightOfWay posted:

Also the music sucks.

I sincerely hope you aren't talking poo poo about The Worm's Tail. :colbert:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Even though I haven't cleared it ShinEx is one of my favourite primal fights. I love both pieces of music.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

WrightOfWay posted:

Also the music sucks.

:eyepop:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Every time I end up in Coil, I lament that nobody does it anymore. I wish there was a way for them to revamp it into something more pug friendly. It's got some of the coolest stuff and interesting lore, but good luck getting to enjoy it. At this point you're just having a /sit while a bunch of 70s steamroll everything but Nael. And also a bunch of cutscenes. It's Meridianum but with better music and no roulette to force people into it.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
How long would it take for an absolute newbie to be able to afford the cheapest housing? Does the game have an equivalent to WoW Tokens (which you can buy with real money and sell for gold in the auction house)?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

How long would it take for an absolute newbie to be able to afford the cheapest housing? Does the game have an equivalent to WoW Tokens (which you can buy with real money and sell for gold in the auction house)?

Not long at all. The cheapest housing is either a FC room or an apartment which is 300,000 or 500,000 gil, which is pretty trivial to get by the time you can actually get a house. The hard part is finding an open apartment if you're on a busy server, but that is what FC houses are for.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I finished the Vault.

And I had to close the game immediately after.

:(

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I earned about a million gil this month presumably from doing the 35-55 MSQ but I wasn't really paying attention. Didn't do anything to earn money like AH stuff and I was pretty lazy with teleports (I'll jump around even in the same zone). My server definitely doesn't have any house plots tho. Not sure there's even apartments (Excalibur).

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Okay, I'll read up. I would like to shoot for an actual house, but on Tonberry all plots have been taken iirc, so that would probably be a long-term goal. I guess I'll be happy just to have a room to myself that I could decorate.

Is it hard to earn gil without actively doing professions?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Schneider Heim posted:

Okay, I'll read up. I would like to shoot for an actual house, but on Tonberry all plots have been taken iirc, so that would probably be a long-term goal. I guess I'll be happy just to have a room to myself that I could decorate.

Is it hard to earn gil without actively doing professions?

My professions haven't made me any money and i have over 20 mil thanks to retainers. Yes I pay for a couple more retainers each month, but the 4 of them bring me enough stuff off quick explorations that I end up making quite a bit of gil. Granted, 20 mil isn't poo poo to some people, but its enough that if i'm lucky enough to find a house for sale I could buy it.

You get 2 retainers for free and i'd keep them running almost full time if possible. If you end up having a day you play a lot, have them run quick explorations and check them every hour, then when you are done and won't be on for awhile, have them run field explorations (I still stick with quick because I know i'll be on again way sooner than the 16 hours it takes to do a field explore). Sell like everything you find and don't use or plan on using, do your dailies, especially LLDR for the cracked cluster because you can sell the materia if gets you if you don't plan on using it, do your wondrous tail every week, etc. Also, if you don't have professions but want to try your hand at market manipulation, there are many things you can buy from vendors that you can then sell on the MB to people that don't know any better. I'm sometimes amazed at the poo poo I see sell that I know sells at certain vendors, even vendors that are sometimes right next to the MB.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
When I ran Coils, I had to skip all of the cutscenes because the party I was doing it with didn't want to wait for me, and now most of them unrelated to the trial aren't in the Unending Journey. :smith:

A smile better suits a hero.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

TFRazorsaw posted:

I finished the Vault.

A smile better suits a hero. :unsmith:

e: gently caress

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Shinryu is a really great regular fight but the EX version is deterministic in all the same ways all the other EX/Savage fights are and for whatever reason it really ruins the Shinryu dynamic much more than it damages the other EX/Svg fights.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

When I ran Coils, I had to skip all of the cutscenes because the party I was doing it with didn't want to wait for me, and now most of them unrelated to the trial aren't in the Unending Journey. :smith:
Running noobies through Coil and not letting them watch cutscenes is just stupid. Tell your friends/party that they're dumb.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

TFRazorsaw posted:

I finished the Vault.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Kenend5iHE

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Martman posted:

Running noobies through Coil and not letting them watch cutscenes is just stupid. Tell your friends/party that they're dumb.

What's the point of running a newbie through Coil if you're not even going to let them watch cutscenes? :psyduck:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The eternal answer: Tomes.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

TFRazorsaw posted:

I finished the Vault.

Come now, a smile better suits a hero.

e;fb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

TFRazorsaw posted:

I finished the Vault.

For extra :( and after you have done HW and most of post-HW quests, don't forget to do the sidequest chain starting with the quest The Paths We Walk in Fortemps Manor.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jan 10, 2018