Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

In Firewatch at one point you come across a place called Pork Pond and your character notes there's no signpost for it like the rest of the park. Your supervisor says due to the name signs kept getting stolen so they don't bother putting them up anymore.

End game spoiler: In Delilah's office at the end of the game I spotted a sign for Pork Pond over her desk

Firewatch was really good and sad :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Biplane posted:

Firewatch was really good and sad :(

It's my "being thirty+" simulation. poo poo didn't really hit me till I got to a certain point in life, then the gravity of the whole thing just suddenly found weight.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm not sure quite if this counts, but playing Hitman 2, I hit the very clear ending and was extremely happy with the game in general, the story left off with a major cliffhanger, and it felt like a good length but still left me craving more.

Afterwards, an unexpected next mission prompt shows up featuring the beach level that acted as a tutorial at the beginning of the game.

At that point I realized what I had just finished was the legacy missions, or in other words, Hitman 1. I hadn't even STARTED Hitman 2 yet and I'm extremely excited to

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

It's my "being thirty+" simulation. poo poo didn't really hit me till I got to a certain point in life, then the gravity of the whole thing just suddenly found weight.

drat that is exactly it.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

JPrime posted:

:corsair: is what you're after

I think I called a NES hint line to try and figure out how to get past King Hippo or something as a kid.

Valid, although I think we can all agree there should be an :old:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
In Kenshi, if you leveled your stealth skill enough you do the Naruto run while using stealth.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
This almost feels like it shouldn't be a 'favorite little thing', but it is.One of the highlights of the Smash Bros Ultimate soundtrack is that they finally brought back the tracks for Smash 64's three single-player-only fights: Metal Mario, the Fighting Polygon Team, and Master Hand. That music was great, but skipped three goddamn Smash games and I'd started to give up hope!

The real highlight of them is the Fighting Polygon Team's, because that song's been drifting in and out of my head for twenty goddamn years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oayLpIznp4w

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
THe game itself is fairly bland design-wise (not bad, but the game is basically reskinned Spyro in many ways), but Muppet Monster Adventure has a rad sountrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vYH-KqbiEo

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I've seen people talking about RPGs where an enemy has a couple of levels over you means you won't do jack poo poo to them, and Original Sin 2 surprised me on that front. I escaped from the concentration camp in the beginning and met with the contact that would further my main character(The Elf) quest. He is a total dick, as all undead are, and you have a Persuasion check against him, which I promptly failed because I have been focusing more on the murdering side of the game. Turns out he was as powerful as he was bragging, having almost 400HP plus physical and magical armors while my beefiest character is around 130HP, and even the game tells you that fleeing might be a good idea; but, surprisingly, they weren't assholes about it. Your attacks don't miss every time and you don't only hit 1. In fact, you hit and hurt him just as well as the previous enemies that were around your level, and he even is susceptible to the debuffs I was using - minus the ones that obviously won't work, such as bleeding - which, coupled with the fact that it was a 4 against 1 fight, turned it into a bit of challenge but still doable.

Then I ate his black, shriveled heart.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I've been doing a deep dive on city management games and recently started playing ANNO 1404 or Dawn of Discovery as it's inexplicably known in NA.

I could gush about this game for pages, everything from the complex yet forgiving management elements to the thematically appropriate trade routing mechanic to the masterful art direction that still looks gorgeous a full decade after release, but after binging so many older game in its genre I found one particular element that really warms my heart.

The whole feel of the campaign, from the mission structure, to the NPC character design, to the writing and voice acting perfectly apes the late 90s early 2000s style. The talking heads and straightforward character archetypes and light-hearted tone are reminiscent of games like Stronghold, Zeus, and Warcraft 3 and would have fit in perfectly back in 2001. There's clearly a lot of influence from that era of RTS/Management sim that was all but gone in 2009 when ANNO was released.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Riatsala posted:

I've been doing a deep dive on city management games and recently started playing ANNO 1404 or Dawn of Discovery as it's inexplicably known in NA.

I could gush about this game for pages, everything from the complex yet forgiving management elements to the thematically appropriate trade routing mechanic to the masterful art direction that still looks gorgeous a full decade after release, but after binging so many older game in its genre I found one particular element that really warms my heart.

Yeah, I really feel like Anno 1404 really nailed everything right. Even with some nice QoL improvements in Anno 2070 I keep finding myself going back to 1404.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Are any ANNO games, or games like that available on the PS4? They seem like the sort of game my dad would play every day for like a year.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Cleretic posted:

Are any ANNO games, or games like that available on the PS4? They seem like the sort of game my dad would play every day for like a year.

I think the closest thing is Tropico or Cities Skylines for PS4. Or you could probably buy him a cheap laptop that could run it, the game is like 10 years old

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/zb_yuhudaddy/status/1084738686875447297

So that's pretty neat.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
That's neat, but couldn't the hylian shield do all of them?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Omae wa mou shindeiru...

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
My favorite thing about Red Dead Redemption 2 by far is that through the limited character creator options, you can dress up exactly like Lemmy Kilmeister.

https://www.reddit.com/r/reddeadredemption2/comments/9tipwa/lemmy/

Check that picture out. It's awesome to see in motion in-game too, and easily done. I was running around with an Indiana Jones-inspired getup before I found that hat in-game, and then went checked to see if anyone else noticed it.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Olaf The Stout posted:

My favorite thing about Red Dead Redemption 2 by far is that through the limited character creator options, you can dress up exactly like Lemmy Kilmeister.

https://www.reddit.com/r/reddeadredemption2/comments/9tipwa/lemmy/

Check that picture out. It's awesome to see in motion in-game too, and easily done. I was running around with an Indiana Jones-inspired getup before I found that hat in-game, and then went checked to see if anyone else noticed it.

Amazing. LEMMAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY!!!! :byodood:

New RE2 has a ton of amazing things in it but one random little thing that I noticed is Claire’s fanny pack on her retro costume has its own little wobble to it and it’s oddly adorable. :3:

Leon as a sheriff also looks like a complete dork, which is appropriate.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Queen Combat posted:

That's neat, but couldn't the hylian shield do all of them?

I'm sure it could but I think there's a bit of a delay to all of them firing so the menu swapping is to keep the parry window going for longer.

I don't have or play the game though so I don't know for sure if that's correct or not.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

RareAcumen posted:

I'm sure it could but I think there's a bit of a delay to all of them firing so the menu swapping is to keep the parry window going for longer.

I don't have or play the game though so I don't know for sure if that's correct or not.

Yup, the menu swap allows him to glitch the parry window into ignoring the animation and instantly perfect parry again.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

In Super Smash Brothers Ultimate there are Spirits, which are pictures of characters and objects from various games which you can equip to boost your stats or give you special abilities. You can dismiss a spirit to gain its core, and you can use cores to summon certain spirits. Some summons have generic core requirements like "a support core" or "two neutral type cores" but they all require at least one specific spirit. I quite enjoy looking at these "recipes" and piecing together the logic behind them.

Sakura Samurai (from Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword) + Ghosts (Pac-Man series) = The Wandering Samurai (Rhythm Heaven series)

Blooper (Super Mario series) + Meloetta (Aria Forme) (Pokemon series) + Ouendan Cheerleaders (Ouendan series) = Squid Sisters (Splatoon series)

Fire Man (Mega Man series) + Great Tiger (Punch-Out! series) = Dhalsim (Street Fighter series)

Porygon (Pokemon series) + Commander (X) = Andross (Star Fox series)

Cut Man (Mega Man series) + Cardboard Box (Metal Gear Solid series) = Paper Mario (Paper Mario series)

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar
Fire man and great tiger should have given you the hero from Black Tiger who as I recall could throw flaming darts :colbert:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Ariong posted:

Cut Man (Mega Man series) + Cardboard Box (Metal Gear Solid series) = Paper Mario (Paper Mario series)

Lol, this one especially is good.

I’ve been meaning to make a post for a while about how clever SSBU gets with its homages to the series the fighters come from, you can tell the people who made them loved the games they came from. I especially like some of the gimmicks for the different characters’ Classic Modes. Like Solid Snake’s is called “Weapons and Equipment OSP” and has him battling a bunch of weapon-focused fighters and has more weapon items drop, or Chrom’s, where he fights alongside one of the other two Awakening characters against two other paired fighters (Diddy and Donkey Kong, Peach and Daisy, etc) as a take on the support system in Awakening. It’s really cool.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

BioEnchanted posted:

I've only just realised why the Orre region in Pokemon Colosseum is called that - all the towns are named after minerals - Phenakite, Pyrite and Agate. I never put it together before.

Also I love how the colosseums become more and more run down as they get harder:

First the idyllic water town, Phenac:

Then the barely held together skeleton of Pyrite's shanty stadium:

And finally the run down shithole that is the Under, which is so low brow the spectators cannot be trusted, and must view through cage windows:(edited)

It's a cool progression, with each getting progressively harder as it's citizens do.
While it's from over a month back, one of my favorite little things about Pokemon Colosseum is that nearly every major event flag results in almost every noteworthy NPC having something different to say when you go talk to them.

Though that was one of my least favorite things to backtrack for in my old LP.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Lol, this one especially is good.

I’ve been meaning to make a post for a while about how clever SSBU gets with its homages to the series the fighters come from, you can tell the people who made them loved the games they came from. I especially like some of the gimmicks for the different characters’ Classic Modes. Like Solid Snake’s is called “Weapons and Equipment OSP” and has him battling a bunch of weapon-focused fighters and has more weapon items drop, or Chrom’s, where he fights alongside one of the other two Awakening characters against two other paired fighters (Diddy and Donkey Kong, Peach and Daisy, etc) as a take on the support system in Awakening. It’s really cool.

My favourite is Wii fit trainer fighting increasingly obese enemies culminating in a giant jigglypuff, it's so horrible it's great

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Smash Ultimate just now introduced Piranha Plant.

There's a bunch of cute little references to subtypes of Piranha Plants in his moves (my favorite is definitely turning into a Paper Mario enemy for his side special), but my absolute favorite thing they did was for his Palutena's Guidance, which is basically a codec call on an enemy.

https://twitter.com/TristanACooper/status/1090429461517029376

My two favorite things about this little thing itself:

1. It includes Super Mario RPG enemies. In fact, it includes enemies from literally every Mario RPG, among plenty of other games.

2. The subtypes that Piranha Plant's moveset is derived from are front-loaded in that little rant, so Viridi actually did, technically, provide useful information.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
That would have been cute if it didn't have the "nails-on-chalkboard" anime voice.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

After all this RE2 hype I decided to finally finish Resident Evil 1 (PSOne), having given up on it in the 90s because it scared the crap out of me. Man the level design of the Spencer Mansion is really solid - you can really tell how much thought they put into mapping it out

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

My first experience with Resident Evil was the launch of the original title on a new PSX...with no memory card. Needless to say, I didn't beat it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Playing kingdom hearts 3 and I have followed absolutely nothing about it. Those new special moves tied to triangle are whimsical and fantastic.

I just killed a Titan using a car from the Buzz Lightyear ride and the train from goddamn train from Big Thunder Mountain

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've been playing the phone game Flow and it's been really interesting. I especially like the penultimate level group, the Party Pack, because it combines all the gimmicks in different ways, like this one that combines bridges, walls and warps:

And the completed map:

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3MCb4W7-kM&t=4530s

So they used deepmind technology to teach a program how to play starcraft 2. From what I've gathered, they fed in 10's of thousands of replays of games from battlenet across all skill bandwidths and made the ai simulate them, then created dozens of slightly different versions of this starcraft-playing system. Then they simulated 200 years of matches, and took the reigning champion from that period and made them play starcraft 2 pros. This is a pretty simple explanation for a very complicated things.

It can only play protoss vs protoss on one specific map. It uses a virtual keyboard and mouse and therefore must enter its commands the same way a human player would, especially in regards to the minimap, and is hardcapped to 150 actions per minute. In this video it sweeps 2 separate professional starcraft 2 players, 0-5 each.

You guys it's so alien. It constructs its bases in ways that look like a termite colony. The rather standard early game meta for starcraft is 16 probes to a mining base, and about 50 for your 200 supply lategame. It makes 24 probes per base and latgame has 80, something no other pro has ever gone close to doing.

Lategame pros will kill off a bunch of excess workers and make strong units during it's final push. This AI instead kills off any injured member of its own offensive army, and then kills off any surviving low-tech units, something no other pro does.

Its control of its units is so exquisite that it takes units that are normally countered by others, and flips the counter back, hard, just through superior precision positioning during combat.

This exhibition match will literally change the current starcraft 2 meta. The later matches the pros were already trying to copy the AI just during this little exhibition to try and keep up. In the majority of the matches the human players never even make it halfway across the map.

Olaf The Stout has a new favorite as of 08:58 on Feb 1, 2019

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Olaf The Stout posted:

It uses a virtual keyboard and mouse and therefore must enter its commands the same way a human player would, especially in regards to the minimap, and is hardcapped to 150 actions per minute. In this video it sweeps 2 separate professional starcraft 2 players, 0-5 each.

That part isn't true. It spiked up to 1000apm and was entering commands that it would be literally impossible to do with mouse+keyboard.

And for most of the matches it could see the whole map at once (fog of war still present, but it didn't have to scroll around). That capability was turned off for the match it lost.

Qwertycoatl has a new favorite as of 09:50 on Feb 1, 2019

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The AI also really, really hates rocks. Which means it’ll have a bright future in our offworld deep mining colonies!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

RDR2 Epilogue Spoiler:

I really love how when John takes over from Arthur he keeps using his notebook - except John is a terrible artist and all his sketches are complete dogshit. Also the fact that there are two different sketches for nearly everything in the game is pretty amazing

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Olaf The Stout posted:

So they used deepmind technology to teach a program how to play starcraft 2. From what I've gathered, they fed in 10's of thousands of replays of games from battlenet across all skill bandwidths and made the ai simulate them, then created dozens of slightly different versions of this starcraft-playing system. Then they simulated 200 years of matches, and took the reigning champion from that period and made them play starcraft 2 pros. This is a pretty simple explanation for a very complicated things.

It can only play protoss vs protoss on one specific map. It uses a virtual keyboard and mouse and therefore must enter its commands the same way a human player would, especially in regards to the minimap, and is hardcapped to 150 actions per minute. In this video it sweeps 2 separate professional starcraft 2 players, 0-5 each.

You guys it's so alien. It constructs its bases in ways that look like a termite colony. The rather standard early game meta for starcraft is 16 probes to a mining base, and about 50 for your 200 supply lategame. It makes 24 probes per base and latgame has 80, something no other pro has ever gone close to doing.

Lategame pros will kill off a bunch of excess workers and make strong units during it's final push. This AI instead kills off any injured member of its own offensive army, and then kills off any surviving low-tech units, something no other pro does.

Its control of its units is so exquisite that it takes units that are normally countered by others, and flips the counter back, hard, just through superior precision positioning during combat.

This exhibition match will literally change the current starcraft 2 meta. The later matches the pros were already trying to copy the AI just during this little exhibition to try and keep up. In the majority of the matches the human players never even make it halfway across the map.

Mierenneuker posted:

The AI also really, really hates rocks. Which means it’ll have a bright future in our offworld deep mining colonies!

Something similar happened when a 1970s era AI system called Eurisko was entered into the "Traveller Trillion Credit Squadron" tournament back in 1981 + 1982.
Spoiler alert: Eurisko won both times, with tactics no-one had ever used, and was banned from ever entering the tournament again.

the brief summary:
https://www.therpgsite.com/showthread.php?14095-Strategy-amp-Unusual-tactics-quot-TRAVELLER-quot-Trillion-Credit-Squadron

the extended version(very long article so just search for the term "Eurisko" in it )
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2009/05/11/how-david-beats-goliath

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

"Why won't this fuckin zombie stay dead!"

An actual thought I had while playing Resident Evil 2 remake.

I'm really enjoying how they've changed the difficulty of the normal zombies, it keeps catching me off guard.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Something similar happened when a 1970s era AI system called Eurisko was entered into the "Traveller Trillion Credit Squadron" tournament back in 1981 + 1982.
Spoiler alert: Eurisko won both times, with tactics no-one had ever used, and was banned from ever entering the tournament again.

the brief summary:
https://www.therpgsite.com/showthread.php?14095-Strategy-amp-Unusual-tactics-quot-TRAVELLER-quot-Trillion-Credit-Squadron

the extended version(very long article so just search for the term "Eurisko" in it )
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2009/05/11/how-david-beats-goliath

"Build ten billion piece of poo poo boats" would have been my strategy there too tbh

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

RBA Starblade posted:

"Build ten billion piece of poo poo boats" would have been my strategy there too tbh

It's basically the goonswarm tactic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Piell posted:

It's basically the goonswarm tactic

I only played EVE for five minutes before I decided it sucked, but I gotta say the video of a shitload of small ships killing that 1000+ dollar mega capital ship was really something.