Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

Every support main can relate to that feeling when the first minion wave crashes at level 1 and your ADC somehow gets poked down to 10% health and has to blow both summoner spells to survive. It's 9 seconds in, and you have nothing to look forward to except watching your ADC wimper through 2-3 CS per wave under tower as you frequently back and try to trade pocket lint for pieces of a sightstone.

No other role has that. It sucks to be an ADC with a bad support, but being a support with a bad ADC is on a whole different level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
See I think people don't want to play support because it is support. Literally, the name pretty much means second banana. Who the hell plays video games wanting to be Robin?

Seriously, it's different than jungle. You don't get to shoot the creeps. You basically float around letting your teammates see things so they can kill people and towers and win.

I understand why, in something that is somewhat escapist power fantasy for a lot of players, that being Commissioner Gordon and turning in the Bat Signal as your job does not appeal to people.

But more over, it is just the odd role. Every other role is single. One on one, with some occasional roaming/ganking teamwork. Only bot lane for some reason has two (I know, dragon control, etc.). But is there any reason the game has to be five player instead of four?

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

SlyFrog posted:

See I think people don't want to play support because it is support. Literally, the name pretty much means second banana. Who the hell plays video games wanting to be Robin?

Seriously, it's different than jungle. You don't get to shoot the creeps. You basically float around letting your teammates see things so they can kill people and towers and win.

I understand why, in something that is somewhat escapist power fantasy for a lot of players, that being Commissioner Gordon and turning in the Bat Signal as your job does not appeal to people.

But more over, it is just the odd role. Every other role is single. One on one, with some occasional roaming/ganking teamwork. Only bot lane for some reason has two (I know, dragon control, etc.). But is there any reason the game has to be five player instead of four?

You could probably have the support and mid duo, or the support and top duo and it really wouldn't change anything for the majority of the playerbase (gold and below). Dragon control is a laughable concept.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I don't think people necessarily hate being utility, but nobody likes babysitting for the first fifteen minutes of a 30-40 minute match. In a game where most of the frustration comes from "my loving team...", being completely responsible for another player getting stronger so they can get kills is really unappealing.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I don't think people necessarily hate being utility, but nobody likes babysitting for the first fifteen minutes of a 30-40 minute match. In a game where most of the frustration comes from "my loving team...", being completely responsible for another player getting stronger so they can get kills is really unappealing.

This. If you're in a solo lane or jungle, you can pretend that your laning/ganking is all you. But bot lane has to rely upon their teammates from the very beginning. If mid lane ints, top can still play league for a few minutes before the fed enemy mid arrives, but if the support ints*, ADC doesn't have that luxury.

* Pros legitimately tried to make support CJ Ivern work when Ivern was new, and it didn't stick. And support CJ Nunu is worse than support CJ Ivern.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Ya I think support is only really rewarding if you are in high elo at least diamond because your team has an idea of how to carry if u get them there in the laning phase or by roaming as support.

I generally just avoid botlane despite being decent in support and ad because I feel like its unplayable if the other person isn't on the same page. Atleast jungle or midlane you can just go full agro and won't be punished unless its a premade jungler + sololaner.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

iSurrender posted:

Someone realized yesterday that 1/2/3/4/5 points in the mana regen mastery gave you 2.5%/5%/7.5%/1%/1.25% of your missing mana back. Oops. Now hotfixed.

Wonder how many people knew about this because that feels like it'd be an autowin on a lot of champs if you had it and they didn't, like punish the players who were using it level of unfair abuse.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

ArbitraryC posted:

Wonder how many people knew about this because that feels like it'd be an autowin on a lot of champs if you had it and they didn't, like punish the players who were using it level of unfair abuse.

It's all skill

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!
Serious suggestion: swap the gold amount given for kills vs assists.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

iSurrender posted:

Serious suggestion: swap the gold amount given for kills vs assists.

I want this to happen just to see how hilarious it is when all five players walk away from a sure kill because they don't want to get the last hit.

Who am I kidding, people want to be the bringer of death - their power fantasy will overcome the in-game advantage of having more gold.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Just make all people involved in the kill get the same amount of gold, and possibly also combine kills+assists into one number like Overwatch.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

so was that meditation (i think this is what the mana regen talent is called) bug always like that or did they break it recently?

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Why is it that teams are so allergic to taking baron when I'm Illaoi and I'm 1v3'ing in bot lane

It's The Best Thing On The Map... just go take it you bozos

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005

Radical posted:

so was that meditation (i think this is what the mana regen talent is called) bug always like that or did they break it recently?

I have zero evidence for this but my guess would be that it's been broken forever and just gone unnoticed because why would you not go 0 or 5 there except for when levelling an account.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005

Teikanmi posted:

Why is it that teams are so allergic to taking baron when I'm Illaoi and I'm 1v3'ing in bot lane

It's The Best Thing On The Map... just go take it you bozos

Dunno what MMR you're at but a lot of people think you have to win a team fight before taking an objective.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

taking 1 point meditation has been a really common strategy for a long time is why i ask. there was a reddit post that was a translation of a bunch of stuff apdo said about the current patch and his reasoning was that you're getting a stat you would otherwise have 0 of (spellvamp talent, mana regen talent) which is a much larger increase than dealing 1% more damage or whatever, which is just another small amount.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Really tempted to play support nunu right now.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I miss the time before everyone had a dash and before nunu's slow nerfs, where if you caught an enemy in the river you'd chain permaslow them by 80% and if their allies didn't come save him he'd die by attrition

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
otoh dashes own and make champions worth playing

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

dashes suck, but 99% slows are insanely good. sure. sure.

Junji Eat More
Oct 22, 2005

You don't know it, but you are full of stahs
Slow and steady wins the race. If I can't get there at 325 movespeed, I don't want to get there.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

dashes suck, but 99% slows are insanely good. sure. sure.

It's possible to believe dashes in general are good but still be nostalgic for when the game was in such a state that the yeti baby could glue the titty pirate to the river and wait for her to die of starvation

Orv
May 4, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

It's possible to believe dashes in general are good but still be nostalgic for when the game was in such a state that the yeti baby could glue the titty pirate to the river and wait for her to die of starvation

Sadly too long for a thread title.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
As with anything else, dashes aren't inherently toxic, but they've gotten overexposed.

I think slows interacting with dashes in some way would go a long way towards curbing the mobility creep. It's silly that root/hard CC is the only way to interact with zwee fighting skills.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

JerryLee posted:

As with anything else, dashes aren't inherently toxic, but they've gotten overexposed.

I think slows interacting with dashes in some way would go a long way towards curbing the mobility creep. It's silly that root/hard CC is the only way to interact with zwee fighting skills.

so do you think slows should work on flash then

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

rabidsquid posted:

I don't know about flash specifically, since it's a summoner ability on a long cooldown and when most people think of the mobility creep meta they think of someone pole vaulting over terrain every 10 seconds like it's the Wide World of Sports.

vvv Okay, fair enough, but three champions out of 120+ having abilities to counter it still isn't really great. Slows of varying strengths and mechanics are already all over the cast and on a few items as well, so it'd give a much bigger toolbox.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 5, 2017

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

JerryLee posted:

Cass W, Poppy W, and Taliyah E exist

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

rabidsquid posted:

Slows do.

They force them.

Flash isn't the problem in this case. How many champions have dashes and repositions on <20 cooldowns now? Flash is a totally different beast. The problem with mobility creep in champion abilities is that it has trivialized a lot of things, slows being one of them. Getting slowed 50% for 2 seconds just plain doesn't matter if you have an easy, spammable get out of jail free card.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i literally dont even know how to respond to a comment as ridiculous as "dashes trivialize slows"

edit: except for back when lucian dash literally removed them

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 5, 2017

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Who knows if riots' spaghetti code even has cast speed as a variable

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Neurolimal posted:

Who knows if riots' spaghetti code even has cast speed as a variable

It does. They added that to Lucian just recently, his Q will go from 0.4 casttime to 0.25 over the course of levels

(it was 0.35 fixed previously)

Orv
May 4, 2011
I would like a hero who can only AA, and has only one ability, that is a passive, that prevents a Riven in that game from using their Q.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

rabidsquid posted:

i literally dont even know how to respond to a comment as ridiculous as "dashes trivialize slows"

edit: except for back when lucian dash literally removed them

A slow is a huge deal if you don't have any mobility abilities.

If you can freely dash to safety every time you get slowed then a slow just doesn't affect you.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
When Yi is selected in Treeline, its a loss every time.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

LeJackal posted:

When Yi is selected in Treeline, its a loss every time.

Yi has a 52% winrate in Treeline: http://www.metasrc.com/na/3v3/current/tierlist. He can kill tanks, clear fast, and against low CC comps there actually might not be that much you can do against him.

blah_blah fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Mar 5, 2017

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What is this "Treeline" you speak of

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's the place where you go for free Challenger icons.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
A fun place where people finish levelling to 30 before they head to Summoner's Rift and forget about it.

I'd take my Lulu and a friend's Mundo with a random and have good times.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

blah_blah posted:

Yi has a 52% winrate in Treeline: http://www.metasrc.com/na/3v3/current/tierlist. He can kill tanks, clear fast, and against low CC comps there actually might not be that much you can do against him.

Sorry, I should have added in that every time I've seen him he's last pick after the other team has assembled a Devil's Dozen of hard CC and burst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Catching up on beyond the rift

"Have you ever played Aatrox vs. Yasuo and what do you think of that matchup? And now think about it... in the context that aatrox is going to be EVEN STRONGER"

• Locked thread