Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I feel like the thing that's most important to me in terms of PC case after noise level and not having a light show panel is easy access utility USB ports on the front. It's interesting how few of those there are.

Also I caught myself looking hungrily at the Asus 4k monitor that runs at 144hz before trying to count the number of games that would actually run at that speed and laughing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

JoelJoel posted:

I'm looking to pull the trigger on my parts orders but the G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory I was eyeing is sold out. Is there a comparable for the same price point or should I wait?

In stock here for $71

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820231941

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Yeah, I refreshed since this morning and they were back. Thanks!

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
The Ballistix E die kits are quite close in price if you want something that overclocks better.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Jack the Lad posted:

Okay, I'm planning to hit the button on this today - how does it look, thread?

The GPU is a placeholder for the EVGA 2070 Super Black.

I realise I could drop down to a 3600, 2060 Super and 16GB RAM for a fair bit less and I've been waffling back and forth on that, but I think I want to splash out a bit.

Is there a "best" model of spinny drive if I want some extra (2-4TB) storage?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (£319.99 @ AWD-IT)
Motherboard: MSI - B450M MORTAR Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£83.46 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: *Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£136.98 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Intel - 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£97.27 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Video Card (£479.99)
Case: Fractal Design - Define Mini C MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£69.95 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: *SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£78.11 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £1265.75

I would avoid the 660p or Crucial P1 for a main system drive. They're based on QLC NAND which trades endurance and performance for lower cost, and performance drops to sub-SATA levels as they fill. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there's as many good NVMe deals in the UK, but ADATA's new sx6000 Pro is pretty close (£108) and has better performance and endurance.

brains
May 12, 2004

question for you guys: looking to upgrade my GTX 970 used with a 1080p 144hz monitor.

i've been looking at used GTX 1080s on ebay/craigslist, but this GTX 1660 Ti is about $255 right now on newegg: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/FdBTwP/msi-geforce-gtx-1660-ti-6-gb-armor-oc-video-card-gtx-1660-ti-armor-6g-oc

is the performance increase over a 970 worth going this route or should i just get a brand new 2070 or something?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
How does the MSI B450-A Pro compare to the Tomahawk or Carbon if I want to overclock an R5 3600 (those are sold out at MC. They have other brands too)? Would the stock cooler be able to handle things or would a better cooler provide a better ceiling (assuming it isn't CPU limited). I was planning on getting a 360 AIO for my new Lian Li 011D, but the new Ryzens seem to already be near their ceiling so don't think a big AIO would do much. I'm thinking about the Scythe Mugen 5 instead, plus some intake fans.

It seems like thermals have become more advanced in the past 6 years since I last built, not to mention RGB. How is RGB even controlled? I have a corporate discount and can get these for about half off as an example https://www.bestbuy.com/site/therma...p?skuId=6339072

I also don't really know anything about fan curve, PWM, really anything manual about fans. I've never done that with my current PC, I've only done manual CPU overclocking in the BIOS but the temp control has always been fixed.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

brains posted:

question for you guys: looking to upgrade my GTX 970 used with a 1080p 144hz monitor.

i've been looking at used GTX 1080s on ebay/craigslist, but this GTX 1660 Ti is about $255 right now on newegg: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/FdBTwP/msi-geforce-gtx-1660-ti-6-gb-armor-oc-video-card-gtx-1660-ti-armor-6g-oc

is the performance increase over a 970 worth going this route or should i just get a brand new 2070 or something?

Check out Babeltech's 1660 Ti benchmarks for a sense of what you might expect at ultra/high settings. Your 970 should have slightly less performance than the 1060 listed in the charts, and the new 2060 Supers (starting at $400) have basically 2070 performance. Babeltech is using an 8700k so if you're CPU is less powerful you might hit the CPU bottleneck at lower fps for some games.

KingKapalone posted:

How does the MSI B450-A Pro compare to the Tomahawk or Carbon if I want to overclock an R5 3600 (those are sold out at MC. They have other brands too)? Would the stock cooler be able to handle things or would a better cooler provide a better ceiling (assuming it isn't CPU limited). I was planning on getting a 360 AIO for my new Lian Li 011D, but the new Ryzens seem to already be near their ceiling so don't think a big AIO would do much. I'm thinking about the Scythe Mugen 5 instead, plus some intake fans.

It seems like thermals have become more advanced in the past 6 years since I last built, not to mention RGB. How is RGB even controlled? I have a corporate discount and can get these for about half off as an example https://www.bestbuy.com/site/therma...p?skuId=6339072

I also don't really know anything about fan curve, PWM, really anything manual about fans. I've never done that with my current PC, I've only done manual CPU overclocking in the BIOS but the temp control has always been fixed.

The B450-A Pro is roughly equivalent to a Tomahawk, so it will be fine with anything up to a 3900X. The VRM is the same, but cooling is ever so slightly worse.

Ryzen stock coolers will get you very close to the precision boost overdrive limit and there's really not much performance to be had going beyond that. That goes double for 3rd-gen Ryzen - just let the boost do it's thing and don't bother trying to manually overclock. The stock coolers are louder and hotter than aftermarket coolers, though, so a Mugen 5 is a fine choice if noise is important. (E: what OJ said - the 3600's stock cooler has less overhead than the 3600x's)

The RGB fan kit you linked comes with a controller box. You connect your fans to the box and connect the box to an internal USB 2.0 header, and then the RGB and fan speed are controlled through Thermaltake's software.

PWM fans just mean that they're controllable with a pulse signal instead of by directly varying the voltage. That generally increases the precision of control and makes them controllable at lower RPM than DC-controlled 3-pin fans. Setting up fan curves is usually pretty easy in bios, but the default fan curve is usually pretty good.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 9, 2019

DEUSFORORUM
Aug 28, 2003
I'm putting together two machines and just wanted to do a quick sanity check before I pull the trigger.

Gaming Machine

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.00 @ B&H)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($29.99)
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($55.98)
Storage: Inland - Premium 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($97.99)
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX 5700 8 GB Video Card ($299.99)
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($83.99)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99)

Server Machine

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($329.00 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X570-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($199.99)
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($119.99)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Inland - Premium 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($97.99)
Storage: Western Digital - Red 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Western Digital - Red 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Western Digital - Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2 GB Superclocked Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Corsair - Graphite Series 230T ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

KingKapalone posted:

Well, Ryzens ship quite close to the limit but there is decent wiggle room (a couple hundred MHz) in non X processors. The stock cooler on a non X processor also does not have a whole hell of a lot of thermal headroom, so investing in a moderate air cooler is a good idea if you're planning on overclocking your CPU.

The "god feature" of X (3600X/3700X etc) series chips with Ryzen is a system called Precision Boost Overdrive (E:I guess they have this on non X chips? Maybe I was thinking of eXtended Frequency Range?), which is not included in the cheaper non X chips. It basically makes the CPU poll the VRM and all other CPU related systems and ask if there is additional headroom in power delivery or thermals even beyond specified TDP or factory frequency limits. If there is, it will continue to increase the all core CPU clock speed until it hits the CPUs max stable clock, which it checks and reevaluates constantly to ensure its own stability. There's basically zero room between the maximum you can achieve with XFR and a manual clock (in fact often it is impossible to achieve XFR's performance on manual overclocking), but you may be able to achieve the same results as XFR on less voltage if you're patient and lucky.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 9, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

orange juche posted:

The "god feature" of X (3600X/3700X etc) series chips with Ryzen is a system called Precision Boost Overdrive, which is not included in the cheaper non X chips. It basically makes the CPU poll the VRM and all other CPU related systems and ask if there is additional headroom in power delivery or thermals even beyond specified TDP or factory frequency limits. If there is, it will continue to increase the all core CPU clock speed until it hits the CPUs max stable clock, which it checks and reevaluates constantly to ensure its own stability. There's basically zero room between the maximum you can achieve with PBO and a manual clock (in fact often it is impossible to achieve PBO's performance on manual overclocking), but you may be able to achieve the same results as PBO on less voltage if you're patient and lucky.

That's actually gone out the window with 3rd-gen - the 3600 supports PBO! Basically the X now just gets you a better stock cooler and maybe binning (has that been confirmed?)

E: It's definitely still true for 2nd gen Ryzen, though - PBO was only enabled for the 2600X and 2700X, not 2600 or 2700. Precision Boost (non-overdrive) and XFR 2 were supported by both 'X' and 'non-X' 2nd-gen chips, but those don't automatically adjust voltages.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 9, 2019

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Stickman posted:

That's actually gone out the window with 3rd-gen - the 3600 supports PBO! Basically the X now just gets you a better stock cooler and maybe binning (has that been confirmed?)

E: It's definitely still true for 2nd gen Ryzen, though - PBO was only enabled for the 2600X and 2700X, not 2600 or 2700. Precision Boost (non-overdrive) and XFR 2 were supported by both 'X' and 'non-X' 2nd-gen chips, but those don't automatically adjust voltages.

Well it's good to see AMD has baked that into the lower price offerings on Zen 2, I imagine it was isolated to high end chips at first because it was new and they were probably unsure of if there would be a benefit to using it on chips that are likely not binned as well and don't come with a high end cooler. It's gone through a couple of iterations at this point iirc, increasing the polling rate and making the clock stick closer to the performance limit, as well as allowing it to use XFR2 and PBO2 on more than 2 cores if there's thermal headroom (chip below 60c).

AMD marketing and labelling for their subsystems is terrible and confusing. Precision Boost (what the non X chips used to have) is literally just Intel's Turbo Boost tech with no intelligent adjustment based on temps and VRM capability. PBO+XFR is the sporty tiptronic paddle shift transmission of overclocking, and I'm glad they've put it in the lower end chips, so I can look at those too when considering an upgrade down the road in the Ryzen 4xxx series.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 9, 2019

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

This immediately stuck out to me. You will not need 850W, unless you're going to do some insane experimental OCing. 650W should be perfectly fine. The rest on the gaming rig looks fine, can't speak as to the server one though.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer

OhFunny posted:

I think you'll be good. FFXIV isn't very demanding for a MMO and WoW's come a long with it's DirectX 12 implementation.

Stickman posted:

Do you live near a Microcenter? Most of their pre-built options in the $500-600 range are much more powerful, and would let you either play more intensive games or significantly extend the useful life of the machine.

E: Like OhFunny said, though, the 5675 should be fine for low-medium FFXIV and WoW

FilthyImp posted:

In addition to what was said, I'd probably just spend a little more for a Ryzen 5 or a slightly better GPU. It won't make too much of a difference for what you're going to run, but it'll extend the life of the system a bit.
Thanks for the advice, guys. I don't live near a Microcenter, sadly, so I'm just going to keep an eye on both the dell outlet and ebay to see if I can pick up a config like this with a Ryzen 5.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

CrazyLoon posted:

This immediately stuck out to me. You will not need 850W, unless you're going to do some insane experimental OCing. 650W should be perfectly fine. The rest on the gaming rig looks fine, can't speak as to the server one though.

I'll also add that the RMx is pretty long for a PSU. For mATX I'd go with something shorter like a Seasonic Focus Plus or EVGA G3.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
3700x is in stock on newegg.

https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-7-3700x/p/N82E16819113567?Item=N82E16819113567

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Out of stock in 10 minutes flat lmao. Resellers are really having a field day here, oyyy...

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
My 6600k is getting a bit long in the tooth with only 4 cores/threads. I was contemplating getting a 3700x, but saw the 9700k was reduced to basically the same price.

Since I only use my PC for gaming (144hz/1440p) I think I'll go with the Intel but I was wondering what's a good motherboard to go with it. I'm buying from microcenter and would like the motherboard to cost less than 200.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

CrazyLoon posted:

Out of stock in 10 minutes flat lmao. Resellers are really having a field day here, oyyy...

Still showing add to cart for me. I was able to get my order placed and had it in my cart for about 10 minutes while doing so and adding other items.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Hackan Slash posted:

My 6600k is getting a bit long in the tooth with only 4 cores/threads. I was contemplating getting a 3700x, but saw the 9700k was reduced to basically the same price.

Since I only use my PC for gaming (144hz/1440p) I think I'll go with the Intel but I was wondering what's a good motherboard to go with it. I'm buying from microcenter and would like the motherboard to cost less than 200.

The Gigabyte Aorus Pro or Aorus Pro Wifi are top value in features/$$ for Z390.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Science_enthusiast posted:

Howdy,

Me and my wife make music together. She just got a modest amount of funding and we want to buy a dedicated PC for recording music. At the moment we use my ageing macbook (mid 2012 with udgraded 16gb RAM and 500gb SSD) which is fine but I use it for other stuff and we have a room in our house that we use as a studio and it would be nice just to have a perm- set up.

We live in Germany and our budget is 400Eur max (350 pref.) so I gather it is not worth the hassle of building something myself...

therefore my question-

I found this deal on Ebay which seems like it would more than do the job and I was looking for a second opinion as I haven't bought a computer in over 10 years (said laptop was a university freebie)

here are the specs,

AMD FX 8300 8 Core GT 710 2GB SSD 256GB Windows 10 16GB DDR3

I can add an additional 1TB HDD for 40Eur (which I would do)

There is also the option to upgrade the graphics to gt 730 2gb for 26 EUR- not sure how essential this is with regards to using a DAW (we use ableton 10 btw, sometimes with quite a few plug-ins), but have read the 710 is dog poo poo. Also I might want to do a little sneaky PC gaming on the side is its possible (as long as it runs New Vegas that is more than enough)

here is the full specs list, it is in german but you should be able to see relevant info,

Prozessor: AMD FX 8300
Gehäuseanschluss: USB3.0 (Mainboard abhängig), USB2.0, Audio In/Out
Prozessorsockel: AM3+
Betriebssystem: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Mainboard: Asus M5A78L-M LE/USB3
Betriebssystemversion: Professional
Hardware-Anschluss: Audio, LAN, PS2, USB 2.0, USB 3.0, VGA, DVI, RS232
Herstellungsland und -region: Deutschland
Arbeitsspeicher:: 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz (2x8GB)
Prozessorgeschwindigkeit: 8 x 4,2GHz Turbotakt
Sonstiges:: Erweiterungsoptionen siehe Konfigurator
Arbeitsspeicher (RAM): 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz (2x8GB)
Grafikkarte: Nvidia Geforce GT 710 2GB
Festplattenkapazität: 256GB
Boot-Festplattentyp: SSD (Solid State Disk)
Grafikprozessor: Dedizierte Grafik
SSD-Festplattenkapazität: 256GB
Marke: ASUS SI
Formfaktor: Micro Tower
Herstellernummer: 20190772
Gehäuse: MA-01 Micro Tower

It'll certainly be better than your laptop. I tried to use pcpartpicker to build a better pc for you, but couldn't get the cost below €450 and that was before adding the Windows license. Perhaps another goon will have better luck.

I would recommend replacing the power supply if it is past its warranty date.

edit: I don't have any music editing experience so I can't comment the improvement, if any, the 730 would provide over the 710.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 9, 2019

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I like the look of Aorus, but I always hear people talking bad about Gigabyte. Do they make good motherboards / GPU's?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Science_enthusiast posted:

Howdy,

Me and my wife make music together. She just got a modest amount of funding and we want to buy a dedicated PC for recording music. At the moment we use my ageing macbook (mid 2012 with udgraded 16gb RAM and 500gb SSD) which is fine but I use it for other stuff and we have a room in our house that we use as a studio and it would be nice just to have a perm- set up.

Before thinking about a computer, a question: what recording interface do you use (if any)? That may be an important use for some of your money, or it may have impacts on what computer you wind up with. (Also depends on what kind of music you're doing; if you don't record any live instruments/voice, you may not need one at all.)

DAWs do not give a poo poo about your video card; a GT710 would be fine for that. (There was some investigation into using GPUs as compute for plugins; it's basically been abandoned to the best of my knowledge.) So assume any graphics upgrade is purely to game with.

If you aren't doing serious multi-track recording (and if you're talking 400 euros budget, I'm going to assume you aren't recording 16+ 192/32 tracks at once) you don't need anything particularly impressive on the storage side and a decent spinning disk will be fine.

Basically, your limiting factors are CPU speed and threads (your workload *is* the kind that generally responds well to parallelization), and then recording equipment like interfaces, mics, and/or software instruments.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

For all you new Ryzen builders getting in on Team Red, there's an important thing you need to make sure is set when you've finished building your PC.

When you first boot up your PC after getting it all put together, ensure that your power settings in Windows are set to Balanced, not High Performance, or Ryzen Balanced (Ryzen Balanced is obsolete and will actually hurt performance and not allow the CPU to control its own voltage or current).

If you leave Ryzen Balanced on, you will see something like this in Ryzen Master basically at all times, ignore the CPU temp because the snapshot was taken while benching.

Note the pegged out EDC (Peak CPU current). This is bad during sustained periods, not healthy for VRMs or the tiny little pathways inside your CPU. Ryzen Balanced basically locks your CPU to 8 core turbo frequency at the maximum power capability of your VRM at all times regardless of utilization, because you sure as gently caress won't hit the thermal limit of the CPU or socket most likely. Windows' Balanced power setting allows the CPU to put unused cores to sleep and push 2-4 cores to an increased frequency limit for a millisecond, I've seen quad core burst frequencies of 4.4 GHz instead of 4.025GHz.

If you do need to run something that fully loads the processor, the Windows Balanced power setting will drop back to the Ryzen Balanced behavior of continuing to push all cores until you hit 60C+ or 100% of your VRM capacity, and then stopping the turbo increase. I just coincidentally happen to hit 100% of my VRM capacity an 60C+ at the same time.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 9, 2019

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
building a new pc for the first time since *checks watch* 2010, wow. so what the gently caress has happened to pc parts. do people seriously like having flashing rainbow lights on their goddamn ram. i guess i'm now officially old :smith:

anyway 3700x in a B450 looks solid, would get an x570 but i hate fans and i guess it doesn't matter? and i'm basically going to buy whatever ram i can find that fits in the slots and doesn't try to turn my house into a goddamn disco, wish me luck

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Soricidus posted:

building a new pc for the first time since *checks watch* 2010, wow. so what the gently caress has happened to pc parts. do people seriously like having flashing rainbow lights on their goddamn ram. i guess i'm now officially old :smith:

I mean, the flashy lights were everywhere in 2010 as well, they just actually look a lot more aesthetically pleasing to the eye than they ever used to. But yea, you can also get components that don't have :pcgaming: lights.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Soricidus posted:

anyway 3700x in a B450 looks solid, would get an x570 but i hate fans and i guess it doesn't matter? and i'm basically going to buy whatever ram i can find that fits in the slots and doesn't try to turn my house into a goddamn disco, wish me luck

Do note that since the 3700x is a new CPU you are extremely likely to get a board that requires a BIOS update before you can install your 3700x. Most boards do not have a CPU-less flash function, so ensure that you have a CPU that is compatible on hand, or go to a microcenter or local PC store (not best buy) and have them flash an updated BIOS for a handful of bucks.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Stickman posted:

I would avoid the 660p or Crucial P1 for a main system drive. They're based on QLC NAND which trades endurance and performance for lower cost, and performance drops to sub-SATA levels as they fill. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there's as many good NVMe deals in the UK, but ADATA's new sx6000 Pro is pretty close (£108) and has better performance and endurance.

Cool, thanks, I've swapped that out.

Is the RAM I've got in here okay? It's from a parametric filter for 2x8 and 3200 but I've read a lot about overclocking etc with Ryzen 2, not sure how much of a performance gain there may to be had there.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

With these new procs finally out, which should I snag?

I've got a 1660 ti on a 1080p 144hz monitor. So targeting >100 fps at that res.

Don't play many AAA games, but do play a lot of Paradox stuff that sorta cpu intensive. Or at least with my current cpu that's what's turding out. But count me in the "i'd like to run Cyberpunk" crowd.

Current cpu is an i5 4440.

Amazon has this frequently bought together thing is this good:

This item:AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 6-core, 12-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Wraith Spire Cooler $249.00

MSI Arsenal Gaming AMD Ryzen 1st and 2nd Gen AM4 M.2 USB 3 DDR4 DVI HDMI Crossfire ATX Motherboard… $99.99

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Desktop Memory Kit - Black… $79.99

-- $428.98

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

orange juche posted:

Do note that since the 3700x is a new CPU you are extremely likely to get a board that requires a BIOS update before you can install your 3700x. Most boards do not have a CPU-less flash function, so ensure that you have a CPU that is compatible on hand, or go to a microcenter or local PC store (not best buy) and have them flash an updated BIOS for a handful of bucks.

Since I recently found out that I am going to have to do something about this (buying the mini itx rog strix), can I simply just put my entire PC together using my Ryzen 1600, flash the BIOS to the most recent version using the internet, and then take out the ryzen 1600 and insert the ryzen 3700x? I know that's a pain in the rear end... but I don't have a fancy PC store near me that would do it for me.

Unless there is another ITX board out there that will allow me to USB flash it.... but I don't think there is.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 9, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Since I recently found out that I am going to have to do something about this (buying the mini itx rog strix), can I simply just put my entire PC together using my Ryzen 1600, flash the BIOS to the most recent version using the internet, and then take out the ryzen 1600 and insert the ryzen 3700x? I know that's a pain in the rear end... but I don't have a fancy PC store near me that would do it for me.

Unless there is another ITX board out there that will allow me to USB flash it.... but I don't think there is.

Yes, but save yourself a lot of headache and put it together on top of the Mobo box to do it instead of putting everything in the case.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Thanks for the comments earlier y'all, I went with some fancier options for the case & RAM:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower Case
PCPartPicker (UK) link

Parts arriving tomorrow, not sure if I'll have time to put it together before the weekend, but gonna be good. :toot:

Anyway, one more question: how does Windows 10 behave when I just change most of the computer parts from under it? I.e. old installation on old SSD? Do I have to re-activate my licence or however the heck that all works? (I've literally never done a partial PC upgrade before, heh.)

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Jack the Lad posted:

Cool, thanks, I've swapped that out.

Is the RAM I've got in here okay? It's from a parametric filter for 2x8 and 3200 but I've read a lot about overclocking etc with Ryzen 2, not sure how much of a performance gain there may to be had there.

Yeah, Corsair Vengeance are good. 32GB isn't really necessary for gaming right now, so unless you have something else you're using it for it's safe to drop down to 16.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

For anyone considering a 1660 or 1660 Ti: NVidia is currently bundling 2060s on up with copies of Control and Wolfenstein: Youngblood (the new one releasing in a few weeks). If you'd be likely to buy one or both of those games a launch, a 2060 might end up being cheaper than a 1660 or 1660 Ti.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 9, 2019

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

ItBreathes posted:

Yes, but save yourself a lot of headache and put it together on top of the Mobo box to do it instead of putting everything in the case.

This is an extremely good call. Thank you.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

orange juche posted:

i'm looking at the msi b450 tomahawk recommended upthread and google seems to think that one can be flashed without a cpu, please correct me if i'm wrong about that!

e: also not committed to upgrading right this minute, is stock availability likely to get better if i hold off and pray for better motherboard options? i don't really have a feel for today's market :v:

Soricidus fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 9, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

jaete posted:

Thanks for the comments earlier y'all, I went with some fancier options for the case & RAM:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower Case
PCPartPicker (UK) link

Parts arriving tomorrow, not sure if I'll have time to put it together before the weekend, but gonna be good. :toot:

Anyway, one more question: how does Windows 10 behave when I just change most of the computer parts from under it? I.e. old installation on old SSD? Do I have to re-activate my licence or however the heck that all works? (I've literally never done a partial PC upgrade before, heh.)

If you change out enough parts, you'll need to reactivate Windows. Worse case scenario you'll have to call support and they'll square you away, but you probably won't need to go that far. It's usually a good idea to do a fresh install to avoid driver issues, but there's no harm in giving it a go without one. Either way, I'd do a complete backup of anything important and make a Windows 10 install USB drive before swapping anything out.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Since I know some people are still looking:

Newegg has 3700X back in stock

Bestbuy has 3900X restock up for preorder

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I feel like I really got hosed over ordering from AMD directly. I ordered like Sunday at 11am EST. They charged me immediately, and there's been like no update since. You can't speak to anyone directly at AMD. It as processed immediately, and they said you can't cancel an order once it's been processed. Apparently everyone on r/AMD who ordered through them is going through the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
People who ordered from Best Buy are having the same issue.

https://twitter.com/KeithPlaysPC/status/1148609037354844160