Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

highme posted:

I don't know. A derail on the proper use of apostrophes could be handy for some posters.

Which one's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Xae posted:

He can only understand things in terms of competition.

Hillary lost, which means Fred Trump will punish her.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
as i've said before, part of the thrill of choosing to go to north korea over any other nation on earth is because of the low key thrill that the korean secret police may nab you and throw you in a gulag. it's not a nice place - you are constantly supervised, the food is terrible, the atmosphere is terrible, everything is terrible. it's like getting in a time machine so you can tour 1960's east germany. there is no compelling reason to go there unless you want to gawk at and indulge in the atmosphere of a repressive brutal totalitarian society. so if you do something dumb and the secret police actually do electrify your nipples, you kind of lose your ability to claim victimhood

in a surprise to nobody, danger tourism is... dangerous? can that be true?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Xae posted:

A few years back there was a scare about people being able to get encryption keys from memory after it was removed from a computer. The abstract of the article got published before the details, but once the details came out it turns out that the process involved included cooling the chip to near absolute zero and then scanning it, while still near absolute zero, with an electron microscope.

I bet Russia wants a place like that.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

Jealous Cow posted:

They must pay an electoral price for this.

Just burn it all down. This is so cartoonishly evil that the whole process needs to be started over. Everybody, back to the ships, we're taking it from the top, and for god's sake let's get the whole gun thing right this time.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I mean at this point, the Democrats taking turns pulling the fire alarm to physically prevent the vote is justified.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

boner confessor posted:

as i've said before, part of the thrill of choosing to go to north korea over any other nation on earth is because of the low key thrill that the korean secret police may nab you and throw you in a gulag. it's not a nice place - you are constantly supervised, the food is terrible, the atmosphere is terrible, everything is terrible. it's like getting in a time machine so you can tour 1960's east germany. there is no compelling reason to go there unless you want to gawk at and indulge in the atmosphere of a repressive brutal totalitarian society. so if you do something dumb and the secret police actually do electrify your nipples, you kind of lose your ability to claim victimhood

Sounds like touring Afghanistan would be more fun. Same danger, better food and culture.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

boner confessor posted:

he's not really a victim though? as far as we know he committed a criminal act in north korea. i've said the punishment was wildly unjust but as north korea is a sovereign state with an independent criminal justice system the wise thing to do would be to not break the law in north korea. the reason people think he's a victim is because

1) the punishment is excessive, which i just said i agree with but tough poo poo thats how independent states work

2) north korea must have lied for reasons nobody seems to be able to describe or substantiate aside from the fact that they are, and i use the legal term here, "bad guys"

how is he a victim, given that he most likely committed a criminal act? (and because this thread is being really stupid right now, i do not think his act should be criminalized either)

this is what you're going with? that a person can't be a victim of an unjust law? lol

quote:

since you're climbing up on a little rickety wooden high horse here for the most moronic of reasons would you care to share your opinions re: the relative benefits of stomping kittens to death? so long as we're getting it all out on the record about whether unjust punishments are a bad or good thing

im just pointing how dumb your white privilege argument is. why are you going through so much effort to make sure everyone knows that it's this guy's fault for apparently getting murdered by the state over a poster?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
How does this turtle gently caress live with himself? Possiblythe worst person in Congress.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

BarbarianElephant posted:

Sounds like touring Afghanistan would be more fun. Same danger, better food and culture.

NK has better weed, though.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

HappyHippo posted:

this is what you're going with? that a person can't be a victim of an unjust law? lol

not if you've done everything you can to put yourself in that situation

HappyHippo posted:

im just pointing how dumb your white privilege argument is. why are you going through so much effort to make sure everyone knows that it's this guy's fault for apparently getting murdered by the state over a poster?

the us state department basically advises us citizens not to go to north korea because of the risk that you'll end up in some horrible prison over stupid poo poo

"help, stuck my hand in a gator's mouth and it was bit off. there was a fence around the enclosure but i jumped it, also ignored signs warning of danger. do i have grounds to sue?"

e: also lol at "why are you discussing things in the discussion forum? why are you having a conversation with me right now, are you a tryhard :smug:" just stop quoting me then moron if you dont like me posting at you, jeez

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 15, 2017

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/875451213491437568

https://twitter.com/alexis_levinson/status/875450191444402177

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ague Proof posted:

How does this turtle gently caress live with himself? Possiblythe worst person in Congress.

He's actually very happy. He's the kind of smug little poo poo that gets off on getting away with stuff/using little rules to hurt people, I guarantee you that. No-one normal makes 'I want to be Senate Majority Leader, nothing higher, nothing lower' their big life-long ambition.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

HappyHippo posted:

It's more interesting to me watching the outrage when those foreigners ruin a dude over petty theft and complete acceptance and boredom at the thought of our state doing it to our fellow citizens.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

mcmagic posted:

They stole a SCOTUS seat and benefited from it electorally.

On the bright side Scalia is still dead.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

NOTHING TO SEE HERE

https://twitter.com/AshleyRParker/status/875458477472317441

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ague Proof posted:

Let's not get crazy here.

Although I guess Ted Cruz isn't technically a person.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sorus posted:

On the bright side Scalia is still dead.

Gorsuch is worse.

ADudeWhoAbides
Mar 30, 2010

HappyHippo posted:

Is it some big secret that NK is a totalitarian state with insanely disproportional punishments? No, so don't go there. Jesus, if you were at a zoo and came across a pen of rabid wolverines and decided to climb in, that's on you.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

boner confessor posted:

not if you've done everything you can to put yourself in that situation

this is an incredibly dumb argument to be making. interracial marriage pre-loving v virginia was a surefire way to get yourself into a heap of trouble, and everyone knew that. yet i'm sure you wouldn't say richard and mildred loving "did everything they could to put themselves in that situation" and therefore weren't victims. unjust laws create victims because they are unjust. whether or not people knowingly violated an unjust law or did so accidentally doesn't change the fact that they are victimized by an unjust law.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

That's interesting. Why hire a lawyer unless you're sure you're going to be questioned? Might just be precautionary on Pence's part...

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
i agree north korea is bad and you shouldn't go there

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

botany posted:

this is an incredibly dumb argument to be making. interracial marriage pre-loving v virginia was a surefire way to get yourself into a heap of trouble, and everyone knew that. yet i'm sure you wouldn't say richard and mildred loving "did everything they could to put themselves in that situation" and therefore weren't victims. unjust laws create victims because they are unjust. whether or not people knowingly violated an unjust law or did so accidentally doesn't change the fact that they are victimized by an unjust law.

well when people are moving to north korea to get married let me know but stripping out the context of this discussion to talk about the abstract justness of punishments is pretty stupid given that people have the choice to not cross international borders into Gulagsville. people are going to fall in love, nobody's going to be biologically compelled to travel to a stalinist state and litter

like the analogy here for otto warmbeir vs. interracial marriage is if a white man turned black through sheer force of will then married a white woman in the jim crow south

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 15, 2017

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Alter Ego posted:

That's interesting. Why hire a lawyer unless you're sure you're going to be questioned? Might just be precautionary on Pence's part...

On the one hand, it would be 100% the smart move even if you're sure that you were innocent.

On the other hand, I wonder if he cleared it with Trump first...

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

ADudeWhoAbides posted:

Is it some big secret that NK is a totalitarian state with insanely disproportional punishments? No, so don't go there. Jesus, if you were at a zoo and came across a pen of rabid wolverines and decided to climb in, that's on you.

If a zoo exhibited a pen of rabid wolverines, they would be sued for inadequate medical care of an at risk species. :colbert:

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HappyHippo posted:

i too like to blame the victim
Holy poo poo. "Victim blaming" does not obliterate personal responsibility. You can't jam your fist in an alligator's mouth and go "Welp, don't blame the victim". "Victim blaming" is about turning innocuous behavior into a punishable crime. Wearing a skirt, no matter how high, is not an invitation to rape, wearing bleeding fish pants in the ocean isn't innocuous, it's provocation. Purposely doing something known to be dangerous is provocation, and, like all provocation, the response may be disproportional but it is expected and, mostly, inevitable.

ADudeWhoAbides
Mar 30, 2010

botany posted:

Are you seriously comparing interracial marriage on the same level as an idiot tourist going to a dangerous country?

Hint: one of those things is a right worth fighting/being imprisoned/maybe dying for, and the other is being an idiot tourist.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Oxxidation posted:

Gorsuch is worse.

In that he's younger. But you'd have to go back to the Jim Crow era to get a justice as bad as Scalia.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

In that he's younger. But you'd have to go back to the Jim Crow era to get a justice as bad as Scalia.

I contend that Thomas and Alito are worse than Scalia and Neil "Scalia 2.0" Gorsuch

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/875461240235196416

Tunafish
Jun 13, 2003
King of all that is suck
Fun Shoe
I'm as big a fan of robust discussion as anyone but re: North Korea - can't we agree that pragmatically anyone going there is at heightened risk of getting hosed up for bad reasons and ideally we want that to not be the case but have like 0 effect on that change happening?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ADudeWhoAbides posted:

Hint: one of those things is a right worth fighting/being imprisoned/maybe dying for, and the other is being an idiot tourist.

we must appeal to the united nations for our most essential human right - the right to travel to other nations and trespass and vandalize official property without consequence

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Why do people continue to treat things Trump does or says as being informed by any thought at all, instead of a random string of insane rambling

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

B B posted:

That's fair, and like I said I know almost nothing about Senate procedure. I'm mostly posting it because Senate Dems may need some prodding from constituents to actually do it, so make calls if you can.

I just called my senators today

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
the third level of maslow's heirarchy is basically love, acceptance, social bonding, and the ability to do petty crimes. i saw it in a book once

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

I contend that Thomas and Alito are worse than Scalia and Neil "Scalia 2.0" Gorsuch
Thomas is at least internally consistent, if you value that sort of thing. Alito is just awful, but everyone knows it and even the other justices occasionally toss shade at him. The thing that made Scalia truly bad was that his awful loving opinions were covered in a veneer of seemingly-respectable legal rigor.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Trump, a lying fuckhead? Who knew?

:allears: I hope this is a portent of good things to come.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

On the one hand, it would be 100% the smart move even if you're sure that you were innocent.

On the other hand, I wonder if he cleared it with Trump first...

and risk Donnie giving him the business card of one of his terrible lawyers and the two losing moves that it entails?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Alter Ego posted:

I think he knows it's all over and is trying to save himself or keep himself in the vp slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Alter Ego posted:

Anyone with a brain in this administration should be lawyering up asap, innocent or not

• Locked thread