Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

PMC in this context is professional managerial class, a bullshit term

PMC referring to private military contractor is a separate context

thinking the second in this context is like "whoa whoa whoa dude, I asked for a car, why did you infect me with herpes?!" "you asked for an STI." "you're a suburu dealer you fuckin moron"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Lib and let die posted:

Yeah, I've always put that right up there with "you used to be able to leave your doors unlocked around here," which conveniently stops just short of "and then those [insert local scapegoat nonwhite demographic here] started moving in!"

i've never understood why being able to leave your doors unlocked was a good thing, absent of obvious racial dogwhistle. why would you want to not lock your doors, even if you trusted everyone in a mile radius?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Jewel Repetition posted:

You know that more densely populated areas have higher crime regardless of racial makeup, right?

Rural areas are chock full of crimes of every sort of description, everyone just knows everyone and nobody talks.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Cup Runneth Over posted:

why would you want to not lock your doors, even if you trusted everyone in a mile radius?

To save time locking and unlocking, to ensure you don't lock yourself out, or so your children or other friends and family can get in while you're out. It generally saves hassle.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

3D Megadoodoo posted:

So the sales guys making double what I make are working class? OK.

Absolutely! And you not thinking so is exactly what the capitalist class wants you to think.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Somehow I still don't think a definition of working class that includes people who can easily afford to (and do) become landlords is very useful.

something tells me you’ve never worked sales if you think all of those guys are raking in cash

it is feast or famine in sales

ElGroucho has issued a correction as of 21:33 on Dec 29, 2020

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I’ve always wondered, what exactly is it that the UK produces other than mediocre TV, and now I know

gross slimy tube fish

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

ElGroucho posted:

I’ve always wondered, what exactly is it that the UK produces other than mediocre TV, and now I know

gross slimy tube fish

before brexit they were also players in financial and insurance markets. also, bp I guess.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

only thing that makes me sad about being a computer toucher is i'll never get to do anything really talented like this

https://twitter.com/cctv_idiots/status/1343122287315267587

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

only thing that makes me sad about being a computer toucher is i'll never get to do anything really talented like this

Manual labor that probably pays nothing?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Develop horrendous lifelong joint pain?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

ElGroucho posted:

gross slimy tube fish

And raw sausages that the New EU Deal specifically bans!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55479354

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Cup Runneth Over posted:

just do it as a hobby with your computer money

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

christmas boots posted:

Absolutely! And you not thinking so is exactly what the capitalist class wants you to think.

They are the capitalist class. They can afford to own things. I can't.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I'm sure you have a mindlessly repetitive task pushed by a manager focused on output that you can do.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I feel like you've been pretty beaten over the head with this but being the crab in the bucket who attacks the crab slightly higher than you without realizing that both of you get hosed by the guy holding the bucket is kind of the point, yeah? Like yeah that guy got a shiny new car but can still get completely boned by ownership of the company. Like literally your CEO wants you infighting with that guy so you never realize that the CEO is taking 1000x both of your combined pay. You being mad at him is the goal to keep you down and you're actively playing into it.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

ElGroucho posted:

something tells me you’ve never worked sales if you think all of those guys are raking in cash

it is feast or famine in sales

Even then, there's "classes" within sales. Sure, the guy with ten accounts the size of Metlife has a Manhattan penthouse, but the guy with a handful of small regional accounts is always going to be sweating their budget.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Gats Akimbo posted:

And raw sausages that the New EU Deal specifically bans!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55479354

quote:

Raw milk from cows infected with Bovine Tuberculosis (TB)

Does that mean they could export that poo poo before?!? :barf:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Cthulu Carl posted:

I'm sure you have a mindlessly repetitive task pushed by a manager focused on output that you can do.

yes but it doesn't look cool or interesting (much like me)

3D Megadoodoo posted:

you seem perfectly capable of owning yourself in this thread

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

3D Megadoodoo posted:

You’re much closer to them then they are to the class that actually own the means of production and you must never be allowed to realize it

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I'm the fastest copy and paster in the half-height cube farm.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

ElGroucho posted:

gross slimy tube fish

And novel covid variants. It's the most successful British export since the Spice Girls.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Zopotantor posted:

Does that mean they could export that poo poo before?!? :barf:
That's organic TB vaccine.

Nothus posted:

And novel covid variants. It's the most successful British export since the Spice Girls.
They didn't even make that, they just found it first.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Zeroisanumber posted:

The UK (and England specifically) seem to be under this continued delusion that Europe and the rest of the world need them way more than they do. The assumption was that they'd Brexit and then negotiate full market access agreements before it took effect. They figured they'd have both the markets and their precious racisms because who could live without the UK's market?

Brexiteers are under the delusion that Queen Victoria still rules the mightiest empire the world has ever known, that the French are reeling from losses at Agincourt, Trafalgar and Waterloo, that the Germans are crippled from losing the first and second world wars, and that on the whole Europe needs the benevolence of the UK more than the UK needs Europe dragging it down.

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

yes but it doesn't look cool or interesting (much like me)

you seem perfectly capable of owning yourself in this thread

I am a fellow computer toucher. Just pursue the things you want to pursue on your own time (also on company time when you can get away with it). I've been working on drawing and 3d modelling for a while, its fun. I also spend 1-2 weekends a month volunteering with Habitat For Humanity (or I did befire covid); I find construction labor fun and interesting, and its cool seeing people work who are really good at it and learning from them.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Hillary 2020 posted:

Brexiteers are under the delusion that Queen Victoria still rules the mightiest empire the world has ever known, that the French are reeling from losses at Agincourt, Trafalgar and Waterloo, that the Germans are crippled from losing the first and second world wars, and that on the whole Europe needs the benevolence of the UK more than the UK needs Europe dragging it down.

And that they won the world cup in soccer once.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Please stop using the term PMC. It obscures the need for unity across the working class, replacing it with a liberal belief in an ever-growing multitude of classes. Income is not a class signifier.

Just use the term class traitor where appropriate.

PMC, whether in ehrenreich's formulation or the various other takes on the phenomena, usually isn't defined based on income tho

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/1344113604723941377

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Finicums Wake posted:

PMC, whether in ehrenreich's formulation or the various other takes on the phenomena, usually isn't defined based on income tho

it's defined based on bullshit, because it means gently caress-all and only exists to siphon off some time to talk about how it doesn't matter as an identifier

it doesn't serve any benefit, it makes it harder to simplify the message to working class vs capital

Tempora Mutantur posted:

PMC is still a stupid loving term, BEB probably is too

it's all just working class vs shitlords (aka capitalist class); you're either working class or a working class traitor who doesn't realize your interests will always align with the rest of the working class because you aren't a capitalist and thinking you'll become one is on par with "I just gotta win the lottery, then my plan alllll comes together."

it's pretty much that simple and anyone adding more to that is, at the end of the day, sowing division within the working class to one degree or another (cause if it's just a pointless identifier when you otherwise actually mean class traitor, why use it, you know? either a 'PMC' person is a dipshit betraying their class, or they aren't and they're still just working class albeit in a more comfortable position)

working class interests are always at the heart of the working class regardless of whether a member of the class is a noble warehouse worker or a filthy computer toucher; it's the individual's choice to realize that even if they're a piece of poo poo warehouse foreman that they need to actually do right by their workers first, because they're still working class even though they get to wield the stick for a little bit

for anyone in this thread who actually gives half a gently caress about nuance, I highly recommend Yugopnik's video "The Middle Class Doesn't Exist" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVhdbOUelY4) which also talks about how PMC is a bullshit word that only exists to divide the left/working class

on the other hand, lol all posting is a waste of time, the gently caress am I doing with my life

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Tempora Mutantur posted:

it's defined based on bullshit, because it means gently caress-all and only exists to siphon off some time to talk about how it doesn't matter as an identifier

it doesn't serve any benefit, it makes it harder to simplify the message to working class vs capital

#BEB, is that when you shill for Biden and then write a post-election piece scolding people for being negative about the best intentions of the Democrats?

BEB is definitely as worthless as PMC, you're either willing to cast aside the idiotic notion that electoralism is valid or you aren't

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I saw this and rushed here to post it lol

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I saw this and rushed here to post it lol

when I posted this you better believe I dove in the thread through the window and did a double-take to make sure I wasn't too late

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

lol i'm 42 and survived covid you candy rear end bitch

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

At least he didnt die of COVID-19

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i posted this moron the other day when he went to the ICU. looks like he'll be owning libs from heaven from now on :911:

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

https://twitter.com/richardacarbo/status/1335422389493096454?s=20

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

that guy was 41 with no prior underlying health issues

but yes, let's continue to tempt fate :downs:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mr Interweb posted:

that guy was 41 with no prior underlying health issues

but yes, let's continue to tempt fate :downs:
Well, there was one, though he shares it with like 70% of the US. Which is kind of the reason it doesn't make sense to talk up "no prior underlying health issue", because underlying health issues are extremely common.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Well, there was one, though he shares it with like 70% of the US. Which is kind of the reason it doesn't make sense to talk up "no prior underlying health issue", because underlying health issues are extremely common.

which underlying health issue was that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

which underlying health issue was that?

Being overweight